Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback/Suggestions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK Folks.
    My assessment of this situation.
    Tallon posted up real names of boardsies in his screengrabs of his facebook.
    That is unfair to those boardsies and we get a volley of reported posts to snip these.
    We've responded to these and to posts which single out tallon in an insulting manner. Insulting other boardsies is not OK. Yesterday and today. Posting real names of boardsies is also not OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Throwing my weight in ibarelycares retort to Tallons previous one is plain and simple just friends having a dig at each other, the bitchiness that followed wasn't called for really.

I'd hate for something as trivial as mates trying to 1up the other being the cause of ylyl being locked.

OK Folks.
    That is unfair to those boardsies and we get a volley of reported posts to snip these.
    We've responded to these and to posts which single out tallon in an insulting manner. Insulting other boardsies is not OK. Yesterday and today. Posting real names of boardsies is also not OK.

Thats fair enough, but this was uncalled for, link if it was a private matter that someone had complained about doing this instead of in a PM and making it public knowledge is that not singling out 1 person?

There's plenty of on thread instruction given all the time to specific posters. I think considering the fall out / reported posts that was also reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

OK Folks.

I apologised to the member in question. I literally missed the blanking out of two peoples names.

To be fair, I always blank them out, as you can even see in the original.

However, this is irrelevant, I think the issue that was being raised is from Monday (Not today)

If people are not aloud insult / slag / bully whatever you wanna call it, other members, then why did a Mod jump in on the action?

I don't mind people slagging me, i've said that before a few times. But tbf, I think people took it a bit far

If people don't find me funny (although I really can't understand how) then scroll past like people have been saying since the dam thread started!!!

If you get a reported post for something, and then delete / edit it. that should be the matter closed. But, if people then screen grab that and start playing off it, surely that should be nipped in the butt too?

I remember a time when slagging Tallon was funny, and not a chance for people who don't like me to have sly digs at me....

talloncomix.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I would just like to demonstrate something. I did not find Tallon's post funny. I did not thank it. The walls did not come crumbling down because I did not enjoy Tallons comic. I merely scrolled past and looked at the nice warm day outside, wondering why I'm on the internet at all. Then my consciousness came back to boards, and I realised that I still did not find Tallon's comic funny. Tallon can try again though. There is a one in five chance I'll find him funny in the future.

Can't we all just, get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Its you laugh you lose not 'lets all rip the piss out of Tallon to make ourselves look big'.

That forum is somewhere else.

Like the old lady with the hose said when I was a kid 'either you stop playing football in front of my house or I'll blast you with piss.'

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

There's plenty of on thread instruction given all the time to specific posters. I think considering the fall out / reported posts that was also reasonable.

I think Frada's post was uncalled for. Yes there is plenty of on-thread instruction given but, from the wording of his post, IMO he having a dig. After the various posts slagging Tallon over the past few days, it was obvious that his post was going to get a lot of thanks, and I feel it was just intended to humiliate and belittle Tallon.

He should have just snipped the post with a vague explanation, and consulted Tallon in private about his reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I like how YLYL has slowly become more to do with users posting their own stuff and making jokes about each other's posts. Always found Tallon's screengrabs funny, tbh the only problem anyone should see with them is that the names should be blanked out.

There's no need to single out someone because of their posts mid-thread. Do it over PM.

I like how YLYL has slowly become more to do with users posting their own stuff and making jokes about each other's posts. Always found Tallon's screengrabs funny, tbh the only problem anyone should see with them is that the names should be blanked out.

There's no need to single out someone because of their posts mid-thread. Do it over PM.

^ What i wanted to say but words failed me,

User/Poster generated stuff is what i like, Its original and mostly funny instead of rehashing the same stuff that would make ylyl stale,

People stumbling upon a funny picture is good and all but we have some funny posters

Hell just look at the Legendary Threads, and isn't it genuinely an irish thing to take the piss out of each other in jest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frada
    Tallon, please refrain from posting screengrabs from your own Facebook profile in the future. They wind people up and I'm getting fed up of all the fallout from it.

Really feel that was in bad form. If there is a rule against facebook profiles, fine let there be a rule. There was a later comment saying it was because names were legible, that is not what the reason stated above for removing it was though. If there is rules, there are rules for all, and if it is not a rule, then it is not a rule for anyone.

Ps sometimes i think his posts are stupid too... But so are others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

He should have just snipped the post with a vague explanation, and consulted Tallon in private about his reasons.
    allanb49 wrote: »
    Thats fair enough, but this was uncalled for, link if it was a private matter that someone had complained about doing this instead of in a PM and making it public knowledge is that not singling out 1 person?

Agreed, the post seemed more suited to PM.

If it had of addressed the forum as a whole and requested that ALL users try and make sure that they obscure people's real names when posting Facebook captures - then it would have been grand, but it didn't - what it did was single out another user and one that was being singled out as it was anyway. "Bullying" may seem like a strong term to use, but I have to say that it was beginning to feel like that yesterday and it felt uncomfortable just to be on the thread.

It is against the Charter to abuse other members and also to bitch about something that is not funny, yet both of these seem to be perfectly fine when done via a meme - that should not be acceptable in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,404 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the trouble with posters using screengrabs from their Facebook, whether or not they blank out other people's names, is that it makes it personal. Instead of being "Look at this funny Facebook conversation", it becomes "Look at the Facebook conversation I had". And let's face it, it's always funnier when we actually know the people involved, so it might not always be as funny as you think.

Then, if anyone replies, they are replying to that person. Whether pics are used or not, it becomes a conversation in the thread. In my opinion, if you want to post something from Facebook, differentiate each person in the conversation by a colour and colour in their picture and name with that colour. Then it can be judged by it's own merits. If it's not funny, move along. But people would be less likely to start discussing it.

(For what it's worth, I haven't checked YLYL for a few days, so I have no real idea what happened. Just sayin')

A number of people have been banned for insulting tallon already.
    Today I snipped posts to bring the direction of the discussion in here.
    My observations from moderating the thread for quite a while.
    I'm not here to mod humour so if a joke's crap I won't snip it. Unless it's a repost.
    My concern is that IBC's first reply post to tallon on his facebook or whatever it was should have been snipped in retrospect as it was insulting. I copped they were friendly and didn't bother snipping as a matter of judgement / figured it for light hearted ribbing etc.
    This has appeared to re-open the floodgates on this stuff which is most definitely NOT OK.
    So in general:
    What we want is reporting posts. Not people jumping in on all sides to turn it from a you laugh you lose into a you tallon you talloff thread or whatever / whoever it is.

I just want to evenly apply the rules and have people enjoy the thread and not to get involved in this he said she said crap.

Tallon posts peoples real names which caused a crapstorm. This resulted in an on-thread warning. Like the many other on thread warnings given every other day on the thread.
    OK you disagree with it. Raise it in the appropriate manner and PM frada about it.
    Step 1 in the DRP. We are all around long enough to know that arguing in thread is not OK.
    People insult other posters, even in pic format, this needs to be re-addressed in the general. It is not OK and even if funny / light-hearted / injoke should be removed.
    In the specific there are a number of problems here.
    I suggest Tallon follow the dispute resolution procedure right up the line on this one as that is what it is there for.
    So back to the general case of the problem of insulting comments / pics. We're going to go zero tolerance on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Here's my recommendation for the YLYL thread, can we not just totally ban any text/typed posts outright? With the exception of Mods of course. It is a funny picture/animation thread after all, so can we just keep all posts to pictures/animations ect. Fcuk it's not rocket science, anyone who breaches this should be banned. Ya just get sick of the b1tching shyte..

"How is that funny"......"I don't get it"......"Repost"(wannabe mod usually)

So please ban all posts that are non-picture/animation based posts, I think it would make things a lot clearer and the thread enjoyable again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sorry if this seems rushed, I'm just home and getting ready to go out again so prepares for a few run-on lines.

Tallon has had over 50 off-topic posts deleted from that thread in particular and has in the past been warned for getting into disputes with other users (a lot of whom posting pictures insulting him) in the thread.

All of the mods have tried to curb it by deleting posts or snipping lines. But then to open the thread and see him post another one with someone's name uncensored? I'm sorry but a line had to be drawn somewhere. I felt that by leaving that person's name in the picture (which is a massive no-no btw) Tallon was trying to embarrass or humiliate him in YLYL for deriding him on Facebook and I wanted to nip that in the bud. But I understand now that I perceived it wrong and I apologise if I came across too harsh. Or that I wanted to make an example of Tallon, which is untrue.

However, that the majority of the PMs I've received in the past few days and a lot of the reported posts from that thread stem from disagreements and digs being made from user to user as a result of Tallon posting screengrabs from his own Facebook page. Either in support for or against Tallon. And I still think it's time to end that from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Here's my recommendation for the YLYL thread, can we not just totally ban any text/typed posts outright? With the exception of Mods of course. It is a funny picture/animation thread after all, so can we just keep all posts to pictures/animations ect. Fcuk it's not rocket science, anyone who breaches this should be banned. Ya just get sick of the b1tching shyte..

"How is that funny"......"I don't get it"......"Repost"(wannabe mod usually)

So please ban all posts that are non-picture/animation based posts, I think it would make things a lot clearer and the thread enjoyable again.

i disagree. sometimes i don't understand the joke and others have explained it before i got there. i mean, i'm hardly going to laugh if i didn't get it the first time but at least i get to appreciate the humour rather than wondering if the poster has a sense of humour only rivaled by a brick.

also c'mon guys. it's the you laugh you lose thread. nobody should take it too seriously and some people appear to be taking it way too seriously. i tend to read through four or five pages every night and i've noticed some try hard behaviour for the last couple of weeks. a lot of you are taking pot shots at each other and most of them are not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Sorry if this seems rushed, I'm just home and getting ready to go out again so prepares for a few run-on lines.

Tallon has had over 50 off-topic posts deleted from that thread in particular and has in the past been warned for getting into disputes with other users (a lot of whom posting pictures insulting him) in the thread.

All of the mods have tried to curb it by deleting posts or snipping lines. But then to open the thread and see him post another one with someone's name uncensored? I'm sorry but a line had to be drawn somewhere. I felt that by leaving that person's name in the picture (which is a massive no-no btw) Tallon was trying to embarrass or humiliate him in YLYL for deriding him on Facebook and I wanted to nip that in the bud. But I understand now that I perceived it wrong and I apologise if I came across too harsh. Or that I wanted to make an example of Tallon, which is untrue.

However, that the majority of the PMs I've received in the past few days and a lot of the reported posts from that thread stem from disagreements and digs being made from user to user as a result of Tallon posting screengrabs from his own Facebook page. Either in support for or against Tallon. And I still think it's time to end that from both sides.

Did you discuss any of this with him in private instead of posting it on the thread so everyone could point and laugh at him? From your post it seems that there have been a lot of complaints about Tallon and his posts, so why haven't you or any of the mods talked to him about it before instead of having sly digs on-thread and letting other users have sly digs too? Sorry but it just seems like bad and very unfair moderation to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Corvus has the right idea.. if you let them (me) say a copule of words along with their post, it's not long before they're (I'm) at the same old bitching shíte again..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think Barrington has it right, making the images personal is the problem. By Tallon (sorry to keep dragging your name into this constantly) posting screengrabs from his own facebook profile, it looks like he's bragging about how funny he is. Nobody likes a bragger. It gets people's backs up. Blocking out all names (first and last) and pictures is a good idea.

(btw I hope my image didn't offend you the other day Tallon, I was only having a laugh)

• Advertisement

Have I once responded to anyone since you gave me that 'warning' to not post for a week? I'll answer that one, No!

Also, where are you getting that figure from? Are all those posts off topic? or are some NSFW, Nein11, reposts (Not forgetting the ones I deleted myself) etc etc, because I have 185 posts in that thread right now. Are any of them off topic, or are they all photos?

The picture got POTD, you think I would be a little bit more annoyed about that than some random persong on FB? No, I didn't care because it was a bit of fun. Maybe all the FB post should have been removed, even my original one, but instead you jumped on the bandwagon of having a dig at me, which as the mod of the forum, you should know is against the rules!

And with all these PM's I never recieved one?

This is not the first time you have made pics /memes directed at something I have said or posted in YLYL, and tbh, it comes across as you having some sort of issue with me.

Now, maybe this is not the case, but I don't really care since I doubt it would have any consequence, however, as the mod, you really should be more aware of what you're posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

phasers wrote: »
    posting screengrabs from his own facebook profile, it looks like he's bragging about how funny he is

I think that's the reason behind the hostility.

Personally, I think Tallon can be very funny...a somewhat quirky sense of humour sometimes, not unlike my own. And it's nice to see more original content.
    It just doesn't look good when someone is promoting their own Facebook/comedic skills...no matter how good they are.

As for a possible ban on posting pics/text making fun of other posters, it's a shame as it's mostly light-hearted and is taken in context. But it can lead to serious problems. Not sure how best to proceed with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I think Barrington has it right, making the images personal is the problem. By Tallon (sorry to keep dragging your name into this constantly) posting screengrabs from his own facebook profile, it looks like he's bragging about how funny he is. Nobody likes a bragger. It gets people's backs up. Blocking out all names (first and last) and pictures is a good idea.

(btw I hope my image didn't offend you the other day Tallon, I was only having a laugh)

Nah i disagree with that, i doubt Tallon is bragging about how funny he is, he just saw something that he thought was funny and posted it here. The lad was just having a laugh with his friend, and anybody probably would for a laugh, but your right that he should have blocked the names. Should have put 'Friend' or something instead.

Drag my name away, it's easier to make reference to someone instead of just saying 'poster A'

The reason I post my own FB, is because I'm sick of the made up ones from lamebook etc, and thought it would be funny to have some 'real' ones.

I don't just screen grab my own, I've taken friends ones too.

I'm generally a bit of an idiot, and love to have a laugh, especially with mates on FB. Like the way I got caught out by 'Niamh' in the POTD photo, that was just a mate getting 1-up on me :)

But when people, and especially a mod, start to make digs at people, it turns a bit nasty.

I made no reference to anyone on boards, mine was a screen grab of an external site Facebook.com and I can't see the issue with that (Except for the full names being show which I already explained earlier)

You, Frada and Midnights posts were 'attacking' a poster, and as per the rules, is not allowed.

I'm not overly bothered by your post tbh, it's just the constant snideness from Frada that has irked me a bit.

If I am causing such a nuisance and have generated so much hassle, reported posts and PM's for the mods, why have I not been banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Seems like their is a bit of a discussion going on here so sorry if it has been mentioned already. I'm just popping in before I have my dinner :) a seperate thread for memes would be great imo. I like memes so it would be great for me and others to just flick through one thread for them, and leave ylyl for other "funnies". Also some posters seem to hate memes so it would benefit them too!

As I said it has probably been mentioned but I don't have time to read the whole thread right now!

Peace out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am not going to give my opinion on this because as a former Mod of the forum it would seem like I am saying that I think the current Mods are not doing a good job which I don't, they have a thankless task and do as best they can

But I find that the answer to all life's troubles and squabbles and the current situation can be answered if you ponder the following question:

What would The Recliner do? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

What would The Recliner do? :pac:
    If it was any good it would stop getting stuck at 70 degrees and smelling like wet dog.

Wait....I see what you were going for there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

IMO alot of this crap comes from real life bleeding into YLYL.

Obviously friendships have been forged outside of boards which is great however the majority of people wouldnt be privvy to these friendships so when posters start taking screen shots from theirs or their friends FB pages to try and get a laugh it gets tiresome as there is very much an air of clickishness which pisses me off on any forum it exists on.Oh look at us,we're such great mates!

Yes,we can scroll past them but why should we have to?Keep the in jokes,ya know,in.

Be it private forums or your own FB pages because I and Im sure alot of others dont give a good god damn and dont want to see it.

That way you dont have to worry about peoples identities being revealed,people being "bullied" or any of the other BS that has been going on in the last few days.

The mods and Midnight are and were aware who the people in the screenshot were.

I don't think thats the issue here, I don't know scumbag steve, but I still think he's funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Can someone tell how this is funny? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71801593&postcount=12842

I just don't get it,and there is a lot of pictures like that being posted,if you do post a picture that need explanation then please do it on the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement