Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy - Notre Dame, 2012 [TOUTING IS FORBIDDEN AND WILL LEAD TO PERMABANS: #205 #628]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

35 Bowls all together. 5 of them are BCS games.

I just had a quick look on Wikipedia and apparently there are 120 Division 1 teams playing football at the moment. With 70 bowl places, that's over half the teams. Surely the honour of playing in a bowl game is somewhat diminished when just about anyone who hasn't ben walked over all year gets in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I just had a quick look on Wikipedia and apparently there are 120 Division 1 teams playing football at the moment. With 70 bowl places, that's over half the teams. Surely the honour of playing in a bowl game is somewhat diminished when just about anyone who hasn't ben walked over all year gets in?

i thought there was 127 might be wrong though. even still its a joke. 20 bowl games would be plenty IMO theres no prestige in it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

only the BCS bowls have prestige. The others are just an extra game where the colleges can make a bit of money

ND used to have a policy of only accepting one of the big 4 (at the time)

Dodge wrote: »
    only the BCS bowls have prestige. The others are just an extra game where the colleges can make a bit of money

ND used to have a policy of only accepting one of the big 4 (at the time)

I was talking pre BCS. if I had a magic want bowl games would be gone anyway.

If you could just erase history, rivalries etc and build a div1 football structure from scratch Id do it like this.

Change div 1 to 8 16 team divisions each with 2 conferences.

you play everybody in your division plus one team from the other conference on a rotation basis.

16 division winners get into the NC playoff.

losers play each other each week to determine 8 - 16th place rankings etc etc

extroploate to all the second place teams, 3rd place teams etc

Every team in Div 1 plays 12 games, each team gets a final ranking.

If only ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Final ranking doesn't bother me. No difference between 6th and 12th IMO

Only thing that bothers me is the yearly dispute over who the national champion is.

Top 8 in ranks should go through to play offs IMO 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5
    Bracket them into a National championship final. Job done

• Advertisement

Final ranking doesn't bother me. No difference between 6th and 12th IMO

true but it could influence recruiting. Anyway its a moot point :p

Top 8 in ranks should go through to play offs IMO 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5
    Bracket them into a National championship final. Job done

id take a freaking and one game right now. If Auburn make it to the NC game its a travesty, the SEC is having a down year by its very lofty standards. I genuinely believe Boise would beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

The marketing push for The Emerald Isle Classic has begun:

http://www.emeraldisleclassic.com/

Some hope resurrected the past couple of weeks with the win versus a good Utah team and a convincing win over Army. This week's game against our arch-rival USC will be telling. We haven't beaten USC in our last eight attempts. Neither of the teams are having stellar years, yet no one can deny USC's talent level.

Which USC team will show up to play Saturday: The team that gave a strong Stanford team all it wanted and beat a top-20 Arizona team or the team that got blown out by a 4-5 Oregon State team last week.

Which ND team will show up: The team that beats a top-20 Utah team or the team that loses to Tulsa.

Given it's ND-USC, I'm thinking both will bring their A-game. While my heart says ND, my head (and the past eight years) says it's USC.

Go Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Only seeing this now!!!!

Def going to head to it....providing my diary stays clear till then,ha!:D

Sun Bowl result:

ND 33 Miami 17

Certainly Miami is a team in transition, but they have several players who will be playing on Sunday. A good win for ND. After ND's loss to Tulsa (who likely will end up in the Top 25 after their destruction of Hawaii in their bowl game), staring at a record of 4-5, few thought ND would go on to win their last four games (including wins against a then-ranked Utah, USC and now Miami). I must admit, after severely doubting coach Brian Kelly following the Tulsa loss, my optimism for the future has been renewed.

Here's to ND finishing recruiting on a positive note. This win, hopefully, will help secure some strong prospects. If ND continues on this trajectory, Aviva Stadium may be seeing a team primed for a solid BCS run come 2012. Here come the Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

when do tickets for this go on sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

skelliser wrote: »
    when do tickets for this go on sale?

The game isn't for another 18 months or so so I doubt they'll be going on sale anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

we can now say Notre Dame are coming NEXT YEAR

As I'm in a posting mood tonight, I thought I'd update all the boards.ie Notre Dame football fans regarding football recruiting.

Notre Dame did very well on the recruiting trail this year. Finishing the season strongly (plus a bowl win) certainly helped Coach Brian Kelly and staff reel in some very fine recruits.

Many consider the incoming recruiting class (2011) to be the strongest defensive class recruited since the Bryant Young class of 1990. Four players in the defensive front seven (Aaron Lynch, Ishaq (pronounced E-shock) Williams, Steve Tuitt and Ben Councell) were sought after by the top programs in the country. If recruiting assessments hold, the folks in Aviva Stadium will likely be seeing at least four future defensive NFL players come September 2012. Combined with top nose-tackle Louis Nix from the class of 2010, ND should have a very solid defensive front seven coming into 2012. There is guarded optimism among Irish fans heading into 2011, with even greater expectations for 2012 if the 2011 season goes as planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭bobo the clown

Also Troy Niklas and Matt Hegarty help the problems of their offensive line. I think the timing of the game is perfect. With this years class and the potential of a similar class of 2012. They could be at the beginning of a strong era. With the prospect of seeing players of NFL calibre. As long as prices are moderate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 coachdrake42

Can't wait to meet the Navy team.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Good piece on the Right Hooke at the moment about the game.

They hope to have tickets on sale March 17th 2012 !

I will update all on ticket sales as I receive them. (inside info)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

. Now ask yourself why Navy and the NCAA chose the Aviva? .

cause there isn't a hope in hell getting croker in September wiht the championship drawing to a close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Torlac wrote: »
    cause there isn't a hope in hell getting croker in September wiht the championship drawing to a close.

Wrong. They were offered croker by the GAA and they visited Croker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well, they wouldn't have been playing it on September 1st there.

I agree with the choice of Aviva Lansdowne Road though. I'd much prefer a sold out out 50,000 than 50,000 in croke park.

I wouldn't see 80,000 turning up no matter what the prices are set as. Hopefully the game will sell out.

Tallaghtoutlaws
    i seriously doubt it, (unless the date hadn't been confirmed,)
    no way a game woould be played in Croker the day before an All Ireland Hurling Final

Tallaghtoutlaws
    i seriously doubt it, (unless the date hadn't been confirmed,)
    no way a game woould be played in Croker the day before an All Ireland Hurling Final

Im just telling you what I was told. The 1st fell on a Saturday they might have talked about moving the hurling to the following weekend. Who knows though but they would have known the date of the game when they were offered the stadium. Money talks at the end of the day and the huge Irish influence in Notre Dame and money it isnt impossible to see it being moved.

Im just telling you what I was told. The 1st fell on a Saturday they might have talked about moving the hurling to the following weekend. .

wtf they'd be hungout to dry for selling out and moving the date of the final. it's always the first sunday of september and the football is always the third.

you have been seriously misinformed i suspect

you have been seriously misinformed i suspect

Doubt it but hey that is your opinion and neither of us truly know what deal was brokered with them originally.

Just some inside infomation on the Navy Notre Dame game in 2012 at the Aviva.

The GAA themselves chose not to cater to the game, silly they did not put more effort into it. That discussion is for another day.

Both Navy & Notre Dame agreed to have the game in Aviva, based on the what it offered.

This game in it self will host more than just the big game. There will be approx 1000-3000 Americans. Including but limited to players, supporters, etc, joining the Spectacular events!

I myself am excited beyond the stars, that my fellow Americans are coming to Ireland despite, well you know.............
    The Trim Bulldogs are excited as well, as it will gain Irish American football organizations so much good exposure!
    I have been speaking to several people in the states associated with the event, & they as well are excited about it. Tourism will have a new name after the big day in 2012. "Irish American football" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Positive gets positive

i suspect there will be a serious mad dash for tickets on this side of the water. really looking forward to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Trampas

Doubt it but hey that is your opinion and neither of us truly know what deal was brokered with them originally.

Have to agree with torlac. it would take something to move the all ireland final and i can't see a college game doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Im just telling you what I was told. The 1st fell on a Saturday they might have talked about moving the hurling to the following weekend. Who knows though but they would have known the date of the game when they were offered the stadium. Money talks at the end of the day and the huge Irish influence in Notre Dame and money it isnt impossible to see it being moved.

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

They hope to have tickets on sale March 17th 2012 ! ??
    Arrgh!

Advertisement