Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some welcomed additions to wexford shops!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

oldyouth wrote: »
    You seriously think that the Council will reduce rates should there be full occupancy of the retail units in Wexford? Did it happen during the boom? No, it did not, FACT. Have you any idea of the process involved to try and appeal a rate assessment?

You take a shop with a frontage of 20 feet, do you think it should take up to €300 a week as a contribution towards cleaning the street and maintaining lighting and path maintenance? Then there is water rates and bin collection. Having been there, I would NEVER open a business in Wexford Town again and, judging by the number of vacant units, I am in the same company as family traders and multi-national companies

This is about a new shop tk maxx opening its an addition to the current number if shops, meaning an addition to the rates base meaning a greater spread among the shops which results in them paying less.

If there are 100 shops now and fifty new ones open such as tk max in units that havent had shops in them before the rates base is now spread among 150 shops. Its quite clear maybe you need to research how rates are calculated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

geeksauce wrote: »
    This is about a new shop tk maxx opening its an addition to the current number if shops, meaning an addition to the rates base meaning a greater spread among the shops which results in them paying less.

If there are 100 shops now and fifty new ones open such as tk max in units that havent had shops in them before the rates base is now spread among 150 shops. Its quite clear maybe you need to research how rates are calculated.

Truly gobsmacked at your naiveity. Rates do not fluctuate as occupancy rises or falls

Truly gobsmacked at your naiveity. Rates do not fluctuate as occupancy rises or falls

Im gobsmacked at your ability to not read a post. Now read slowly If new shops open not in units where businesses operated from before in new units not previously valued the rates base increases meaning the arv falls.

Try not miss the point now I cant be bothered trying to explain it to you again there is no simpler way to say it if you miss the point now you wont ever understand.

Answer me this and we'll leave it there. If a shop closes and lies vacant, does the landlord have to continue paying rates????

Answer me this and we'll leave it there. If a shop closes and lies vacant, does the landlord have to continue paying rates????

Not as long as its vacant although rumours are around that they could be asked to pay 50% of them each year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone got anything out of new take away - The Greek Fella ? Heard it's newly opened.

Someone mentioned in the Food and Drink forum there is a new chinese open in town - King Pee (?) anyone know anything about it, must check it out next time I'm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

vicwatson wrote: »
    Someone mentioned in the Food and Drink forum there is a new chinese open in town - King Pee (?) anyone know anything about it, must check it out next time I'm down.

It's all you can eat. Went there last weekend. Really nice food and any amount of it. I think 11-12 euro per person. Wine a bit on the pricey side alright. €22 for a house white.

Like an all you can eat buffet?

Like an all you can eat buffet?

As much as a man can handle. You order off a menu and they serve you. As many starters as you like (they are small) and if you want to go starter again that's ok. A good selection of food on the menu.

• Advertisement

Not too bad for 11/12 euro so?

Not too bad for 11/12 euro so?

I think it's excellent value. I'm not the biggest eater in the world but love that you can try all the selections on the menu if you wish.

Where is it everybody?

Where is it everybody?

Sussed it out online and seems to be on Anne Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Sussed it out online and seems to be on Anne Street

Yup. In the past few years the place has been;
    • a tapas restaurant
    • a Polish restaurant
    • a kebab and pizza place

Up there with the Indian restaurant(s) on Westgate as the most revamped spot in the Town!

druss wrote: »

Up there with the Indian restaurant(s) on Westgate as the most revamped spot in the Town!

There has to be more behind that restaurant. It was never busy in any guise and it was always an Indian restaurant. Why did so many different groups seem so anxious to take over a place with no track history in a lousy location?

druss wrote: »
    Yup. In the past few years the place has been;
    • a tapas restaurant
    • a Polish restaurant
    • a kebab and pizza place

It was also a "family" restaurant beforehand, can't remember the name but was nice, it was a husband and wife team (think she was German or Swiss) and the husband died and I think the woman found it too much on her own after that and gave it up, food used to be nice, what was the name of it now? hmmmm now.
    There has to be more behind that restaurant. It was never busy in any guise and it was always an Indian restaurant. Why did so many different groups seem so anxious to take over a place with no track history in a lousy location?

Not always ! it was The Ocean Bed and La Dolce Vita before that but I get what you mean, I couldn't tell you the name of it now, it has been Indian restaurants for at least 10 years, Mukat was one name !! Don't think that restaurant has ever been advertised has it?

Not always ! it was The Ocean Bed and La Dolce Vita before that but I get what you mean, I couldn't tell you the name of it now, it has been Indian restaurants for at least 10 years, Mukat was one name !! Don't think that restaurant has ever been advertised has it?

That's my point, it is closed yet again. It has never done a decent trade, never promoted itself and I'm sure it will open again as an Indian in the near future. Very odd to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Another restaurant arriving in Crescent Quay (timely as Forde's has closed and the Potato Market's "kitchen renovations" seem to have stalled. It's going to be in the old general goods store between Cinema Lane and Henrietta Street. Best of luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Wish you the best with your venture.

If the point is to have added value to the food you sell then it's a good plan but charge more as it's a convenience to get alcohol with your food delivered - then I imagine it will have a limited lifespan.

If the alcohol is competitively priced then I see a market for it, I'd order a 6 pack with my dinner no problem, if the price was right.

How do the likes of Tesco work on the ID thing on delivery for alcohol at the door, and Supervalu and anyone else that offers delivery service, worth sussing out how they do it?

Also, Can you 100% ensure your drivers won't be doing favours for their neighbours etc on the age issue?

Supervalu and tesco ask for ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eliza1

Shoe Shop opening soon beside Mr Duffys Sweet Shop. It used to be Click.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see a Nigel Hamilton (is he the Phone Doctor?) has objected to TK Maxx development in Wexford after Wexford town council granted planning permission. It has now gone to Bord Pleanala and the case won't be heard until Sept. This suggests TK Maxx won't open until 2015 now. I wonder why he objected to it?

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/243330.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see a Nigel Hamilton (is he the Phone Doctor?) has objected to TK Maxx development in Wexford after Wexford town council granted planning permission. It has now gone to Bord Pleanala and the case won't be heard until Sept. This suggests TK Maxx won't open until 2015 now. I wonder why he objected to

The other objector (streamline properties ltd) is a company owned by by Philip Stafford of Drinagh which is in receivership (Bank of Ireland appointed). He is also a director of a good few other companies. Anyone know what their problem is??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Taking trade from the main st allot of retail people want the main street put first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Eldrew wrote: »

The other objector (streamline properties ltd) is a company owned by by Philip Stafford of Drinagh which is in receivership (Bank of Ireland appointed). He is also a director of a good few other companies. Anyone know what their problem is??

The link shows that Streamline is the Applicant seeking the permission to make the changes to the building, not the Appellant (there is only one appellant - Hamilton). I imagine Streamline own or have the lease on the building and are seeking the change to accommodate TK Maxx's requirements.

As regards out of town shopping centres and retail parks, I agree it damages town centres but can you really call Paul Quay non town centre? It will still attract shoppers into the town proper. I feel objecting here is a little short sighted.

ongarboy wrote: »
    The link shows that Streamline is the Applicant seeking the permission to make the changes to the building, not the Appellant (there is only one appellant - Hamilton). I imagine Streamline own or have the lease on the building and are seeking the change to accommodate TK Maxx's requirements.

As regards out of town shopping centres and retail parks, I agree it damages town centres but can you really call Paul Quay non town centre? It will still attract shoppers into the town proper. I feel objecting here is a little short sighted.

Particularly in recession

Not sure if this will work but.......

http://planning.wexford.ie/serve.php?q=01056993

EDIT - Yeh link is ok,

Seems like he is unhappy about the development's location, he thinks it should be on the main street, where its located he reckons it going to take more trade away from the main street.

He might have a point. But why is he the only objector/appellant?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ah Christ he can't be serious like.

Traders objecting to an attractive business locating in a town that is commercially dying!!!

I give up.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Not sure if this will work but.......

http://planning.wexford.ie/serve.php?q=01056993

EDIT - Yeh link is ok,

Seems like he is unhappy about the development's location, he thinks it should be on the main street, where its located he reckons it going to take more trade away from the main street.

He might have a point. But why is he the only objector/appellant?

wont open!

Advertisement