Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry reboot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yes but his attitude to the game before he played it and his general negative demeanor make the perfect score pretty big, plus he claims hes already lining up his arguments for it for GBs GOTY
    My problem with a guy like Brad reviewing it though is that he's coming into the series from the point of view of someone who hasn't played any of the games since DMC2. To me it's a little like giving RE6 to a person who hadn't played RE4,5 or any of the Gears of War or Uncharted games. Naturally you'd expect their impressions of that game to be coloured by their lack of experience with the genre.

DMC3 is such a fantastic title that it practically ruined most other hack 'n slashes for me. The only game that has come close is Bayonetta. The popularity of God of War escapes me. I just don't get that game at all.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

GODDAMNIT VERGIL, WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION... wait, someone already made that joke

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

snausages wrote: »
    My problem with a guy like Brad reviewing it though is that he's coming into the series from the point of view of someone who hasn't played any of the games since DMC2. To me it's a little like giving RE6 to a person who hadn't played RE4,5 or any of the Gears of War or Uncharted games. Naturally you'd expect their impressions of that game to be coloured by their lack of experience with the genre.

DMC3 is such a fantastic title that it practically ruined most other hack 'n slashes for me. The only game that has come close is Bayonetta. The popularity of God of War escapes me. I just don't get that game at all.
    It's because Kratos is so DARK and EDGY and TORMENTED!!!!1

:rolleyes:
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Especially after the first game he just comes across as a complete roidhead.

+1 to Bayonetta/DMC3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the problem with Brad is that he's a crap games journalist like most everyone at Giantbomb.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Especially after the first game he just comes across as a complete roidhead.

At least he had a reason to be a roid head in the first game. In the sequels he's just a big man child throwing a very violent tantrum.

The writing standard on that site isn't great, but I love their video content

I hope DmC ends up being a New Coke/Coke Classic situation. If anything it seems now there's a huge public interest in a DMC5 where before there was mostly apathy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The writing standard on that site isn't great, but I love their video content

I hope DmC ends up being a New Coke/Coke Classic situation. If anything it seems now there's a huge public interest in a DMC5 where before there was mostly apathy
    What New Coke?

There was never a "New" Coke.

You're making things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm about 6 missions in. Not liking it. It looks fantastic and the gameplay for the most part is fine, but the controls can be extremely awkward (I've lost more health falling from missing angel lifts or the angel boost than in fights) and the camera can be terrible at times (trying to fight two Tyrants without being able to see one of them).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So it's bad? I really want to hate this based solely on Dante's new look (childish, I know) but there's no way I'm buying this new.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Angry Joe gave it a 7. Suggested that there's ridiculous levels of hyperbole on both sides, one calling it the saviour of the genre and the other calling it a wretched, smegma-encrusted piece of crap. I'll be picking it up tomorrow anyway, but it seems like one worth waiting to go down in price.

I still hate the idea behind colour-coded enemies. It just seems designed to frustrate the imaginative combat possibilities that were such a fun feature in the old games. Working out how to immediately transition from rocking guitar solos into big, flaming tornadoes was what made those games so fun.

Some of the dialogue between Dante and one of the bosses actually made me feel embarrassed to be playing it. Similar to how I felt embarrassed every time Bayonetta's clothes disappeared and she let out a little giggle.

I was willing to accept New Dante, but they're not making it easy, especially when all the trophy names are quotes from the previous games and just highlight how far removed New Dante is from Old Dante. I mean, there were complaints about Nero in DMC4, but this is much worse.
    And I can't take Vergil seriously in that hat. Sparda looked more like a woodland elf than a badass demon knight when they showed him in silhouette with those horns. And Mundus and his woman look ridiculous.

Just on old DMC, there's a sort of movement going on in some gaming circles and forums where they're trying to push as many people to pick up the HD collection on Amazon as a sort of mass demonstration that there's still a high level of interest in the old games. Even though it's almost certain that someone at Capcom is just going to read it as people wanting more DmC, it's still nice to see people try something other than a pissy fan-signed petition even if the likelihood of any success is pretty low on both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just on old DMC, there's a sort of movement going on in some gaming circles and forums where they're trying to push as many people to pick up the HD collection on Amazon as a sort of mass demonstration that there's still a high level of interest in the old games. Even though it's almost certain that someone at Capcom is just going to read it as people wanting more DmC, it's still nice to see people try something other than a pissy fan-signed petition even if the likelihood of any success is pretty low on both sides.

That's good. Have these attempts to broaden fanbases at the expense of the current fanbase actually succeeded does anyone know?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Dunno. Right now though the PS3 HD collection is selling at a greater rate than DmC on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PlayStation-Hardware/zgbs/videogames/14210751/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_1_vg

No. 8 at the time of typing. DmC at 21.

Nothing similar on .co.uk atm though.

As much as I'm disliking the new DmC, I'd play it through 5 times before I'd play DMC2 again.

You do know that DMC is a trilogy, right? There never was a DMC2.

As for DmC, it's debuted at no.1 on the UK charts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-21-uk-chart-dmc-devil-may-cry-horns-its-way-to-top-spot

But it's only sold slightly over a third (less than half in other words) of what DMC4 sold when it came out.

I'm around the halfway point now and it's not bad, but not great. What I expected really. But what really confuddles me is that they include jump-cancelling, a really obscure gameplay tactic/exploit usable only by an elite few, yet they don't allow you to cancel out of Dante's ground combos when you need to dodge an attack. You don't even need JC in this game considering how much air you get from regular attacks anyway. Honestly I feel like the combat designer was completely clueless.

Yet it plays better than any western hack 'n slash I've played. Which is more of a indictment on the way the genre is handled by western developers than anything else.

I'm around the halfway point now and it's not bad, but not great. What I expected really. But what really confuddles me is that they include jump-cancelling, a really obscure gameplay tactic/exploit usable only by an elite few, yet they don't allow you to cancel out of Dante's ground combos when you need to dodge an attack. You don't even need JC in this game considering how much air you get from regular attacks anyway. Honestly I feel like the combat designer was completely clueless.

Yet it plays better than any western hack 'n slash I've played. Which is more of a indictment on the way the genre is handled by western developers than anything else.

Yeah, I'm getting hit more from lesser enemies because I'm in the middle of a combo and can't move or jump out of it. And the timing required for some important attacks (like uppercutting a Tyrant) is ridiculous. I either get flattened or jump over him.

Two things are really infuriating me though: Using an Angel Lift, then having to use Demon Pull to make a new platform, I can't seem to be able to then jump to the new platform. The whole system is unnecessarily overused and flawed (plus there's no Wall Jump in the game)

And going into Devil Trigger knocks all the enemies into the air. Whose stupid idea was that? You should be able to go into DT and demolish whatever enemy is nearest to you. Now you either have to jump up and air combo them (that's if you jump the right height, as some require a double jump to reach) or use Angel Lift or Demon Pull to get closer to them. Again, it's just unnecessary and adds nothing to the gameplay. If anything, it detracts from it.

I'm liking the game a bit more than I was, but I'm still finding it hugely disappointing compared to DMC3 and DMC4.

The game hits occasional moments of brilliance, like the Bob Barbas boss. Mechanically it's little different to the crap Jester fights in DMC3SE, but they use the fight itself as a vehicle for some funny metacomentary not only on Bill O'Reilly but also the backlash against the Dante character himself. Some of Bob's insults seem inspired by the diatribes you see posted on Gfaqs and YouTube and elsewhere, like '****ing emo punk'.It's a nice touch.

Finished this last night. I'll admit, it did get better towards the end, but overall, I'm still hugely disappointed in this game.

- No lock-on or being able to cancel out of combos was a step backwards
    - No lock-on meaning some charge moves become useless against certain enemies
    - Some of the button inputs required were ridiculous to the point where I never used those moves (forward, forward, triangle for the Stinger was a pain to input, as was the L2+R1 for Angel Evade)
    - Colour-coded variations of normal enemies which mean only certain weapons can kill them, limiting your moveset, and trying to cover up a lack of distinct enemies
    - Way too much platforming with the Angel Lift/Demon Pull which was far too overused in general
    - Devil Trigger knocking all enemies into the air (meaning you have to jump or use Angel Lift/Demon Pull to reach them, and you mostly use air combos in DT which limits your moveset)
    - Guns very underpowered, especially the last gun you get which is pretty much useless against bigger enemies
    - Bosses are far too easy, and some of them being given a level to themselves just highlights how short this game is
    - Some areas are so bright or glow so much that it's hard to see
    - Script really feels like it was mostly written by a 15 year old, and some parts made me feel embarrassed to be playing it
    - Last two missions are far, far too easy
    - As far as I can remember, there's about 1 puzzle in the entire game

Whatever about the redesign of the characters, this game is very flawed in terms of gameplay too. Very disappointing.

I agree with all of the above, but I noticed an unusual difficulty spike in the final fight. I'm not sure if it's because of how rigid and restrictive the scripting of the fight was or because my eyes were sore with fatigue due to the hour and I couldn't follow the on-screen action. But it was odd. Very unmotivating. The Mundus fight is one of the wubbiest final bosses I've fought in a video game.

It's not a bad game either but it's an embittering feeling knowing that this will likely be the future of Devil May Cry. This game doesn't even have an ending. They're pushing for a sequel pretty bad (no prizes for guessing who the next big bad will be.)

I agree with all of the above, but I noticed an unusual difficulty spike in the final fight. I'm not sure if it's because of how rigid and restrictive the scripting of the fight was or because my eyes were sore with fatigue due to the hour and I couldn't follow the on-screen action. But it was odd. Very unmotivating. The Mundus fight is one of the wubbiest final bosses I've fought in a video game.

It's not a bad game either but it's an embittering feeling knowing that this will likely be the future of Devil May Cry. This game doesn't even have an ending. They're pushing for a sequel pretty bad (no prizes for guessing who the next big bad will be.)

You're right about the final fight, but it's not because of difficulty, it's because of the camera. Due to
    Vergil teleporting before some attacks, it's hard to know if he's attacking from above or dashing in from the side. That, and the fact that I didn't realise I was supposed to go Devil Trigger for the very end (meaning he recovered some health and so the fight was a bit longer as I'd already used up my DT earlier and had to wait for it to build up again) made it seem a bit more difficult than it actually was. But when compared with Vergil's last boss fight in DMC3, this was a sheer cakewalk.

Sales of the game haven't been great though. They won't abandon this new reboot, but hopefully they'll take a deeper look at the previous games. I think that's my main issue, if this game wasn't called Devil May Cry, I'd think it was okay. But it's just a step-back in a lot of areas from the previous games that it's just disappointing.

• Advertisement

Cool video. Some dude killing demons with smokin' sick style on DmD

Although the actual combat mechanics behind what he's doing aren't all that difficult, barring the jump-cancelling. But it's fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Penn wrote: »
    Finished this last night. I'll admit, it did get better towards the end, but overall, I'm still hugely disappointed in this game.

- No lock-on or being able to cancel out of combos was a step backwards
    - No lock-on meaning some charge moves become useless against certain enemies
    - Some of the button inputs required were ridiculous to the point where I never used those moves (forward, forward, triangle for the Stinger was a pain to input, as was the L2+R1 for Angel Evade)
    - Colour-coded variations of normal enemies which mean only certain weapons can kill them, limiting your moveset, and trying to cover up a lack of distinct enemies
    - Way too much platforming with the Angel Lift/Demon Pull which was far too overused in general
    - Devil Trigger knocking all enemies into the air (meaning you have to jump or use Angel Lift/Demon Pull to reach them, and you mostly use air combos in DT which limits your moveset)
    - Bosses are far too easy, and some of them being given a level to themselves just highlights how short this game is
    - Last two missions are far, far too easy
    - As far as I can remember, there's about 1 puzzle in the entire game

Agree with the above points
    Completed it today, STEAM says 8hours
    I also found that I didn't need to use about 50% of the skillset I had, as long as I switched between Angel/Demon/Normal and gun enough I could always be hitting S->SSS

I didn't mind the story too much, some of it was a bit crap in fairness, but overall I enjoyed the game.
    I'm just glad I got it for 15euro on PC...which I should point out is a great port for a "console" type game, and the options are fantastic graphically.
    I didn't encounter 1 bug or crash

It shipped 1 million copies, operative word being 'shipped'. DMC4 did about 2.7 million. Seeing as the purpose of this reboot was to make a DMC that would sell GoW-like figures, I wonder what this means for the future of the series?

I still can't believe they rebooted DMC. What a stupid idea that was, especially since DMC4 was already something of a pseudo-reboot with Nero as the more accessible choice for newcomers.

Hopefully it'll show them that Twilighting everything isn't the way to gain sales. I'm replaying DMC4 at the moment on the PC (worth it for LDK mode alone) and adding Nero was an excellent attempt at rejuvenating the series while keeping Dante in it to keep people happy.

H. H. Asquith

Bloody Palace is out tomorrow. They're also releasing a patch...

-Poison AI issue addressed (she no longer enters non-interactive state)
    -Lessened damage and style boost from Demon Evade
    -Arbiter “Drop” now causes damage and style gain even if jump-canceled
    -Non-damaging moves no longer provide style points (why do this? Don't see the point.)
    -Damage done by weakest enemies increased (Those enemies never get an attack in anyway)
    -Damage done by all enemies increased on Nephilim and Son of Sparda modes
    -Adjusted attack (parry) windows for Rage spin move.
    -SS and SSS will now decay back down to S if you stop gaining style
    -No more eternal angel glide (where Dante flies around)

So with demon evade nerfed it's going to be a lot more difficult to cheese your way through DmC. I have just Mundus' palace to beat on DmD, wondering if I should get a move-on with it or wait.

Vergil's Downfall is out soon as well. From what I hear he has no angel/demon weapons, which probably means no colour-coded enemies. I can see the DLC being a more fluid combat experience overall if that's the case.

It's a shame they're patching the glide glitch. That was fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Bloody Palace is out tomorrow. They're also releasing a patch...

Thought it wasn't due till next week?

Well I don't know, this says it comes out tomorrow. Maybe that's for PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Finished the game on nephilm and got SSS rating on every level . However I traded it in . The game is a piece of shîte compared to previous dmc s. I heard ninja theory got death threats .

I traded it in for 40 at gs today . I won't be missing it .

Interesting read on the DMC fan forums
    Look, guys, here's the bottom line:

1) Any sequel, whether it be Devil May Cry 5 or DmC: Devil may Cry 2, will be a disappointment as Capcom will take a chainsaw to the budget. Game series that might not sell much over a million (if it ever reaches that, in DmC's case) lifetime don't get AAA budgets. Capcom was so sure that DmC would break sales records, so any confidence it has in the Devil May Cry name has been extremely shaken.

2) A DmC: Devil may Cry 2 will be closer to the original Devil May Cry titles than DmC was. Capcom will be looking to salvage some sales from the old fanbase as obviously they failed to get a new fanbase. So even if Capcom does go with Ninja Theory again, it won't be the DmC 2 that you want.

3) Devil May Cry 5, if it gets made, won't be the DMC 5 fans want. Itsuno is working on Dragon's Dogma 2; Kobayashi is working on Sengoku Basara 4 (if rumors prove to be true) as well as half a dozen other projects; Tetsuya Shibata (the composer for Devil May Cry 2, 3, and 4) left Capcom shortly after Devil May Cry 4 was released; Bingo (the main writer for Devil May Cry 3 and 4), left Capcom very shortly after Devil May Cry 4 was released; there is no gaurantee that Rueben Langdon and Johnny Yong Bosch will be available to do a Devil May Cry 5 as they both have several projects that they are working on and others that they are planning on in the future; and most of the former team that worked on Devil May Cry 2, 3, and 4 have now been split up across the company. So even a Devil May Cry 5 wouldn't make fans happy as there would be a brand new team with brand new voice actors on top of brand new writers. You may as well just make DmC: Devil may Cry 2 in that case.

4) With the expected rise in development costs Next Gen, the sales disappointment of DmC, and the uncertainty of Devil May Cry 5... Devil May Cry as a franchise may very well be hung up for the time being or for good at this point.

Nobody wins. This whole situation has just been one enormous nightmare for Capcom; for Ninja Theory; and for the fanbase as a whole.

I won't deny a little schadenfreude on my part when DmC performed badly in sales, but this is a sobering post. Whatever your view of DmC, there's not much satisfaction to be got from the destruction of your favourite franchise.

• Advertisement

I won't deny a little schadenfreude on my part when DmC performed badly in sales, but this is a sobering post. Whatever your view of DmC, there's not much satisfaction to be got from the destruction of your favourite franchise.

Excellent point. I wasn't aware that a sequel to DMC4 would face those kinds of problems. I'd honestly rather see the series die than suffer a string of RE6 style sequels.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement