Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry reboot

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Sales-wise it did reasonably well. From what I heard it did at least as well as DMC3, though that was the least successful of the series anyway.

On another note, supposed ending 'leaks' are doing the rounds. I wouldn't post it but for the fact that previous leaks for this game have actually been spot on and this one is insane enough that it's worth posting even if it isn't true.
    The game starts out as a prequel, but turns into an alternate universe Star Trek style. Basically, half-angel, half-demon people have been trying to save the universe by destroying different timelines on their time machine that runs on the tears of children. Classic Dante shows up at the very end, implying that DMC5 will be Dante & Donte teaming up trying to save time and space.

This one is pretty spectacular
    Vergil's true form looks like a Tyrannosaurus. He is a puppet of Mundus used to control the Anonymous-type group. You kill him, absorb his soul and Dante's hair turns white. The demo files have confirmed the last bit at least

Dante kills Mundus' wife and feeds Mundus his babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

snausages wrote: »
    Sales-wise it did reasonably well. From what I heard it did at least as well as DMC3, though that was the least successful of the series anyway.
    Assuming you mean Bayonetta, it did reasonably well after some tremendous price drops unfortunately. Which is why the sequel got ****canned by Sega until Nintendo stepped in. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I like the demo but its gonna get boring fast and end up a pain in the ass to finish. I'll wait for a pre-owned down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Got my hands on the demo there and blew through it twice, just to make sure that I feel the way I do about it. It's not the worst game in the world, but it certainly feels nothing like Devil May Cry. I'll type up a tiny review for HSN and pop it online soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Looks like if I want any more DMC, I'll have to settle for Bayonetta. This thread's saved me a few quid.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Didn't care for the demo at all. Whatever about the combat, what bothered me most was how much jumping / platforming there was in the thing, and it didn't feel smooth or interesting at all. Doing the double jump to boost combo felt sluggish and unconvincing every single time - and when you have to do it ten or fifteen times in a row, like in the irritating stretching cathedral section, it became annoying fast.

Back to combat: it feels sluggish and not quite there. Mixing up combat moves seemed to score me few points (during the B and A meter levels, anyway), while slugging away with the scythe amped it up to S and SS with little bother.

But yeah, the 'conversation' with the boss. Jesus Christ. Felt insulted by that "**** **** **** **** ****". How in the name of hell was Alex Garland involved with this :confused: Dante by and large is a cocky, arrogant and thoroughly unlikeable character here. Not that he was ever gaming's most lovable protagonist, but this is a step back even for him.

On the plus side, the creature designs seemed suitably demented and grotesque. When they had the decency to stay quiet, at least.

If you want instant SSSensational, try doing a demon dodge (hold RT while evading with RB. Sort of like Bayonetta) and smash the crap out of the enemies with Y,Y, RT+Y.

Very generous style system.

On the plus side, the creature designs seemed suitably demented and grotesque. When they had the decency to stay quiet, at least.

Thought the creature designs were quite boring and generic myself. They just seemed like Demon 1, Demon 2, and so on. The boss was the only eyecatching one, and he wasn't great either. The wee flying little angel lads look like similar ones from Devil May Cry too. I wonder if they're supposed to be them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

deathrider wrote: »
    Thought the creature designs were quite boring and generic myself. They just seemed like Demon 1, Demon 2, and so on. The boss was the only eyecatching one, and he wasn't great either. The wee flying little angel lads look like similar ones from Devil May Cry too. I wonder if they're supposed to be them.

Should have specified some of the creature designs. The general ones were indeed rather generic, but the boss demon plus some of the ones hinted at in the trailer were classic Capcom grotesqueries. Also liked the way the masked antagonist - although design-wise derivative of V for Vendetta / Anoymous - delivered his rhetoric like a video diary.

I'm not that thrilled with the Anon analogue they have going, especially with neo-Vergil. It's all very 'contemporary' and will date the game horribly. Whereas although DMC1 was very much a product of the immediate post-Matrix era, it's still a very stylish looking game.

• Advertisement

... And just for the record, I still don't like Dante's hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

On another note, supposed ending 'leaks' are doing the rounds. I wouldn't post it but for the fact that previous leaks for this game have actually been spot on and this one is insane enough that it's worth posting even if it isn't true.
    The game starts out as a prequel, but turns into an alternate universe Star Trek style. Basically, half-angel, half-demon people have been trying to save the universe by destroying different timelines on their time machine that runs on the tears of children. Classic Dante shows up at the very end, implying that DMC5 will be Dante & Donte teaming up trying to save time and space.

This one is pretty spectacular
    Vergil's true form looks like a Tyrannosaurus. He is a puppet of Mundus used to control the Anonymous-type group. You kill him, absorb his soul and Dante's hair turns white. The demo files have confirmed the last bit at least

Dante kills Mundus' wife and feeds Mundus his babies.
    Well, there goes my hope for a Bayonetta x Dante crossover game :rolleyes:

Now, my main gripes so far with this game have been with how it plays and not the style and tone of its story. But holy crap, this is just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Played the demo for the first time today, thought it was good fun.
    Pisses all over 4 imo, from what I've seen so far.

Juvenile as hell with all the "**** you! **** YOU!" etc. but sure, what DMC wasn't?

Now, my main gripes so far with this game have been with how it plays and not the style and tone of its story. But holy crap

I was watching that and hoping they wouldn't end that telephone conversation with the line "Mr. President".

Of course they did.

And to think that most (frickin' ending) of Enslaved was actually well written :(

Played the demo for the first time today, thought it was good fun.
    Pisses all over 4 imo, from what I've seen so far.

As an overall product I can see DmC being a better game than DMC4, what with its lavish production values and beautiful visuals. But in terms of combat? Not a chance. DMC4 is peerless.

And that's not the only way you can trash Berial either
    I was watching that and hoping they wouldn't end that telephone conversation with the line "Mr. President".

Of course they did.

And to think that most (frickin' ending) of Enslaved was actually well written :(

From what I heard this is their first 'in-house' writing project, which might explain why it's so rough. It's not the kind of thing that would typically discourage me considering the genre it's a part of, but then story has been given a central position in this new game's development. So far it reads like a weird They Live x DMC fanfiction

Watched the final boss and ending on youtube. Doesn't look so great.
    Imagine the final boss fight of DMC3 except punctuated with cinematic events a la the final boss of MGS4. That's what we're getting. Major disappointment considering how technically challenging Vergil was in DMC3. Best boss fight I've ever played in a game.

Edit: if you don't have an aversion to spoilers you can watch it here: http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=ga97245d9b7788adb99919473419c264cf95b08235

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone else not receive the Vergil and gold weapon dlc in GameStop on their preorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Anyone else not receive the Vergil and gold weapon dlc in GameStop on their preorder?

Picking mine up later, if thats the case I'll be annoyed as its the only reason I went with gamestop.

bugs wrote: »
    Picking mine up later, if thats the case I'll be annoyed as its the only reason I went with gamestop.

Seems they have pulled a bait and switch. Went back and they called HQ who told them they didn't get enough codes so they switched it to online only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dmc-devil-may-cry

getting great reviews , thought the demo was good enough . might pick it up sometime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Any idea if the PC is getting a demo ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is this out today if so what are the prices like in smyths and argos and are hmv still going to stocking it?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Is this out todat if so what are the prices like in smyths and argos and are hmv still going to stocking it?

It's €50 in GameStop, €55 in Smyths and I didn't check HMV though they are stocking it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting good reviews despite my fears after the demo. This review though seems to back up what I felt after the demo:

Still it's the only slightly negative one I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Picked up my copy in GameStop, they maintained there was never a preorder dlc offer. Great....

Brad Shoemaker gave it a perfect score on giant bomb. He doesn't exactly go out of his way to explore all of the combat options in the quick look though. Mostly just clobbers enemies like GoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Are argos selling this yet usually get my games in there these days + new catalogue out sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Brad Shoemaker gave it a perfect score on giant bomb. He doesn't exactly go out of his way to explore all of the combat options in the quick look though. Mostly just clobbers enemies like GoW.

Yes but his attitude to the game before he played it and his general negative demeanor make the perfect score pretty big, plus he claims hes already lining up his arguments for it for GBs GOTY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BEST. GAME. EVARRRRR.

Advertisement