Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

What is the justification given for doing the Glenmore - Waterford section?
    2018 traffic volumes would appear to be higher than elsewhere on the N25 east of Youghal.
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6
    They're actually slightly higher than the M9.
    There's a big drop off on the traffic volumes east of New Ross, so a lot of that traffic is either commuter traffic from New Ross and/or Waterford traffic heading to South East Dublin.

Is the M25-M11 officially an alternative route to Dublin?
    I've heard lots of "the EU have mandated that all roads in Ireland to airports/ports have to be at least DC", but that could have been the man with the brown paper bag.
    Although Rosslare is geographically closest to the EU, Brexit looming, decent road infrastructure imminent, there doesn't seem to be a viable business case for expanding the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

josip wrote: »
    I've heard lots of "the EU have mandated that all roads in Ireland to airports/ports have to be at least DC", but that could have been the man with the brown paper bag.
    Although Rosslare is geographically closest to the EU, Brexit looming, decent road infrastructure imminent, there doesn't seem to be a viable business case for expanding the port.

Interestingly, the EU is seeing Cork and Dublin as the strategic ports:
    https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-french-ireland-ports-cut-out-of-eu-trade-route-after-brexit/

However, the French subsequently vetoed the proposal to move Ireland traffic from French ports, claiming they can handle post brexit trade there.

It’ll be an interesting year in shipping and haulage.

As an aside, cork to roscoff is actually quicker than Rosslare to roscoff. Would mostly be ship speeds but I’m sure I’ve read there’s very little if anything in comparative distance between Rosslare/Ringaskiddy and France

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

46506793042_fbc08504ce_b.jpg

2019 photo of the Bridge construction

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

I have heard from a bloke who was drinking out of a brown paper bag that the bridge has serious structural flaws but our useless government have got big pharma on the job to suppress this information. It is important that you copy & paste this into social media to demonstrate that this country is f"""ed & that it is run by incompetent corrupt morons who have the mainstream press in their pocket & that they intend to introduce genetically modified manure & artificial food (or something like that - don't be bothering with the details). On that matter don't ever listen to experts - an expert is someone who knows more & more about less & less until they ultimately know f**k all about nothing. The only hope is that they stop this bridge & convert the existing truncated structure into housing for the homeless.
    It's well past time that the state & it's associated apparatus of suppression take me on board as a consultant - again I appeal to you all to copy & paste this info - I'm all you have got between you & doom.
    Some may accuse me of orchestrating outrage & disseminating discontent - nothing could be further from the truth & to validate my credentials may I wist you all a happy 2019 - it will be happier if you follow me.
    Obviously in the interim I will require voluntary donation to continue my important project of countering cosy cartels conniving contrary (to) citizen concerns (CCCCCCC). Rock on brothers (& sisters) - I an seriously serious (I think).

Don't drink and write... ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Cracking pics as always, thanks for the uploads, M17.
    Note that they are not M17’s photos, they are reposted from Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

spacetweek wrote: »
    Cracking pics as always, thanks for the uploads, M17.
    Note that they are not M17’s photos, they are reposted from Facebook.

Ahhhh....ok. :-D

I don't have Facebook, anyway, so thanks for uoloading them, so. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

m17 wrote: »
    Both sides of the barrow crossing 14/12/18

Mod Note: Photos by insta_mavic - www.facebook.com/instamavic/
    m17. I really enjoyed your photos of the M17/M18. You provided a great service to boards users such as myself.

However, if you are going to post other people's photos, can you please credit them appropriately. It's the right thing to do.

In fairness, you have credited photos that you got from the m11 website, so I don't see why the facebook photos don't deserve the same.

Unless of course, you are instamavic, but it seems to have been stated here categorically that you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

serfboard wrote: »
    m17. I really enjoyed your photos of the M17/M18. You provided a great service to boards users such as myself.

However, if you are going to post other people's photos, can you please credit them appropriately. It's the right thing to do.

In fairness, you have credited photos that you got from the m11 website, so I don't see why the facebook photos don't deserve the same.

Unless of course, you are instamavic, but it seems to have been stated here categorically that you are not.
    The above has been removed sorry if I have upset people by not giving them a mention i hope to get down there over the next few weeks with drone shots of my own

• Registered Users Posts: 19 insta_mavic

A few of my own photos from the new bridge which have been taken over the last few days. I don't mind anyone sharing my photos as long as proper credit is given. All of them can be found on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/instamavic/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 insta_mavic

A video I recorded earlier in the week. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

In total, the announcement sets out €6.3 million for several projects around the county.

The funding includes for the delivery and design a number of strategic road projects such as the N24 Cahir to Waterford section west from Mooncoin, and N25 Waterford to Glenmore, which will connect to the New Ross bypass due to open later this year.

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/356180/n24-tower-road-among-schemes-confirmed-funding-as-part-of-6-3m-announcement-for-kilkenny.html

The money is there now for Waterford - Glenmore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Im surprised at that to be honest. It is of course welcomed so i hope it does happen. It isnt a long stretch so im sure it would be built in a short enough time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

alta stare wrote: »

Im surprised at that to be honest. It is of course welcomed so i hope it does happen. It isnt a long stretch so im sure it would be built in a short enough time frame.

I hope it will freeflow onto the New Ross bypass at Glenmore junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

alta stare wrote: »

I'm banging the drum a bit but its a decent enough road as it is, I can only imagine they do not want two bits of DC with S2 in between so are pushing this. But to do this before Midleton - Youghal bridge is bad enough, to suggest it with Midleton - Youghal bridge not even being considered at all is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I'm banging the drum a bit but its a decent enough road as it is, I can only imagine they do not want two bits of DC with S2 in between so are pushing this. But to do this before Midleton - Youghal bridge is bad enough, to suggest it with Midleton - Youghal bridge not even being considered at all is a bit ridiculous.

Waterford to Glenmore wouldn't take that long to build so maybe thats the thinking. Knock that out asap and then move on to bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

road_high wrote: »
    Also Glenmore to Waterford bypass is pie in the sky as there are dozens of schemes more critical that need attention- this was completely upgraded early1990s- some other roads haven’t changed since the 1950s... The N25 in west Waterford and co cork itself being prime examples.

Glenmore to Rosbercon was built in the early 90s, the other direction to Slieverue was only widened, the schemes joined round where the tractor and Ag machinery place at the top of the hill

Re the wire barriers, is there any evidence of bikers being killed by the wire? I'd imagine sliding and hitting a pole under Armco would have serious repercussions also

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Glenmore to Rosbercon was built in the early 90s, the other direction to Slieverue was only widened, the schemes joined round where the tractor and Ag machinery place at the top of the hill

Re the wire barriers, is there any evidence of bikers being killed by the wire? I'd imagine sliding and hitting a pole under Armco would have serious repercussions also
    The section between the new N25 roundabout and Rosbercon is massive, serious width along there. You could easily fit in a dual carriageway around where the overbridge is. It'll be some standard of regional road when complete.

marno21 wrote: »
    The section between the new N25 roundabout and Rosbercon is massive, serious width along there. You could easily fit in a dual carriageway around where the overbridge is. It'll be some standard of regional road when complete.

Will the speed limit be reduced to 80km/h so?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Will the speed limit be reduced to 80km/h so?
    At the discretion of Kilkenny County Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 makowski

It will be November 2019 before this bridge opens there now six months behind on progress

Considering that the Glenmore roundabout and surrounding roadworks was to be completed and Road Works Speed Limit order was to removed in May 2018, and still no sign of it be concluded and removed, I am not entirely surprised.

• Advertisement

It will be November 2019 before this bridge opens there now six months behind on progress

Any reason given for what's a fairly significant slippage?
    The weather hasn't been any worse than would be expected since construction started, even better than would be expected I think.
    And they're using that traveller system for the actual bridge construction which is supposed to make construction very fast according to their marketing?

46670022151_5542c53bfd_b.jpg

From Saturday night

ggmOci0.png

The new ross bypass Jan 2019

The rfk bridge 04/02/2019

46987629582_babbc7d27f_b.jpg
    40074859653_85e4232051_b.jpg

The Bridge today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Have they reopened the road at the Pink Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Frostybrew

Slightly off topic question, was the Pink Rock road originally part of the N25 back in the late 1970s and 80s? I travelled the road back in 1982 on the way to the ferry and remember it being a narrow enough winding road that you from which you could see the Barrow. I know that a new stretch of road was constructed in this area in the late 80s or 90s.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Slightly off topic question, was the Pink Rock road originally part of the N25 back in the late 1970s and 80s? I travelled the road back in 1982 on the way to the ferry and remember it being a narrow enough winding road that you from which you could see the Barrow. I know that a new stretch of road was constructed in this area in the late 80s or 90s.

Yes, it was the N25 until I think 1990 when the new part was constructed as far as the bottom of Glenmore Hill.
    The road was originally laid down in 1910 if my grand uncle remembered correctly.
    Also during the 70s and 80s the river shipping channel hadn't been straightened and the ships sailed very close to the road.
    The best part of the road by the pink rock back then was 'The Hamburger Lady' who sold out of a caravan.
    She actually lived directly opposite of where she sold, Stewarts on the Wexford side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Frostybrew

Yes, it was the N25 until I think 1990 when the new part was constructed as far as the bottom of Glenmore Hill.
    The road was originally laid down in 1910 if my grand uncle remembered correctly.
    Also during the 70s and 80s the river shipping channel hadn't been straightened and the ships sailed very close to the road.
    The best part of the road by the pink rock back then was 'The Hamburger Lady' who sold out of a caravan.
    She actually lived directly opposite of where she sold, Stewarts on the Wexford side.

Thanks for the info. Hard to believe that such a narrow road could have once been a national primary route.

Advertisement