Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Dublin become such a ****hole?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

All major cities have drug problems, Dublins is just that but more visible. If you were to point the finger, it would have to be pointed at the current government. The Guards and the courts should be swung into action to clear up the streets of the city centre. Its pretty simple and it has been done in other major cities. All the Guards have to do is target a area, like O'Connell St and just keep arresting, and re-arresting scumbags until they get the message to not go there.

Other than that I love Dublin and think its a great city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Have you ever been on Temple Bar square? I was walking through there the other night and some lad was being loaded into a stretcher, there was blood all over the place and Gardai were asking bystanders (mostly tourists) if they had seen what happened. There are constantly alcoholics hanging around harassing people and fighting with each other.

Yup - I pass Temple Bar Square at least twice every day. I also live in the city center. Its very rare to see trouble, fights, or ambulances. I cant remember the last time I saw a fight in Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dublin is one of the better cities around. I dont understand why it gets such a bad press from irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

orourkeda wrote: »
    Dublin is one of the better cities around. I dont understand why it gets such a bad press from irish people
    what in particular make's Dublin better than other cities around?

what in particular make's Dublin better than other cities around?

I like it more than most other cities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

Those junkies that you guys see, they are usually foreigners, no? Considering that the government is now realizing the problems of such an open immigration policy, maybe things will change a little to better in the next years.

Just a thought.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/BookletA4.pdf/Files/BookletA4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think it's safe to say that they're not from Vancouver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

lol at all the dubs jumping to arms.. dublin is a ****hole.. but so are pretty much all towns/cities in ireland tbh imo.. all under developed and falling down.. transport systems are ****.. local rural health services are not there.. no jobs.. loads on the dole.. loads just drinking all day every day.. everything's overpriced..

also people feel the need to start fights randomly when out on the town for no apparent reason.. ireland is the only place i have come across this.. e.g out in a club a guy walks up to my friend and says 'your lucky you havent been knocked out yet' 'why?' 'we dont like your hair'.. true story.. and many other stories like that of people just starting on other people for no reason.. i lived in manchester and never came across this.. i lived in london and was never that bad.. lived in germany and the idea wouldnt even be thought of over there.. not being able to go out and keep to yourself and be yourself without some dick commenting or worse trying to start on you is a big down point for me.. and if it is not scumbags like that it's the other end and worse.. celtic tiger knobs who think they are some kind of celebrity and higher god cause mummy and daddy did well in the boom loike roish

people are way more ignorant over here.. and i'm full irish.. love the country itself and history but not the people or the way it is now.. i for one cant wait to get out of here.. it takes being away for a while to be able to look back on it for what it is these days

awaits the usual "so f**k off so".. very clever

rob88 wrote: »
    lol at all the dubs jumping to arms.. dublin is a ****hole.. but so are pretty much all towns/cities in ireland tbh imo.. all under developed and falling down.. transport systems are ****.. local rural health services are not there.. no jobs.. loads on the dole.. loads just drinking all day every day.. everything's overpriced..

also people feel the need to start fights randomly when out on the town for no apparent reason.. ireland is the only place i have come across this.. e.g out in a club a guy walks up to my friend and says 'your lucky you havent been knocked out yet' 'why?' 'we dont like your hair'.. true story.. and many other stories like that of people just starting on other people for no reason.. i lived in manchester and never came across this.. i lived in london and was never that bad.. lived in germany and the idea wouldnt even be thought of over there.. not being able to go out and keep to yourself and be yourself without some dick commenting or worse trying to start on you is a big down point for me.. and if it is not scumbags like that it's the other end and worse.. celtic tiger knobs who think they are some kind of celebrity and higher god cause mummy and daddy did well in the boom loike roish

people are way more ignorant over here.. and i'm full irish.. love the country itself and history but not the people or the way it is now.. i for one cant wait to get out of here.. it takes being away for a while to be able to look back on it for what it is these days

awaits the usual "so f**k off so".. very clever

There are parts of Manchester I wouldnt let my dog out in. Collyhurst and Moss side off the top of my head. Still an ok city though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Those junkies that you guys see, they are usually foreigners, no? Considering that the government is now realizing the problems of such an open immigration policy, maybe things will change a little to better in the next years.

Just a thought.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/BookletA4.pdf/Files/BookletA4.pdf

Are you ****ing kidding?
    :eek:
    :(
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

dublin's ok 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thats not entirely true. I've been mugged twice on the southside
    Dublin is one of the better cities around.
    LOL.

Only from a dubliner....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I happen to think out capital is nice thank you very much

If the canadians don't like it then they can feck of :mad:
    This post made me laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

rob88 wrote: »
    if it is not scumbags like that it's the other end and worse.. celtic tiger knobs who think they are some kind of celebrity and higher god cause mummy and daddy did well in the boom loike roish

people are way more ignorant over here.. and i'm full irish.. love the country itself and history but not the people or the way it is now..

Exactly.

LOL.

Only from a dubliner....

Its very easy to make someone look like a d*ck when you copy and paste random sentences and put them together isnt it.

The muggings havent diminished my like for the place btw. Just a part of city living

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Anybody who thinks Dublin is a kip now should watch The Commitments, that was the era when Dublin was a real kip, fcuking wild! These days it ain't so bad but the junkie problem is pretty drastic though.

Its very easy to make someone look like a d*ck when you copy and paste random sentences and put them together isnt it.

The muggings havent diminished my like for the place btw. Just a part of city living

Nobody has to make you look like an idiot, you're doing that just fine by yourself.

No, it's not. If you honestly think that being mugged goes hand in hand with living in a city, then you're as stupid as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Yes, but those are the areas that tourists are the most likely to see.

I've never seen people selling heroin or shooting up at 9:30am on the Spanish Steps or at the Eiffel Tower or in Plaza Mayor. Yet I saw this DAILY on the Quays in the heart of Dublin.

I love Dublin, but there's a level of social anarchy that you see in its city center in broad daylight that is generally missing from other European capital cities (or hell American cities for that matter).

Eh yeah, great comparison there.

Either way, Dublin is an extremely small city by international standards, so the probability of passing by a junkie is higher. For example, I was in the "tourist district" of Lima for a few days and went to the city centre for a day - go to see all the gansters riding around in low-rider cars etc, totally different place, mainly due to the size of the city.

Jev/N wrote: »
    Eh yeah, great comparison there.

Um, where do you think tourists in Dublin go?

Nobody has to make you look like an idiot, you're doing that just fine by yourself.

No, it's not. If you honestly think that being mugged goes hand in hand with living in a city, then you're as stupid as it seems.

Thanks. Very kind of you.

(p.s what I meant was muggings are a daily occurence in most towns and cities across the world as are all other forms of petty crime. It's not nice it's just a simple fact of life. Dublin has it's share of these problems like any other city of it's size.)

• Advertisement

In fairness Challengemaster, it is part of city living. You will get mugged in any city if you are not careful. Mugging isn't purely a Dublin thing.

People get mugged in every city in the world.

People get mugged in every city in the world.

Indeed they do. Every major town and village in Ireland and in the rest of the world for that matter suffers from crime. Its a very simple fact of life

Then, tell me, have you ever been mugged in Galway? That's assuming you can comprehend that there are other cities in Ireland that aren't Dublin.

Then, tell me, have you ever been mugged in Galway? That's assuming you can comprehend that there are other cities in Ireland that aren't Dublin.

You have a broad definition of 'cities'...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Um, where do you think tourists in Dublin go?

I can assure you they don't go to see the quays. You just listed them off making a comparison to other cities' landmarks, which IMO is a bit wide of the mark.

There are the quays' equivalents in many other cities around the world, with a high population of beggars, junkies etc., they're just not usually at or around the landmark of the respective countries, which you used in your comparison.

You see this daily because a) you live here and b) you know where to look.

If you lived in Barcelona, Turin or wherever, you would know where these people were and quite possibly see them everyday. The tourists might or they might not.

And I realise you refer to the quays as places where tourists might or would see. I agree they might pass by, but there are junkies only on certain parts of the quays and if the tourists had sense, they wouldn't be bothering going there in the same way that I make a sensible decision to avoid certain parts of foreign cities I visit.

Er i'm sure there's been plenty of muggings in Galway? The poster doesnt live there so its a pretty silly question.

I've been to Galway and found a night out there was pretty rougher than a night out in Dublin still think its a great place though.

Firstly, I can comprehend the fact that there are more than one city in Ireland thanks very much.

I've never been mugged in Galway for a very simple reason. I havent spent a huge amount of time in that particular city and havent been there for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hicksn

these junkies are causing havok in the city centre,complete knackers,seen 1 rob a old womens bag at tara train station,big fat ugly f****r,have seen him since hes always hangin roun d there with with knacker birds and blokes..should be locked up and throw away the keys...dublin is cool tho...

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm not sure if you're talking to me.

I have only lived in Galway for a short while. That being said, when my friend was there. He was just having a smoke he got assaulted because he didn't give someone a cigarette.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement