Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

George Clooney is to star in the UK television series Downton Abbey, it has been reported. The actor will play an American character who is a guest at a wedding in the country estate.

The show, which will be broadcast at Christmas, was written to raise money for a charity fundraiser, called Text Santa for ITV. An ITV spokesperson said Clooney would appear in a sketch, but would not act in a full Christmas episode.

The Hollywood star has already filmed the scenes but a spokesperson for the period drama refused to give away any further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Does anyone know if TV3 will be showing it this autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Radio5 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if TV3 will be showing it this autumn?

Yes from Wed, 24/9/14 @ 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

quickbeam wrote: »
    I haven't seen a trailer, but I've heard reviews and their good and the premise of the film sounds interesting. I'd like to see it.
    gazzer wrote: »
    The movie is getting rave reviews. It is meant to be brilliant. Dan Stevens looks amazing with the weight loss.

In fairness, I may have to eat humble pie on this one. Reviews on rotten tomatoes look good. I think the trailer is just so over the top that I was put off, I may check it out.
    Yes from Wed, 24/9/14 @ 9pm.

Can I ask where you are getting this info? It's not that I doubt you, I just haven't been able to find any confirmation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Starts this Sunday on TV3

Don't think so - its not on their schedule for Sunday,

Afaik UTV is the only channel to view downtown this Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Mink wrote: »
    Can I ask where you are getting this info? It's not that I doubt you, I just haven't been able to find any confirmation of this.

The DigiGuide app (screenshot attached) is showing it but its not on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 85,578 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Infoanon wrote: »
    Don't think so - its not on their schedule for Sunday,

Afaik UTV is the only channel to view downtown this Sunday.

I don't know when it is back on TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Mink wrote: »
    Can I ask where you are getting this info?

http://www.tv3.ie/pr_sub.php?type=1&view_pr=628

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Did TV3 have it available to view online for previous seasons? Will be away later on in the year and would love to be able to watch it from abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

40 minutes into series 5 and I'm finding Downton incredibly dull :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

This is the first time I've watched it live. Turned off after 30 minutes as the adverts really annoy me.
    I'll watch it tomorrow when I can fast forward it.
    I never watch live TV!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MrsD007 wrote: »

I had to pause it for about 5 minutes after Mary just randomly announced she was going upstairs to take off her hat. I couldn't stop laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I didnt realise the time so I missed it. will catch up on wed. must remember to set it to record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Good not just me so. I'm very very bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

"Principles are like prayers. Noble of course, but awkward at a party".

She's back.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

love Maggie Smith

Maggie Smith is one of the few reasons to watch Downton these days.

Feck it, I hate that Barrow
    is going to a hero for saving Lady Edith.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I thought it was a very good episode, nice bit of comedy in it and then the big drama at the end! Maggie Smith at her best as usual :-) can't wait for next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Maggie Smith is one of the few reasons to watch Downton these days.

During the episode she seemed to be somewhat out of breath in places. I hope her health is okay.

• Advertisement

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    This is the first time I've watched it live. Turned off after 30 minutes as the adverts really annoy me.
    I'll watch it tomorrow when I can fast forward it.
    I never watch live TV!!!

Totally agree!

I had to pause it for about 5 minutes after Mary just randomly announced she was going upstairs to take off her hat. I couldn't stop laughing!

Perfectly normal behaviour. One shouldn't countenance taking one's hat off downstairs!

Also, "They've cast the net wide this evening...." Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm a huge fan of the programme hut alas feel it's running out of steam a little. I love the Lady Edith storyline and how it will develop, I adore Maggie Smith's character and many others but I felt last nights programme was just a little lacklustre, as was the Christmas special before it. I think it's probably nearing it's natural end.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,990 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Incredibly boring. The main girl, not sure of her name, her husband was killed, she is so dull. Like a robot!

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of the programme hut alas feel it's running out of steam a little. I love the Lady Edith storyline and how it will develop, I adore Maggie Smith's character and many others but I felt last nights programme was just a little lacklustre, as was the Christmas special before it. I think it's probably nearing it's natural end.

I think there's far too much going on. They're trying to give everyone a story line and the result is way too many short scenes and huge developments happening in maybe 2 conversations.

I had the same problem with the second series of The Village that aired on BBC recently. Way too much going on and no real focal point like they had in the first series where WW1 was controlling all the stories. Downton series 1 was predominantly about Mary and Matthew and even S2 had the war to centre all the stories on but after that it just got silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

walshb wrote: »
    Incredibly boring. The main girl, not sure of her name, her husband was killed, she is so dull. Like a robot!

But how she plays it so dead pan is what I find hilarious!

“Haven’t you heard? I don’t have a heart. Everyone knows that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Hope Isis ( the dog that never ages) made it out ok!!
    Can't stand the teacher woman, I'd give her a.good slap at my dinner table.

youngblood wrote: »
    But how she plays it so dead pan is what I find hilarious!

“Haven’t you heard? I don’t have a heart. Everyone knows that.”

I love how horrible she is to Edith, even when they were standing over Sybil's dead body and Edith wondered if they should try to get along better now they were all they had left and Mary was like...yeah, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I really liked that ep I thought it felt a bit rushed in places though. like a poster above said, they were trying to give everyone a storyline and therefore it was all a bit rushed.
    But really looking forward to next

Advertisement