Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Dublin become such a ****hole?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

How? Unless you stick to St Stephen's Green/Grafton street/D4, it's pretty unavoidable. And I think a lot of the destinations outside of those areas are actually more interesting.

And if you read my posts, I never said the whole city was a ****hole or a 'kip'.

Definitely agree on the areas outside the city...

Fitzwilliam Square, Iveagh Gardens, Grand Canal Dock, Kildare Street, St Patricks Cathedral for some, granted they are all on the southside - you don't have to directly encounter the quays for many of these as you can get bus/taxi/walk without having to take the quays route and many would be quicker avoiding them as well

Anyways, I'm not gonna bother continuing to arguing this. IMO Dublin has its problems, mostly focused in certain areas which I feel aren't overly frequently encountered by the majority of tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Jev/N wrote: »
    Definitely agree on the areas outside the city...

Fitzwilliam Square, Iveagh Gardens, Grand Canal Dock, Kildare Street, St Patricks Cathedral for some, granted they are all on the southside - you don't have to directly encounter the quays for many of these as you can get bus/taxi/walk without having to take the quays route and many would be quicker avoiding them as well

Anyways, I'm not gonna bother continuing to arguing this. IMO Dublin has its problems, mostly focused in certain areas which I feel aren't overly frequently encountered by the majority of tourists.
    Don't forget down around Christchurch there are a lot of junkies as well and there are a few spots around there that would be (or should be) popular with tourists. The problem isn't confined entirely to the quays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Oh don't get me wrong i'm fully aware of the cities drug problems i just find it funny when some people think that's the be all and end all of the city when it's not. A lot of people give out about Dublin when i actual fact they've a very limited knowledge or experience of the city.

But for people who don't live there, that may be what really stays with them about their visit. If I had only been in Dublin the first week that I stayed there, (in a place off Ushers' Quay), I would have a very different view of the city. My brother stayed with me that week, and he doesn't really have any burning desire to come back to Dublin, and is kind of surprised that I like it so much. To him it's a small expensive city with a lot of sketchy people around the center; he enjoyed other parts of Ireland a lot more. And we both grew up as city kids, so it's not like he's never seen drug dealers or crazy bar fights before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Some people here are in complete denial about the fact that Dublin city has serious problems which are obvious to everyone else, including people who live and work there. That's quite peculiar.
    But for people who don't live there, that may be what really stays with them about their visit. If I had only been in Dublin the first week that I stayed there, (in a place off Ushers' Quay), I would have a very different view of the city. My brother stayed with me that week, and he doesn't really have any burning desire to come back to Dublin, and is kind of surprised that I like it so much. To him it's a small expensive city with a lot of sketchy people around the center; he enjoyed other parts of Ireland a lot more. And we both grew up as city kids, so it's not like he's never seen drug dealers or crazy bar fights before.

I think it's because not everyone from Dublin works, lives or frequently visits highly affected areas such as much of the inner-city northside. (I'm not turning this into north v south, it's just the reality of the situation in the city centre)

That may be why I made by points above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Some people here are in complete denial about the fact that Dublin city has serious problems which are obvious to everyone else, including people who live and work there. That's quite peculiar.

Seriously, I think some people are using this thread as an excuse to say "look at me, I'm from Dublin" which as I've said before is quite pathetic.

If it gets up people's nose it's probably because they are trying to have a serious discussion on the problems facing our capital but have to deal with a few cretins trying to turn everything into a pissing contest.

The thread was started like many others in after hours focusing on negative aspects of Dublin of which most Dubs if not all on here admit to. We are well within our rights to defend the city by pointing out some of the positive aspects.

Also, do you honestly think there are people on this thread bragging about being from Dublin, it's not really an issue for many of us seems to be more of an issue or annoyance to the people starting threads about Dublin in here week in week out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Jev/N wrote: »
    I think it's because not everyone from Dublin works, lives or frequently visits highly affected areas such as much of the inner-city northside. (I'm not turning this into north v south, it's just the reality of the situation in the city centre)

That may be why I made by points above.

Well personally the worst areas that I saw regularly were around Connolly, Tara Street DART, and Eden Quay, and all are major transport hubs. If you look at similar threads in the Dublin or Transport forums, you will see similar complaints from commuters. A LOT of people see the worst of what Dublin has to offer everyday...which is why a lot of them choose not to live there and instead commute in. You will also see it when you leave the national theater, and lord knows regular commuters on the Luas Red Line are constantly complaining about junkies and scumbags. It's actually a pretty pervasive problem, and although there isn't much violent crime around drugs in Dublin (or at least violence that doesn't involve major dealers), it really affects the quality of life and perception of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lily10

I'm finding this more and more too. When friends come back from a trip to ireland (i'm living in US now) I ask them what did they think and they say something like "we loved ireland but Dublin was ok" I take this as them being too nice to say they loved the countryside but hated Dublin. I then take to insulting them by calling them typical dumb americans who expected to find green rolling hills everywhere when they stepped off the plane. Good natured fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

BluesBerry wrote: »

If the canadians don't like it then they can feck of :mad:

They will be going back to Canada, and will tell everyone that Dublin is a hole.
    People who are potential visitors/tourists will not visit as word of mouth carries a lot of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Collected 3 friends of mine from Canada @ the airport last week.
    They were keen to see Dublin so we stopped for a quick look around O'Connell Street, and a few drinks & some bites just off Grafton Street, and the obligatory stroll about Temple Bar etc.

Some days afterwards I asked them what was their impressions of our fair city. They seemed hesitant to reply, so I pushed them for an answer.

Eventually they confessed what a dump they thought Dublin was. And how full of scummers the place is.

I was shocked and more than a bit annoyed.

The weird thing is I hadn't seen it myself.

Time to leave methinks!:(

Seriously?

So you posted it in AHs instead of here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement