Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moments you'll never forget

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

The drive home to my parents house after my boyfriend of the time laid his hands on me. Had never been so scared for my life.

Then the look on his face when I returned to pack all my stuff and leave, he begged me to stay and promised he'd never hurt me again. But I just got in the car and left.

Don't know how any woman (or man) could live with domestic abuse. I was lucky enough to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

The first night I ever spent with my OH, we spent hours and hours just sitting on his couch talking, listening to music and watched the sun come up over the river together from the window.

The morning after I found out that I was expecting my daughter, waking up with my OH and not believing it, thinking I was dreaming and eventually having to take another test to convince myself. Him bringing me breakfast in bed and not being able to eat it because I was laughing so hard from him kissing my tummy.

Sitting with my Granny in her living room a couple of days after my Grandad's funeral. The rest of my family had gone back to Dublin but I wanted to stay up with her for a few days to keep her company since most of the visitors were gone. One of the priests came up to see her. Myself and my cousin spent the next few hours in stitches hearing stories about them both back in their earlier years, stories about our parents and other family. We laughed so hard that we were in tears, a combination of the grief and her brilliant way of telling tales. It is still my favourite memory of her, and one that I will always treasure, since she passed away 3 years ago this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Bad times;
    The memory of being 8 or 9 and sitting in the back seat of a person who'd had more than a few drinks. Remembering fearing my life could possibly end any second, I remembered learning in school road safety, and the likes. I can still remember the genuine fear of that car possibly crashing and it all being over in a matter of seconds, and being too afraid to say you shouldn't be driving after having alcohol. I still have the tiniest fear of cars now, for some stupid reason. I will never, ever let anyone into a car and drive with alcohol, even with just one. Maybe I'm too protective...

Another time, about 7, I remember my mam and dad arguing, swearing, my older sisters running out the room, myself and my younger brothers staying, I guess nobody had any sense to make us leave the room. I remember curling up into a ball in an armchair, with my head under a cushion, trying to block it all out. Seeing my mam cry and swear, and nobody would know what to do. This happened a lot...

The shock of walking into the schoolyard on a Wednesday when I was in fifth class, to learn a friend had passed away the evening before. She was only 11...

Remembering a time, the first boyfriend I had ever really loved, he broke my heart. I can still remember exactly how it felt. To have all your hopes shattered in an instant, pretty much a huge part of your life gone missing.
    Remembering said boyfriend, after we broke up, I never really found out exactly what happened. I know a part of the breakup, his parents told him. They pretty much said; "Finish it, it's just too much trouble. She'll hurt you a lot more. She needs help." ... I mean, what's so wrong with being depressed? I could never understand, and still can't, why his parents classed me as different than any other normal girl just because I could get upset. Get sad. Self harm. I still don't get it...

Good times;
    When my younger sister was born, six years ago this Thursday. It still feels crazy. She may possibly be one of the best things that has ever happened to me. :)

When I saw my favourite band in the whole universe, Green Day. 23 June 2010.
    Snow Patrol comes second. :)

When my boyfriend mentioned above, asked me out. It was a cold dark November, I was delighted. Although it did end with me heartbroken, we had some amazing days together. Only 17 and hadn't a real care in the world, well apart from the Leaving Cert., but other than that, nothing. Spend the weekends in the park listening to music, with loads of sweets atleast costing up to 20 euro. In and out of music shops, playing guitar. I was wayyyyy better. :P

My current boyfriend, when he does read this, because I know he will. :) I always say this but, the second time we went on a date (or was it a date? :P ) we had our first kiss on a beach, underneath thousands of stars. And also what was memorable about that was, he said to me moments before our first kiss; I could do anything here, and no one would know.. That's EXACTLY what you want to hear from a potential boyfriend. :D
    Secondly, about my boyfriend, he has absolutely no idea how I feel when I look at him.. :)

I know I've wayyyy more good memories and moments, but that's all that's coming to mind atm. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Lots of moments I'll never forget but the biggest so far is holding my daughter for the first time. It had never really registered with me throughout my pregnancy that I was going to have a real, live baby at the end, but as soon as she was placed in my arms, it felt like she was meant to be there. I didn't have a second of doubt or nerves, I just put her on my chest, skin to skin and said hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

When I was 10 or 11 an older relative of mine took me into a field with a live rabbit. I was delighted with myself, I got to walk the rabbit as if he was on a lead. The relative then let the dog off his lead 'to give it the taste of blood' and I remember looking at the grass trying not to see the dog tear that poor animal apart. I remember the noise it made, like a baby screaming. It was horrible.

Another memory I won't forget is when I was 16 the same relative lost the plot and started screaming and foaming at the mouth saying he would kill my little sister. He was in his 40's. She was 6 and terrified. He threw a knife across the room at us when she ran to me to protect her. I brought her into a bedroom and locked the door. He kicked and punched the door so hard that his fist went straight through it, all the while screaming about how he would break the door down and kill her. This tiny 6 year old shook and roared in my arms and I will never forget feeling like the most disgusting person in the world when I covered her mouth with my hand to try stop her from screaming because it was making him angrier and he was doing a good job of kicking in that door. It took many, many years for me to realise that both of the above were not my fault nor did I have anything to feel guilty about.

My best good memory was freefalling during a skydive. Once I accepted mid air that there was nothing around me, nothing to control, nothing to hold onto, I just inhaled and took it all in. I felt really light. The feeling was amaaaazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Isolt wrote: »
    Another memory I won't forget is when I was 16 the same relative lost the plot and started screaming and foaming at the mouth saying he would kill my little sister. He was in his 40's. She was 6 and terrified. He threw a knife across the room at us when she ran to me to protect her. I brought her into a bedroom and locked the door. He kicked and punched the door so hard that his fist went straight through it, all the while screaming about how he would break the door down and kill her. This tiny 6 year old shook and roared in my arms and I will never forget feeling like the most disgusting person in the world when I covered her mouth with my hand to try stop her from screaming because it was making him angrier and he was doing a good job of kicking in that door. It took many, many years for me to realise that both of the above were not my fault nor did I have anything to feel guilty about.

But.. da what.. don't leave it like that, what happened?!! on edge of seat

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have only one moment to share. My entire life is defined by this one moment. I know it sounds stupid but everything else that had happened to me pales in comparison to this moment and my life since then. I don't know how to tell this story quickly, so I'll just start at the start and see where it takes me.

I was born in 1972. My mother, whoever she was and for whatever reasons, could not keep me. I have spent my life imagining who she was, what she looked like, what kind of a person was she? Did she work? What kind of music does she like? But none of that matters in this story. So I'll just put her aside for now and move on.

I was adopted by John and Aine, a loving couple who could not have children of their own. They are amazing parents and I love them dearly. They showered me with unconditional love and tried their best to teach me right from wrong and how to be a good person. I guess I was always a handful for them, getting into trouble at school and generally being a little disruptive sh1t, but they always stood by me, and always steered me in the right direction. I had everything any kid could ever want, loving parents, good friends and never wanted for toys or the latest gadgets and gizmos. But I was empty. Something was missing, something had always been missing. I am incapable of putting into words this feeling, I felt like I was half a person, half a soul, a pen with no ink, a well with no water. Something was always missing but I did not know what it was.

On my thirteenth birthday my parents explained to me that they had adopted me. Obviously I was shocked, angry, hurt, betrayed and confused, but I thought that maybe it explained the great void deep within me. From that moment on I resolved to find my birth mother and father if possible, and find out who I was. Unfortunately, after going round and round in circles for a couple of years I was informed that my birth mother did not want to have any contact with me. This rejection obviously hurt me deeply, but I tried my best to be understanding. I didn't know the woman's circumstances, I had no right to judge her. So we moved on, my adoptive parents and I, and even though I still felt an almost unbearable pain and loss within me, still, I struggled on.

Flash forward a couple of years later to the day that changed my life. I was at a music festival with three good mates, we were having a great time. Plenty of drink, good music and some flirting with the ladies, what more could a bunch of 21 year old lads want! I'm not sure how to describe this moment because its a bit blurry, even though I've relived it a million times so...... Ok so we had to go somewhere, probably to get drink and we didn't fancy walking the long way so we figured we could jump a fence that was near us and cut across a field and get there quicker. I climbed up first and jumped over. I landed and sprung up to be confronted by myself. I was looking at myself. And myself was looking back. We stared at each other and I could see shock on his face, I imagine he saw shock on mine too. It was me, my mirror image, my hair was about an inch longer, but other than that, everything about us was exactly the same. He reached out a hand and touched my face. Then I just broke down, because I knew, without a shadow of a doubt that I had found what I had always been missing, I had found that missing part of my soul. I had found my twin brother, a brother I never knew existed.

Our story goes from there, but that was the moment. Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

anon4 wrote: »
    I have only one moment to share. My entire life is defined by this one moment. I know it sounds stupid but everything else that had happened to me pales in comparison to this moment and my life since then. I don't know how to tell this story quickly, so I'll just start at the start and see where it takes me.

I was born in 1972. My mother, whoever she was and for whatever reasons, could not keep me. I have spent my life imagining who she was, what she looked like, what kind of a person was she? Did she work? What kind of music does she like? But none of that matters in this story. So I'll just put her aside for now and move on.

I was adopted by John and Aine, a loving couple who could not have children of their own. They are amazing parents and I love them dearly. They showered me with unconditional love and tried their best to teach me right from wrong and how to be a good person. I guess I was always a handful for them, getting into trouble at school and generally being a little disruptive sh1t, but they always stood by me, and always steered me in the right direction. I had everything any kid could ever want, loving parents, good friends and never wanted for toys or the latest gadgets and gizmos. But I was empty. Something was missing, something had always been missing. I am incapable of putting into words this feeling, I felt like I was half a person, half a soul, a pen with no ink, a well with no water. Something was always missing but I did not know what it was.

On my thirteenth birthday my parents explained to me that they had adopted me. Obviously I was shocked, angry, hurt, betrayed and confused, but I thought that maybe it explained the great void deep within me. From that moment on I resolved to find my birth mother and father if possible, and find out who I was. Unfortunately, after going round and round in circles for a couple of years I was informed that my birth mother did not want to have any contact with me. This rejection obviously hurt me deeply, but I tried my best to be understanding. I didn't know the woman's circumstances, I had no right to judge her. So we moved on, my adoptive parents and I, and even though I still felt an almost unbearable pain and loss within me, still, I struggled on.

Flash forward a couple of years later to the day that changed my life. I was at a music festival with three good mates, we were having a great time. Plenty of drink, good music and some flirting with the ladies, what more could a bunch of 21 year old lads want! I'm not sure how to describe this moment because its a bit blurry, even though I've relived it a million times so...... Ok so we had to go somewhere, probably to get drink and we didn't fancy walking the long way so we figured we could jump a fence that was near us and cut across a field and get there quicker. I climbed up first and jumped over. I landed and sprung up to be confronted by myself. I was looking at myself. And myself was looking back. We stared at each other and I could see shock on his face, I imagine he saw shock on mine too. It was me, my mirror image, my hair was about an inch longer, but other than that, everything about us was exactly the same. He reached out a hand and touched my face. Then I just broke down, because I knew, without a shadow of a doubt that I had found what I had always been missing, I had found that missing part of my soul. I had found my twin brother, a brother I never knew existed.

Our story goes from there, but that was the moment. Thanks for reading.
    Wow,would love to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭lilium inter Spinas

I was very close to my younger cousin. We'd grown up together and regarded each other as sisters rather than extended family. A month before her 18th birthday she was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. A battle she lost within five months of the discovery. As you can imagine, it was a devastating blow to the family. And just... to watch someone who was once so bubbly and so full of life begin deteriorate like that, it's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

My grandmother was coming from Mexico to see my cousin before she passed, but had setbacks with her visa causing her to stall. I remember that morning getting up, but it felt like I was dreaming still. You know, that feeling of grogginess when you haven't quite woken up? I was pretty much in that state the whole day, sitting on my bed, praying some miracle would happen and my sis would somehow make it. I was kept out of the loop until my father came home from the airport with grandma. He had bought chicken and handed the bag to me just as grandma disappeared inside the house. I can still smell it, even after all these years. I can still feel the breeze that swept through as he gave me the news, standing outside the porch of my house.
    "Your cousin passed away, I just got the call. I need to go (somewhere) I'll be right back... don't tell your grandmother, just go inside and give her something to eat."

And then I was alone. And I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to curse God and throw myself into a blind fit of rage against humanity. But I had someone to take care of who was waiting for me. I had expectations to go through with. So I swallowed my agony, my pain and did just that. I can't even begin to describe what that was like, but I remember placing a small piece of meat in my mouth as I fed her and thinking, This tastes like Death.
    At my cousin's funeral and the days leading to it, everyone kept telling me "Take care of her sister, take care of ____. She needs you right now." But what about my feelings? Who was going to take care of me? To this day, I still resent that my right to grieve properly was taken from me; that my feelings were set aside for the sake of others. Even though I've fully accepted my cousin's death and now only have warm memories to remember her by... there's still a bitter aftertaste in my mouth when I think about this. And I feel I'll always have that scar that sometimes threatens to open into a fresh wound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 annegreen

I have to say the moment I will never forget is getting photographs of my newborn inside my belly cast two weeks ago. It really registered with me how special and unforgettable these moments are. My belly cast is hanging in my bedroom and I will never forget the pregnancy/newborn experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

-The first time my ex boyfriend hit me, I was so shocked, I felt like I needed to cry but the tears just wouldn't come out. I was only 15. It went on for about a year and a half. He broke up with me the day before my leaving cert started. I'll never forget the devastation that hit me when I opened my results, ugh so awful and I did so well in my mocks.I just sat in the car with my mam crying for about half an hour.

-The time I stayed up all night texting my now boyfriend, I've never smiled so much in one period of time.

-The first time I kissed my now boyfriend, sitting in the computer room in Trinity. One of the best feelings I have ever felt in my entire life.

-The time one of the girls in my boyfriend's college class said that I said something that I didn't. It was just a complete mix up, but what she said about me was so awful. I'll never forget my boyfriend crying in my kitchen about it, it broke my heart to see him cry so much. She had never had a proper conversation with me yet still felt some right to spread untrue crap about me.

-When my mam called to tell me my uncle had died. She didn't want to tell me over the phone but I had lied about where I was so she couldn't get hold of me. I ignored all of her calls and only answered when she called my boyfriend's phone. I knew what happened when I answered and she was crying. I will forever feel guilty for not answering when she called, it was the last thing she needed.

-When I left to go on holidays for 2 weeks, knowing my boyfriend was leaving to go to America for 3 months before I got home. I promised myself I wouldn't cry, yet somehow made my mam cry and my sister cry, while I BAWLED in the taxi on the way to the airport. And all the times I cried myself to sleep while he was gone, because I would've given anything I had to just have him home.

-Almost missing the last tube in London, we had run as fast as we could and just as we got to the platform the doors closed. The worker on the platform got the driver to open the doors again, we wouldn't have gotten home that night if he didn't. Sense of relief was immense.

-The time I got caught in the tube doors. It hurt like absolute crazy,even for days after, and EVERYONE was laughing at me, including my boyfriend. I actually don't think i've been so embarrassed in my life :P But now I have a fear of the doors closing on me again, so won't run for a tube :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

I've quite a lighthearted post as it's something that makes me laugh out loud every time I think of it and hope it makes someone else giggle today ;)

I met a guy over Christmas a few years ago and it was a complete whirlwind romance for a few weeks.. We had been on a few dates already and as it was Christmas in Dublin, I really wanted to go to Funderland (a yearly tradition!;)) so even though it was his probably his worst nightmare, he was so sweet and brought me without any complaints :)

We were on one of the biggest rides there, the kind that goes upside down and around VERY fast, waiting for it to fill up. While we were waiting, he leant over to kiss me and just at that exact moment the safety bars came down and trapped his head out the side!!! :D If the ride had started, he would've, without doubt, broken his neck so I was trying to get an attendants attention but I just could not stop laughing!!:D Luckily, an attendant noticed and came over to open the harness and even he couldn't help but have a giggle ;)
    I'll never forget how absolutely mortified the poor guy was but even if I'm in the worst form, just thinking of that moment will always make me laugh and put a smile back on my face ;)

Advertisement