Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downton Abbey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

that is absolutely hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

SarahBM wrote: »
    Well my secondary school history is a bit sketchy, but I thought (Im probably wrong) that Hitler and co were gathering strength around this time, no? open to correction.

I was really just going for the shock factor. LOL

They will be from about 1925 onwards when Hitler gets out of jail and publishes Mein Kampf. The Nazis don't actually become an overwhelming power until the Great Depression. And even then its a narrow democratic coup that puts them in. And some very clever political poker that grants them supremacy.
    The only thing an Englishman would have read in the Times of 1923 / 1924 regarding the Nazis was "another bunch of thugs have a problem with Versailles and guess what - a pathetic attempt at a revolution in a beerhall of all places ended in disarray".
    What he would not have known is Hitler is currently writing Mein Kampf while serving a luxurious jail sentence and deciding that electoral politics will get him to the top (with some deniable mob violence to speed things along).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Well I liked that episode, one of the better ones of not the best series.

Roll on Christmas Day......

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Renewed by ITV for a 5th season Source

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fairly lacklustre end to a lacklustre series, I thought.

They always raise interesting ideas but then never follow them through.

• Advertisement

I have to say I ike where Molesly and Baxter are going. I though Paul Giamatti was supposed to make an appearance as Cora's brother in this series. I was waiting for him all along.
    Very practical wrap up to the Rose situation. Again poor poor Edith. I was waiting for someone to offer her a glass of bubbly only to have her refuse, only she probably would have taken it.
    and oh Mr Bates what have you been up to! I hope the Xmas special is better than what we got so far this season.

I didn't get what Edith was planning with the farmer? I thought she was thinking of shacking up with him but then they were saying what if someone saw you visiting him or if the baby looked like you.

Was she just going to give the baby to the farmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bren2001

I didn't get what Edith was planning with the farmer? I thought she was thinking of shacking up with him but then they were saying what if someone saw you visiting him or if the baby looked like you.

Was she just going to give the baby to the farmer?

Her plan was to give the baby to the farmer to raise. Presumabely, they would let him live their rent free. His family would raise the baby which meant she could have a say in its life i.e. go to the best school etc.

That was not viable as he could threaten to tell people she had a baby out of wedlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭brian_t

I have to say I ike where Molesly and Baxter are going.

Yes I think they are interesting. I'm sure that Barrow will soon let us know what her back-story is.

I presume that Paul Giamatti will appear in the Christmas special.

I thought that Bates / Green was a bit of an anti-climax. I presume that is the end of that storyline as there is no point in having him arrested and in prison, as that has all been done before.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Her plan was to give the baby to the farmer to raise. Presumabely, they would let him live their rent free. His family would raise the baby which meant she could have a say in its life i.e. go to the best school etc.

That was not viable as he could threaten to tell people she had a baby out of wedlock.

I don't think that it was mentioned that he was actually married.

Maybe Gregson will turn up at Christmas and it will be All's Well That Ends Well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Lady Mary's being awfully callous about the alleged love of her life, he's dead only about 10 months and she's already pretty much forgotten him

goose2005 wrote: »
    Lady Mary's being awfully callous about the alleged love of her life, he's dead only about 10 months and she's already pretty much forgotten him

That's what my housemates keep saying, poor Matthew is barely cold and she is having not one but two men fawn all over her and she is enjoying every minute of it. When the butler walked into the room at Rosemund's house to tell her "dinner was on the table" and she totally shot the poor crater down "Mead would never have put it like that!" - or something to that effect. She has really reverted to her pre-Matthew bitchiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bit too convinient with some of the tying up of the storylines I thought, esp Rose and the singer.

Is that the farmer Edith was attracted to in series 2(?) when she worked on a farm during WW1?

paulbok wrote: »
    Bit too convinient with some of the tying up of the storylines I thought, esp Rose and the singer.

Is that the farmer Edith was attracted to in series 2(?) when she worked on a farm during WW1?

no I think its a different farmer. She cant go near him sure, the wife was on to them like!

What about Isobel Crawley and her nice big bunch of flowers.
    Is this going to go somewhere.

brian_t wrote: »
    What about Isobel Crawley and her nice big bunch of flowers.
    Is this going to go somewhere.

How did that eejet not know Matthew was dead and he married to his god daughter. surely he would have been at the wedding!

^ I don't think they'd seen yer man for quite some time. The Dowager mentioned that this visit had been arranged a few years earlier. Why, I don't know.

^ I don't think they'd seen yer man for quite some time. The Dowager mentioned that this visit had been arranged a few years earlier. Why, I don't know.

I think she meant the arrangement that he comes to dinner every year was made, but just because everyone was so busy this year, she got stuck entertaining him.

I think she meant the arrangement that he comes to dinner every year was made, but just because everyone was so busy this year, she got stuck entertaining him.

Well....yes. That does make more sense. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

The thing with Edith considering giving the baby to the farmer seemed very odd. Particularly as it looked as though the plan was hatching as she watched him tending the pigs, as if she might have been thinking "well he is good with those pigs, maybe he'd handle a baby too".

I kept waiting for her boyfriend to come back during the garden party. I cannot believe they didn't tie that one up.

Oh and Mary and her "desire of suitors", so cringey :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mrs Hughes getting more refreshments for The Village People

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Theories in the back of beyond of the internet say it could actually been Anna who killed Green on the grounds that she was in London and knew where he lived.

Barna77 wrote: »
    Theories in the back of beyond of the internet say it could actually been Anna who killed Green on the grounds that she was in London and knew where he lived.

Interesting... and could explain why she asked Mary if anyone had seen it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Exactly.

And she time while Lady M had lunch with Gillingham.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Barna77 wrote: »

Wow, that would be a turn-up. Would kill two birds with one stone - get rid of the fecker who raped her, and also get Bates off the hook should he attempt it some time in the future. It could back-fire though if Bates doesn't have an alibi for the time. I hope they don't go down that road again though - another trial, etc.

Firstly can I just say
    brian_t wrote: »
    If Anna becomes convinced that Bates was going to kill Mr. Green she might step up and kill him (Green) herself.

quickbeam wrote: »
    It could back-fire though if Bates doesn't have an alibi for the time.

Second I think that part of the Anna Theory is that - would Bates have had enough time to get up to London, do the deed and get back to Downton again in the time-frame he had.

Although... why was Anna asking Bates where he was the day before and if he'd done something reckless or whatever way she put it?

^^ Cos she was worried about him not having an alibi?

I'm actually really liking this theory, though I doubt Fellowes is as clever as all that.

quickbeam wrote: »
    ^^ Cos she was worried about him not having an alibi?

Yeah but she wouldn't have been asking him if he'd done something stupid then, she would have just wanted to know where he was.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was clutching at straws. I'd be surprised if the story really does go in that direction.

Advertisement