Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback/Suggestions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

"Cuntess of wessex"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

i disagree. sometimes i don't understand the joke and others have explained it before i got there. i mean, i'm hardly going to laugh if i didn't get it the first time but at least i get to appreciate the humour rather than wondering if the poster has a sense of humour only rivaled by a brick.

I see your point, but comedy is subjective. There are many, many pictures in the thread that I don't find funny and I think this applies to all of us really. I don't care if I get it or not, I just move on to the next post. My interpretation of the charter is to post pictures and animations only and that's it. I don't interpret it as....The Laugh You Lose....But If You Don't Get The Post, Then Post A Question And Start A Debate In The Process While Doing So Thread. I just think this approach would keep the thread tidy and uncluttered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Tallon wrote: »
    "Cuntess of wessex"

Ah right i suppose i should of read it more than once.

I see your point, but comedy is subjective. There are many, many pictures in the thread that I don't find funny and I think this applies to all of us really. I don't care if I get it or not, I just move on to the next post. My interpretation of the charter is to post pictures and animations only and that's it. I don't interpret it as....The Laugh You Lose....But If You Don't Get The Post, Then Post A Question And Start A Debate In The Process While Doing So Thread. I just think this approach would keep the thread tidy and uncluttered.
    Animations?

Seems like you need to re-read the charter...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have no idea who the people in the FB link were or are and I genuinely do not care except for the fact that they were posted on a public forum. There does appear to be a clique element to this particular aspect of things which I don't want to see in YLYL again. IE the first shot followed by the potshot at you posted.... OK it's funny at times but it's a problem so we won't be having any more of that.
    I'd be leaning towards removing all discerning characteristics to reveal any aspects of commenters facebook identity and that seems the most reasonable suggestion so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The mods and Midnight are and were aware who the people in the screenshot were.

I do think its part of the problem and is akin to a group of people sitting in a pub and having 2 or 3 guffawing amongst themselves at some private joke.

Im sure you and pretty much everyone has encountered this before and its an automatic :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Success-Kid-INTERNET-SERIOUS-BUSINESS-300x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Tallon, I think you have a point about the pics mentioning you being personal and against the rules. Now, let me temper that by saying I have seen that rule broken on occasion. When people f*ck up posting an image others will sometimes make a gently mocking image capturing the moment, usually involving that paranoid penguin. So, in such circumstances, I think mods are willing to let the rules bend a little. And I think the images made about you were gently mocking (but that's just an opinion).

If you find the images offensive, snide or whatever then I think you should PM the mods and ask for them to be removed (don't know whether they will or not obviously).
    Also, where are you getting that figure from? Are all those posts off topic? or are some NSFW, Nein11, reposts (Not forgetting the ones I deleted myself) etc etc, because I have 185 posts in that thread right now. Are any of them off topic, or are they all photos?

But I have to say I can't agree with this kind of defence. You have 185 posts in the thread; that's quite a lot by any measure and you're also obviously aware of the rules or else you wouldn't be able to quote them. It doesn't matter if your post is NSFW, Nein11 or off topic (don't see how reposts come into it as mods edit rather than delete them) you're breaking rules. If 50 posts have been deleted then you're doing so quite frequently. It seems you want it both ways (and not in the good, sexy sense); you want the rules to protect you if something backfires but not have to follow them in general. Sorry, you might not be consciously thinking that, that's just how it comes across.

On the issue of the in thread warning that ibc raised I think it's a 50/50. As dr b points out, user directed warnings happen all the time, and it is consistent that moderation of the thread and users takes place on thread. It might have been wiser to direct the "new rule" to all users but would that really have made it any better? I've often seen people complain when it was obvious what and who was being referenced because it seems underhand. So I don't quite think there's a perfect approach there.

It Does matter if the post is NSFW, Nein11 material or off topic...

If one of my posts gets edited as a repost, I always delete it myself (For obvious reasons)

And sometimes things are deemed to be NSFW and Nein11 worthy several hours or days after the post...

You say 185 is quite a lot... Compared to what? Am I supposed to stop posting when I hit a certain number?

I've been contributing to that thread for quite some time, and a lot of rules have been changed or implimented over that time, so to say i'm breaking the rules quite regularly is very unfair

Also, how many of them were double posts? Sometimes I delete posts for my own reasons!

It Does matter if the post is NSFW, Nein11 material or off topic...

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Animations?

Seems like you need to re-read the charter...

Not required I'm afraid, I'm not talking about GIFs. I refer to animated pictures - as in cartoon imagery, I hope that's clearer?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Why?
    Because some posts I may not consider NSFW or Nein11 worthy, but if one person reports it, the mods could remove it

Does that mean I have broken the rules?

In my opinion, yes.

If I had gotten to the reported post whereby you posted peoples real names I would have banned you tbh. That's just what I would have done because that is totally not OK.
    From that POV the in-thread warning was reasonable to my mind but perhaps not in the context of previous posts. That's something you can sort out with Frada. Now we've stopped a backlash against some of this stuff which is also a positive however the source is yet to be determined.
    I would suggest in future a whole heck of a lot more discretion from many people.
    Reporting posts. Thinking before you post. Keeping the in-joke stuff to private forums or just to facebook.
    I'm starting to form a clearer picture with this discussion now.
    It's marinating.

Ok, but let me point out here, the original picture was not an in-joke, or from a private forum

It was about a footballer, and feminism (Which was a joke)

In my opinion, yes.
    Why?

Because you posted something that broke the rule and on boards you own your words; more broadly you own your posts. It is up to you to exercise due judgement when posting a joke that it doesn't break the rules. Ditto for posting screengrabs or whatever. It doesn't matter if your intent was to break the rule or not, you still broke it.

Because you posted something that broke the rule and on boards you own your words; more broadly you own your posts. It is up to you to exercise due judgement when posting a joke that it doesn't break the rules. Ditto for posting screengrabs or whatever. It doesn't matter if your intent was to break the rule or not, you still broke it.
    Getting a bit off topic now, but I disagree.

I posted this the other day, and didn't think it was NSFW at all, but alas, 24 hours later it was edited

Now, I'm speculating here, but I'd say the mods didn't ban me because they knew I didn't go in with the intention of trying to get away with posting a NSFW picture

Yes; your intent does not matter in deciding whether the image is NSFW and therefore breaks the rules. It does matter in the mod's decision regarding follow up action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Could I suggest setting up a Meme thread (more than willing to do so) to keep all the memes to that and keep YLYL to funny pics?

• Advertisement

Yes; your intent does not matter in deciding whether the image is NSFW and therefore breaks the rules. It does matter in the mod's decision regarding follow up action.
    You're completely missing the point, you said
    You have 185 posts in the thread; that's quite a lot by any measure and you're also obviously aware of the rules or else you wouldn't be able to quote them. It doesn't matter if your post is NSFW, Nein11 or off topic (don't see how reposts come into it as mods edit rather than delete them) you're breaking rules.

Why and how is quite a lot?

It does matter as I have explained above.

The point is, saying I have 50 deleted posts all for off topic posts is Bullshít... I have just explained to you how these could have racked up over the time

It's coming across as me being a troublemaker and having nearly 30% of my posts deleted for talking on the thread, which absolutely no evidence to back this up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Clareman wrote: »
    Could I suggest setting up a Meme thread (more than willing to do so) to keep all the memes to that and keep YLYL to funny pics?

Rule-creep?

YLYL is working out just fine. People just need to stop finding new and innovative ways of getting offended and annoyed.

Stop regulating.

You're completely missing the point, you said

You asked, given a specific example, whether your post broke the rules. I said it did and then provided an explanation. If you wanted to relate it to something I'd posted earlier then you should have done so.
    Why and how is quite a lot?

What does the question "Why is (it) quite a lot?" mean? :confused:

It's quite a lot of posts for an individual to contribute to a thread i.e. a larger amount than normally someone would. Certainly enough to illustrate that you are an active member of the the forum, active contributor to the thread and therefore would be aware of both the forum and thread's rules.
    It does matter as I have explained above.

The point is, saying I have 50 deleted posts all for off topic posts is Bullshít... I have just explained to you how these could have racked up over the time

Why is it b*ll****? If it happened it happened. Doesn't matter how to me frankly.
    It's coming across as me being a troublemaker and having nearly 30% of my posts deleted for talking on the thread, which absolutely no evidence to back this up

Well, I think it's fair for you to ask for evidence. I wouldn't quibble with that. I'd say it's more like around a fifth of your posts though; the way I read it you have 180 odd posts on thread and then 50 more deleted that you can no longer see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Keeping the in-joke stuff to private forums or just to facebook.

if he thinks someone might find it funny why not post it? isn't that the whole point of the thread?

its only an 'in joke' if you happen to know the people, other than that its no different to any other failbook screen shot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Denerick wrote: »
    Rule-creep?

YLYL is working out just fine. People just need to stop finding new and innovative ways of getting offended and annoyed.

Stop regulating.

YLYL is 1 of the best threads on boards, just in the past while all it is is meme after meme, some are funny of course (mostly ones by me :)).

Rules are rules, but I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo, What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

This is fukn ridiculous. I've been following YLYL since the very first post was made and tbh its the childish back and forth bullshít that has turned me off the thread so much that I havent checked in on it in over a week (i used to check in a few times a day)
    So some of th posts are reposts--so what. So someone posts screengrabs from their own facebook--who cares. Some of its funny, some of it isnt. Who gives a fúck.
    People are takin this WAAAYYY too seriously. Its a fukn funny picture thread on the internet and people are talking about it like its life or death. Get this: ITS NOT IMPORTANT!!
    Get a grip and stop bitchin about a poxy picture thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Clareman wrote: »
    YLYL is 1 of the best threads on boards, just in the past while all it is is meme after meme, some are funny of course (mostly ones by me :)).

Rules are rules, but I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo, What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here

Meme-Nazi.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Nazi-Cat

Ahem...

Seriously though, memes are part of the game, scroll past them if you don't like them.

if he thinks someone might find it funny why not post it? isn't that the whole point of the thread?

its only an 'in joke' if you happen to know the people, other than that its no different to any other failbook screen shot.

Because if something is humorous to a few regulars but not open to new posters then it forms a clique which ruin threads for the majority for the benefit of a minority.
    Similarly why we continually have to evaluate if something crosses the line to nein 11 or offensive material.
    Some jokes you'll fight for. Some not. I don't impose rules or snip posts to get at people but to try and keep things ticking along nicely.
    I think a think before you post policy is more reasonable as it empowers everyone to self-moderate and keep things fun.
    Some elements are there I'm not happy about because my instinct says the majority dislike this or that however I tend towards a wait and see approach as these huge threads grow.
    A problem will soon come to a head.
    Like it did today. It doesn't exist in a bubble. People shouldn't be knocking other people. We can take care of that. However if the negative element which is unpleasant stems from a dislike of a particular thing then we have to address that too.

Denerick wrote: »
    Meme-Nazi.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Nazi-Cat

Ahem...

Seriously though, memes are part of the game, scroll past them if you don't like them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I think the removal of the thanks function would be a place to start.

Thanks function in there is crazy. Thanks whore's wet dream.

Just take it away for the love of God and let us have a decent content POTD every now and then. It will stop alot of the bítching too as once the thanks function is gone, so will the major traffic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement