Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navy - Notre Dame, 2012 [TOUTING IS FORBIDDEN AND WILL LEAD TO PERMABANS: #205 #628]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I just hope the place won't be full of Bulmers drinking Celtic fans 'Supporting the Irish'

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

Watched Navy give the Irish a whiping at the weekend!!! Still, Cant wait for this, should be great craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Another Irish Voice newspaper article about ND football.

http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/What-a-Notre-Dame-game-looks-like-to-an-Irish-born-visitor--105753153.html

Unfortunately, the early returns on the Brian Kelly era are not promising. Getting blown-out by a good (but not great) Navy team doesn't do much to instill confidence in the faithful (for now) supporters. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

The Notre Dame lines outweighed Navy by over 50 pounds on average,Heck their Linebackers weighed as much as some of the Navy linemen,yet Navy rushed for over 300 yards.
    I dont care how difficult the option is to play against, you're talking about 4 and 5 star recruits (according to rivals and scout), most of whom were offered by all the very best Flordia/USC etc,and they cant beat a team who are in reality walk-ons,as they are not at Annapolis to play football.
    Bob Diaco will be gone by year end im afraid!!!

Was just looking back at Sports Illustrated 2010 College Preview selections, They have Navy finishing 10-2 with Notre Dame 6-6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

when, where will tickets go on sale for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

49ers fan wrote: »
    Was just looking back at Sports Illustrated 2010 College Preview selections, They have Navy finishing 10-2 with Notre Dame 6-6

Thats understandable though with Navy's easy schedule though,so i wouldnt pay much heed to it

Right now,Navy SOS is ranked 96 ,whereas Notre Dame's strength of schedule is ranked 20.

The only decent teams, Navy have on their schedule in my opinion are
    Maryland,Wake Forest and Air Force.With their schedule,they should always win 8-9 games at least.

In Comparison Notre Dame have this year

Michigan,
    Michigan State
    Utah
    Stanford
    USC

All would be considered better teams than anything Navy play.

Notre Dame are far bigger, farfaster and far more athletic than Navy,yet they get destroyed,what horrible coaching and player development!! :mad:

100% agree with you Hammar, Notre Dame have a way tougher schedule of games, agree aswell that the coaching hasn't helped Notre Dame and I thought it was interesting to hear Brian Kelly admitting that they would be switching thier Defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 due to the 'lack of depth on the Defensive Line'.

M three wrote: »
    when, where will tickets go on sale for this?

The game's not for another 2 years so I'd say they won't go on sale for another 12-18 months. Ticketmaster would be my guess for where?

Well-written piece from a current student's blog about the recent sad event that occurred on ND's campus.

http://amyunsettled.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/declan/

Rest in peace, Declan

• Advertisement

Notre Dame looking pretty crap again this weekend! Let's hope they're a bit better in 2012. What was the coach thinking of going for the TD like that?

Possibly the worst eight-day stretch in Notre Dame footbal history:

Blow-out loss to Navy (who the next week are shut-out by Duke at the half and go on to lose to the 1-6 Blue Devils)

Football student manager tragically killed.

Mind-numbing loss to Tulsa - and as you state above, one of the most head-scratching decisions made by a coach to close-out a game I've ever seen. It's first down, you are down one point with forty seconds to go at your opponents twenty, you have a kicker who is 18 for 18 on field goals for the year and you opt to have your true freshman quarterback (who is essentially playing for the first time all year) throw into double-coverage, resulting in a pick.

Worse yet, during the post-game press conference, rather than acknowledging you may have screwed that one up and let your players down, you tell everyone "Get used to it, that's the way we play".

Many of ND football's strongest supporters left Brian Kelly's side after the Tulsa game and after those remarks. I know it's early in Kelly's ND career, but unless Kelly develops some increased self-awareness and makes some necessary changes, I don't see this ending well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Brian Kelly may be new, but his days may be numbered too if he does not turn the team around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Better decision for them to pick Aviva over Croker.

..and the worst decision for those of us who want to go without get fleeched in the process.

Plus you'll get all the townies with their 'Fighting Irish' tattoos thinking it'll be 'f*&Kin rapid' to come along.
    I just hope the place won't be full of Bulmers drinking Celtic fans 'Supporting the Irish'

It's as if you are trying to tell us something...

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Can't wait to go see this. I had a blast when the Steelers Vs Bears game took place in Croke Park years ago. I'm definitly curious to see what the Aviva will be like hosting the ND Vs Navy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Orizio wrote: »
    ..and the worst decision for those of us who want to go without get fleeched in the process.

Seriously? You think it costs less to rent Croke Park than the Aviva? LOL

It's as if you are trying to tell us something...

Yeah, I like repeating my point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Fleeced in what sense? Ticket prices? Concessions? Without knowing the full costs how can you speculate the cost of either venue? The NCAA and Navy will set the prices of the tickets and that will have nothing to do with the FAI or IRFU. Now ask yourself why Navy and the NCAA chose the Aviva? As Dodge said Croker is probably as high if not higher in cost to rent considering it is bigger and has 30,000 more capacity and would require more staff to run the event.

Why is it every time Lansdowne(Aviva) is mentioned with other events people rope in the FAI and IRFU as the ones setting tickets prices. The only thing they set for this game is the cost of the rent for the event. The FAI and IRFU probably couldn't run a pissup in a brewery but the Navy and NCAA obviously will have a lot of say on how this event runs as paying customers.

Oh and just to give you and idea on how Navy set their prices for home games in Annapolis and Neutral Venues:

Res Seating Standing Billy the Kid Standing(Ages 12 & under)
    9/11 Georgia Southern 3:30 PM $33 $20 $12
    10/16 SMU 3:30 PM $33 $20 $12
    10/30 Duke 3:30 PM $38 $20 $12
    11/13 Central Michigan 3:30 PM $33 $20 $12
    11/20 Arkansas State 3:30 PM $33 $20 $12

Neutral Site Game Ticket Information

Upper Level Lower Level Club Level
    9/6 Maryland M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore)
    $45 $55 $75

The interesting one among these:

10/23 Notre Dame New Meadowlands Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ)
    $70 $90 $110

Edit: So looking at this if the tickets are high priced blaming the FAI and IRFU will be pointless as Navy ticket prices are high in Neautral venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

Navy dont play too often at their home stadium as it is so small and maybe why the ticket prices are so high.
    Meadowlands is a big neutral venue and would cost a lot to hire, maybe that is why the price is so high.

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Seriously? You think it costs less to rent Croke Park than the Aviva? LOL

Yes, because that's what I said. Do you enjoy debating strawmans?

I'm assuming the tickets would cost less for Croker, as its a bigger stadium then Aviva, so if the game is well publicised and the demand is high enough the ticket prices are likely to be lower in Croker then in Aviva. Regardless, the ticket prices in Aviva are going to be very high which doesn't help the growth of American Football in Ireland.

I may of course be enitrely mistaken, but debating strawmans and being patronising in reply to me doesn't help.

Why is it every time Lansdowne(Aviva) is mentioned with other events people rope in the FAI and IRFU as the ones setting tickets prices.

Please point out where I said that the FAI/ IRFU set ticket prices in the Aviva stadium.

Thats a very fine post btw, but again, you argued against something I never stated.

Please point out where I said that the FAI/ IRFU set ticket prices in the Aviva stadium.

I do apologise but usually when people complain about ticket prices in Ireland the FAI and IRFU are among the posts :D

But I will ask you have you ever been to a college game in the US? Ticket prices there for D1 colleges can range from $20 to $90 for standard seats. Take the Wolverines in Michigan 100,000+ seater stadium and these are their home ticket average at $60 if you can get them. Boston College games 45,000 seater stadium $35 to $65 depending on seat. Bearing in mind 40 and lower are nose bleeds. These colleges are out to profit when they sell tickets. The point is stadium size is irrelevant to cost. It is more supply and demand and how much they can get away pricing these tickets.

As for helping American Football in Ireland I don't think that is their ultimate goal as some would lead you to believe. As they play each other every year and its a long standing rivalry and played in Neutral Venues a lot, I would see it as a chance to repeat 1996 game in Croker. Sure it promotes the game here to some extent but Im sure its more about a tradition.

To be honest between the UK Ireland and Alumni traveling from all over Europe and the US the Aviva will sell out. I would be very surprised if that game wasn't a sell out.

Yes, because that's what I said. Do you enjoy debating strawmans?
    Clearly
    I'm assuming the tickets would cost less for Croker, as its a bigger stadium then Aviva, so if the game is well publicised and the demand is high enough the ticket prices are likely to be lower in Croker then in Aviva. Regardless, the ticket prices in Aviva are going to be very high which doesn't help the growth of American Football in Ireland.
    Ticket prices were going to be high regardless of where it was held. Giving that the last US College game in Dublin was poorly attended, I don't think they could base the decision on where it was to be held on selling 80,000 in Croke Park.

I'd imagine 45,000 is their aim. Given that Lansdowne costs far less to rent, its clear why it was chosen (ie to keep costs down, and keep ticket prices down).
    I may of course be enitrely mistaken, but debating strawmans and being patronising in reply to me doesn't help.

If you're going to complain about being fleeced on prices that haven't even been set (and comapre them to a mythical game in another stadium), then I'm going to patronise you.

http://www.emeraldisleclassic.com/

Official travel packages now on sale.

Good win for the Irish today against 14th-ranked Utah. First victory over a ranked team since 2006. Has the bleeding stopped? Who knows - but I'm just going to enjoy this one. Kelly went to a more ball-controlled offense to protect the freshman quarterback and it worked. Defense played well. Army (and its option attack) is up next at Yankee Stadium. Get that win and we'll be bowl-eligible. Then on to SC.

cheesehead wrote: »
    Get that win and we'll be bowl-eligible.

And that shows why the whole bowl process is a farce. How many bowls are there now?

Jack, I have no idea how many bowls are being played this year. Obviously, most are meaningless (except to the participating teams fans - even then its debatable if the fans care more about the outcome of the bowl game or more about the bowl-week weather!).

For most teams (including ND this year), outside of the potential revenue garnered in a bowl game, the extra 15 days of practice allowed by the NCAA for bowl-participants is hugely beneficial. In past years, a 6-6 ND team would likely turn down a bowl invitation. If ND gets to 6 wins this year, it very likely would not turn down a bowl bid.

And that shows why the whole bowl process is a farce. How many bowls are there now?

35 Bowls all together. 5 of them are BCS games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cheesehead wrote: »
    If ND gets to 6 wins this year, it very likely would not turn down a bowl bid.

Its not likely its confirmed they will go bowling if their eligible. Kelly came out and said it about a month back.

Advertisement