Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah, I was clutching at straws. I'd be surprised if the story really does go in that direction.

It would be a great twist though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

would Bates have had enough time to get from York to London and back? I doubt it .

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

The thing is...Did he really go to York? We didn't see him there...did we ?

If he did go to London then York was only a cover to get the day off from Carson.

If he did go to London then York was only a cover to get the day off from Carson.

But remember public transport wasnt exactly wonderful back then. I dont think he would have had the time? would he?

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    But remember public transport wasnt exactly wonderful back then. I dont think he would have had the time? would he?

Not to go to York then London, but if he went to London he didn't actually go to York. He could easily have gotten the train to London and back in the day, they've done it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

According to the map of England I've just consulted, if Downton is in Yorkshire, and therefore near York, it's about a million miles from London. In fact, I don't know how they keep going up and down in a day, like they do in the series. York is further from London than Belfast is from Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

According to the map of England I've just consulted, if Downton is in Yorkshire, and therefore near York, it's about a million miles from London. In fact, I don't know how they keep going up and down in a day, like they do in the series. York is further from London than Belfast is from Wexford.
    But sure they had HS2 and hyperloop back then but that dastardly Mr Hitler made them turn it into Spitfires and all that, the rascal :P

They frequently mention Ripon on the show so I assume they're near it. It's 220 miles from Ripon to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Keep an eye out in 2015 (yeah, yeah, I know...) for the latest version of Cinderella from Disney.

Cinderella will be played by Downton's own Lady Rose, Lily James.

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2013/09/23/lily-james-first-look-at-cinderella/

And one of the Ugly Sisters in the movie - although I'm guessing we are encouraged these days to refer to them simply as the stepsisters - is played by Sophie McShera, who plays Daisy in Downton Abbey.

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2013/06/26/sophie-mcshera-joins-the-cast-of-cinderella/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Duck Soup wrote: »
    And one of the Ugly Sisters in the movie - although I'm guessing we are encouraged these days to refer to them simply as the stepsisters - is played by Sophie McShera, who plays Daisy in Downton Abbey.

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2013/06/26/sophie-mcshera-joins-the-cast-of-cinderella/

Poor Daisy never catches a break.

Guilted into marrying a dying man she didn't fancy, loving someone who loves someone else and now this...

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Would Bates have paid someone (an ex-con) to do it perhaps??

Grid. wrote: »

That's what I was thinking, he is the kind of guy people owe favours to. So I was thinking maybe he telephoned one of his ex prison buddies to take out the despicable Mr Greene. But I do like the Anna theory

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Orielle

Grid. wrote: »

If he did pay an ex prison mate, to do the deed. Wouldn't he have stayed at Downton all day
    so there would be plenty of witnesses, to see him... and to establish an alibi :

Plus how would he have been sure the prison mate would get the right guy? He can't link him to his Facebook or tell him he looks like Dennis off Eastenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Plus how would he have been sure the prison mate would get the right guy? He can't link him to his Facebook or tell him he looks like Dennis off Eastenders.

AND it'd have to be some good friend who'd be willing to kill someone so publicly and risk being seen. As Anna keeps telling us a crime of that nature would get you hung.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

Very patchy episodes with some scenes looking rushed and longer ones for less important topics.

Green's death might have been a genuine accident or it may have been Anna but like a lot of this series you get the feeling that the big action is being saved for the Christmas ep.

I getting confused between all of Mary's merry men.

Wouldn't Edith need to get herself off to Switzerland soon before her pregnancy becomes noticeable?

I like Isobel's new man. Hope it goes somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Mary's men are looking far too similar! Charles Blake and Lord Gillingham are like mirror images of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭lindascribbler

Can't believe I've just checked UPC recorder and Downton not recorded:eek:
    Any clues on how I might see episode 8? I've just tried to download Netflix but Downton isn't on it...
    Any help greatly appreciated

UPC sucks
    try tv3 player or ITV player?? not sure if you can watch episodes back on those!

• Advertisement

UPC sucks
    try tv3 player or ITV player?? not sure if you can watch episodes back on those!

Doesn't seem to be a TV3 player on the UPC on demand.. & I tried to register for ITV player but was told I was "outside region"...
    I don't think either channel repeat Downton any night so it looks as I will have to do without:mad:
    Thanks Sarah anyway

Downton repeats on Sunday at 4:05 on UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bren2001

Doesn't seem to be a TV3 player on the UPC on demand.. & I tried to register for ITV player but was told I was "outside region"...
    I don't think either channel repeat Downton any night so it looks as I will have to do without:mad:
    Thanks Sarah anyway

You could watch it on the laptop. Plenty of places online to watch it.

Downton repeats on Sunday at 4:05 on UTV.

Well so it does!

Thanks so much Sarah, will get my fix after all:P

One is glad to be of service! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is that Wentworth Miller in the show ?

He's uncredited if he is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

the_monkey wrote: »
    Is that Wentworth Miller in the show ?

He's uncredited if he is...

Who do you think he is playing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

brian_t wrote: »
    Who do you think he is playing ?

Sorry my mistake, I thought he was playing the Valet who attacked Anna
    It's Dennis from Eastenders ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oooh I cannot wait for the Christmas special. :) Does anyone think Lady Edith's squeeze is going to make a return or has he done a runner?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Merkin wrote: »
    Oooh I cannot wait for the Christmas special. :) Does anyone think Lady Edith's squeeze is going to make a return or has he done a runner?

Id be surprised if he gets only a mention. What year are we upto? Mid-twenties? Perhaps a mention of Hitler too?

Advertisement