Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Devil May Cry reboot

Options
  • 15-09-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭

Capcom have announced at pre-TGS press conference today the new Ninja Theory's "reboot" of Devil May Cry.

dmcr.jpg

It stars a younger Dante who may or may not be experiencing the events in the game for real, judging from his appearance in the trailer of being chained up possibly may be hallucinating.

dmcscreen530.jpg

ss5d.jpg

ss2m.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Short black hair? Although the pictures look pretty good, he better get the white hair by the end of the game.

And I guess this means we'll never get any answers to a lot of the questions posed in DMC4

On the plus side however, new DMC! And since it's a reboot, possibly more Vergil! Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Didn't 3 already do the young Dante thing? This is a prequel to a prequel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They are making it more 'western' I heard. Not a good thing imo.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Didn't 3 already do the young Dante thing? This is a prequel to a prequel!

Depends what they mean by reboot I suppose. Rebooting the story, game mechanics, or everything bar the general outline of the game. It's a shame though. DMC built up some great characters. That hair has to turn white though. There is westernising a game series, but that's b*st*rdising it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The combat in the trailer looks a bit like DMC I guess but I'm not a fan of it overall. While the enemy characters look typically DMC-like, the new Dante looks pretty rubbish imo. Fingers crossed there's a similar outcry to that seen when the new Cole from Infamous 2 was released and we get a redesign. :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

the word "reboot" needs to be expunged from society and the dictionary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Re-imagining can fup right off as well along with jailbroken.

Looks like the game is being developed by Ninja Theory. Not good news. They were responsible for the all style, no substance Heavenly Sword which was a stinker.

In better news, Ninja Gaiden 3 was shown behind closed doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

i like the new dmc dante and the black hair just looks like the game is going to be more darker then the last one which is a good thing

ps the new dante kind of looks like me but my hair is a little longer then that

Oh God... I just watched the trailer..... It's even worse than I imagined...

Smoking? Black nail polish? Stupid necklace thing? White sleeveless hoodie? No red coat? Something about a young offenders institution? Even the way he fired the guns looked like he'd just found them in a bin

Why? I mean, seriously... Why?

There was nothing wrong with Dante's style. Thats not why the game didn't sell as well in the west as in Japan or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Maybe he starts off with black hair, and then something happens to turn it white.

Hopefully "Western" refers to the way they're developing things -- Capcom have been pretty vocal about the Japanese resistance to modernising.

*edit*

I take it back -- OH GOD NO.

Is this the next DMC2?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is this the next DMC2?

It could be worse. It could actually be worse. They're Twilighting the series

I'll wait til I see/read more, but really not impressed so far

They're Twilighting the series

Sparkling Dante?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I'm all for rebooting DMC, but this major tonal shift isn't going to do it any favours.

We already had grim-dark Dante with DMC2 and that was ****.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sparkling Dante?

I see in the trailer there's a bit of white in his hair at the top. I don't know if thats when Dante's hair started turning white or if this Dante just put highlights in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wow! Looks sh*t!

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I'm all for rebooting DMC, but this major tonal shift isn't going to do it any favours.

We already had grim-dark Dante with DMC2 and that was ****.

Why does it need rebooting though? There's plenty of things that could be explored in the current universe. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Well, at least we know one thing:

This is CAPCOM.
    They re-did Resident Evil 2 when it was 90% finished, and we got one of the best games ever.
    They prototyped Resident Evil 4 no less than THREE times, and we ended up with one of the most defining shooters ever.

I'm not too worried. They listen to their fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gizmo wrote: »
    Why does it need rebooting though? There's plenty of things that could be explored in the current universe. :(

its the current "in" thing in entertainment

Well, at least we know one thing:

This is CAPCOM.
    They re-did Resident Evil 2 when it was 90% finished, and we got one of the best games ever.
    They prototyped Resident Evil 4 no less than THREE times, and we ended up with one of the most defining shooters ever.

I'm not too worried. They listen to their fans.

They also let a newbie director loose on DMC2 whose previous credentials was that he was a videogame journalist. The results were so bad that Shinji Mikami came back to capcom to make sure DMC3 was done properly.

I love Capcom but they aren't infallible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Nobody is talking about the worst thing. He has a Union Jack on his jacket!!:mad:

8OhWo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The western thing probably has more to do with Capcom announcing it will no longer be employing programmers or designers, and will in fact be scrapping them completely.

Instead, as part of a far-reaching managerial reform it will be calling them all “creators”, a move apparently intended to abolish distinctions in creative class amongst its game developers.

In other comments, Capcom has said it will be striving to increase collaboration with its non-Japanese studios.

Re-booting = last game didn't do too well.
    Re-imagining = we fired all of the old the team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is this the next DMC2?

DMC4 was the next DMC2 :pac: OK, not that bad, but the series has a spiritual successor in Bayonetta, so the DMC franchise needs to knock up its game after the decent but uninspired fourth entry. A series can flourish under a new creative direction - check out the likes of Other M or Mario Galaxy - but without Hideki Kamiya it's hard to tell where the series is going. Luckily DMC3 pulled out all the stops and was an amazing game, but this looks, well, lame.

d714fca6f091ba7489e83635b2a6744b.jpg?v=202200

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This reeks of "Oooh, if we made Danté have more 'angst', then the western market would snap it up!".

This. Looks. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The first one was very fun to play but i gave up on the franchise after the first one when i finished it in one sitting and returned the game the next day.

Way too short, but Dante was cool, why change it? Just put more into the games :P

You finished the first one in one sitting? I'm guessing Easy Automatic mode. I played it a few times in that mode and thought it was an alright game. Few months later, I played it in Normal mode and it was a completely different game. Same for each difficulty setting after that.

The second game was unbelievably easy though. Its hardest difficulty was like normal difficulty on DMC1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

This re-boot looks sh1te. Hopefully it gets changed. I'll be going back re-playing 1 and 3 instead thanks.
    I'm guessing Easy Automatic mode. I played it a few times in that mode and thought it was an alright game. Few months later, I played it in Normal mode and it was a completely different game. Same for each difficulty setting after that.
    I know someone who did that. The easy automatic mode didn't even have some of the monsters in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

Its a pre-rendered video with no gameplay, not exactly indicative of anything.
    Granted, ninja theory haven't done much of note and this new dante is off putting but until someone shows me a video of a running game, i'm happy to reserve judgement.

If they can base the controls and system on the previous games and perhaps build on it, they can dress dante in a tutu and give him a pink afro, and i'd happily play it.

• Advertisement

The bit that I fear is the fact that in the trailer, Dante goes from some sort of spear, to an axe, then the thing can turn into some sort of sword on a whip. So basically, Ninja Theory, the makers of Heavenly Sword, are given Dante the same type of multiform sword, as the sword in Heavenly Sword

Advertisement