Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some welcomed additions to wexford shops!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

the kelt wrote: »
    Im curious as to what business's suffered on Sth Main St from Tescos opening?

South Main St is and was basically full of food outlets, pubs, entertainment centres and auctioneers none of which loses business to tesco!

No, but the lack of an anchor business there slows the footfall for the other traders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

McLoughlin wrote: »
    How about every local business in Lowneys Mall that had been operating for a long time some since at least the 80s that had to close due to Tesco moving ?

How many closed or how many moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Eldrew wrote: »
    It'll last alright - there is enough money around and plenty of it passing that roundabout to/from rosslare all year round.

Yes all PASSING.

Are Meadows and Byrne know in England or mainland Europe for people coming off the boats ?? Doubt if they'll stop in.

oldyouth wrote: »
    All new retail outlets in Wexford get a fantastic initial splurge. Look at Mickey D's, KFC, Homestore & More, Mr. Price etc. It will b the same with TK Maxx

There aren't enough people in the area to support everyone. For each new business opening, someone is going to close. Natural selection I suppose

Though who'd have though DID and Carpet Right would still be knocking around 6 years into a recession ??

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

vicwatson wrote: »
    Yes all PASSING.

Are Meadows and Byrne know in England or mainland Europe for people coming off the boats ?? Doubt if they'll stop in.

Meadows & Byrne will do well there - there are a huge amount of holiday makers staying in or around wexford and rosslare from early spring to late autumn who will pile in there not to mention the locals. Kellys cafe will be a great pull. They will set a high standard and its up to the competition to compete - that's what business is all about. Joyce's are a great example of how to react to competition - they were proactive about competing and they out do DID year after year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Was in the cafe today. Thought it was expensive to be honest. Cappuccino and scone over 5.00. Bit over piced don't you think?

Meadows & Byrne will do well there - there are a huge amount of holiday makers staying in or around wexford and rosslare from early spring to late autumn who will pile in there not to mention the locals. Kellys cafe will be a great pull. They will set a high standard and its up to the competition to compete - that's what business is all about.

I hope you are right, but doubt it.
    Joyce's are a great example of how to react to competition - they were proactive about competing and they out do DID year after year.

And they were robbing everyone in Wexford for years until competition such as DID came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

muirsheen wrote: »
    Was in the cafe today. Thought it was expensive to be honest. Cappuccino and scone over 5.00. Bit over piced don't you think?

Very similar price to D'Lush etc where the quality is just as good. Plenty of places selling dreadful coffee and hard scones for <€3 but you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Very similar price to D'Lush etc where the quality is just as good. Plenty of places selling dreadful coffee and hard scones for <€3 but you get what you pay for

Mmm...D'Lush coffee :)

Anyone got breakfast in "Kellys cafe" in M&B ? Thinking Sunday morning

• Advertisement

Anyone got breakfast in "Kellys cafe" in M&B ? Thinking Sunday morning

You must mean Brunch. I think it opens at 12 on Sundays

You must mean Brunch. I think it opens at 12 on Sundays

Of course I meant brunch:pac:

Of course I meant brunch:pac:

'Breakfast' is so yesterday.............:p

'Breakfast' is so yesterday.............:p

"Brunch at Tiffanys" hmmm, doesn't quite have the same ring to it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jugglenet

Sorry if this has already been asked but where exactly is TK Maxx going? I see stickers on a window next to The White Horse Pub but that has to be way too small? If goes there we may aswell call it TK Min.

Oh and when is it supposed to be opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

jugglenet wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been asked but where exactly is TK Maxx going? I see stickers on a window next to The White Horse Pub but that has to be way too small? If goes there we may aswell call it TK Min.

Oh and when is it supposed to be opening?

It's going into the big white building next to it. The ad space on the place you're talking about is just advertising that it's coming and that unit is close to it, so perfect for another business there. (It's not)

Had lunch in Meadows & Byrne yesterday. Very big queues (1.45pm) and very few free tables, though it obviously thinned out by 2pm. Got my hot meal quickly from the lady behind the counter but had to queue for around 10 minutes to pay. Teething problems I'm sure. Lovely grub, though slightly on the expensive side. Having said that, I'd rather have quality than get a huge plate of muck for half the price, like some other places.

I thought the shop itself was low on stock and hardly anyone buying in the hour I was there.

Had lunch in Meadows & Byrne Kellys Cafe yesterday. Very big queues (1.45pm) and very few free tables, though it obviously thinned out by 2pm. Got my hot meal quickly from the lady behind the counter but had to queue for around 10 minutes to pay. Teething problems I'm sure. Lovely grub, though slightly on the expensive side. Having said that, I'd rather have quality than get a huge plate of muck for half the price, like some other places.

I thought the shop itself was low on stock and hardly anyone buying in the hour I was there.

FYP :D

Yes the Cafe is good alright, not too pricey and nice food, had a pizza there (very adventurous I know) and it was very tasty, nice crust, good sauce and real tasty Mozzarella - €9.00

They do quiche and the likes with 2 salads for €8.50. Soups looked good.

Shop wouldn't do anything for me, will spin into the Cafe again though.

Was very very busy there last Saturday, even after the normal lunch hour (13.00)

JPEG of Kellys Cafe menu here as I couldn't find it online -

http://omg.wthax.org/6qEukJ.jpg

One thing that bugs me about this and other people's menus is the failure to display the price of Tea, Coffee, Glass of Milk etc etc, Kellys have a cabinet full of soft drinks etc etc to the right of this menu and there wasn't the price of one item on it.

I guess they have the "sure if they take it as far as the till they won't put it back" mentality. Bugs me though. Put the bloody price up so people can make an informed choice.

JPEG of Kellys Cafe menu here as I couldn't find it online -

http://omg.wthax.org/6qEukJ.jpg

One thing that bugs me about this and other people's menus is the failure to display the price of Tea, Coffee, Glass of Milk etc etc, Kellys have a cabinet full of soft drinks etc etc to the right of this menu and there wasn't the price of one item on it.

I guess they have the "sure if they take it as far as the till they won't put it back" mentality. Bugs me though. Put the bloody price up so people can make an informed choice.

Did you make the suggestion to the manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Had lunch in Meadows & Byrne yesterday. Very big queues (1.45pm) and very few free tables, though it obviously thinned out by 2pm. Got my hot meal quickly from the lady behind the counter but had to queue for around 10 minutes to pay. Teething problems I'm sure. Lovely grub, though slightly on the expensive side. Having said that, I'd rather have quality than get a huge plate of muck for half the price, like some other places.

The q to pay for hot food once served is very frustrating all right and would be very easy to put right. I'll be back though, good range of food and the kids liked it too. Welcome diversion from their near neighbours!

The q to pay for hot food once served is very frustrating all right and would be very easy to put right. I'll be back though, good range of food and the kids liked it too. Welcome diversion from their near neighbours!

The problem seemed to be that the cashiers also have to make the coffees and people were returning to that area after their meal to get their pre-paid beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Had a cappuccino and slice of cake 5.90. Way too pricey for me. Yes coffee is nice but still too pricey.

Zhane wrote: »
    Did you make the suggestion to the manager?

Tried but couldn't get one at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

RadioRetro wrote: »
    There's a planning application on the window of the former O'Neill's opposite Carrig Don seeking to change the use from retail to coffee shop.

Denied according to the cover story on the Wexford People. Objections received from Robertinos and O'Briens.

The gist of the objections seemed to be that there are too many coffee shops in town and bringing in more would result in job losses.

Doesn't the Robertinos grouping control 3 coffee shops? And there are two O'Briens?

That said, I do think there is plenty of coffee coverage already

druss wrote: »
    Denied according to the cover story on the Wexford People. Objections received from Robertinos and O'Briens.

The gist of the objections seemed to be that there are too many coffee shops in town and bringing in more would result in job losses.

Doesn't the Robertinos grouping control 3 coffee shops? And there are two O'Briens?

I knew Hayes would have something to say alright. To be honest, Obriens is muck, so i wouldnt have minded Costa.

druss wrote: »

Let's be honest, O Briens is overpriced muck and I would have loved to have seen Costa come in and provide some competition. Would have created more jobs too and I'm not of the belief that it would have led to job losses for the other stores, as the current shops around seem to be booming and you may have seen Costa "do a Subway" and open up another outlet in Drinagh or the like.

What shops do Robertino's own apart from that graveyard they call Robs Ranch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Is Tesco free delivery in wexford ?

Corvo wrote: »
    Would have created more jobs too and I'm not of the belief that it would have led to job losses for the other stores, as the current shops around seem to be booming

Serious question. What do you base that on?

• Advertisement

Serious question. What do you base that on?

Just general experiences of the shops themselves. De Lush, Cappaccinno, O Briens and Stable Diet all do excellently along with The Bean and Berry and Nosh and Coffee which always seem to have a decent and loyal crowd. I think Costa can still have a chunk of that market and do quite well.

Advertisement