Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

syklops wrote: »
    Id be surprised if he gets only a mention. What year are we upto? Mid-twenties? Perhaps a mention of Hitler too?

Is it Christmas Day the special is on does anyone know?

I hope lady Edith finds some happiness, she always seems to get a rough time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is it Christmas Day the special is on does anyone know?

Yes Christmas Day. 9pm.
    I hope lady Edith finds some happiness, she always seems to get a rough time.

Lady Mary's husband was killed in a car crash
    Lady Sybil dies.

Yeah Edith has it rough. ;)

syklops wrote: »
    Yes Christmas Day. 9pm.

Lady Mary's husband was killed in a car crash
    Lady Sybil dies.

Yeah Edith has it rough. ;)

Heh heh, good points, well made :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Heh heh, good points, well made :D

I know what you mean though, she is always close but no cigar.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

My favourite "Poor Edith" moment was right after Sybil died and Edith was talking to Mary saying that maybe they should try to be closer now they only had each other and Mary was all Eh..... NO!

Also when Mary said Edith was about as mysterious as a bucket :)

I think that's what she's there for, to be the sad sack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think that's what she's there for, to be the sad sack.

Yes, she cuts quite a pathetic figure. I still haven't forgiven her for dobbing Lady Mary in for fornicating with the Turk in Season One! :eek: As a character she has really evolved though so I will be interested to see how she deals with the pregnancy.

FYI everyone, the episode actually airs at 8.30pm!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/downton-abbey/10502738/Downton-Abbey-Christmas-special-teaser-released.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

It was good. the last 45 mins were much better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I enjoyed it but I wish they'd keep the storylines simple. "Downton saves the monarchy" was just cringey and hard to care about.They actually had quite a bit of interesting human drama that could've been drawn on if they'd had a decent script writer.

What a load of baubles!!

Mary and her men, the Americans, Branson showing yer one upstairs, the Scooby Doo style plot to steal back the letter, he would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky Crawley's!

I don't like Edith, in fact I'd say she probably ranks bottom of the pile of all the characters ever to appear on Downton, but.... I would rather have seen more of her baby plot than the few minutes we got during the series and then the jump ahead 8 months and she has about two scenes again. Suppose it'll carry on over to the next series now though.

I did enjoy Daisy being wooed by yer man though. She was very funny tonight. Makes a change from her moping after the fellahs like she's done every other series.

Oh, and one of Mary's men being a secret millionaire was rubbish. It made her sound so cold and horrible. I'd have much preferred to see her struggle with having feelings for two completely different men and have to weigh up her feelings versus her duty to protect baby George's inheritance. As it is now she's basically got two nice rich men after her and she can toy with them as much as she likes and they're perfectly happy to allow her to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

It was good. the last 45 mins were much better

That's coz Mr Bates was only in the last 45.

It was ok, but a bit cringe in parts. Loved harrold and the Edith story. Would have been nice to finally find out what Thomas has over Baxter though.
    I officially hate Mary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

I missed it but was looking forward to catching up...Is it even worth the effort? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Orielle wrote: »
    I missed it but was looking forward to catching up...Is it even worth the effort? :confused:

Yeah, theres a few bits in there regarding ongoing plotlines that would leave you stumped for the next season. Other than that, its a bit of a laugh - James Fox steals it as a complete chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

Paul Giamatti was excellent. It would be great if he and his Ma stopped off in Yorkshire on at the end of their European tour in the next series.

What might be really interesting for the next series would be to fast forward about 20 years. The era of the aristocracy coming to an end. George joining up and going off to war after many rows with his mother and step-father on the subject. Sibby working in a munitions factory in London and becoming friendly with her other cousin who'd be working as a nurse. Anna in the Mrs Hughes role and Barrow as Carson's replacement.

No chance of anything so radical though.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Paul Giamatti was excellent. It would be great if he and his Ma stopped off in Yorkshire on at the end of their European tour in the next series.

What might be really interesting for the next series would be to fast forward about 20 years. The era of the aristocracy coming to an end. George joining up and going off to war after many rows with his mother and step-father on the subject. Sibby working in a munitions factory in London and becoming friendly with her other cousin who'd be working as a nurse. Anna in the Mrs Hughes role and Barrow as Carson's replacement.

No chance of anything so radical though.

It sounds interesting, I'd like it to end that way, but they'd have to recast pretty much everyone, or..... have it running for 20 years until everyone is the right age!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

S3PaxC6.png

Anyone know the meaning of Lord Grantham's medals?

^ I think I asked someone involved in the show about that once, specifically the Irish flag one, and they weren't really able to give me an answer. I think it was Julian Fellowes daughter, maybe? She wrote the book about the show that was out and was supposedly an expert on the period.

I have done some Googling myself, and the Irish looking one is actually a pair with the one to it's left...

A Boer War pair. (http://www.london-medals.co.uk/british-medals-and-decorations/campaign-medal-groups/a-boer-war-pair-to-private-g-strickland-2nd-battalion-lincolnshire-regiment-who-was-present-on-operations-in-the-cape-colony-and-the-transvaal-and-at-the-battle-of-paardeberg.html)
    Queen's South Africa Medal 1899-1902
    King's South Africa Medal 1901-1902

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I can't wait for Mary to find out about Edith's baby. Because I think she will be an unlikely source of support for her - she has a real grasp of what's important in the world after having George and losing Matthew (although I think she had that before when Matthew was off at war).

And the fact that Edith would not think of getting support or friendship from Mary will make it more interesting viewing and give Edith a boost of support (which I really hope her family give her when they find out).

I can't believe I'm saying this ...... But....

I was disappointed with the Xmas Special :(

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Cris Jones

DeepBlue wrote: »
    S3PaxC6.png

Anyone know the meaning of Lord Grantham's medals?
    the meaning isn't support of the Easter Rising or the Irish Tricolour, that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I feel woefully let down by Downton this year, the only thing that has been consistent is how poor and meandering it has been, lots of silly storylines with no satisfactory endings. I'm in two minds about whether or not I will bother with it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I feel woefully let down by Downton this year, the only thing that has been consistent is how poor and meandering it has been, lots of silly storylines with no satisfactory endings. I'm in two minds about whether or not I will bother with it next year.

Very boring episode. Didn't watch it on the Christmas Day, definitely would have fallen asleep watching it. It needed a big juicy story, that one about the Dukes letter was sooooooo bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JohnK wrote: »

Yes, I read that yesterday. Maybe it's a good time to do so. I absolutely love the show but was a little let down by the Christmas special. The Edith/baby storyline intrigues me and this was merely touched upon - perhaps this was just an amuse bouche and it will dominate the next series however. I didn't find the Prince of Wales storyline particularly interesting or in keeping with the show really but I can forgive a blip on what is an otherwise wonderful programme!

I don't know why they refuse to have the Christmas specials be set at Christmas! The first one (After series 2) worked so well, and that was even with series 2 being very hit and miss with all the war stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Richard E. Grant, Anna Chancellor and Rade Sherbedgia in for Season 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Richard E. Grant, Anna Chancellor and Rade Sherbedgia in for Season 5

Love Richard E Grant, very sexy voice. Never heard of other two. Hope next season better than last season and Christmas special, which was anything but.

Lord Grantham on GrahamNorton this evening :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Love Richard E Grant, very sexy voice. Never heard of other two. Hope next season better than last season and Christmas special, which was anything but.

Anna Chancellor was Duckface from Four Weddings and a Funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Merkin wrote: »
    Lord Grantham on GrahamNorton this evening :)

He seems like an arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

The TV Channel "Yesterday" is showing the series "Secrets of the Manor House"

Tomorrow (Saturday) episode is about Highclere Castle.

It's on :-

YESTERDAY at 1:50 am Sat 15 Mar

and also YESTERDAY at 5:00 pm Sat 15 Mar
    Highclere Castle in Hampshire is perhaps best known as the backdrop to the smash hit costume drama Downton Abbey, but it has its own thrilling real-life tales to tell.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/titlesearch.asp?title=Secrets%20of%20the%20Manor%20House

Advertisement