Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy - Notre Dame, 2012 [TOUTING IS FORBIDDEN AND WILL LEAD TO PERMABANS: #205 #628]

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

It seemed to be a great success, hopefully a NFL game comes or maybe even better a big college game??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

Rochey18 wrote: »
    It seemed to be a great success, hopefully a NFL game comes or maybe even better a big college game??

Did you mean "another" big college game? :)

Notre Dame / Navy is one of the biggest draws in college football. It is on par with the Army / Navy game or the Red Rivalry (Texas/Oklahoma) or Florida / Florida State or LSU / Alabama. It has been held in the Meadowlands and FedEx Field and sold out both.

At 50,000+, Aviva is small compared to regular college football venues. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

At the minute Notre Dame and Navy is like saying Leeds and Millwall is a big game. When clearly its not.

Notre Dame just aint where they want to be, but from reading about their program seems like they will get better in coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

Rochey18 wrote: »
    At the minute Notre Dame and Navy is like saying Leeds and Millwall is a big game. When clearly its not.

Notre Dame just aint where they want to be, but from reading about their program seems like they will get better in coming years.

I'm not saying that they are the powerhouses that they once were. Your example borders on hyperbole though. Notre Dame continues on draw crowds in person, selling out every game and commands a national following which provides them with a very lucrative TV rights fee. We will have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Was in West Lower section 123 along with Brian O'Driscoll and Rob Kearney, both got mobbed on their way out at half time.

I have to say there was no queues for the beer/concession stands in the section we where. Literally only 1 person in front of me each time went into the stands for food/beer.

Got a free pint off a Pats fan/Boston native for tipping the dregs off my own beer over.. I got dubbed "Pissy Pants" haha ah free pint made up for the title.

We were sitting beside a few Notre Damers but literally one would go out then another random person would come to the seat for 10/15mins then go out and another person would come to the seat. In all the 2 seats were filled by about 6different people at various stages. Strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

What an irrelevant, idiotic comment

No it is not actually. Truth hurts.

Anyway great day out. Weather and scoops helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Met this sound man from Austria, who takes pix at football games in Europe, he has his pix up on his site now. Check em out at;

http://footballpics.info/

Go to football and you will see the ND Navy link aswell as many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a look through the rosters to see how many of these players are still active....
    • Tyler Eiffert - Tight End, Cincinnati Bengals - Leading the NFL in touchdowns this year.
    • Stephon Tuitt - Conernrback. Pittsburg Steelers - Biggest play of the game this week was his pick and keeps Steelers right in playoff contention.
    • Theo Riddick - Running Back, Detroit Lions - Solid contridutor, 50+ yards in every game this season.
    • Manti T'eo - Linebacker, Sand Diego Chargers - still solidly one of SD's main defenders.
    Anyone else still in the NFL?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Tuitt is a DE.

Interesting stats though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Had a look through the rosters to see how many of these players are still active....
    • Tyler Eiffert - Tight End, Cincinnati Bengals - Leading the NFL in touchdowns this year.
    • Stephon Tuitt - Conernrback. Pittsburg Steelers - Biggest play of the game this week was his pick and keeps Steelers right in playoff contention.
    • Theo Riddick - Running Back, Detroit Lions - Solid contridutor, 50+ yards in every game this season.
    • Manti T'eo - Linebacker, Sand Diego Chargers - still solidly one of SD's main defenders.
    Anyone else still in the NFL?

Zack Martin was a 1st round draft pick for Dallas and immediately became one of the best guards in the league, though the personnel around him certainly helped. The likes of Cierre Wood, George Atkinson and Luis Nix have bounced around practise squads also. Troy Niklas has also flirted with first team action at Arizona - I think he popped up on Red Zone after scoring a touchdown sometime in the past few weeks.

I remember Ronnie Stanley was in on a couple of snaps as a freshman too, and he's expected to be a 1st rounder this year. Sheldon Day was a freshman that year, and again could be going in the top 2 rounds in the upcoming draft, but I don't remember if he played that day or not.

Can't think of any from Navy that are in the league, unsurprisingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can't think of any from Navy that are in the league, unsurprisingly.

Navy cadets commit to 5 years military service after graduation so any of the players that played that day (that aren't still on the team) are probably all off serving somewhere.

Navy cadets commit to 5 years military service after graduation so any of the players that played that day (that aren't still on the team) are probably all off serving somewhere.

That can be delayed AFAIK. Joe Cardona was drafted by the Patriots this year and is playing this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That can be delayed AFAIK. Joe Cardona was drafted by the Patriots this year and is playing this season.

Oh ok. Didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

He is serving right now. He is working around his Pats schedule and the Navy have allowed him to serve and play football. he head to the Naval Prep Academy Newport RI after practice to serve.

Edit: He will go into Full service following the 2015 season also.

JCTO wrote: »
    He is serving right now. He is working around his Pats schedule and the Navy have allowed him to serve and play football. he head to the Naval Prep Academy Newport RI after practice to serve.

Edit: He will go into Full service following the 2015 season also.

He's only a reserve though isn't he? I think that's the only way he's able to play this year. It's either 5 years full service commitment, or 2 years full service and 6 years reserve service. So I think what he's doing now counts towards his 6 years reserve service.

There was an MLS player who was able to do the same, I remember reading about him at the time. He said the Navy wouldn't have allowed him to do the same had it not been for Cardona's high profile approval a few days before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

He's only a reserve though isn't he? I think that's the only way he's able to play this year. It's either 5 years full service commitment, or 2 years full service and 6 years reserve service. So I think what he's doing now counts towards his 6 years reserve service.

There was an MLS player who was able to do the same, I remember reading about him at the time. He said the Navy wouldn't have allowed him to do the same had it not been for Cardona's high profile approval a few days before.

Id say you are right I knew he was in RI and assumed that was him honoring his service but the reserve scenario makes more sense.

Advertisement