Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry reboot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

They're Twilighting the series

Yeah, because 4 wasn't a big gay fest at all.:rolleyes:

In fact, the only decent DMC was the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, at least we know one thing:

This is CAPCOM.
    They re-did Resident Evil 2 when it was 90% finished, and we got one of the best games ever.
    They prototyped Resident Evil 4 no less than THREE times, and we ended up with one of the most defining shooters ever.

I'm not too worried. They listen to their fans.

They listen to the wrong fans then.

Resident Evil 2 was one of the greatest video games ever made, 4 was another triumph.

What, pray, were they ****ing playing at with 5 then?
    Or with the constant, neverending embarrassment that is the film franchise?(NOW IN 3D!!!:eek:)
    Have any of you seen that Chun Li movie that was made not too long ago? Sweet Jesus on a tricycle!

How could a company with any real integrity allow its name to be associated with this tripe?

Also, Street Fighter IV and its Backstreet Boys style theme music?

Capcom couldn't give a ****e about their fans.

Neither could Square for that matter, but that's another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

The bit that I fear is the fact that in the trailer, Dante goes from some sort of spear, to an axe, then the thing can turn into some sort of sword on a whip. So basically, Ninja Theory, the makers of Heavenly Sword, are given Dante the same type of multiform sword, as the sword in Heavenly Sword

Wouldn't worry about it, so many of these early videos have little to no relation to the final product. It will probably be quite some time before they show anything worth getting worked up over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

bugs wrote: »
    Wouldn't worry about it, so many of these early videos have little to no relation to the final product. It will probably be quite some time before they show anything worth getting worked up over.

Ya thats very true. I was a bit quick to slate it too. Its better to reserve judgement until we have something solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Yeah, because 4 wasn't a big gay fest at all.:rolleyes:

In fact, the only decent DMC was the 1st.
    You didn't think DMC3 was decent? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The bit that I fear is the fact that in the trailer, Dante goes from some sort of spear, to an axe, then the thing can turn into some sort of sword on a whip. So basically, Ninja Theory, the makers of Heavenly Sword, are given Dante the same type of multiform sword, as the sword in Heavenly Sword

His sword could turn into a scythe and a spear in the first game, well only the Sparda could.

Proof from an old guide.

http://ie.guides.ign.com/guides/15620/page_3.html
    IGN wrote:
    Sparda - This gigantic sword is Dante's and his father's most powerful weapon. It is much more powerful than either Ifrit or Alastor, and it's speed is great. It will change forms depending upon what you do. If you do Stinger, it will turn itself into a spear, and lengthen itself at the last second to do 2 hits instead of one. If you do Round Trip it will turn into a scythe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

You finished the first one in one sitting? I'm guessing Easy Automatic mode. I played it a few times in that mode and thought it was an alright game. Few months later, I played it in Normal mode and it was a completely different game. Same for each difficulty setting after that.

The second game was unbelievably easy though. Its hardest difficulty was like normal difficulty on DMC1

I don't think it was, by my own ruling i never go for
    easy mode, always normal mode atleast :(

I enjoyed every minute of the game though, just wished it lasted longer >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Easy mode only came up if you died too many times in the first 3 levels. A friend of mine hadn't realised he'd selected it by accident.

Then again, I suppose maybe it is possible to complete it in one sitting on normal. I was just so used to easy that when I switched to normal it took a while to get used to.

And DMC3 was brilliant. In my opinion, the best of the lot. And I had no problem with DMC4. DMC2 was just one of the most disappointing games I've ever played though.

As a DMC fan though, I will get the new one. I survived DMC2, this one can't be as bad.... can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Would i need to play DMC2 to fully enjoy DMC3? Story wise that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not at all. DMC3 is a prequel to DMC1, whereas DMC2 is the last game chronologically. And even then, I'd just suggest not playing DMC2 anyway. It sucked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

When he said "My name is Dante" in the trailer, all I could think was "You better re-check that birth-cert, son!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dante was orphaned at 8, so he had to be doing something before DMC3 and i hope this'll be another prequel rather than a whole new continuity. He will hopefully be a more familiar Dante by the end, they wouldn't change the character too much as he's one of DMC better qualities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a whole new continuity I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I for one actually prefer the new Dante to that asshat Nero!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

tman wrote: »

I wasn't a Nero fan myself either. But at least when Nero was kicking around, Dante was still Dante.

tman wrote: »

Sacrilege!

Necro Thread!

New info about the story revealed:
    "DmC's Dante is a young man who has no respect for authority or indeed society in general. Dante knows that he is not human, but also that he is not like the demons that have tormented him throughout his life. Caught between worlds, he feels like an outcast.

"Dante grew up in various institutions, orphanages, youth correction facilities and foster homes but these were mostly operated by demons and often resulted in torture and violence.

"Dante has therefore developed a deep hatred of demons and authority in general but tries to stay incognito. He sides with the little guy, the victims of what he sees as an unfair society."

Taken from the Capcom unity blog.

This sounds like the worst thing ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You could pretty much make all that out in the original preview trailer.
    He sounds very emo...and looks it

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This sounds like the worst thing ever written.
    E7fSL.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And people think Final Fantasy jumped the shark. I am honestly having trouble trying to think of any other entry in a series I love repulse me to the point that I won't even be tempted to get it when it's cheap.
    If they were this stuck for ideas, surely filling in Vergil's story would have garnered some interest from fans.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Initially i wasn't interested due to the involvement of ninja theory, as i thought they'd screw around with the core mechanics. But from what i've seen so far they seem to have done a decent job.

As far as story goes, i really don't care that much, if at all. Short of some nice cut scene set pieces of action, i don't think any of the games will be winning awards for the plot.

As far as story goes, i really don't care that much, if at all. Short of some nice cut scene set pieces of action, i don't think any of the games will be winning awards for the plot.

I don't really care much for the story either but the core mechanics have me worried because it looks terrible. It's the same dull combat from Enslaved and heavenly sword with dial a combos and scripted combos with now of the fluidity or depth that the combo system of DMC 1 and 3 had. The awesome multiplier system looks to be totally forgotten as well but to be honest it just wouldn't work with the lame system Ninja Theory are going for.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't really care much for the story either but the core mechanics have me worried because it looks terrible. It's the same dull combat from Enslaved and heavenly sword with dial a combos and scripted combos with now of the fluidity or depth that the combo system of DMC 1 and 3 had. The awesome multiplier system looks to be totally forgotten as well but to be honest it just wouldn't work with the lame system Ninja Theory are going for.

The more recent gameplay vids show fairly free combat, similar to that in DMC4.
    Has launchers, delay juggles, enemy step and some new stuff.
    Chain grab seems to replicate nero's devil arm, i like that they've kept this.

Thats not to say it will play the same, when they release a demo, i'll certainly give it some time.

The more recent gameplay vids show fairly free combat, similar to that in DMC4.
    Has launchers, delay juggles, enemy step and some new stuff.
    Chain grab seems to replicate nero's devil arm, i like that they've kept this.

Thats not to say it will play the same, when they release a demo, i'll certainly give it some time.

I seen all the videos and it's basically once you initiate a combo you can't break out of it to refocus on another enemy and keep the flow of combat going or change up the combo and there looks like there's no reward for changing up combos, which again indicates that you can't. DMC 3 and Bayonetta this isn't, it looks like the usual rubbish combat that Ninja Theory have churned out in their past games. The combos look flashy but that's all they are. The difference between that and say DMC and Bayonetta is that the combos look flashy as well but it's the player that is creating them out of the moves available while ninja theory will be using predefined animations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Skinny jeans and Hitler youth haircut... why are we calling this guy emo-Dante again? He's clearly hipster-Dante.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The game hasnt been that good since the 1st

1st one was epic

Headshot wrote: »
    The game hasnt been that good since the 1st

1st one was epic

Will you stop, DMC3 is way better.

It's funny how it skipped from DMC to DMC3 though, You'd think that there's be a DMC2. DMC2 DIDN'T HAPPEN!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Could someone explain what was wrong with the old Dante? He didn't feature too heavily in DMC4 which was ok because Capcom tried a few new ideas.
    It's about money, isn't it...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Could someone explain what was wrong with the old Dante? He didn't feature too heavily in DMC4 which was ok because Capcom tried a few new ideas.
    It's about money, isn't it...
    Well Ninja Theory have been quite clear that it was Capcom who insisted on the new design for Dante and the world so it's quite sad when you see this kind of crap. As for the changes to the core combat mechanics, well as Retr0gamer already pointed out, this is one of the most worrying aspects of the game. I guess we'll see how it plays come demo time.

Personally I was hoping for some continuation of the sons of Sparda storyline. It was made quite obvious that Nero was part of the family in DMC4 so bringing in his lineage as well as Vergil's fate would have been my preferred choice over this rather worrying reboot.

Advertisement