Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Dublin become such a ****hole?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Jev/N wrote: »
    I can assure you they don't go to see the quays. You just listed them off making a comparison to other cities' landmarks, which IMO is a bit wide of the mark.

There are the quays' equivalents in many other cities around the world, with a high population of beggars, junkies etc., they're just not usually at or around the landmark of the respective countries, which you used in your comparison.

You see this daily because a) you live here and b) you know where to look.

If you lived in Barcelona, Turin or wherever, you would know where these people were and quite possibly see them everyday. The tourists might or they might not.

When I first arrived in Dublin, I was armed with a guidebook that recommended several pubs along the keys. The airport shuttle bus dropped me off on the keys. I had to go to the Tara street station to get out to Howth, also a major tourist destination. To take the train to Galway, if you are on the south side of the river and you don't want to pay for a taxi, you walk along the Liffey to Houston. I got lost in D8 going to Kilmainham.:eek:

I didn't know where junkies and dealers were "supposed" to be, I just knew that I saw a hell of a lot of them wherever I went. To think that tourists somehow magically miss the nonsense that goes on along the Liffey is absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hicksn

hicksn wrote: »
    these junkies are causing havok in the city centre,complete knackers,seen 1 rob a old womens bag at tara train station,big fat ugly f****r,have seen him since hes always hangin roun d there with with knacker birds and blokes..should be locked up and throw away the keys...dublin is cool tho...

probably get stuck with aids if tried to do something..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Then, tell me, have you ever been mugged in Galway? That's assuming you can comprehend that there are other cities in Ireland that aren't Dublin.

Wouldn't really call Galway a city. Sure the suburb of Dublin, Tallaght has 20,000 more people living in it alone than Galway city does. Galway is a very nice town, but when I was there only a few weeks ago I saw some very dodgy looking junkies sitting around Eyre square when the nightclubs were kicking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

When I first arrived in Dublin, I was armed with a guidebook that recommended several pubs along the keys. The airport shuttle bus dropped me off on the keys. I had to go to the Tara street station to get out to Howth, also a major tourist destination. To take the train to Galway, if you are on the south side of the river and you don't want to pay for a taxi, you walk along the Liffey to Houston. I got lost in D8 going to Kilmainham.:eek:

I didn't know where junkies and dealers were "supposed" to be, I just knew that I saw a hell of a lot of them wherever I went. To think that tourists somehow magically miss the nonsense that goes on along the Liffey is absurd.

All you have to do is walk in a straight line. Almost impossible to get lost if you are on the south quays and are heading towards Heuston Station.

A lot i
    of that does go on down that way alright

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

RMD wrote: »
    Wouldn't really call Galway a city. Sure the suburb of Dublin, Tallaght has 20,000 more people living in it alone than Galway city does. Galway is a very nice town, but when I was there only a few weeks ago I saw some very dodgy looking junkies sitting around Eyre square when the nightclubs were kicking out.

Sure, by comparison to New york, Dublin isn't a city. Etc etc....

:rolleyes:

It's a city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭davepatr07

Lived in Vancouver for 6 months. Always remember walking past that east city junction near Chinatown. Make the ****ty parts of Dublin look like Disneyland! This is a place that has been voted one of the most livable cities on the planet.
    Dublin is still home and as someone mentioned on this forum it has been voted friendliest city in Europe 2 years in a row. I recommend you check out Tripadvisor forum for Dublin and see the generalized views of visitors feedback..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=dublin&sub-search=Search&geo=&where=nav&returnTo=__2F__#ssrc=r,o=0,c=global

Still a proud Dub

orourkeda wrote: »
    All you have to do is walk in a straight line. Almost impossible to get lost if you are on the south quays and are heading towards Heuston Station.

It isn't impossible if you have a ****ty guidebook...:mad:

And Dublin is very easy for tourists to get lost in because the street names change every three blocks and most of the city isn't on a grid. After a year there I still didn't know the names of half of the streets; I just navigated by pubs and landmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

RMD wrote: »
    Wouldn't really call Galway a city. Sure the suburb of Dublin, Tallaght has 20,000 more people living in it alone than Galway city does.

But sure i wouldn't really call dublin a proper city. Ive lived in sydney & london & both make dublin look like a little town.

There are boroughs in london which have a third of dublins entire population.

Don't go down the comparison road, you'll always lose.;) And of course there are bigger cities than london.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

I've been to Galway and found a night out there was pretty rougher than a night out in Dublin still think its a great place though.

lol riiiiiight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I can't think of any pubs along the quays that would be reccomended in a tourist guide bar Messrs Maguires.

• Advertisement

davepatr07 wrote: »
    Lived in Vancouver for 6 months. Always remember walking past that east city junction near Chinatown. Make the ****ty parts of Dublin look like Disneyland! This is a place that has been voted one of the most livable cities on the planet.
    Dublin is still home and as someone mentioned on this forum it has been voted friendliest city in Europe 2 years in a row. I recommend you check out Tripadvisor forum for Dublin and see the generalized views of visitors feedback..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=dublin&sub-search=Search&geo=&where=nav&returnTo=__2F__#ssrc=r,o=0,c=global

Still a proud Dub

OK, I love Dublin, and I would come back if I could get a visa :( but I had to laugh at the Trip Advisor comment about the great food...

And as I said before just because people are friendly (and they are) doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of sketchy stuff going down in the city center on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

To think that tourists somehow magically miss the nonsense that goes on along the Liffey is absurd.

Point out where I said that they would miss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Sure, by comparison to New york, Dublin isn't a city. Etc etc....

:rolleyes:

It's a city.

No, 1.5 mil in a metropolitan area is pretty normal for most major cities worldwide. In a city size comparison, if based in USA, Dublin would be the 10th most populated city. Comparing an average city to a super city is just ridiculous. Galway is a large town by international standards, sorry.

I can't think of any pubs along the quays that would be reccomended in a tourist guide bar Messrs Maguires.

Apparently one of the oldest pubs in Dublin is off of Usher's Quay on Lower Bridge Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The fact it's actually a city goes against you though :p

rob88 wrote: »
    lol riiiiiight

Honest to god, i've never been to Galway city for a weekend without seeing a fight in one of the clubs, i go out in Dublin city centre regularly and very rarely see trouble granted i don't go out to Temple Bar though.

I really think our problem is that we are too friendly..

Even our Junkies....

They too like to engage with people, have the craic; surely this is what they were expecting after reading their Rough Guide of our fair city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Apparently one of the oldest pubs in Dublin is off of Usher's Quay on Lower Bridge Street.

The Brazen Head.

True actually The Brazen Head it's called, far from several pubs on the Quays though. There aren't many pubs on the Quays really though.

Point out where I said that they would miss it?

You said:
    Originally Posted by Jev/N
    I can assure you they don't go to see the quays. You just listed them off making a comparison to other cities' landmarks, which IMO is a bit wide of the mark.

My point being if you as a tourist want to see most of Dublin's landmarks (or even just get from the airport to the city center), you are going to pass through the quays. Nobody says "ooo let's go to Dublin to see Eden Quay!" obviously, but certainly people would want to see the Customs building, or take the DART, or sit on the benches along the river if it is a nice day.

To go back to Plaza Mayor as an example, if the street connecting it with the Prado (another major tourist site) was filled with junkies and drug dealers, the response wouldn't be "yeah, but nobody comes to Madrid to see Calle Mayor".

Actually, come to think of it, one of the main streets connecting Sol (another major plaza and tourist destination) to Gran Via is full of prostitutes, yet it is totally safe, there are police everywhere, and nobody gets hassled. There is actually a great bar with outdoor seating along this street, where you can enjoy giant 1-euro mugs of beer and sandwiches without being hassled for change ever 5 minutes. Again, this speaks to the point I made earlier: it's all about policing. Vice, drugs, etc are pretty standard in most cities, but for some reason it seems to be something that the powers that be in Dublin are unwilling or unable to manage.

• Advertisement

What i find funny is when people who aren't from Dublin try to tell us how bad our city is and when we tell them it's not so bad at all it gets up their noses, quite peculiar if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Look, if you read my post(s), you'll see I'm not denying they might and probably would pass by the quays and see some junkies.

In addition, I mentioned the size of the city doesn't help as the problem areas are more noticable in a city the size that Dublin is; it still doesn't make the whole place a sh*thole, just certain areas.

My point was based in the fact that there are numerous landmarks and beautiful sites to visit around the central city, without the need to directly encounter the quays all that much.

What i find funny is when people who aren't from Dublin try to tell us how bad our city is and when we tell them it's not so bad at all it gets up their noses, quite peculiar if you ask me.

I'm not saying it's bad; I like Dublin. But I find elements of the city center to be disturbing, and I think it's weird that so many people from Dublin don't get that there is something weird about having open-air heroin markets along major commuter routes and tourist destinations. It would be like me getting huffy if visitors commented on how segregated Chicago is, or how pervasive street gangs are; even though it didn't seem weird to me growing up there, I can see how it would be totally bizarre and kind of disturbing to outsiders.

Look, if you read my post(s), you'll see I'm not denying they might and probably would pass by the quays and see some junkies.

In addition, I mentioned the size of the city doesn't help as the problem areas are more noticable in a city the size that Dublin is; it still doesn't make the whole place a sh*thole, just certain areas.

My point was based in the fact that there are numerous landmarks and beautiful sites to visit around the central city, without the need to directly encounter the quays all that much.

How? Unless you stick to St Stephen's Green/Grafton street/D4, it's pretty unavoidable. And I think a lot of the destinations outside of those areas are actually more interesting.

And if you read my posts, I never said the whole city was a ****hole or a 'kip'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Tourists land in the city centre, bang in in middle of all the action. Its obvious whats causing not only them but Dubliners the unpleasantness.

The drug clinics that reside on Pearse st(which feeds Tara st), Amiens st and the rest should be moved to the suburbs where the addicts live. Too many clinics are in the city centre, I believe this is not the case in other international cities as they use mobile clinics in the suburbs so that addicts do not have to travel to the city centre for their methadone.

Media reports in the 90's said that there were 20,000 heroin addicts in Dublin. Official stats say there are between 13,000 and 20,000 so you can see having all these travelling from the burbs to the city centre every single day for treatment gives a serious wrong impression on the rest of the 1.1m citizens are like.

And yeh to the pedantics, some addicts do live in the city centre but their numbers are not sufficient to support the amount of drug clinics in the city centre.

And yes, we have a serious problem with begging(most(not all) of who are con artists). Blame the begging law been struck down on this in 2007, its due to be made law very soon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

Are you ****ing kidding?
    :eek:
    :(
    :mad:

No, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Some people here are in complete denial about the fact that Dublin city has serious problems which are obvious to everyone else, including people who live and work there. That's quite peculiar.

Seriously, I think some people are using this thread as an excuse to say "look at me, I'm from Dublin" which as I've said before is quite pathetic.

If it gets up people's nose it's probably because they are trying to have a serious discussion on the problems facing our capital but have to deal with a few cretins trying to turn everything into a pissing contest.

No, why?

The vast majority of junkies and dealers in the city center are Irish.

I'm not saying it's bad; I like Dublin. But I find elements of the city center to be disturbing, and I think it's weird that so many people from Dublin don't get that there is something weird about having open-air heroin markets along major commuter routes and tourist destinations. It would be like me getting huffy if visitors commented on how segregated Chicago is, or how pervasive street gangs are; even though it didn't seem weird to me growing up there, I can see how it would be totally bizarre and kind of disturbing to outsiders.

Oh don't get me wrong i'm fully aware of the cities drug problems i just find it funny when some people think that's the be all and end all of the city when it's not. A lot of people give out about Dublin when i actual fact they've a very limited knowledge or experience of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

Litter problem
    public transport problem
    junkie problem
    alcohol problem
    crime problem
    racism problem
    youth problem
    economic problem

GOVERNMENT PROBLEM!!!???

This discussion has been closed.