Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moments you'll never forget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Being abroad for my best friend's wedding and ringing home the day after to hear my lovely Dad had lost his fight with cancer. My best friend travelling home with me for the funeral. A few day's after her wedding and she did that.

My wedding day marrying the man of my dreams.

The day our daughter was born and the midwife laughing as she looked so like her Dad it was uncanny.

Having my best friend as Godmother to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm going anonymous for this, even though no-one would know me from my username anyway. Oh, and I'm a bloke as well.

I remember a bright Tuesday morning in the spring of 1989. You know the kind, sunny but cool and a bit breezy with those typically Irish clouds that scud across the sky. Nice, but it could rain any time.

I'd been in work for about half an hour when the phone on my desk rang. It was ---- well, I can't say who, but she lived two doors up from the house where I grew up, and she'd been my mother's best mate since they were in primary school together. She didn't have my number, what was she doing with my number?

"You have to come home". She sounded numb, in shock, completely flat and monotone but as if she was about to burst into tears.

"What's wrong?" How did she get my number? My mother must have told her. Why did I have to go home?

"I'm sorry. Something happened. You have to come home". She was like a machine, a sad, stunned, shocked machine, like she was programmed to tell me this and couldn't say anything else. I knew her voice as well as anyone's; I'd been listening to her in my house and hers since I was tiny. And her voice just sounded......

I just said "OK" and hung up. I don't even remember if I told my supervisor I had to go, but I legged it anyway for a train. I got myself a seat in a smoking carriage, sat down and lit a cigarette.

Just as the train pulled out, a woman sat in the seat across from me. She said something as she sat down, some remark about just making the train on time. Her accent was American. She was blonde-ish, older than me - I dunno, late 30s or early 40s I'd guess. Anyway, I replied, and we got into a conversation. We talked about politics, mostly - Bush, Reagan, Thatcher, Gorbachev, glasnost, that kind of stuff. She didn't say what she did for a living, but politics interested her. Politics interested me.

It's not a long trip to my home town, less than an hour, but we talked all the way about the troubles of the world, and all the time the question kept going around in circles at the back of my head - what was wrong? As the train slowed down for my station (she was travelling further), she asked me where I was going. I told her I was going home to get some bad news - just like that. She replied "I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope it turns out not too bad. It was good talking with you." At least, that's how I recall it - maybe she said it a little differently.

It's about 20 minutes walk from the station to the house where I grew up. I really wanted to walk, but there were taxis outside and I thought I'd better get one. The driver was in cheerful form, and he asked me where I was headed for on such a lovely day.....

....and then it hit me. I knew. As long as I live I will never know why or how, but I just knew what I was going to hear when I got to my mother's house. They were going to tell me that my sister was dead. I knew it there and then as if I'd already been told. It was already a horrible, rotten, ghastly fact and there was nothing I could do to stop it being true.

I don't know what I must have looked like, but the taxi driver just quietly asked me to tell him where we were going. And in a blur, I was getting out of the car at the gate of my mother's house, my house, the house where I grew up, the house I'd left eight years before. It was so weird, the key was in the front door, but it was really quiet. I let myself in, not a sound in the place, and walked into the living room.

There she was, my mother, I can't even begin to describe the pain and torment in her face, and sitting beside her was her best mate. And then my mother told me my sister had died. In her sleep, with no apparent reason - 22 years later, we still don't know why it happened. She was only 26 years old.

Everything that happened afterwards is fresh in my mind like it happened last week - but were I to tell it in detail I'd be writing for hours. All I know is that I never stopped moving and did everything I had to do and everything I needed to do that day - but then I stopped because I had to get the last train home. Not the home I grew up in, but the home I shared with my partner (she still is, miraculously I think sometimes). I had to get back to the southside of Dublin, and home.

I got on the train - and there she was. I recognised her straight away, and sat down across from her. The first thing she said was "How bad was your news?", and I told her. For the rest of the train trip, I described my day, and she listened. I don't know, all I can say is that I needed to talk to someone who didn't know and didn't care about my sister or my family. I needed a stranger to listen, and she did.

I never even found out her name. We didn't introduce ourselves, and when the train got to Dublin we said goodbye, she went off to her hotel and I went for my bus.

That, in a nutshell, was the day my little sister passed away. She's on my mind because it's her birthday soon. She's on my mind a lot, TBH, always has been. I miss her.

And sometimes when I remember that awful day I think of that American lady as well. She helped me keep my sanity that day, just by being in the right place at the right time. I hope she's OK.

Sorry for going on so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

This is a wonderful thread! I haven't caught up with everyones special moments, but intend to read all 13 pages...

My memorable moments pale in significance to all of yours... I remember only a few happy moments, a few too many sad ones, but the one I fixate on the most is the moment I met the love of my life.

A teacher introduced me to a new member of class, and as I turned around, I instantly recognized him - my best friend, the face I had known and loved forever, before meeting that day. My knees went weak. He reached out to shake my hand and when we touched, an electric shock made me shiver and pull away.

I haven't a clue about how life works, but I tend to agree with Shakespeare: ..."there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy..."

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Finding out my cousin had killed himself
    I was in my Leaving Cert year and it was the start of April so coming close to exams, music practicals, orals etc were on that week. I was doing after school study so stayed in school until 6. Got into the car to go home and remembered thinking it was strange that both my parents were in the car, usually it was just my Dad who collected me on the way home from work. Then I saw my Mam's face and I knew that something bad had happened. I asked what was wrong (with everything running through my head, first thoughts being it was one of my grandparents) when she said my cousin was dead, it was the end of the world, and somehow i managed to get the words out of my mouth "how" - when she told me he had been found hanging, I could not believe it, I've never been so shocked in all my life, there had been no warning- it was complete devastation - not just for me but for my whole family. Would probably call it the most devastating moment of my whole life.

Getting my leaving cert results
    After my cousin's funeral there wasn't much time before my exams started. It all went in a daze and I wasn't optimistic about the results as I hadn't been eating or sleeping. My parents had said not to worry that I could repeat and that they were proud of me for just sitting the exams 4 weeks after my cousin died. I walked into the principals office to get the envelope with my results in it with my best friend. My principal handed me the envelope and gave me a hug and said congratulations, you've done really well. Well that was it - I bawled my eyes out and couldn't open them. Out of concern, people went running for my mam (who was waiting outside in the car). She opened it and after doing the calculations, we realised that I had gotten more than enough points for my first choice course. Was still crying walking back out and met another girl who hadn' got her results yet, she looked alarmed and asked me what was wrong and I said "I got my points" and the 2 of us just bawled and then laughed and jumped around in the middle of the school's front office with parents and pupils everywhere. Think it was the first time since my cousin died that I allowed myself to be happy.

Saying goodbye to my nanny when I was leaving for Australia
    It was the only goodbye where I cried because we both knew it could be the last time we would see each other as I didn't plan on returning for a while. I tried to hide the fact that I was crying but soon enough we were both crying and hugging as if it was the last time we would see each other. It broke my heart but knew I was doing the right thing.

Seeing my boyfriend for the first time in a year at Sydney airport
    Had just got off a plane having flown for 22 hours so wasn't looking too hot/was nervous/apprehensive/scared/excited as it had been a full year since he had left. He was in arrivals waiting for me. My decision to emigrate hadn't been an easy one, I was going against my parent's wishes at the time/left before my graduation for my degree etc. But the minute I saw him I knew everything was going to be ok.

Christmas Day 2010 on the beach
    After being homesick and miserable last Christmas (first away from home), this year was at the opposite end of the spectrum. Was blessed with fabolous weather and good friends. We hadn't planned much but it turned into such a good week where we had bbq's, parties, went to the races, and the beach and festivals. My parents also broke 24 years of tradition and let the "Santa" presents be opened on Christmas eve while we were all doing Skype so that it was like I was in the room with them. Wasn't one tear. Big difference to the year before where I had cried like an ass doing Skype. Probably the first time I felt like I could actually make a proper go of it at a life here.

Thanks everyone for their contributions. Has been an emotional read (good and bad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'll never forget waking up after I thought it would be over.

April fools, 1st April, 2008.

Six weeks before my finals and I cracked up. I lost the plot. All of the bad things in my life were right on my mind and I couldn't do it.

I'd been to the doctor with a very bad chest infection and he gave me antibiotics, a cough bottle and some sleeping tablets. I felt my body was failing me. Nothing was going right. I felt so low. I had a temperature and aches and pains, so I was taking paracetamol and neurofen. I had hayfever so I was taking anti-histamines.

I swallowed a massive handful of all of the pills. And I cut myself badly.

I didn't want to wake up.

But I did, and in time to realise that I'd f**ked up. I made myself sick and the next day I went back to my counsellor, handed over all of the tablets, my penknife and everything I'd ever used to hurt myself, and said "I'm done. I want to be fixed" and that's what we did.

3 years on and no cuts, no really bad times. I got help and I was fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

My daughters birth - Even though I had her by emergency caesarian, I was absolutely thrilled and so lucky to have her. I can recall all the the things that had happened to me during my pregnancy, and now, years later, when I see her smiling face everyday, I am so proud of her and thank God that she is the person she is and for bringing her into my life :)

Losing my boyfriend - Oh this was about the worst thing to have happened to me. It was devastating. We had been together 6 years and we had been through ups and downs as most couples do. I loved him very deeply and I thought he felt the same about me. We did get to see each other so little but always kept up the chatting on the phone, online, webcam etc ( he lives in England ) but things started to get messy and he decided to call it quits on us. I did everything one is supposed not too and rang him and text him, I wanted to talk with him and maybe work something out, but he was having none of it and it took him about 2 months to find someone else but it lasted only a couple of months. I was so upset, I could hardly work and everything just seemed to stop around me. We are friends today and we do chat everyday now, but nothing is the same. I still feel the loss of him. I really believed I had found in him the man I wanted to be with for the rest of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

This is such a lovely thread. Haven't read all of it yet but I intend to. I tried to think of some memorable moments but they were all sad and depressing and I'm not in the right mindset to relive them right now. The only happy one I thought of wasn't very interesting so I'm going with a funny one. Well I find it funny, others may disagree. :P

I was at my friend's house New Years eve. Was just him, three other friends (one of which is my best friend and his girlfriend) and his cousin. We were all a bit drunk and just messing around, listening to music and watching tv and stuff. The couple (I have a feeling they wouldn't be very happy if I posted their names online) went upstairs to 'play darts'. A while later I saw my friend's cousin sneaking upstairs to the room. I made him come back downstairs....and handed him a party popper. The two of us sneaked back upstairs, burst into the room, yelled surprise and pulled the party poppers, showering them in streamers before running off and purposely leaving the door open. Yeah it was pretty evil but we were drunk so we thought it was hilarious. Actually I still find it hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

The one thing that really stays with me is when I was 13 and my older sister was terminally ill. She had cancer and it had spread when she was pregnant so she refused treatment in the hope that it would save her baby.

We were both in the kitchen of her house and she was told she only had a few weeks to live. She had been getting weaker as the time went on and the pregnancy was taking it's toll on her as well. She bent down to the washing machine and couldnt get back up again without help. She called me over and asked me to pull her up and held out her hands, but I went behind her and put my hands under her arms. She cried out in pain because she had lesions all over her body at this stage and I was hurting her by lifting her under her arms.

She got angry with herself then as she had been trying to hide just how bad she was. I tried to make conversation about her older sons birthday and she snapped that she didn't think she would be around to see it. It was only then I realised just how bad she really was. She had been putting on a very brave face and was determined to carry her baby as long as she could.

My sister went into labour when she was 28 weeks pregnant. She gave birth to a little girl who weighed 2lb when she was born and battled like hell for the first few weeks of her life. She had a brain heamorrage and her lungs collapsed. We were told to not get our hopes up (this was in the late 80s) and not to even buy her any presents. But she inherited my sisters fighting spirit and came through everything.

My sister died 35 days after her daughter was born. 5 weeks before she was due to be born. She died in the knowledge that she had given her little girl a life and would be so proud if she were here today to see her.

- The day my first love told me over the phone that he loved me, the only reply I could manage was 'huh?'

- A few weeks before starting secondary school my dad took me out for a day, bought me anything I wanted, I should have been really suspicious at this point because he's quite tight, he then told me he had something to tell me - I had 3 other siblings and my 'niece' would be starting the same secondary school as me.

-When I realised I actually had real friends - it was a simple comment my friend made to me about being 'Aunty B' to her future kids, but it always sticks out in my mind.

- When my grand uncle who is more like a grandfather to me and one of my best friends was in a coma. I was making my communion when he was still in a coma, my mum was visiting him in intensive care, I wasn't allowed to as I was too young. Years later she told me she was speaking to him and told him to wake up or he'd miss my communion, she said his eyes flickered when she mentioned my name, I'll never forget her telling me that.

- When I realised a guy who I had really fallen hard for wasn't the person he was making himself out to be and that he was trying to manipulate me, my heart is still sore when I think of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭mitsuko045

- The night/morning my gran died. Was the first person close to me who passed away, found out just after school finished and then spent nearly the rest of the night by her bed till she passed.

- The phone call from my parents telling me they were splitting up and to come home that weekend

- That weekend where we were all sat on the sofa in the living room,not quite knowing what to say.

- Meeting my feller, having a kick ass fun night and remembering what it's like to really like someone and have them like me back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It didn't happen in one particular moment, but recovering about 90% from ME. It took about 7 or 8 years and I honestly believed it would never happen. I thought I'd never be better. It really hit me the other night. I was at a ceili and danced for about three hours solid. I just started thinking back and realised that a few years ago I wouldn't have been able to dance for 3 minutes (and that's no exaggeration) I just started crying thinking about it, but they were happy tears. I was tired afterwards, but pretty much normal tired, not ME tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Bad times
    A few years ago my brother was diagnosed with cancer and supposedly had days left to live, I rushed over to be there for my folks as I knew this would be hard on them but also because I wanted to see him die. It sounds odd I know, but he sexually abused me as a child and tried to rape me as a teenager and I've had to grit my teeth all these years, what he did shaped my life for a very long time
    I know exactly how you feel

bad times

Feeling dirty after the countless nights I lay there wishing it would just end.
    My mother not believing me when I told her what had been happening.

Complete strangers coming to my door telling me my brother(the good one) was being rushed by ambulance to hospital after being in a ditch for 18 hours. I dread to think what I would be saying now if the kid who found him kept at his parents as they thought he was joking, just left him.

The inadequate feeling when friends talk about how close they are to their mothers, I on the other hand, don't get along with mine :(

my best friend moving to lanzarote, miss her loads.

the lonely feeling when you realise you've got nothing to offer people.

good times

Youghal beach...my dad taking me by the hands and swinging me around in the water, I nearly choked from laughing so hard.

the sandcastles, sandy ice creams, trips to perks :) what I wouldnt give to go back again.
    The spins with my dad to Crosshaven, youghal garryvoe as kids.

the countless christmas mornings where I'd wake up at the crack of dawn where we'd get only a small amount but we were happy.

the holiday to lanzarote when I was 16 :) with my bestest friend in the world.
    The trips to kilkenny to see my then boyfriend, I actually miss him :(

The time my first boyfriend introduced me to his friends(big deal) I was so happy then.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

Meeting a man who I thought was the most amazing and fantastic person in world. Loving every minute we spent together, falling hopelessly in love with him, him telling me he loved me. Think.. this is what happy ever after really is, this is my forever ever.
    3 years later that same man telling me he had been seeing another man for 6 months, shattered my world, my life, my existence. Thinking I knew someone so well, loved him so completely only to realise I really don't know him at all. Hurt and damage I don't think I will ever recover from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

The day I found out my brother broke his neck and would be paralysed for the rest of his life. We all just sat there crying and not saying a word. That day completely changed the course of our lives.

The day my parents told me they were splitting up. I was 13 and was roaring crying. All I remember is my mam telling me to shut up and get myself together, and my dad hugging me and comforting me and letting me cry. That day shaped the rest of my teens. I wish it didn't, because I regret it now, but I had such resentment for my mam after that day.

When my boyfriend told me he loves me. We were just lying there, and he kinda took a deep breath. I knew it was coming, but when he said I swear my heart stopped. I've never felt anything like it. It was pure bliss in that moment.

Passing my driving test first time. I was completely expecting that to just be my first attempt of many. The examiner didn't even say anything, just took out the little book of certificates of competency and smiled and handed it over. Great feeling!

Getting accepted for an internship in a huge company, and the relief of knowing what I'm doing with my life for the next 5 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

St. Patrick's Day :D Such a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

My first serious boyfriend telling me he was breaking up with me, still get tears now in my eyes thinking about it, it felt so unreal when he said it that i didnt actually believe it there and then. :(
    i remember bursting into tears and thinking "but he said wed be together forever, he was really in love with me etc etc" and all the really nice sweet, and supposdly true to me, things he had said over the 3 and a bit years were swirling round my head, its definitly a time of utter sadness and disbelief for me more than ive ever experienced.
    yes i was very naive i know :rolleyes:

the months and months of verbal abuse via texting/fb/mail etc that followed, for no reason whatsoever tbh, and finding out things that were said and done behind my back before too :mad:

2007 - getting with said ex first though and the whole 3 and a bit years that followed were the best and most magical feeling best times ive ever had, and wont ever forget either, still is the love of my life tbh :)
    first and only time i literally spent 3 0r 4 days and nights in a row in bed with someone :);)

2005 - My graduation from school, my mam said i had the biggest smile on my face all that day, and then that night too before heading out, i was just so thrilled to be finally finishing school! and ive never looked back tbh, life gets so much better after school :D

2002/2003/2004 - my last few summers spent living in the place i love, and grew up in, days and nights out with my best friend, gigs, general hanging out, new experiences etc, nothing major happened really tbh, they were just very innocent mad fun times in different ways :)

first time getting into an 18s movie, i was 16 and my mate was 15 and we never could get into them, it was Halloween Ressurection and we just got to the cash desk in the cinema, she asked how old we were and we both said "18" in unison :rolleyes:
    she just laughed and said go on :o looking back its amazing the fuss that was made over something like that!

graduating from college and bringing my OH then, having both my dad and the OH there talking etc, and telling my dad that he was my boyfriend and all.
    it probably sounds wierd, but tbh it was a HUGE thing for me, and i only introduced him to my dad because i was so in love with him, twas my first relationship and well i thought i was forever, and was told same :rolleyes:

Xmas 07, i dont know why exactly, but it just felt great :)

last december, going to see Scrooged for the first time ever, was feeling all :( and not very xmassy tbh which is wierd for me since ive always loved xmas, went xmas shopping then went there with a few mates. i just needed that movie there and then tbh, whenever i see it from now on itll always put a smile on my face.
    sounds a bit silly but true

cant think of anymore, yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

I was thinking of this thread the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

another good time.....
    my daddy doing a charlie chaplain impression with my moms walking stick:D

Decided to go anonymous as some people might not want their moments blasted over the interwebs...

1) The moment my best friend told me she had cancer. I hardly remember what was said, just listening to the sound of her voice and saying to myself 'don't cry, don't cry'. We both cried. It broke my heart and it still does that this is happening to her.

2) The moment I met my Father for the first time. I was 13 and the weight and sense of expectation was overwhelming. I remember that day so clearly, the smell of Bewleys Newlands Cross, the feel of my Mum's hand in mine, the smell of his skin when he hugged me for the first time and the sense of optimism.

3) The moment the letter to my Father went into the postbox. It was a letter asking him not to contact me after years of pain and sadness I finally bit the bullet and asked him to give me time to heal. Whenever I think 'I can't do something' I think of that moment.

4) The day I collected my scroll declaring that I had my masters. Being able to look out at my OH and my Mother after months of hard work (with their help and support) it was my greatest achievement.

5) The first time I saw my OH. I didn't realised that the bearded man in baggy jeans would become the love of my life. It's fun to remember the curve balls life throws you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

- The first kiss with my OH. It was perfect. Until I started laughing at Futurama that was on the tv in the background, but that made it more perfect :)

- The day I rescued a little pup who became my companion and now never leaves my side.

- Finding out my sister nearly died giving birth to my nephew. The world just stopped moving when I was told. I'm so thankful every day her heart started beating again.

- Finding out the person responsible for a horrible murder and attack in my town was also a friend of mine and that he'd killed himself right after.

- Packing for holidays and hearing my dad answer the phone downstairs and start crying. My grandfather had passed away.

- The day my OH called me in work to tell me his Dad had been given the all clear from cancer (after we'd been told he only had months left).

- My Dad telling me he was going to stop working in Russia and come back home because he didn't want to miss me growing up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jellygems

moments ill never forget

on my 7th birthday waiting for my dad to arrive, hadnt seen him in months... i stood at that window all day long, afraid id miss him... i didnt see him for another 14 years after that

finding out i was pregnant with my son, who seemed to heal me :)

i will never forget the night my ex husband beating me so bad i ended up in hospital... he took a knife to me i thought for sure this is it.... i kept thinking i just hope my son doesnt see me on the floor....

getting the strenght to leave my ex husband the day after said night above, that took alot !

when i got the call last week to find out you were dead, still shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Giving birth to my Daughter, amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

BOD's intercept try at the 09 Heineken Cup semi final. I never screamed so much in my life.

Meeting STBEH at the airport the morning of the final - he literally flew back in from Chad, changed out of his uniform and we went to the gate for our flight to Edinburgh. Bawled my eyes out when Leinster won.

Have loads more, but they're too soppy for my current state of mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Loving all the replies! I have lots of good memories such as
    • meeting my one and only love
    • giving birth to 2 healthy sons
    • when my lil sis was born xx
    Unfortunately my life has/is marred by constant suicidal thoughts and all my attempts such as standing on top of a car park, attempted hangings, overdoses and gassings overtake all the good times.
    PS, Im just being honest and not looking for any comments etc on my post, I just see that some people have experienced someone they care about committing suicide and telling you that I see where the suicidal person is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I did post in this thread over a year ago but I've got some stuff to add, the majority are more than likely about my boyfriend. :)

Seeing my boyfriend for only the second time ever:

It's something I'll never forget. We weren't actually together officially even though we'd been texting/chatting on MSN/chatting on Facebook for a couple of months so we sort of knew there was something between us.

I was waiting outside the train station shaking with nerves. I'll never forget seeing him walk down the steps because I hadn't realised how tall he was. He walked over and kissed me on the cheek and put his arm around me right away. He didn't seem nervous at all. A few months later he told me he was shaking with nerves just like I was.

We just walked around the town talking and getting to know each other more. The feeling each time he took my hand or put his arm around me was amazing, gave me goosebumps and it still does.

I ended up showing him around and showing him my old school. I remember beforehand telling him that I'd been teased a little while I was there. Nothing major but it really hurt me. At this point he had his arms around my waist and my hands were resting on his chest. I just looked up at him and he leaned down and just kissed me really softly on the lips, no tongue at first. As it got a bit more passionate, he slid his hands around me pulling me closer and I put my arms around his neck. I was on my tippy toes the whole time because he's so tall and I'm tiny but I really didn't care. It seemed like we were kissing forever but it was perfect. Reading back on that makes it seem really cheesy but that's what it was, perfect. Later the same day we had a "push me up against the wall and kiss me like you mean it" kiss that made me go weak at the knees.

Seems like the whole day flew by, I didn't want him to leave. We went to the train station and I just sat on his knee in the waiting room hoping that the train would be late or that it wouldn't come.

Losing my virginity to him:

I know it's probably TMI or whatever but the reason it was so memorable is because I was 22 so I was a little bit older than most people. I couldn't have asked for better really. Because he was so great about it being my first time, asking if I was okay etc, that day I realised I loved him. I knew I did beforehand but that day just made me love him even more.

Don't exactly know when it was but I do know we were only together a short while. One time we were just sitting down talking and we had one of those silences. He just looked and me, then pulled me close to him and said "I love you, Jane." and just held me fore ages. I know it's nothing spectacular but it's something that makes me smile and feel all fuzzy just thinking about it.

One time I met him at the cinema and I remember he got a phone call saying his gran wasn't too well. I'll never forget the look on his face, he just looked so scared and worried. I just couldn't figure out what to say so I just hugged him.

After that his gran was sick for a while and was getting worse. Then one night I got a text from, I think it was around 2am, saying that she had passed away. I just remember my heart sinking for him. I never met his gran unfortunately but I felt sad for him because he was so close to her. I didn't go to the funeral, he said he was okay and I'd probably just be sitting there on my own because he had so much to do and there were relatives home from England. But I still really regret not going because I feel like I let him down and I wasn't there for him. I never told him that.

The first time I brought him to stay at my house and the first time he met my family:

This was in June of last year. I was really nervous. Turns out I had no reason to be though. He gets along so well with my family, especially my brother thankfully.

My birthday:

He came down for my birthday last year and I was so excited. Him, me, my brother and some of our friends just hung out at my house. It was nothing huge but I just remember sitting there thinking "I'm so happy right now, everyone I love is in the same room." Same night I drank shots of Jack Daniels. Not a good idea. It was so much fun. I did reveal the fact that I have a "dirty playlist" on my mp3 player though and didn't remember until a couple of days later. :o

My gran's 90th birthday:

The whole family got together and went to her house and we had a bit of a party. We were lucky though, we got her on a very good day which was rare. She has Alzheimer's so she doesn't always know who we are etc. She didn't know some of us that day too but she was in great form so it didn't bother her. She sang songs for us and played music. I took lots of videos and photos of her. The day was bittersweet in a way because by the time her next birthday comes around it's likely that she'll know very very little.

Me and my brother getting tattooed the same day:

My tattoo is a tribute to my gran. It's a butterfly with 4 flowers around it. (There is a pic in the Tattoos & Piercings forum). The flowers are just to make it flow better but there's a story behind the butterfly. One of my earliest memories is my gran taking me on walks near her house and chasing butterflies to keep me amused so I decided a butterfly might be nice. I had been thinking about it for a while and I'm so glad I got it. My brother got some stars done on his arm. He does have a reason behind his too but I don't actually know what it is. It was a nice experience though. He was there when I got mine done and vice versa. :)

My first two gerbils dying:

I should clarify, they were the first two I got but the last to actually pass away. It's not actually that long ago. I remember it more than the other gerbils because it was such a shock. I woke up one morning and I knew something wasn't right. They were in separate cages and neither of them were moving much and they were really cold. The one that was originally my brother's died first really peacefully that day. Unfortunately the other wasn't so lucky. He has about 10-15 seizures or fits before he died. It was a horrible, horrible thing to watch and I cried so much. I stayed up and held him in my hands until he eventually gave up fighting, poor little guy. :(

Seeing Noel Gallagher with my 'little' brother last month:

I wasn't a huge fan I will admit but my brother needed someone to go with him because he was on crutches after fracturing his fibula. The look on his face for the entire concert was priceless, he was so happy. I was so happy I got to go with him. I did actually enjoy the concert a lot more that anticipated, I'm definitely a fan now!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Lying in a hospital in Loughrea with a broken and dislocated ankle. A surgeon comes in in the middle of the night and says:"well young lady(ahum) before we can operate on the fracture we first have to correct the dislocation otherwise you will get blisters and we don't want that." He injects me with morfine, grabs my ankle and gives a good yank to the left. I can tell you that morfine didn't help ****!

Getting accepted into my current college course, I've been waiting so loong to get in!

Dealing with two unwanted pregnancies(don't mention it) the confusion, sadness, severe morning sickness to the point of being hospitalized, the guilt and anger are edged in my mind forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

My father's heart attacks and subsequent surgeries:
    My father had four heart attacks over the course of my teenage years, and underwent a quadruple heart by-pass. He still has health problems to this day, but I remember those years (from about the age of 11 to 16) as being probably the hardest in my life thus far. There were moments when we really all thought he would die (after the first heart attack, the doctors gave him six months), and it was my first proper confrontation with death, and it was right on my doorstep. It was the first time that the realisation that your parents are not immortal first hit me. I developed depression during those years, and had serious problems with anger and not being able to express it. Hardest years of my life, and not the typical "difficult teenage years".

Meeting my uncle for the first time and his death shortly after:
    I'd never properly been introduced to my uncles and aunts on my father's side of the family after a falling out, but when I was in Leaving Cert (so, about 18 years old), I made the journey to Belfast to meet my uncle. He told me practically his whole life story over tea and biscuits. He was a prominent member of the IRA from the late 60s to the 80s, and actually hearing from him the reasons why he joined in the first place (reasons that were actually quite noble) really gave me an entirely new perspective on my own identity, where I come from and what amazing and turbulent times my family have been a part of. I live in a generation where it's almost shameful to admit that you've any ties to what has happened in Nothern Ireland over the years, but that meeting with my uncle really opened my eyes and instilled in me a sense of who I am, and what I'm part of, and I'll never be ashamed of it.
    Very shortly thereafter he died, and his wake was another great moment - drinking, singing and reminiscing; meeting cousins I never knew I had, and hearing old stories about our family that go way back to 1916, the War of Independence and the Civil War. That year was a milestone for me, in terms of figuring out who I am.

The first time I saw Arcade Fire:
    I love music, and they're probably my favourite band. My mother bought me a ticket when I was 17 to see them in the Phoenix Park with my brother and his then girlfriend, and it was just such a great moment. I've never enjoyed a gig so much. It might not seem like such a momentous moment, but for some reason it really sticks with me. I remember everything about it so vividly, and I actually don't think I'll ever forget it. I still have the ticket stuck on my bedroom wall in my parents house.

I have many more experiences to come, I'm sure. I'm going to the US this month to meet more family members I've never met before, so more important moments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I will never forget when my OH called me up to ask me out on a date.

We had met at a party on a Friday night, hit it off and he took my number. Fast forward to WEDNESDAY and I was so disappointed he didn't call that I actually left a night out early and headed home on the train. My phone rang when I was on the train and sure it was himself, he wanted to meet me at the weekend. I can't remember what I said but I must have been blushing and stammering and incredibly obvious, because when I hung up the phone the woman sitting across from me gave me the thumbs up! Haha! I will never forget that woman and how happy I was.

(PS Almost 5 years together now! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

kingtut wrote: »
    Finding out that one my exs who told me she was dying of leukemia actually made it up so that she could get out of being my boyfriend (and get back with her ex who she was apparently on a break from while she was with me) :mad:

Sorry Kingtut had to read your post three times before i copped on to what she done.What a cow thats some sick sh1t and you were better off without her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

• Getting my leaving cert results and finding out I passed maths!
    • Finding out my sister is expecting twins!
    • Meeting my niece for ther first time after my brother and his wife moved home after living abroad for 7/8 years
    • Getting accepted into college
    • Making lifelong friends at college
    • First time driving with Dad

Some other moments I'll never forget are a bit personal to post! :o

Advertisement