Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Dublin become such a ****hole?

Options
  • 24-09-2010 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Collected 3 friends of mine from Canada @ the airport last week.
    They were keen to see Dublin so we stopped for a quick look around O'Connell Street, and a few drinks & some bites just off Grafton Street, and the obligatory stroll about Temple Bar etc.

Some days afterwards I asked them what was their impressions of our fair city. They seemed hesitant to reply, so I pushed them for an answer.

Eventually they confessed what a dump they thought Dublin was. And how full of scummers the place is.

I was shocked and more than a bit annoyed.

The weird thing is I hadn't seen it myself.

Time to leave methinks!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If it makes you feel any better, it used to be a lot worse 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

Hasn't it always been a sh!thole? You should bring them out to places like Dalkey, Killiney, Howth etc. Compared to main Canadian cities, Dublin's a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

k thx bai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

All cities are like that though. You get an impression of them from the net and the news etc... and when you see them up close its different. I'm living in Montreal and its supposed to be one of the nicest cities in Canada.. its a kip! Its like a huge industrial parking lot with highways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tell them to stop visiting the Dail then for gods sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Dublin forum
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Being Canadian their opinion doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Don't leave James' Gate hit you on the ass on the way out......:D

Don't leave James' Gate hit you on the ass on the way out......:D

Is that how you get out of Dublin?

Jeepers. No wonder there's always traffic jams in the big smoke.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

O'Connell Street --> Grafton Street --> Temple Bar does not = all of Dublin.

And Dublin is not a ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I happen to think out capital is nice thank you very much

If the canadians don't like it then they can feck of :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

In fairness, Dublin is looking much better now that it was 15 years ago. It is still very, very dirty - but less dirty than it was then.

Dubliners are, by developed industrial economy standards, very very friendly. And helpful.

But the alcohol problem is huge - absolutely huge here. I don't think we, either at City Council level or state level, appreciate the ugliness of the alcohol problem here. St Patrick's Day in, I think, 2006, stands out as extraordinarily ugly in my lifelong experience of Dublin city.

We have to get to grips with that. We just have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

SadieSue wrote: »
    All cities are like that though. You get an impression of them from the net and the news etc... and when you see them up close its different. I'm living in Montreal and its supposed to be one of the nicest cities in Canada.. its a kip! Its like a huge industrial parking lot with highways.

Yeah but the parts of Montreal that tourists go to are lovely. The parts of Dublin that tourists go to are lovely in parts, but also surprisingly full of junkies, scumbags, and feral children.

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I happen to think out capital is nice thank you very much

If the canadians don't like it then they can feck of :mad:

It's not like Canada has much going for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is that how you get out of Dublin?

Jeepers. No wonder there's always traffic jams in the big smoke.

Yup, didn't you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Yeah but the parts of Montreal that tourists go to are lovely. The parts of Dublin that tourists go to are lovely in parts, but also surprisingly full of junkies, scumbags, and feral children.

That's true. There are a couple nice spots.
    What we lack in feral children we make up for in homeless people.

The problems with scum on the street is that the Gardaí have no motivation for arresting them. And they exist in every city.

Every day in the city I see a junkie or a drunk completely out of it, puking in the street and just casuing general nuisance. It is in my opinon that anyone who is so far gone like that, should be locked up in a room for their own safety. Not until they are completely sober/off the drugs no matter how long it takes.

Homeless people should be forced into hostels, so no sleeping on the street is necessary. The government needs to build more homeless shelters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

IvySlayer wrote: »

indeedy

I got jumped on by a junkie on Karl Johans gate in Oslo (you know, the place we are striving to emulate) yet it didn't change my perception of Norway. Maybe that was because their scumbags are a bunch of pussies but still!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Montreal's a shiithole...full of canadians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

They were keen to see Dublin so we stopped for a quick look around O'Connell Street, and a few drinks & some bites just off Grafton Street, and the obligatory stroll about English stag party central.

Some days afterwards I asked them what was their impressions of our fair city. They seemed hesitant to reply, so I pushed them for an answer.

Eventually they confessed what a dump they thought Dublin was. And how full of scummers the place is.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dear old dirty Dublin. "De sal' o' de earth, wha?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

IvySlayer wrote: »

Yes, but those are the areas that tourists are the most likely to see.

I've never seen people selling heroin or shooting up at 9:30am on the Spanish Steps or at the Eiffel Tower or in Plaza Mayor. Yet I saw this DAILY on the Quays in the heart of Dublin.

I love Dublin, but there's a level of social anarchy that you see in its city center in broad daylight that is generally missing from other European capital cities (or hell American cities for that matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've never seen people selling heroin or shooting up at 9:30am on the Spanish Steps or at the Eiffel Tower or in Plaza Mayor. Yet I saw this DAILY on the Quays in the heart of Dublin.

I love Dublin, but there's a level of social anarchy that you see in its city center in broad daylight that is generally missing from other European capital cities (or hell American cities for that matter).

In our stew-pot of culture, the scum rises to the top.:pac:

Policing is much tougher over there. As stated above, the Gardaí just won't bother arresting scum due to the hassle involved. Courts just give them a slap on the wrist and off they go.

Personally anyone who is drugged up that much on the streets should be locked up for at least a year to help them get off they drug in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Dublins pretty slimy and stinky alright but there's plenty capital cities worse.

Was in Athens a few years back to check out the ancient ruins and wondrous monuments that were all built before the baby Jesus was even born. Was walking through Athens in wide eyed wonder, absolutely agog at the ancient buildings and crumbling ruins until the tour guide told Pighead that this was actually the city centre and nothing to do with ancient Greece. Absolute kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They were keen to see Dublin so we stopped for a quick look around O'Connell Street, and a few drinks & some bites just off Grafton Street, and the obligatory stroll about Temple Bar etc.

Yes. The impression three tourists have of Dublin means it's "time to leave".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Dublin would be a great city if we could get rid off all the scumbags :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,993 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Dublin became a sh1thole when the Vikings left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The only people who don't know how shíte dublin is, are the ones who were born and live there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement