Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback/Suggestions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That is also a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

As much as I love getting thanks, and as much as I hide my thanks-whore capabilites behind my posts of the day, I think removing thanks from YLYL would be a good idea. Even to try for a while and see if people wanna keep pasting random stuff or actually funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

themadchef wrote: »
    I think the removal of the thanks function would be a place to start.

Thanks function in there is crazy. Thanks whore's wet dream.

Just take it away for the love of God and let us have a decent content POTD every now and then. It will stop alot of the bítching too as once the thanks function is gone, so will the major traffic.

Good idea. I thanked the post. Irony much?!! :D

Seriously though thats prob one of the best ideas that could sort out the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Because if something is humorous to a few regulars but not open to new posters then it forms a clique which ruin threads for the majority for the benefit of a minority.

the only 'clique' that exists is the few extremely sad individuals who obviously dont like the chap. its amazing that out of nearly 13000 posts now, half of which are not even funny, only tallons seem to bother anyone.

how about just banning anyone that complains about something not being funny in future and mods could pm people rather than try to embarrass them. or does that make too much sense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Can someone please establish what is actually wrong with the thread? This problem is invented, the whinging is an indulgance, and its getting seriously tiring. No matter what is done there will still be a minority of people constantly complaining. Just leave it be, it managed to get to 800+ pages without a million and one new iniatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't say I agree with the idea of removing Thanks. It's a useful feature and would have to removed from all of Cool Vids & Pics. If there's a problem with Thanks Whores then remove them, not Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with the idea of removing Thanks. It's a useful feature and would have to removed from all of Cool Vids & Pics. If there's a problem with Thanks Whores then remove them, not Thanks.

What use does it serve?

I'm for removing join date, post count and thanks, so every post should be taken on it's own merrits.

Allows people to show appreciation for a post without having to quote it. It's also useful for flitering interesting posts on the front page of boards. Though YLYL's success has somewhat diluted this I still find that a useful feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What a complete load of absolute sh!te over nothing.

Personally I think tallons posts are mostly funny, at least the ones that stand out in my memory.

Generally I leave YLYL for 3/4 days so I can have a good 40 mins or so of scrolling through it. Yeah some jokes are sh!t. Some are funny.

Whats evident is that some people don't like Tallon (god knows why) so they decide to make an issue out of his posts.

The mod then singles him out in the thread. To me it appeared like a dig.
    Fine there are user directed posts all the time, but this is different. To me it was like some guy getting his head kicked in and a Garda showing up, taking a look, then kicking him in the balls and saying it was his fault.

FFS if you dont like his posts and they are not a repost just scroll on by like you do with other stuff you don't like. He saw something he thought was funny on facebook and posted it up. Crime of the century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

This is pretty much gonna be my last word on this, I have work in the morning and I'll be too busy to really focus on mod stuff for the next week or so. I hope it clarifies my position for everyone.
    Tallon wrote: »
    Have I once responded to anyone since you gave me that 'warning' to not post for a week? I'll answer that one, No!

Also, where are you getting that figure from? Are all those posts off topic? or are some NSFW, Nein11, reposts (Not forgetting the ones I deleted myself) etc etc, because I have 185 posts in that thread right now. Are any of them off topic, or are they all photos?

I got that figure from the modlog. I have no idea what they're of because I haven't checked. However, I know that they're all unsuitable posts fit for deletion by one mod or other.
    The picture got POTD, you think I would be a little bit more annoyed about that than some random persong on FB? No, I didn't care because it was a bit of fun. Maybe all the FB post should have been removed, even my original one, but instead you jumped on the bandwagon of having a dig at me, which as the mod of the forum, you should know is against the rules!

This, I think, is a part of the problem. You don't mind people you know personally sarcastically asking if you have Aspergers but when it's a stranger claiming you crave attention it's not okay. Which is understandable and that is partly why I think you shouldn't post screengrabs from your own Facebook feed on a public forum or in YLYL. When ibarelycare asked if you had Aspergers, I had to log into my own Facebook page and check if it was genuine or if IBC used Photoshop trickery. I then confirmed with dr.b over IM that she was just having a laugh with you. Otherwise she'd have gotten an infraction or a ban or something.

In other cases, we simply cannot tell if these are your friends or not playing around. We don't know who your friends are. When you're joshing about together, I'm sure it's fun for you guys but we don't know if they're being malicious or friendly or what.

I behaved tactlessly and I've already apologised if it came across as vindictive but I still think that Tallon's Facebook feeds should remain off YLYL. They attract far too much attention from either people who hate them or the thread risks degenerating into a chat-through-picture thread with an off-site clique. I can't speak for dr.b or Yekahs but I for one work 70+ hours some weeks and I'll be ****ed if I'm cleaning that mess.
    And with all these PM's I never recieved one?

I'm referring to PMs I received.
    This is not the first time you have made pics /memes directed at something I have said or posted in YLYL, and tbh, it comes across as you having some sort of issue with me.

Now, maybe this is not the case, but I don't really care since I doubt it would have any consequence, however, as the mod, you really should be more aware of what you're posting.

I'm not gonna get drawn into this. Assume I have an issue with you if you like but, I mean, anyone who knows me can attest to my snarky, sarcastic manner. Perhaps that comes across as me holding a grudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Not going to wade in on the Tallon debate...

Mods I think that the position on chat really needs to be clarified. I think some chat is good e.g. Someone asking why something is funny and explaining it.

But recently there seems to be a trend of people bitching about memes/ other pictures and then posting a picture so they're not breaking the rules.

e.g.
    Why do people post rage comics. They're not funny anymore, ylyl used to be really funny and it's not now etc etc.So I don't break the rules, here's a picture.
    Random lol cat picture inserted

These posts seem to be increasing in the thread - what's the stand on this?
    I love the ylyl thread.

I appreciate the considerable effort put in by the mods, I know it can't be easy or fun to trawl through reposts and quoting pictures. It just feels like the rules on chat aren't very clear cut at the minute and maybe it would make it easier on everyone if the position was clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I agree with :

Removing Thanks: Much like making the Irish presidency a voluntary position without pay to ensure that whoever gets the job isnt just doing it to fill up the bank account before fecking off to retirement in Barbados, YLYL should be made a thank free zone to ensure that its not just clogged up with memebase squatting ctrl+v jockeys who have less interest in funny than they have the raging horn for a big ol' "thanks" count.

I disagree with :

A seperate meme thread. : As much as I personally dislike them (Forever alone, Trollface, troll dad, The FUUU thing, BOLD RED TEXT! , f*ck yeah etc are , with one or two notable exceptions, about as funny to me as a fire in a home for disabled fluffy bunnies) a seperate thread for memes would just be messy.
    Plus, many people seem to like them - More than any other thing, Humour is relative. Scrolling past them to get to the real funny isnt going to kill me.

(Oh and personally, I would add the caveat "Remember: Funny in your head is very different to funny in the real world" to the charter though. Some folk really need to count to 10 before hitting 'submit'. :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

To be fair though, it's more than just a "scroll past them" issue.

Had a quick check of the last three pages, each had roughly 30/31 posts with pics each. (not counting bitching, mod edits etc.)
    Of those 30/31, each had roughly 15/16 memebase/ragecomic posts (or predominantly memebase/ragecomic if more than one pic in post).

So (of late) half are memes/ragecomic, half aren't.
    Considering people seem to be either like it or hate it. I think it would be a good idea to split.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I think the removal of the thanks function would be a place to start.

Thanks function in there is crazy. Thanks whore's wet dream.

Just take it away for the love of God and let us have a decent content POTD every now and then. It will stop alot of the bítching too as once the thanks function is gone, so will the major traffic.

I disagree.

If people post in the thread in order to get Thanks, then that's fine. Anything that promotes new content in the thread gets my vote.

And the whole point of the Thanks feature is to show appreciation for people's efforts. (Unfortunately, almost everyone uses it as a way of agreeing with people, which was not the intention, but this is due to a lack of an 'I agree' button.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Couple of very brief points from my perspective, fwtw.

I have to say I find it astonishing that with all these complaints, reported posts and sniping that seem to have stemmed from Tallon posting Facebook screencaps with people's "real names", he seemingly never received one PM on the matter. Not even one explaining why his posts were snipped/removed nor even indeed, one asking him to be sure to obscure "real names" from any future Facebook caps that he intends to post. That to me seems odd, perhaps there is a reason for it, but I can't see what that could be. Why wait until the mod (s) were "fed up of all the fallout from it" and then posted on the thread saying he should stop because it's "winding people up" - again, makes no sense.

With regards to Facebook caps in general, I think they should be banned when the user knows the people in RL, whether their names are removed or not as some people don't want their private conversations posted in YLYL. It's a totally different dynamic to post stranger's stuff as there is unlikely to be any repercussions. Would also save anything like this happening in the future of course and so win:win.

On the 'thanks function: it's a way of showing appreciation for posts and also shows people what's wanted on the thread and what isn't. Without the 'thanks' function the thread would have little or no atmosphere and would be full of replies just saying: 'LOL' and the like. Would also hate to see the banter and general good natured ribbing disappear from the thread as it is without doubt part and parcel of the good vibe that has existed on the thread thus far. This post earlier tonight being a good example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

peatcass wrote: »
    What use does it serve?

I'm for removing join date, post count and thanks, so every post should be taken on it's own merrits.
    Every post is taken on its own merits, nobody think that is kinda funny, but the guy is only here 6 months so screw him.
    They all serve a function, even more so for the mods I imagine, so they are prob staying, doubt they can be removed from one forum unless we make it like PI. How they bother you I have no idea
    the only 'clique' that exists is the few extremely sad individuals who obviously dont like the chap. its amazing that out of nearly 13000 posts now, half of which are not even funny, only tallons seem to bother anyone.

I've no problem with Tallon. But i thought his FB screenshot was stupid. As was the follow up. It isn't the first time he has done it but it's not just him either. People are always doing it, posting something to FB then throwing it up on YLYL the whole thing just smacks of making the comment for the purpose of YLYL. Which is retarded.

Setting up a joke for YLTL is beyond pathetic. I would say almost all of the occasions when somebody grabs their own FB account this is the case. If you say something funny on your friends page great, let your actually friends thank/like it.

There is also the privacy issue of posting your friends comments in public (they prob have a private page).
    I would be in favour of banning people posting from their own FB account or page.

People making their own memes comic is annoying at times too. I have no problem with mem comics (I made one myself based on posts in YLYL, different situation). But everytime something happens to you IRL thats annoying it doesn't warrent a rageguy comic. Esp when its a really rare inmcident that'll never happen to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sometimes I find pictures on YLYL funny, sometimes I don't. Some of the memes are annoying, I just scroll past, it only takes a few seconds out of my day. If I was to post something bitching about the posts I find unfunny, that takes much longer, and is much more annoying to the other users of the thread than a few memes.

The bitching and digs are getting a little bit out of hand. I report bitching posts, and they are removed, but I think short bans should be handed out, cos it often seems to be the same individuals wrecking a damn fine thread.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is pretty much gonna be my last word on this, ...

This is convenient considering you didn't even answer one of the main issues i.e. why, if Tallon apparently causes so much trouble on the thread and you don't want to deal with "fall out" from his posts anymore, was he not PM'd about this BEFORE you decided to put it out there for everyone to see? I think you made a mistake here Jaxon Wrong Asparagus and I think your silence about it says to me that you know you did. The decent thing would be to hold your hands up and say so.
    When ibarelycare asked if you had Aspergers, I had to log into my own Facebook page and check if it was genuine or if IBC used Photoshop trickery. I then confirmed with dr.b over IM that she was just having a laugh with you. Otherwise she'd have gotten an infraction or a ban or something.

This isn't even important anymore, but FWIW (and I said this to Tallon later on that day) nearly straight after I posted that pic (probably within 2 minutes) I decided I should remove it as it may not be seen as a joke, but when I went back to the thread to do so, I saw that you had thanked it immediately so I figured since one of the mods thought it was ok, I could leave it.

What use does it serve?

Mellor wrote: »
    Every post is taken on its own merits, nobody think that is kinda funny, but the guy is only here 6 months so screw him.
    Tell me Mellor, whats the minimum time served before I can have an opioion?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

^ Mellor is clearly saying that a person's join date is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Tell me Mellor, whats the minimum time served before I can have an opioion?
    7 months.

phasers wrote: »
    ^ Mellor is clearly saying that a person's join date is irrelevant.
    I stand corrected on that one, cheers.

Took the lad up wrong. Apologies Mellor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

My 2c. As an involved party.

Being very careful to avoid names here. YLYL is a mixed bag of fruit and nuts. Plenty of nuts and some fruity mo fos thrown into the mix.

If I don't find dog fort funny...fair enough. Some do. So if that makes people lose..fine! But no-one is put out about it and no-one bar the dogs in the pic can raise any issue with it.

There are two issues here.

1. A member carelessly posting FB grabs displaying peoples real namesthus completely stamping all over that persons right to privacy. I value my privacy on FB and would not appreciate anyone publishing conversations outside of the intended network of people. We all have Pseudonyms here, which is deadly as it allows us to post utter sh!te without fear of being called to task as a grown up in real life. As a result of one YLYL post I now know two boardsies actual identities (without even having to stalk them) as most of us use our real names on FB. When the poster of that image then repeats and continues despite requests that is an ongoing issue aka a problem.

2. An issue with moderation and how its done. Well no-one bar the involved parties involved on this can really comment. But in relation to that particular incident I feel the mods acted correctly and for the benefit of the users. Although I can see how that may piss certain people off.

The internets makes the world smaller place. You can stalk people all over the country from the comfort of your favorite masturbation station.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    My 2c. As an involved party.

Being very careful to avoid names here. YLYL is a mixed bag of fruit and nuts. Plenty of nuts and some fruity mo fos thrown into the mix.

If I don't find dog fort funny...fair enough. Some do. So if that makes people lose..fine! But no-one is put out about it and no-one bar the dogs in the pic can raise any issue with it.

There are two issues here.

1. A member carelessly posting FB grabs displaying peoples real namesthus completely stamping all over that persons right to privacy. I value my privacy on FB and would not appreciate anyone publishing conversations outside of the intended network of people. We all have Pseudonyms here, which is deadly as it allows us to post utter sh!te without fear of being called to task as a grown up in real life. As a result of one YLYL post I now know two boardsies actual identities (without even having to stalk them) as most of us use our real names on FB. When the poster of that image then repeats and continues despite requests that is an ongoing issue aka a problem.

2. An issue with moderation and how its done. Well no-one bar the involved parties involved on this can really comment. But in relation to that particular incident I feel the mods acted correctly and for the benefit of the users. Although I can see how that may piss certain people off.

The internets makes the world smaller place. You can stalk people all over the country from the comfort of your favorite masturbation station.

There were no requests for anyone to stop posting FB pictures until Frada's post on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

There were no requests for anyone to stop posting FB pictures until Frada's post on the thread.

Apologies, I got the wrong impression, I will rephrase.

When the poster of an image containing peoples identity, unwittingly or otherwise, does not take down an image despite being requested to do so. That is a problem.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Apologies, I got the wrong impression, I will rephrase.

When the poster of an image containing peoples identity, unwittingly or otherwise, does not take down an image despite being requested to do so. That is a problem.

Oh ok. I wasn't aware that someone didn't take down a picture after requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

This is what happens when real life stuff filters through to Boards.

It's pants, cliquish and destroying the thread for the normal voyeur.

Modding is a thankless job, no one makes 100% thought out decisions in life let alone Boards. Frada has apologised and said he behaved tactlessly, what else would folks like to see happen here? Clearly there is more required as the apology doesnt seem to be enough for some.

If it were up to me there'd be:

No chat on thread,
    No personal stuff including FB, personal pictures etc.
    and no thanks...

So when you post it, you post it to share, not to get wood from your thanks count going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

No chat on thread,
    No personal stuff including FB, personal pictures etc.
    and no thanks...

So when you post it, you post it to share, not to get wood from your thanks count going up.

With you on the 'no-chat' (people can PM a user if they don't 'get' an image) and also with the 'no-personal' stuff, but not on the 'no thanks'.

'Thanks' is Internet's version of applause and laughter, without it - posting pics there would be akin to telling jokes in a dark room full of mutes.

Frada said "I've already apologised if I behaved vindictively"...I didn't see this apology, but if he apologised privately to Tallon or if he apologised elsewhere and I missed it then fair enough.

But then he goes on to say "but I still think that Tallon's Facebook feeds should remain off YLYL. They attract far too much attention from either people who hate them or the thread risks degenerating into a chat-through-picture thread with an off-site clique."

It's not fair to single out one person. Either it's a rule for everyone or not a rule at all. But anyway, I think Dr.B has already addressed this and it's just not going to be allowed anymore.

As for the "clique" thing, that's such BS! I can't remember there ever being a situation like this before where someone posted up a screenshot of their FB status and then someone else followed up on it. If people thought it was "cliquish" or "pants" then why did it get so many thanks? This is a one-off (AFAIK) incident, not an ongoing problem :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've not read all the posts and don't really know what the issue is regarding Tallon, but in relation to the thanks and POTD thing, how about simply making posts in YLYL illegible for POTD while continuing to allow thanks?

I must say, I've never noticed any behaviour on the thread which could be said to be more cliquey than any other forum/thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement