Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing my boundaries and making my physio rich...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Swimming lesson this morning - 50 mins odd..

Last time I had a lesson with the same bloke [about a year ago] it was all about water confidence and not panicking, getting tense etc ->

This morning we spent about 5 mins on that, and the rest on trying to put the actual technique of swimming together. So plenty of stuff to work on, as I can do the parts on their own, but it falls apart doing it all at the same time [man = not able to multi-task] :)

Always good to see yourself making progress - and that posivitiy while Im injured from running is great :D.

Swimming last night again - coming along pretty well..

Hip actually feels fine now, but I'm going to rest until the club session in the park Saturday morning - maybe a very short gym/treadmill run Friday morning or night to ensure its all ok first?

Physio booked for Monday morning just in case, but lets hope its just me paying him €50 for a chat, and not "ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH - HELP" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Are you still doing Dublin this year?

Plan was always Berlin as target race...

I have been looking for an excuse to do Dublin if Im totally honest, but would really like to find someone I know who wants to do it some random time over 4 hours, and pace them around and do it for the craic and enjoyment and no focus on my own time at all....

Really wanted to go running this morning, but hip still not right, so took the hard decision to give it a bit of a test under planned conditions in the gym. Im 90% grand, but after sitting for long periods of after pushing it on the bike for several miles I get small pain - while the kind of thing you would not notice otherwise, Im conscious that loosing 2 more weeks to recover at this stage really ****s Berlin plans - so over cautious...

So 45 mins pretty hard on cross trainer with no problems [BOOOOOOOOOORING:eek:]

Did 30 mins general weights - when I was pushing the leg exercises I could feel the hip a tiny bit was a momentary twinge..

Did not go for a swim as I could not be arsed more than anything..

So don't know to go running tomorrow or not. Will decide in morning I guess...

• Advertisement

Clearance from physio to start running again, turns out my gamble last week to stop running for a week before seeing him was a good one :cool:

Slap on the wrist that I had gotten lazy with strength work [not that I had stopped, but gotten lazy with them and not pushing myself], which has lead to this issue. So for the next couple of months I will have to go postal with the aul lunges and squats and what not - 8 odd weeks to Berlin, so that is no drama tbh :)

This week was quite an easy week in the plan anyway, as I should have had 2 hard sessions this week just gone. So I don't have to change the plan too much - maybe change the mid-week tempo session to an easy light run, I will see.

7.Somthing k in 40 mins

Hip not amazing to be honest - but hoping thats the Physio work and dry needling earlier - we will see..

Just over 10k in 57 mins odd..

Hip so-so to be honest, I can feel pain there the longer I run but its not enough to make me want to stop, but any pain there cant be a good thing.

Im off to London for the day with work tomorrow, so next run Thursday, so it has 48 hours to calm down and relax :)

Was in London yesterday and half our office over there go for runs at lunch, many running for first time. That inspired me to give it a shot too, so did my first ever lunchtime run today...

I joined Crusaders as it was close to work, so a slow jog down to the track. Did three by 800m repeats at slightly faster each time to test out the hip. First at 5 min/km pace, second at circa 4.30/40 min/km pace and last one at faster than 4.30 pace - with a slow 400 in-between each set.

Feeling great now, this whole lunchtime run lark could well become a weekly thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Was in London yesterday and half our office over there go for runs at lunch, many running for first time. That inspired me to give it a shot too, so did my first ever lunchtime run today...

I joined Crusaders as it was close to work, so a slow jog down to the track. Did three by 800m repeats at slightly faster each time to test out the hip. First at 5 min/km pace, second at circa 4.30/40 min/km pace and last one at faster than 4.30 pace - with a slow 400 in-between each set.

Feeling great now, this whole lunchtime run lark could well become a weekly thing.

Its great for getting that extra 5 miles in sometimes, good recovery runs

• Advertisement

Friday - Rest day, did a 45 min swimming lesson.

Babysitting a 9 year old young lady who does not like sport last night, so it was my second Olympic free friday in a row :eek: But on the bright side Im more up to date on Mickey Mouse than I was...

This Morning:
    24.6k in 2 Hours 15 Mins and Change...

My own private adventure race this morning...

GF is working today, and a colleague of hers forgot something, so I got late phone call and had to literally run to reads in town and get printing done, while it was getting done I ran over to Fitzwilliam Square and did a few laps of that, ran back to reads, got huge amount of printing. Ran across town, carrying printing, to deliver it to GF's work...

Ran to the park, thinking I would have missed club session as I was late. I wanted to make it [down as being 4 by 4km's] - 10k done by time I met club, average of 5.30km pace. WRECKED!

In the park I found RQ and Dunore, and 2 or 3 bootcamp groups [*sigh*] and only then found my own gang! No warmup, had to get right into the session [own fault, I missed it]. For reasons Im still not clear on, the session we did was 5 by 2.5k, NOT 4 by 4km [I was late and missed explanation to be fair].

One of those sessions where Im glad Im with a club, as I would not have worked anything like that hard on my own. I was taking it somewhat easy on my hip, so did the first two at the goal pace for this session [faster than half pace, so circa 4.20km pace] next two at a fraction under marathon pace [5 min/km pace] and last one was a warm down.

Hip a bit sore at the end. Ran home and gave my new bath a test drive and Im brand new now, all the bull**** getting it installed by the worst transman in Ireland all worth it now :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you guys just do laps of the pitches?

Different sessions all the time, you know yourself, but im not a huge fan of that 2.5k loop of the pitches (wind is always in your face somewhere there, making it a good/hard session)

One of the reasons I wanted to go this morning, and see what they did for the 4k loops tbh :)

9.25k in 52 mins..

Easy run around Eamon Ceanat Park near by...

10.5k in 55 mins...

Wanted to go to a very interesting and challenging sounding club session, but did not get out of work until after 8pm, so ran home and made up an interesting run myself..

Did every second km at faster than marathon pace, around 4.40-50 pace. Good run home...

9.5k run into work in 50 mins on the nose..

Nothing to see here, functional run into work - tried to keep average pace around 5.20 per km for no real reason at all :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

9.5k run into work in 50 mins on the nose..

Nothing to see here, functional run into work - tried to keep average pace around 5.20 per km for no real reason at all :)

What's that in real money?

Triathletes are gone, some of yee need to cut this km crap. :mad:

5.20 min/km is 3.45 marathon pace, so that's around 8.35 min/miles

All the races I care about this year are KM based, so miles are dead to me :pac:

8k in 41 mins and change..

Was feeling lazy, but an amazing day so forced myself out on lunchtime run. Over to club track beside work here, made up a session on the spot, 1600, 800, 400 at strong pace with around a minute in-between and a good warm up and warm down. [should have done that in reverse really shouldn't I, and gotten longer and not shorter - maybe next week I will just do 4 x 800m or something]

Since I had no Garmin, I used Nike+ GPS on my phone, for the first time in ages [used it for a long time when I started running, have over 600 miles on it!!] - still love the ultra cheese person at end of your run saying well done :cool:

17k in 1.33

As usual I had two plans this morning, two groups I could have run with, and did neither as I was delayed at home waiting for someone, so did the run on my own. It really is the story of this marathon cycle for me, being late or away for things :D

Was not feeling it at all tbh, all a bit bla-di-bla and the longer I went I was looking for excuses to cut it short which is bad karma.

Did a few fast KM's early, but slowed a bit as I went on as I just could not be bothered today.

Need a good LSR with club in the morning, hope to get my groove back before then.

Final bit of work getting done in my bathroom now, so Im off to the gym for a shower :)

• Advertisement

Club LSR, 29k in 2 Hours 43 Mins

A rare outing for the heart monitor strap, and average HR was 147

Woke up at 5am and could not get back to sleep. Was going to just run then, but waited for the club session. We basically did two laps of the park. You really need company on runs like this. Some good characters in club, even if 5.20 KM pace is like walking pace for them :eek:

To be honest, afterwards I was a small bit down on myself as I was utterly wrecked at the end, and could not have done too many more KM's and really questioning my progress - but Im a bit cheered up by the fact that similar runs before Dublin and Paris were done about 15-20 seconds per KM slower than this, so I must be doing something right.

Overall the numbers and sessions point to a good training week, but Im tired and feeling rubbish [in my head]. Im off to London for a few days in the morning, one of my best mates getting married next weekend and Im off to west cork for a week afterwards - so training will be disrupted for next couple of weeks to say least, but I'll get it done somehow :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Feeling utterly wrecked by the end of a 29km run at that pace is kind of understandable, don't you think?! Fair play :)

In London for a few days with work, plan said 60 mins easy, so that's what I did, 10.5k odd in 60 mins, in and around regents park.

Massive amount of folks of all ages and sizes running and cycling around the park, which is great to see - maybe more than in the weeks before London Marathon tbh

I left Garmin at home by accident, in rush to get taxi yesterday morning at 5am :eek: So tomorrow plan tomorrow has 6 to 8 times 2.5k at around 10k effort etc, and I dont think Endomondo on my phone will be quite good enuf for that - so may just turn session into midweek LSR and do 10 miles or something? We will see...

So I had a brainwave yesterday, with no Garmin doing a speed/tempo session was next to impossible, so I turned it into a medium long run, and ran to and around Hyde Park, my first ever run around a genuine Olympic venue. Really was awe inspiring, seeing the amazing permanent features of the park, and also the Olympic structures...

So 15.5k in 1 Hour 25..

Tracked myself with Endomondo on my phone and tried to push the pace a small bit as I dont know what other running I will get done this week with mates wedding Friday.

My pace was really all over the shop, going from a few 5.50min/km's [around roads and traffic lights I hope] 4 or 5 circa 5 min/km's [good!], a few 5.30 min/km's and the rest in the ball park of 5.10-20 min/KM's-- How the hell did people pace random runs properly before GPS watches :confused:

Short and sweet as doing this on phone. Doing this on my holidays...

Friday and Saturday - did circa 5k both days, at wedding and more drinking than running..

Plan says 20 miler Tomorrow in west cork park, after 900 pints over last few days we will see how that goes :)

Just under 30k done in just under 3 hours.

Amazing venue, several lap of gaugan barra national park in west cork. Also great to have done this (where sitting on ass would have been very easy to find reason/excuse for!!!), legs in utter ruins from the mad hills!

Perfect preperation, with booze and no sleep all weekend. Light dinner last night with no carbs r protien. Woke up late and only had 2 slices of toast for brekkie

Can't wait to see profile of run off garmin - better be damn good as I'm siting here drinking some fat coke looking out at lake with legs in utter bits :)

7k in 40 mins

Recovery run in rolling west cork hills, very enjoyable - but legs a bit sore from run the other day.

A couple of days away somewhere nice with other half now, so next stop is the frank Duffy on saturday :cool:

(read post one on this log, the frank Duffy 2 years ago was the first time I ran in public! Gone quite well for me since then :))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

7k in 40 mins

Recovery run in rolling west cork hills, very enjoyable - but legs a bit sore from run the other day.

A couple of days away somewhere nice with other half now, so next stop is the frank Duffy on saturday :cool:

(read post one on this log, the frank Duffy 2 years ago was the first time I ran in public! Gone quite well for me since then :))

What's the goal J ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Vagga I'm following your log - you seem to be tipping away nicely but I'd be lying if I said it was giving me a huge indication of how you're getting on in advance of Berlin... Any chance you want to give the milers a quick low down in real mararthon language?! :D

Hopefully we'll see you and give you a good shout out on Saturday. Best of luck with it - you really have come a long way in two years!

Advertisement