Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

This type of road is an alternative to the wide single carriageway with shoulders of old. These routes are not very busy, there is a limited to what provision is reasonable.

Oh right v good.

If you are suggesting the New Ross to Wexford/Rosslare is not a busy road i would disagree. I travel it quite a bit and it always has a good bit of activity on it more than the Waterford bypass which is seemingly a better type road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

This type of road is an alternative to the wide single carriageway with shoulders of old. These routes are not very busy, there is a limited to what provision is reasonable.

Yeah. Rebuild the railway to Waterford and Macmine Junction and if the cyclists want exercise let them be a chain gang to do the work. Healthy in every respect.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Waterford bypass is Type 1 (basically motorway), and they have to have concrete medians now. (The M6 Ballinasloe to Athlone was built with a crash barrier and the then-NRA flipped the lid and insisted on it being concrete in the future)

New Ross bypass is Type 2, also known as 2+2. Had no hard shoulders at all and has cheese wire grating or a crash barrier in the middle.

N25 New Ross Bypass is Type 1 as far as the N25/R733 junction and Type 2 east of there.

It's assumed that when the N25 Waterford-Glenmore scheme is built that Kilmeaden-New Ross will all be continuous Type 1 which *could* be redesignated motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ah ok. Didn't realise.

Nice as Waterford - Glenmore would be, I've always said that it would be a bit criminal if that section, despite being S2 between two Type 1/2 bits, was done before the Dungarvan bypass or Midleton - Youghal.

Ah ok. Didn't realise.

Nice as Waterford - Glenmore would be, I've always said that it would be a bit criminal if that section, despite being S2 between two Type 1/2 bits, was done before the Dungarvan bypass or Midleton - Youghal.

I cant see Waterford Glenmore being done for a very long time, if ever. The road between the (new) Glenmore roundabout and the Luffany roundabout isnt bad so id guess they would see it as adequate. The distance between the roundabouts isnt much either so i cant see anything happening for a long time.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    N25 New Ross Bypass is Type 1 as far as the N25/R733 junction and Type 2 east of there.

It's assumed that when the N25 Waterford-Glenmore scheme is built that Kilmeaden-New Ross will all be continuous Type 1 which *could* be redesignated motorway.

If that road was redesignated as motorway surely they would do away with the toll plaza. Probably not given it is still under contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

alta stare wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »

If that road was redesignated as motorway surely they would do away with the toll plaza. Probably not given it is still under contract.

Why would they?

Why would they?

Why would they what??? Redesignate it or remove the toll plaza??

They may want to upgrade to motorway because they may feel it warrants it. The road is clearly motorway standard so why not.

Removal of the plaza would save having to stop on the motorway. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Lots of motorways have tolls. They're not going to remove it just because it's a motorway.

I cant see Waterford Glenmore being done for a very long time, if ever. The road between the (new) Glenmore roundabout and the Luffany roundabout isnt bad so id guess they would see it as adequate. The distance between the roundabouts isnt much either so i cant see anything happening for a long time.

It was actually next on the list after New Ross and the Waterford bypasses. I couldn't comprehend why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It was actually next on the list after New Ross and the Waterford bypasses. I couldn't comprehend why.
    Indeed, and the Blueshirts now have it prioritised too - Waterford-Glenmore & Carrigtwohill-Midleton (and Wexford-Rosslare) are being prioritised.

Meanwhile, Midleton-Youghal, Dungarvan-Waterford are being classed as not a priority until after 2027. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭prunudo

Irrespective of the above i still think having such small barriers separating a DC seems inadequate.

Agree, can't see that barrier stopping a fully laden artic. It looks so low that it could just cause it to flip over.
    Would much prefer to see the concrete style barriers seperating carriageways.
    Even from a maintenance point of view the uprights cause dirt and debris to collect over time, eventually causing weeds to grow.

Oh really??? Im surprised at that.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Lots of motorways have tolls. They're not going to remove it just because it's a motorway.

Of course they do. Still doesnt mean there isnt a possibility of the plaza being removed after the end of contract. 2036 i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Rumour that there is an area marked out for toll on the current works , if required in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Nonsense

Nonsense

And still nonsense

Rumour that there is an area marked out for toll on the current works , if required in the future.

I hope it doesnt end up as a toll. If it does ill just go back to driving through New Ross.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Waterford bypass is Type 1 (basically motorway), and they have to have concrete medians now. (The M6 Ballinasloe to Athlone was built with a crash barrier and the then-NRA flipped the lid and insisted on it being concrete in the future)

New Ross bypass is Type 2, also known as 2+2. Had no hard shoulders at all and has cheese wire grating or a crash barrier in the middle.
    Tuam bypass
    IMAG2585_zpslyuzzfhy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Cheese wire shouldn’t be allowed. Absolutely leathal for motorcyclists.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great to see sections of the New Ross bypass virtually complete. :) Will any of these be open to traffic before the Barrow bridge is complete?

Also I notice the barrier is a solid Armco like one, not a cheese/wire rope one. Ideally it would have been a concrete barrier but the solid metal one is better than wire rope IMO. Will this become the standard for new 2+2 DCs going forward?

• Advertisement

Hopefully. I SUSPECT that they dont use the concrete barrier for cost reasons or to make sure they are distinguished from Type 1. Not that that makes it acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hard to know.
    There wasn't much progress with the New Ross bypass until Sean Connick briefly became a TD, a momentum that was maintained under Howlin's Wexford ministership.
    Now that South Kilkenny has John Paul Phelan, who knows how future infrastructural budgets will be allocated.

josip wrote: »
    Hard to know.
    There wasn't much progress with the New Ross bypass until Sean Connick briefly became a TD, a momentum that was maintained under Howlin's Wexford ministership.
    Now that South Kilkenny has John Paul Phelan, who knows how future infrastructural budgets will be allocated.

South Kilkenny is too close to Waterford City so Mr Phelan wont encourage any development down that way, he would be worried we might invade like we tried a couple of years ago. :D

The barrow crossing 27/12/18
    doNfCFq.jpg

As 2018 draws to a close wishing all you roadies a happy new year
    FEkT1Fh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I was talking to a guy today who works on the bypass. According to him, the 'official' planned date for the bridge completion is Q4 but there's not a hope of that. Early 2020 more likely.

Pinch of salt and all that but long way to go on the bridge...

Azatadine wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy today who works on the bypass. According to him, the 'official' planned date for the bridge completion is Q4 but there's not a hope of that. Early 2020 more likely.

i48nXO4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I have heard from a bloke who was drinking out of a brown paper bag that the bridge has serious structural flaws but our useless government have got big pharma on the job to suppress this information. It is important that you copy & paste this into social media to demonstrate that this country is f"""ed & that it is run by incompetent corrupt morons who have the mainstream press in their pocket & that they intend to introduce genetically modified manure & artificial food (or something like that - don't be bothering with the details). On that matter don't ever listen to experts - an expert is someone who knows more & more about less & less until they ultimately know f**k all about nothing. The only hope is that they stop this bridge & convert the existing truncated structure into housing for the homeless.
    It's well past time that the state & it's associated apparatus of suppression take me on board as a consultant - again I appeal to you all to copy & paste this info - I'm all you have got between you & doom.
    Some may accuse me of orchestrating outrage & disseminating discontent - nothing could be further from the truth & to validate my credentials may I wist you all a happy 2019 - it will be happier if you follow me.
    Obviously in the interim I will require voluntary donation to continue my important project of countering cosy cartels conniving contrary (to) citizen concerns (CCCCCCC). Rock on brothers (& sisters) - I an seriously serious (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Azatadine wrote: »

Going by the pics on here there looks to be a hell of a lot to be done yet on that bridge. Not to mention all the work finishing and testing a structure like this would need.
    Also Glenmore to Waterford bypass is pie in the sky as there are dozens of schemes more critical that need attention- this was completely upgraded early1990s- some other roads haven’t changed since the 1950s... The N25 in west Waterford and co cork itself being prime examples.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Going by the pics on here there looks to be a hell of a lot to be done yet on that bridge. Not to mention all the work finishing and testing a structure like this would need.
    Also Glenmore to Waterford bypass is pie in the sky as there are dozens of schemes more critical that need attention- this was completely upgraded early1990s- some other roads haven’t changed since the 1950s... The N25 in west Waterford and co cork itself being prime examples.

Glenmore-Waterford is definately on the table now.. being advanced into planning & design in 2019. The rest of the N25 is suspended bar Midleton-Carrigtwohill & Rosslare-Wexford

Advertisement