Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

katydid wrote: »
    We were heading out to an Oktoberfest in our local, so we got in the mood with some Lidl Oktoberfest products. Semmellknödel (bread dumplings) with bratwurst and sauerkraut. Now sitting watching Jules Holland, and drinking Festbier. Also from Lidl.

Just trying to make the Germany hubby feel at home...

I've always been a bit scared of sauerkraut. What's it like? I like cabbage, I'm just not sure if I'd like it pickled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I've always been a bit scared of sauerkraut. What's it like? I like cabbage, I'm just not sure if I'd like it pickled.
    It is quite a unique taste, I can't describe it. You'd have to taste it. For me, it goes very well with ham or German sausages.

My favourite is one called Schubnudeln, which you get at markets in Baden Wuttenberg. It's sauerkraut, small noodles called Spätzle, and chopped up ham. They mix it all together on a big hotplate; it's delicious.

If you ever get your hands on sauerkraut and want to try it, make sure to cook it properly. Germans cook it for about three quarters of an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My favourite is one called Schubnudeln, which you get at markets in Baden Wuttenberg. It's sauerkraut, small noodles called Spätzle, and chopped up ham. They mix it all together on a big hotplate; it's delicious.
    Sounds yummy, I've never had that. Love Spätzle though :D
    If you ever get your hands on sauerkraut and want to try it, make sure to cook it properly. Germans cook it for about three quarters of an hour.
    This ^^ It's tempting to cook it quickly and retain the crunch, but I find it goes right through me if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not so much pickled as fermented in a process whereby naturally occurring bacteria produce lactic acid which preserves it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It doesn't really taste very cabbage-y any more, as it's fermented. But the taste is very hard to describe. When you eat it fresh from the jar, it would be crunchy, salty and sour. I love mixing it into a salad like that.

If you want to eat it warm, you would slowly simmer it for at least 30 minutes with a little stock added and a good pinch of sugar. If you like, you can for example grate an apple into it, or add some carraway seeds. There are as many different variations as there are families in Germany ;)
    After that it will be soft, with a sweet-and-sour taste that goes fantastically with anything smoked (bacon, smoked sausages, smoked fish)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Two rashers, two sausages. With bread. Rare enough in my house.
    And tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

We went to the Donkey Shed in Newbarn Farm, Ashbourne for lunch today. I had the pulled pork bap with coleslaw and fried onions and my husband got the beef burger. Both were divine, I had a bite of the burger and it was the best I've ever tasted! Still full hours later...

I was in the Heritage Garden in Donnybrook at their Autumn Harvest today and they had one of those, 'rustic' pizza ovens and I had a pizza baked in it. Delicious, with a hint of grit. But what the heck, it was a novelty. It was lovely, I was starving and I was happy with it...

Scotch egg and salad, and a flask of coffee in the sunshine on our allotment. Followed by raspberries and blueberries fresh from the bush.

It is quite a unique taste, I can't describe it. You'd have to taste it. For me, it goes very well with ham or German sausages.

Alun wrote: »
    It's not so much pickled as fermented in a process whereby naturally occurring bacteria produce lactic acid which preserves it.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    It doesn't really taste very cabbage-y any more, as it's fermented. But the taste is very hard to describe. When you eat it fresh from the jar, it would be crunchy, salty and sour. I love mixing it into a salad like that.

If you want to eat it warm, you would slowly simmer it for at least 30 minutes with a little stock added and a good pinch of sugar. If you like, you can for example grate an apple into it, or add some carraway seeds. There are as many different variations as there are families in Germany ;)
    After that it will be soft, with a sweet-and-sour taste that goes fantastically with anything smoked (bacon, smoked sausages, smoked fish)

Ta for all the info, peeps! Still haven't tried, but will some day. Don't want to buy it until I try it so might get it on a good quality hotdog or something when I'm out and about to sample it.

• Advertisement

Ta for all the info, peeps! Still haven't tried, but will some day. Don't want to buy it until I try it so might get it on a good quality hotdog or something when I'm out and about to sample it.

The only time I had what the seller called sauerkraut on a hot dog was in New York - I don't know what he put on there, but it certainly wasn't sauerkraut.

For starters, it was red.
    And very sweet.

There's a few Polish restaurants around now, why not try one of them?

Shenshen wrote: »
    The only time I had what the seller called sauerkraut on a hot dog was in New York - I don't know what he put on there, but it certainly wasn't sauerkraut.

For starters, it was red.
    And very sweet.

There's a few Polish restaurants around now, why not try one of them?

I think I saw it being sold on hotdogs at Oktoberfest in Dublin a few years ago but again who knows if it was the real thing?

I think I saw it being sold on hotdogs at Oktoberfest in Dublin a few years ago but again who knows if it was the real thing?

Considering that the German traditional topping for hot dogs is either plain mustard, or else ketchup and copious amounts of curry powder, I think this might be German/Polish cuisine as interpreted by the New World...

Mind you, that hot dog in New York tasted great, just not of sauerkraut ;)

Beef mochi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi white bloomer x 2, warm roast chicken and stuffing, real butter, blody amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Leftover roast beef, tomatoes, rocket & sauce. Delish.

IMG_20150930_123055_zps5poedrqo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I made a big batch of broccoli and cheddar soup - some for the work lunches during the week, some for the freezer and one big bowl for today's lunch. Pure heaven in a bowl.

qDcG0bc.jpg?1

Sunday brunch in Loko, Waterford; sourdough French toast, crispy bacon and maple syrup. and a side order of battered onion rings.

Very nice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I made a big batch of broccoli and cheddar soup - some for the work lunches during the week, some for the freezer and one big bowl for today's lunch. Pure heaven in a bowl.

Can I have your recipe for this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

That soup looks amazing homemadecider, how do you make it? I really need to get into making soups!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Can I have your recipe for this please?

No problem - I used this recipe (but used milk instead of cream): http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/09/broccoli-cheddar-soup/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

No problem - I used this recipe (but used milk instead of cream): http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/09/broccoli-cheddar-soup/

I'd love to make a big big vat of this and just dive in! It looks really sublime. Anything with cheese basically does it for me :)

I had Butlers Pantry carrot cake and a cup of coffee for lunch. Low sugar diet going REALLY well! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Smoked salmon on a potato waffle with sour creme, caperberries and watercress. And some mimosas. Rounding off a week of living like hedonism bot. Back to normal service and pots of soup from now.

O2BbeOg.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mushroom paté with melba toast.

14m9dmo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Id love go be able to make mushroom pate! That looks fab.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Whispered wrote: »
    Id love go be able to make mushroom pate! That looks fab.

It's very easy - it's a River Cottage recipe http://community.rivercottage.net/recipes/mushroom-pt/

I bought the little dish at a car boot sale :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I want that more than I've ever wanted anything in my life! Looks amazing! *drool*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It's very easy - it's a River Cottage recipe http://community.rivercottage.net/recipes/mushroom-pt/

I bought the little dish at a car boot sale :)

Looks gorgeous!

It was charity lunch Monday again yesterday, so I made a mushroom stroganoff (Eastern European version - no fresh cream but sour cream, with lots of pickled cucumbers, green olives and silverskin onions added) with rice.

Lots of happy customers. I need to start taking pictures of this, though, I think :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Grilled halloumi salad with roasted garlic, tomatoes & sweet potato with a salted yoghurt dressing. I'm nodding off over my laptop now.

12038454_10154237404102678_5761382725189415124_n.jpg?oh=49c82be53ed479376c8309c181fa6b18&oe=568F5495&__gda__=1451850900_33226f939877034b9bfa336a2e8f2451

Advertisement