Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some welcomed additions to wexford shops!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Corvo wrote: »
    Just general experiences of the shops themselves. De Lush, Cappaccinno, O Briens and Stable Diet all do excellently along with The Bean and Berry and Nosh and Coffee which always seem to have a decent and loyal crowd. I think Costa can still have a chunk of that market and do quite well.

I know the people that run one of the places you mention there and they feel trade has never been so bad. It's only when you talk to someone involved in a particular business that you see the problems they face. They will tell you that there are many times when there is nobody in the place and at the peak times, they have to turn people away because assholes are taking up all the seats, spending over an hour on a single coffee. Some days they get a big group arriving at once and they don't have enough space and other days they are throwing away surplus food because unexpected bad weather keeps shoppers in the retail parks and away from the town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

oldyouth wrote: »
    I know the people that run one of the places you mention there and they feel trade has never been so bad. It's only when you talk to someone involved in a particular business that you see the problems they face. They will tell you that there are many times when there is nobody in the place and at the peak times, they have to turn people away because assholes are taking up all the seats, spending over an hour on a single coffee. Some days they get a big group arriving at once and they don't have enough space and other days they are throwing away surplus food because unexpected bad weather keeps shoppers in the retail parks and away from the town

But you know what....thats the industry that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Corvo

Yet Costa Coffee, a renowned coffee establishment, deem they have a market here.

Again it's only an opinion, but I think there is more than enough popularity for it and they would do well. Plus, I don't see whats wrong with giving some of the other competitors a kick, they have been well below standard for a long time.

Costa Coffee obviously felt they could outperform the existing coffee houses, which is fair enough. My point is that the town is not booming, from a retail point of view, and it would result in existing businesses going by the wayside. That's how retail works, I've no problem with that. There is not additional capacity in the town for another premises, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Corvo wrote: »
    What shops do Robertino's own apart from that graveyard they call Robs Ranch?

I thought Robertinos/Robs Ranch, Red Square Pizza, Cappuccinos and the iCafe coffee dock were all under the same ownership. I think i might be wrong on Robs Ranch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 marnieb

Have to say I love Costa coffee, their coffee is normally very good quality, and with some quirky extra flavours. I think that they would def do well, there always seems to be people in coffee shops nowadays, not including the takeaway trade, it has taken trade from pubs probably as it is a nice way to spend a half hour or hour.

Heres what I want to know.

Could Costa take over an already existing coffee place? Or do you think thats it for Costa coming here? Is it a franchise or centrally controlled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The former Corry's shop has re-opened as a ladies (left) and gents (right) boutique, looking all spiffy in a grey theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

RadioRetro wrote: »
    The former Corry's shop has re-opened as a ladies (left) and gents (right) boutique, looking all spiffy in a grey theme.

Who's behind that?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Who's behind that?

Same guy as Berkley and B2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

RadioRetro wrote: »

Was in there today. It looks like a rushed opening, as the place inside doesn't looked finished at all. Also it is very dark in there. Lovely building though and they have a upstairs too, and changing rooms. Seemed to be mostly Diesel and Kangol stuff from what i could see at times.

Another clothes shop. Need that like another Coffee shop !!

Zhane wrote: »
    Same guy as Berkley and B2

And who might that be?

vicwatson wrote: »
    And who might that be?

Not sure of his name

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

Zhane wrote: »
    Not sure of his name
    Not Maftin Stafford, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I see the former Wool Shop beside Simon's is up for let after a total transformation. Space inside looks good, with a mezzanine upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

TK Maxx to open in July - confirmed apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Eldrew wrote: »
    TK Maxx to open in July - confirmed apparently

Town doesn't need it what wexford needs is the revitalisation of the town centre by giving small businesses tax breaks and by not hitting them with exorbitant rates. We really need to concentrate on small retailers they are the soul of the town

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Anybody know what's being built beside Heatons?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Town doesn't need it what wexford needs is the revitalisation of the town centre by giving small businesses tax breaks and by not hitting them with exorbitant rates. We really need to concentrate on small retailers they are the soul of the town

Well as a consumer i cant wait for it to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

I heard Dealz is going in beside Heatons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

But surely the addition of shops such as TK Maxx in places that have not been previously occupied would only mean the Rates base is extended thereby reducing the burden on all other shops. I imagine the rates to be paid by a shop the size of TK Maxx would be considerable.

geeksauce wrote: »
    But surely the addition of shops such as TK Maxx in places that have not been previously occupied would only mean the Rates base is extended thereby reducing the burden on all other shops. I imagine the rates to be paid by a shop the size of TK Maxx would be considerable.

Mrs Oldyouth was paying €6,000 per year in the South end of town for a 900 sq ft retail unit. In addition to this there were water rates and bin collection charges. That's an awful lot when the town is only busy at weekends. The Council need to have a hard look at themselves when it comes to rates and parking

Mrs Oldyouth was paying €6,000 per year in the South end of town for a 900 sq ft retail unit. In addition to this there were water rates and bin collection charges. That's an awful lot when the town is only busy at weekends. The Council need to have a hard look at themselves when it comes to rates and parking

If they cut rates and parking where do they get the shortfall in cash then ? Everyone wants cheap rates but no one seems to be saying where the extra money can be gotten from.

If they cut rates and parking where do they get the shortfall in cash then ? Everyone wants cheap rates but no one seems to be saying where the extra money can be gotten from.

Who says they need or deserve extra money? What exactly are the Council providing for the town that benefits the public or the retailer? Parking is atrocious, street cleaning is an absolute joke, lighting is very bad in many parts of town, the path and road surfaces away from Main Street are very poor (especially on the Quay) and traffic management suggests it was designed by a sadist.

What initiative have they suggested to rectify all of this? They only want to impose parking charges on out of town businesses who have had the sense to remove themselves from the mess that is (commercial) Wexford Town

Hey if I had the answers to Wexfords problems I would be running in the local elections

Who says they need or deserve extra money?

Didn't you answer the above question yourself with the second half of the post below. You ask if they need money and then proceed to give out about the lack of street lighting, poor path and road surfaces, street cleaning etc?!!!!
    What exactly are the Council providing for the town that benefits the public or the retailer? Parking is atrocious, street cleaning is an absolute joke, lighting is very bad in many parts of town, the path and road surfaces away from Main Street are very poor (especially on the Quay) and traffic management suggests it was designed by a sadist.

What initiative have they suggested to rectify all of this? They only want to impose parking charges on out of town businesses who have had the sense to remove themselves from the mess that is (commercial) Wexford Town

Didn't you answer the above question yourself with the second half of the post below. You ask if they need money and then proceed to give out about the lack of street lighting, poor path and road surfaces, street cleaning etc?!!!!

My point is that they are ALREADY taking more than it is required to effect those things properly but can't seem to manage it. Retailers and the public deserve better than the inefficient and inept services given in return. More money will not rectify the current situation

My point is that they are ALREADY taking more than it is required to effect those things properly but can't seem to manage it. Retailers and the public deserve better than the inefficient and inept services given in return. More money will not rectify the current situation

And my point is that the more shops open in Wexford the less the existing ones will have to pay in Rates which is a good thing for the businesses in town already.

How do you know they are taking more than enough to effect the things you mentioned? What is being taken by them each year and how much would it cost to fix the things you mentioned? You must have figures to back up your claims?

• Advertisement

And my point is that the more shops open in Wexford the less the existing ones will have to pay in Rates which is a good thing for the businesses in town already.

How do you know they are taking more than enough to effect the things you mentioned? What is being taken by them each year and how much would it cost to fix the things you mentioned? You must have figures to back up your claims?

You seriously think that the Council will reduce rates should there be full occupancy of the retail units in Wexford? Did it happen during the boom? No, it did not, FACT. Have you any idea of the process involved to try and appeal a rate assessment?

You take a shop with a frontage of 20 feet, do you think it should take up to €300 a week as a contribution towards cleaning the street and maintaining lighting and path maintenance? Then there is water rates and bin collection. Having been there, I would NEVER open a business in Wexford Town again and, judging by the number of vacant units, I am in the same company as family traders and multi-national companies

Advertisement