Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moments you'll never forget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

This is hands down one of the best threads I have ever seen on boards.
    Kudos OP :)

My mams anaphylaxis will stay etched in my brain for my entire life.
    I was working shift work at the time, and it was a slow day in work, so the boss offered to let a few of us go home if we wanted. I needed the hours, and normally would have stayed, but something told me to go home so I did.

My mam was making dinner when I got in, so I grabbed some and went to eat in my room and watch TV.
    She had never been allergic to anything before, so when she called me a few minutes later saying she felt unwell, I just thought she was getting the flu or something. I brought her to bed and got her a wet flannel and told her to lie down for a bit.
    I went back downstairs to my room, but felt uneasy, so popped back up a minute or two later to check on her. When I got there her hands looked red and swollen and I knew something wasn't right.
    My mam, being a nurse and thinking she knows it all when it comes to anything medical ;) told me she was fine, and told me not to call an ambulance (shouldn't have listened to her in hindsight!), but maybe I should get my neighbour, who was also a nurse.
    I sprinted across the road and got my neighbour, and by the time we got back to the house, my mam was in serious trouble. Her whole throat/ face had swollen and she was having trouble breathing. No time for an ambulance, so I threw her in the car with my neighbour (I didn't drive at the time) and they raced off to the hospital, which luckily was only minutes away.

I was in proper survival mode, so once she was off, I packed a bag to bring to her, shut all the doors and windows to lock up, and then rang my dad. I had been running on adreneline up until then, but the moment I heard his voice everything stopped and I just wailed down the phone!
    Not driving at the time, I had no choice but to get to the hospital on foot. My sister was in work in the local shopping centre at the time, and I couldn't get her by phone, so I said I would go and get her first, and then meet my dad at the hospital.
    Ran into my sisters work looking like a banshee, grabbed her and ran.
    When we got there, they told us she had had an extreme allergic reaction to something. It was so bad that they had had to knock her out and intubate her to get oxygen into her lungs. If she had gotten there any later, she wouldn't have made it.
    She was asleep, and stable so we went home and got some sleep before going to see her the next day.
    The next morning she was weak, but awake. I walked up to her and took her hand, and although she could barely speak, the first thing she said was that she was sorry for scaring me, and that she should have just let me phone the ambulance. I cried like a baby.
    Her body had taken a serious beating, and they needed to run a lot of tests, so she was in hospital for a good 2 weeks afterwards.
    Turns out she had reacted to the neurofen she had taken moments before I arrived home. She had taken neurofen all her life with no issue, but somehow developed an allergy to the ibuprofen all of a sudden.

The 15 or so minutes between sending her off and arriving in the hospital and being told that she was going to be ok we're the most horrific minutes of my life. I genuinely though I had lost her that day...I shudder to think what might have happened had I not gone home early from work...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

When I started typing I had about four moments however once I started ……..

The bad

Mother’s alcoholism
    Far too many to mention but all the shouting arguments constant put down’s etc. coming home to find your mother sitting in a chair passed out or having to listen to her ramble on and not make any sense. She forced me to grow up a lot earlier than I needed to as I had to take on a lot of responsibility. But if it wasn’t for all of that I wouldn’t be who I am today

Brother hitting me
    He wanted a fiver I said no and he flipped, and punched me. Even after I told him that I had forgiven him it took him ages to be able to look me in the eye. The worst part of this is that when I told my mother she said I deserved it.

Having money stolen
    Had worked my ass off and had saved up nearly 3 grand. My mother’s name was also on the account and I didn’t realise she also had a card for it. It wasn’t until I found one of my bank statements that she had been hiding that I realised she left me with 15 euro. When I realised I got a horrible sinking feeling because I knew she had taken it and I knew I was never going to see it again. This was the moment I had lost all trust in her. Six months later still haven’t got a penny off her.

Sixth year grad mass
    My dad was working and couldn’t go but he made my mother promise to be there. I was at the church for most of the day as I was involved in setting it up. All she had to do was turn up at the church and pose for a few photos. After the mass I went around the church to look for her as I was sitting at the front with all my class mates. When I realised she wasn’t there I never felt so hurt and alone. However my friends mam who is like a mam to me saw my face and knew happened and gave me a big hug.

Leaving cert results
    Even though I had done really well it wasn’t enough to get into my first choice. At the time I felt the world was going to end. Now I’m glad I didn’t get my first choice as I’m really happy with where I ended up.
    Gran dying She was the first person who was close to me to die and I will never forget the moment my dad told me.

Brothers car crash
    When I found out he was in hospital after having a crash and seeing the look on his face when he woke and I had to tell him that his friend who was in the car with him had died.

The good

Seeing my dad cry
    I bet wondering why this is a good thing. Well the first and only time I have seen my dad cry was after my gran died. This was the first time I think I have ever been speechless so I just gave him a hug. He then whispered into my ear “I love you so much “. Before that my dad had never given me a hug or told me he loved me. Obviously I knew he did, but he’s just not that kind of dad.

My 18th birthday
    My birthday is on New year’s Eve and about ten minuets’ before midnight my best friend who I had fancied for ages told me that he fancied me too. Cue the best New Year’s kiss ever. Even though we are not together any more we are still best friends and I would be lost without him.

Last summer
    I realised a lot last summer and without getting too deep I kind of figured out who I am and what I’m about. I don’t know it’s hard to describe but I just feel a lot more content I also realised that I can’t change who my mother is or what she has done in the past and I can’t help her if she doesn’t want to be helped. We will never have a close relationship and I will never “ love” her and I’m ok with that but she is my mother and I will always be there for her if she needed me.

From reading this thread I can see that we all have ups and downs in our lives but you have to take a bit of rough to be able to appreciate the smooth.

heavy rain wrote: »
    Going anon for this. Thought I'd spill my guts about growing up with an alcoholic mother. A good few scarred for life moments. As a child I obviously wasn't allowed to talk about this and we were nearly put into care before. My poor dad tried so hard... Only my boyf knows this stuff and I only told him when I like 22.

My mam deciding to drunk drive to the office in town where she worked (family run) A beat up old ford fiesta, it must have been in '88 because I was about 4. I remember driving through (what I know now was) Ballsbridge and being sick with nerves because I didn't know where I was and I knew something wasn't right and that we'd probably crash.

Another time she drunkenly tried to give a lift home to a kid that had called down to spend the day. She stopped at lights and didn't put on handbrake or something and the car rolled back a little down main street and bumped another car and driver came up and asked if everything was alright and she was all waffly and tipsy. Mortified.

I had an old double bed out in my room when my little brother moved rooms, because I was 11 then and needed privacy. My mam would get blind drunk, shout all night, get into blazing rows with my dad (and he'd be so frustrated he might give her a slap and drag her upstairs to bed) She was so belligerent and demanding. Sometimes she'd come in then and say how much she loved me and cry stupid drunk tears and reek of vodka, then climb into my bed to sleep beside me. Wake up the next morning to find she'd pissed in my bed.

One time she was in the landing in her silk pyjama top, no bottoms at all and propping her self against the wall and started threatening to burn the house down and I remember pleading with her and crying and panicking to just please please please don't burn the house down. My dad came running up then and diffused it. Read her the riot act. I've never forgotten that feeling.

Another time, she hallucinated about winged horsemen coming and flying in the room and calling for her brother that had died in a motorcycle accident when he was in college.

She smacked me in the face before. I think I smacked her back.

I used to sneak downstairs, (Dad worked night shift) and watch inappropriate stuff like Freddy Kreuger, Candyman, IT the Clown, Carrie.... late at night. This really scared me. One night I was gonna go check that the latch was on the door before I went to bed. I was too scared to go down the hall because it was so dark (I was 7). Mam was drunk in bed. My Dad came home at 6am to find the front door wide open, house burgled and TV gone. Dad was so pissed off. I genuinely thought it was my fault.

My Dad is really controlled and doesn't drink due to my Mam. When I was about 6 my Dad said he was going out and we asked where and he said real casual like; "I'm going to the pub. I'm gonna go get drunk" and we kids just started begging him not to and crying and pushing him backwards to prevent him leaving. He told me later that he half wanted to know out reaction but never thought it's be so bad and he's regretted it so much since. I remember being so scared by that I'm on the verge of tears now.

One day we were out playing. I was in second class, we got locked out. Dad wouldn't be home for another 2 hours. We ended up calling our friends around the corner that I was in school with. I said "My Mam is drunk, we're locked out can we stay here til Dad gets back". The Mother cooked us fried egg and chips and even asked how we liked out egg to be cooked. It was a functional family. She walked us back over then and my Dad had been freaking out because he didn't know where we were.

That incident led to my dad getting tipped off that social services had been called. He called them first to say he couldn't cope just to ease the blow that he knew would come. My Mam had to go to rehab. For that couple of months the house was clean, we did chores, there was no smell of piss or cheap wine or cigarette smoke. We went in bed on time, we never watched TV. First time in my life with structure. She was allowed out for my Communion. I went back to the rehab place in my dress and all these down and out looking types, ravaged by a life of drink were giving me pound coins and shaking my hand. Odd experience.

Of course rehab made no difference and she was back to her old tricks and forging cheques behind my dads back for booze money, drinking children's allowance etc. Sometimes the police (or strangers) brought her home because she was wandering around at night. I was plying with a friend in the park and we saw a bum over the other side of the park so we went to investigate. Imagine my horror when I discovered it was Mam there on a bench, twisted with a piss puddle on the ground under the bench. Another time she fell asleep in the park and a knacker stole her rings.

At 12, my mam went on such a binge that she almost failed her kidneys from dehydration. I remember her in my double bed under that blue and white flower bed spread that my gran owned and I hated (she'd been there 3 days) croaking at me for a pint of water. Dad took her to hospital. On release they told her her liver, lungs, kidneys were all grand. Unbelievable.

Another time due to a drunken fall probably, she got an aneurysm on her brain. She was messing her words up. It was scary. She was sitting in the hospital bed with a patch of her head shaved and a metal plate. I didn't like visiting. I was in the hall and dad had gone to the gents. I looked in and saw my Mam having a violent seizure and I just freaked out and started yelling for my dad and he tried to get a nurse and I just stood there frozen watching her convulse while nurses ran in and tried to stop it.

It carried out through my teens and most Christmases were ruined because she'd get drunk and get also make a show of us at family parties. I'd have leaving cert exams and get no sleep because of the roaring and shouting.

My Gran lived with use from when I was 12 - 15 . She told me my Mam drinks because of us kids. I never forgave her for that.

I moved out and then didn't see my Mam's episodes. You kind of forget that things were ever like that. My Dad has retired since and can keep an eye on her and she doesn't binge drink or get really hammered anymore. The relationship damage is done though.

good on you for posting that. i found it difficult to read to be honest because it brought it all back to me. my upbringing was very similar, i recognise those emotions. It took me to the age of 25 to even begin to realise the damage that was done to me by growing up with an alcoholic mother and a caretaking father. years on and i struggle with it every day. it was really really painful. even thinking about my childhood and adolesence now makes me angry and sad at the same time. i'm not sure you every truly escape the effects...i know they're still very much with me. anyways, good on you for sharing your story

1. Getting my CAO results and getting away from home.
    2. realizing that you will always meet more wonderful people and getting the confidence to say hi
    3. Spending New Years with my two best friends in London, then falling in love with one of them.
    4. Going interRailing with the greatest love of my life, esp holding her as she slept on the bus to the airport
    5. Running a successful business whilst in college that made a lot of people happy.

6. Being stabbed in the back by business partners/friends
    7. Failing the year in college and having to take out a massive loan to resit
    8. When the love of my life walked away without giving any real reason and seeing how she dosen't even want to talk to me, even though I miss her company everyday.

9. Hoping no 9 will be a positive one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Cool thread OP

Good
    Seeing my ex for the first time.
    I will never forget that first look: I was an intern in the office, and hated him already because everyone kept talking about this guy and how cool and smart he was and how they were looking forward to him getting back from his business trip. (Yawn) One morning I happened to get in early, and will never forget the second I ran into him: as soon as my eyes met his I literally felt like I’d just gotten an electric shock. Amazing person, he changed my life. We both moved on eventually but I will never forget the jolt of that first meeting and will be forever grateful for how he taught me greater humanity and changed me for the better. He really did make me a better person.

Boxing
    As a tomboy kid , I had always wanted to fight! Found this outlet as a teenager years ago in the US and it felt good to me from the first. Will never forget the excitement and tension and wellbeing I felt after when I first dared to jump into training and soon the ring!. Will never be a real fighter but the fitness and discipline will stand to me forever.

Realization that my Dad was a drunk
    A really high functioning intelligent one, but a drunk nonetheless. Changed my perception of myself (for the better) and of “society” (for the accurate)!

Bad
    Finding out my mother had cancer. Good/bad this one - we had been estranged and this forced a reconcilation. Lots ‘o water under the bridge, but I’m grateful to have had time to find acceptance and understanding if not all the rest…

First car crash.
    Been in a few (lesser) prangs since, butu nothing will ever compare to those few seconds that seemed so long: watching the oncoming speeding car in disbelief, thinking it can’t be , it can’t be. We were lucky, and all walked and talked again, but every time I hear of a road fatality it brings me back. My life didn’t flash before me, just the thought “Seriously? This is how I go? Some f*wit on the wrong side of the road? Bet this will hurt…” And it did.

Lots more. But like Grim novelist posted; it's the next one that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

There is a lot of tough reading on here, I suppose I'm quite lucky in that I dont have too many "bad" moments..

-I remember sitting in Dublin Airport right before I flew to Oz for a year thinking "what the hell am I doing" was a kind of spur of the moment thing!! But it really worked out and created a lot of good memorable moments

-When my nieces/nephews were born strong and healthy it was such a relieved feeling!

-Boyf told me he was getting back with his ex, stung a lot and it still does sometimes..

-Being told at age 8 that my uncle had died and not really understanding but I felt very sad that I would never see him again...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

When I was about three, I remember being trapped upside down hanging from a tree by one ankle and seeing my parents sprinting across the green. I don’t remember anything more, just them running to me. Apparently, I was yelling at the tree to put me down.

Some kid throwing sand in my eyes in a sandbox in nursery school. He or she claimed they had dug the hole I was sitting in, even though I had. Losing all faith in humanity at that point.

My brother being born a couple of years later. Being excited, but extremely disappointed that he wasn’t a girl. Wanting to call him Lucy anyway. Cross when my mother wouldn’t.

Granny dying. My mother went into the hospice to see her. I was meant to go in and see her the next day, but she died that night. Thinking it was so unfair that she couldn’t have hung on until the next day. Well, I was only 6.

(skips on a few years)

Being told, when I was about 12, that the dimple at the base of my spine is Spina Bifida. Realising that my parents had known this since I was born and just never told me. C'est la vie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Fantastic thread, thank you to all who have shared their experiences.

I have a few good and not-so-good moments:

When my baby sister was born She's 12 now, so not really a baby anymore but I will never forget when she was born. Mam had been taken in to be induced a few days beforehand and we were staying in my grandmother's house in Clondalkin. I was sleeping in my dad's old room and he came in at about 5 in the morning and sat on the bed (I was 8) and said "You have a new baby sister". I had 2 other sisters at the time but I don't remember them being born. When I first laid eyes on her, I thought my heart would explode with love, she had these big eyes and a shock of black hair and perfect lips, she was just gorgeous. I remember Dad handing her to me and I just took her in my arms and rocked her and she made that gorgeous gurgling sound babies make when their content. Mam had dreadful postnatal depression after she was born and I kind of took on the role, little as I was, of looking after the baby, feeding her and changing her. I think that's why I have such a special bond with her and I feel so much love for her and so proud of her sometimes that I wonder if I'll ever feel the same about my own kids when I have them!

My grandmother having a heart attack: I was 11 years old and we were just packing to go on holidays to Portugal and I went down to check if she was ready and I found my grandmother doubled over, having a heart attack. I was so young, I didn't have a clue what was going on, she just told me she wasn't feeling well and I went up to my parents' room to tell my dad. I remember very clearly that he was singing in the shower and next thing I know, there's an ambulance and she's being wheeled out of the house with an oxygen mask on her. She survived and had a triple bypass later that year, another moment I'll never forget as she kissed us all goodbye as she left the house, not knowing if we'd ever see her alive again. She recovered and although we don't get on now, those moments still stick with me.

A family friend having a stillborn child She had been trying to have another child for so long, and was about 8 and a half months when she went into labour very suddenly and the baby didn't survive. I remember her son (my first crush, still very good friends) just crying and crying trying to understand what had happened to the baby brother he'd been looking forward to meeting for so long. Thankfully, after a long grieving process, she tried again and carried a beautiful, healthy baby to full term a few years later.

When I met my ex I still remember it very well, December 2007 in The Roost pub in Maynooth. I asked his friend for a lighter and my ex offered one. When I kissed him for the first time I thought I'd been hit by lightning.

Realising I was in love for the first time Actually can't describe this one, was just incredible.

Getting First Class Honours in my degree I was sitting there at my computer in work, beside the girl I was working with, had been refreshing the page constantly for about 5 hours, and then bang, there they were, my results. Was such an incredible moment, I jumped up out of my chair and screamed and I was just so, so happy that all my work had paid off.

Getting an A1 in English in my Leaving Cert after the teacher who replaced the English teacher who was my idol told me that I was "too original" and did things too "Ms.X's (old teacher's)" way and was never going to get above a C2 unless I did it her (the new teacher's) way. I did things my own way and I damn well showed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

When each of my 3 younger sisters were born...I honestly can't describe it, I was 6, 13 and 17 for them, each time it was completely different and I fell in love with them instantly :) It's a bit strained with my oldest sister, going into her teenage years, meh :rolleyes:

When I realised what an asshole my dad was...I was about 5, he started shouting at mum in the car (I forget what about) and stopped it in the middle of the road, got out and walked away. I was very confused, all my remember is telling mammy I don't like it when he shouts, and then noticing her in tears. She's gotten so much stronger since then, I have no idea why she married him 2 years ago.

Learning to ride a bike...So much fun!

Making tunnels in a huge hay shed...unbelievable way to spend a childhood, didn't realise I was allergic to hay though ;)

Getting my N64...Started my tomboyish gaming life :P

Day Granddad died...Being in the room when the doctor told mammy it was the biggest tumor they'd ever seen, and they'd have to turn off the machine...having to comfort her, nana and uncle...only started to really grieve myself about a year later.

Day I finally cracked...Daddy told me he wished I was never born. He'd been implying it for years but only said it there on the 29th. Thank God I'm making something of my life and getting away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

• When my nephew was born. He was so cute and tiny and innocent. :) Hes now 3 and is so funny. He once put his head right in between the bars in the front gate and shouted " look mum, im like Norman" (from fire man Sam)... My poor sister cracked up laughing before starting her struggle to de-wedge his head from the gate
    • When my dad pulled his back. His back went into a bad spasm and he was on the floor in tears waiting for a now-doc. I didn't know what to do (I was around 9 or 10) and I ended up in my room crying.
    • Leaving cert results. I had gotten my course in the college i wanted. Was never so delighted, I just spent the day smiling.
    • A Train concert in Dublin. Not that well known, but their concert was amazing. And i was there with my girls from home, who I dont get to see too often, but when i do see them, we tend to make up for it. I don't think I could have been any happier than I was that night, just singing my heart out to Train with my girls and then going to the clubs afterwards
    • The day my best friend suprised me by coming to visit (she had recently moved to Dublin). Before she moved we were actually inseperable, and the only way I coped was i had actually convinced myself I was going to move to Dublin too and it would be fine. She phoned me one night and we were talking and I heard somebody at the door so I was like "two secs, just got to answer the door" and I opened it and there she was. I was so happy i cried! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

just stumbled across this brilliant thread this evening and have read it from start to finish- some amazing stories shared here- it's really got me thinking- will def be back to post my own!

Bad times
    A few years ago my brother was diagnosed with cancer and supposedly had days left to live, I rushed over to be there for my folks as I knew this would be hard on them but also because I wanted to see him die. It sounds odd I know, but he sexually abused me as a child and tried to rape me as a teenager and I've had to grit my teeth all these years, what he did shaped my life for a very long time and I thought this moment- his death would make things better. I would be able to put it all behind me. He fought tooth and nail and he survived and it sickens me that so many people have lost people that they have loved to this illness and this man could pull through, and for what? He's still horrible, my mum seems insistent that he's an angel despite her knowing what happened which has caused countless arguments and heartache. And since this happened I've found out he did the same to my brother, my sister and my cousin. The injustice of this physically hurts me at times.

Good times
    The first time I could look at myself without hating what I saw. The first time I was in love. The day I saw the man I am with now. Looking back at where I came from and seeing where I am now.

Thank you for the chance to let this out, its not everywhere you can say these things!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Seeing my baby brother for the first time. We are both adopted, so I was sitting in a room in the adoption agency with my parents when he was carried in. I was only about 3, but I remember it so clearly. My mum holding him, looking so happy and telling me to say hello to my new brother. We were best friends growing up, and even though we've drifted a bit now as we get our own separate lives, I'm so proud of what he's become!

My best guy friend drunkenly telling me that he had feelings for me. Rambled away for ages....until I kissed him (to shut him up ;)). I'll never forget that... Also, when he told me he loved me. Only a few months after we got together. What made it so amazing was that I had nearly accidentally said it to him about a hundred times before he actually told me because I knew I did. Finally being able to say it back was the most wonderful feeling. There have been so many amazing moments with him since then, and they're still coming :)

Passing my driving test the day after my grandad passed away.. I always remember him letting me sit in the cab of his van on his knee as he drove out our long driveway, so I like to think he first introduced me to driving.

Finding out that my aunt had cancer..it was the first time that I had experience with the illness from someone so close. Seeing her go through it was awful, especially as she had a young son. When she died, a few days before Christmas a few years ago, I'll never forget the feeling. Seeing my mum completely broken will always stay with me..

My leaving cert results. Both good and bad. Was delighted with my points, but my dad wasn't happy with the course I got... Beginning to think I'll never please him :(

Getting my car. I live in the middle of nowhere so it was the first time I've ever had total freedom!

Last summer. Too many moments to mention. But I think it's the happiest I've been so far in my life. Despite facing into my final year of college, I managed to have so much fun with people who I now know will be my friends for life. We packed in so much, camping, day trips. A weekend away with my boyfriend. Will never forget those few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

This thread is probly the best I've ever read!

I'm still only young so haven't had as many experiences as most but anyway

The good:
    -Getting my leaving results and doing way better then I could have imagined!
    -Passing my driving test first time :)
    -Meeting my girlfriend! Only together a few months but I'm already mad about her!
    -Sailing on a tall ship in the Baltic Sea for a summer with one of my best friends! Being on watch with her at 3am, no noise only the sound of the water and only light from the moon! I could have stayed there forever!

The bad ones:
    -Finding out my gran died! I was about 13 and was walking home from school, one of my parents friends pulled over and shouted out the window at me "sorry to hear your granny died"...my parents were waiting till I got home to tell me!
    -Watching my grandad die in hospital and spending the bones of 6 months dreading everytime the phone would ring incase it was bad news!
    -Going to my best mates mums funeral! The guy is completly lost without her and his life is a complete mess!
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

You are all great women and men.

Recently I went through one of the most difficult times in my life. Each and every single day I was feeling down, struggling with everything. I was working two jobs - one internship, one weekend job and then college weekdays. Despite everything I went through, despite everything that was against me, I went on to get a 2.1 in college - less than 5% off of a first. It was then that I realised how capable I was, how strong I was, how smart I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Hersheys wrote: »

Finding out I was pregnant. I was 17. We'd been so, so, so careful, but obviously just not careful enough. I realised I was late and we went for a walk and I told him, so we went and bought a test, went back to his house and I went to pee on the stick. Of course I got stage fright and couldn't go, but his mother arrived home from work to see him sitting on the floor outside the bathroom and askes what he's doing there and he said "Hersheys is in there doing a pregnancy test." At that moment - stage fright over, floodgates opened, and 2 minutes later those two little lines came up. Scariest moment ever. His mam was so supportive - sent him out to the shop and just gave me such a big hug and said some things that, for as long as I live, I'll never forget. He got back from the shop and she left us to talk, and a few days later we decided to keep the baby.

Losing said baby. Hardest day ever. It wasn't long after I found out I was pregnant, and we were building up to tell my family. The day before I was going to drop the bombshell I started to bleed. Went to the hospital, was told I'd lost the baby. We were both hurting, and though we were grieving for the same lost child, we were at different points in our recovery so weren't there for each other. Which drove us apart, and we broke up. It was pretty much the end of our 5 year relationship because, although we pretty much got back together afterwards, he died of a massive stroke before we made it official.

Worst summer ever!!
    Jesus Christ child, you poor thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The ball hitting the back of the Arsenal net. :cool:

I used to be a pretty good competitive cyclist when I was younger, so a lot of moments I'll never forget circle around that.

When I was competing in the under-14s All Ireland championship that was held in Newtownards, I was doing a criterium, which is essentially a short road race with multiple laps; this one consisting of 20 laps, if I remember correctly, throughout the whole race this person kept close to the back of my wheel. This is pretty much because any wind interference that there is is broken by me, which makes it easier for them. Lap after lap they just sat there until I heard the foghorn to announce the final lap. Enough is enough, I thought to myself and sprinted off, leaving this person behind. I can remember the crowd cheering for me, as this happened right in front of them - some cheering my name, some cheering my number. It was a wonderful, wonderful feeling. The following day we discovered that at this very moment, less than 80 miles away, 21 people had lost their lives in the Omagh Bombing. Really puts a lot of things in perspective.

A lot of moments I'll never forget center around the crashes I had - one being when I was cycling around a damp corner, when my back wheel came out from underneath me and the bike went sidewards, sending me crashing to the road, where I skidded across the asphalt until I came banging into the curb. Luckily enough it had been one-way street, otherwise I may not be here right now. There were cars behind me, however, and nobody got out to see if I were OK. The driver in the car closest to me merely gave me a thumbs-up when we made eye contact, which was more to say "awesome crash!" than "are you alright?", which I was, just slightly bruised - both my body and my ego.

When I was younger, maybe about 6 or 7, I was down at the pier in the village I grew up in. My best friend at the time, was climbing down a rope into a one of the boats with me staring down at him. I must have put too much weight forwards, because the next thing you knew I was falling. The tide was out fully so it would have been about a 15 foot drop and I was falling headfirst. Somehow I managed to grab the rope about 5 foot from the bottom and I slid down it, burning the hell out of my hands. That was a fun day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Moments I´ll never forget:

My mother passing away when I was 10. She had a sudden stroke. I remember her getting taken down the stairs of the house in a wheel chair to the ambulance outside. My brother told me to go and tell her I loved her so I ran out to the hall and shouted, "I love you" and she looked me in the eye and said, "I love you too". Those were the last words she ever said to me and I´m so grateful for that.

My dad´s wedding. He remarried 3 years later and at the time I felt it was too soon. I thought my mother was being replaced. I was miserable the whole day (you should see the wedding photos! Pretty funny in hindsight). I look back now and realise it was the best thing to happen to us all. My stepmother is a saint and I love her to pieces.

My brother´s half-hearted suicide attempt when I was 17. I walked in to his room and there was blood everywhere. I don´t think he really intended to kill himself that day but it was his cry for help. He was very troubled and was a constant worry for all of us. 13 years later he´s moving in with a wonderful woman and her 2 kids and he´s never been happier. Took him a long time to get there but he did in the end. Such a relief.

Seeing photos of my emaciated sister when I was 9 who´d been suffering from anorexia at the time. She´d been living abroad and her friend had called my mother to give her the photos out of concern. My mother sat in the front seat of our car and cried her eyes out. She didn´t intend in showing me the photos but I saw one. She looked awful...like an starving African child. She was only 19 at the time. It was shocking and very upsetting. I didn´t understand what was wrong with her.

The occassional eruption of violence in my home as a child. I still get very, very upset when I see violence now...even fictional violence in films.

Getting my leaving cert results and passing when I didn´t do a tap at school. The relief was incredible. I didn´t deserve to pass but someone up there was looking after me.

September `94 to June ´95. Second best year of my life. Surrounded by great friends and doing the final year of my degree that I loved. I rememeber that year being doubled over laughing for most of it.

My first broken heart. If you´ve been there, you know how it is. You have to go through it sometime though, I suppose.

Travelling in South America for a year on my own. First 3 weeks were tough but it was without a doubt the best year of my life. Dont´know where I got the balls to do it but I did.

Getting positive feedback from all my students last year. I´m good at teaching English! Who knew!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Ksusha26

Days I will never forget -

1. Passed my driving test last year, although yet to own a car.
    2. My first boyfriend telling me that he loved me (I was 18).
    3. Graduation from high school/university
    4. The first time I made love to my current boyfriend - Tuesday 2 November 2010. He picked me up from work having dropped his kids over to his mother's. Had a dinner prepared with flowers. Candelight, wine... one thing led to another, told me he loved me, we kissed. Dropped everything, stood up, he took my hand, went upstairs to his room, shut the door....10 minutes later we are standing beside the bed, naked...hugging & kissing each other, we both look into each other's eyes... giggling, he lifts the quilt, motions for me to get in. I get in, he follows...... :)

20 minutes later after sex, I place my head on his chest, we cuddle, laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

The first girl I fell for really badly and she seemed to fall for me, I remember saying to myself "this is too good to be true" it was. I got hurt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Good

1. Passing my driving test
    2. Buying my first car (nearly totalled it on the first day!!)
    3. Getting promoted at work even though my boss had told me there was
    no point in me applying (i showed him!)
    4. Buying my first house (well for first three months i didnt sleep with the
    terror of having a mortgage!)
    5. Finishing the mini marathon in 1hr 11 mins yay!
    6. Buying my first brand new car (drove it out of forecourt proud as punch
    then half way home realising that i hadnt switched over the insurance!)

Sad

1. Getting a phonecall one sunday morning to tell me that my best friend in
    the entire world had died
    2. My dad dying in my arms of that f**kin cancer
    3. Listening to the gut wrenching sobs of my mother as she pleaded with
    him not to leave her
    4. Being in New York for 9/11 - there are no words but the memories and
    smell will stay with me forever
    5. Seeing the bodies being brought to shore after Lord MountBatten was
    murdered (i was only 10 but i still remember it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lady_jane_grey

Like a lot of people, I was raised on a minimum wage. My Mam and Dad both left school early and always encouraged myself and my brothers to do the best we could in school so we could have the opportunities they never had.
    I remember on my graduation day thinking how hard my parents worked and all the sacrifices they made so that I could get there. On my graduation day, I remember meeting my parents under the arch at Trinity. When my Mam saw me in my cap and gown, I could see the tears welling in her eyes. She held out her arms and we hugged. My Dad, a man of few words, hugged me and then shook my hand. I was trying not to cry, but it was hard.

It was the best day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

• getting my leaving cert results
    • getting a 2.1 in my degree
    • finding out my sister was pregnant
    • my niece being born
    • grandparents funeral
    • being painfully shy as a teenager and realizing that lots of others are the same
    • seeing Edinburgh and Krakow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Meeting my bf, and love of my life.:)

My trip to New York with school, its really a completely new experience and great city.:D

Finding out about Santa, I can hear myself say "but the tooth fairys real though?!" :o

First year in secondary school, i hated it so much!

My favourite year in school, 3rd year, I had finally found my style and just goton into good music (by comparison).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

My Dad and I never really got on. We had serious fights (I ended up black and blue after most) but admittedly I’d go out of my way to piss him off. Eventually he kicked me out over something ridiculous when I was 16(had a party at their house whilst they were away for the weekend) though again I guess I just became too much to handle. I had no where to go, I had to move in with a friend whose parents were so kind. My Dad and I didn’t speak for years. It got to the point where I’d call the house to ask mum something about school and Dad would pick up, hear it was me and hang up.
    Anyway, years later we are now getting on great again though we never talked about what happened.
    In the Christmas just gone I bought my Dad a Springer Spaniel puppy. It’s a dog he has always wanted since he’s been young but has never had the time or money aside to actually start looking into getting one. He has had a really hard few years; laid off due to a work related injury, been out of work two years and near separation from my Mum. However, when he saw the pup his eyes lit up. He was like a child. He started crying and hugged me and told me he loved me (which he has never done prior to this). He apologised for everything and we had a really good heart to heart about everything. It was great. He is a typical old-fashioned man who never talks about his feelings and to see him like this really made me think.
    I love my father after everything that has happened and I’m so glad we had that moment – I’ll never forget it. J

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Bad ones:(

Dad ringing me in 1999 barely able to speak through his tears. Mum had breast cancer.
    Finding out halfway through my second pregnancy that my daughter had a disability.
    Finding out last July that Dad was seriously ill.
    Holding Dad's hand 9 weeks ago today as he passed away from sarcomatoid mesothelioma, a rare and very aggressive lung cancer. I f**king hate the word cancer:(

Good ones:D

Birth of my first daughter, though I was young and the pregnancy unplanned. I love being a Mammy:).
    Looking at the utter shock on the face of the woman who scanned me throughout my second pregnancy, when she saw my daughter kicking away in her pram. She'd told me she might not survive the pregnancy, the birth or her first year. And she wouldn't walk. In your face Mrs!! She's 10 now and running around with the rest of them as best she can:D.
    Mum being given the all clear from breast cancer, nearly 12yrs and counting.
    Going to New York 2yrs ago, obsessed with the place since was a kid. It was everything I expected and more. Going back one day I don't care if I've to rob a bank I'll get there:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Days ill always remember:

Good days:
    • when i first held my godson
    • when i finally finished my Honours Degree
    • when i met my hero Ryan Giggs
    • seeing a video of my grandad who is 8 years passed in his favourite place talking about his passion ( Irish culture)

Bad Days:
    • When i found out my mother had cancer
    • When i learned that my childhood was not what it was

Advertisement