Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

slingerz wrote: »
    My undergrad degree isn't listed on the degrees for going into a PME course. What do I need to do in order to get it assessed for the purposes of secondary teaching?

You need it to get assessed by the Teaching Council which is €200 per subject. This involves sending in syallbi, transcripts etc. This will take a few weeks to do.

Have you applied for the PME? If you have and don't have a subject, I wouldn't recommend it.

What in your opinion should your subjects be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

You need it to get assessed by the Teaching Council which is €200 per subject. This involves sending in syallbi, transcripts etc. This will take a few weeks to do.

Have you applied for the PME? If you have and don't have a subject, I wouldn't recommend it.

What in your opinion should your subjects be?

It took them almost a year to get back to me when I had mine assessed about 4 ish years ago. They are far from efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

Check out the new teaching council guidelines for those qualifying on 2017 and after....just google it and youll find each academic subject teaching requirement...also you need to have 2 curricular teaching subjects to make this career path viable...its proving incredibly difficult to secure teaching placements for the p.m.e let alone how hard it will be to get fulltime employment....i myself am currently doing a one year hdip in history to add this to my academic subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

full time employment will definitly not be gained for at least 5 years post qualifing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

but its near enough the same in most jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Trinity PME replies are out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm considering post-primary teaching as a career. Am I too late in the year to begin applying for education courses in ireland?

I have a honours degree (pass) in business from ITB. I'm willing to travel to any college. Is the hibernia college good?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

Trinity PME replies are out :)

Are they actually? I didn't get any e-mail and my tcd application srill says pending! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Xios wrote: »
    I'm considering post-primary teaching as a career. Am I too late in the year to begin applying for education courses in ireland?

I have a honours degree (pass) in business from ITB. I'm willing to travel to any college. Is the hibernia college good?

There is a limit on how many Business graduates can do a PME since there is such an over-supply of them. I don't know if it's too late to apply, you'd have to contact the colleges. Be fully aware of the truly cruel job situation before you slap down your considerable sum of money to do these courses.

Too late...next december is next cut off for pme applications with late applications accepted up to febuary at a higher cost...at Ucc there is a 10% max intake of business students..thats about 18 students overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

BonCourage wrote: »
    Are they actually? I didn't get any e-mail and my tcd application srill says pending! :(

I got mine there over the weekend, I'm sure some subjects are earlier or later than others so you'll get news soon I'm sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

I got mine there over the weekend, I'm sure some subjects are earlier or later than others so you'll get news soon I'm sure :)

Yeah! For the interviews Music slots didn't get released for ages! Fingers crossed! congratulations anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maadear1708

Hey guys,

Just wondering does anyone have any information on the reflective task? my subjects are english and economics and I'm currently a ball of stress trying to figure out this task.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maadear1708

MandM wrote: »
    Hi,

I also have my interview on Thursday and am very nervous! I attended the open day in May and they told us that the 15 minute task would entail them giving you a set of four questions per subject choice and you need to rate each question by a traffic light system on how well you know the topic. The interviewer will then ask one question per subject based on this. Well this is what I took from their explanation anyway! Hope this helps and best of luck in your interview!

Hey :)

Just wondering how did the reflective task go? are the questions based on the curriculum or are they going to give you an exam style question?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shivpepper

Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anyone completing Hibernia PME receives any sort of allowance during the course. As there is quite a lot of teaching practise, and it is a part time course would you be entitled to the Part Time Education Option? http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Part-Time-Education-Option.aspx Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 adelicaaa

auskid wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I have my place on the P.M.E this year in U.C.C and I have my school got also.

Just wondering if the rumors about being paid for covering free classes, breakfast and homework clubs etc.. are true.

I have heard that even in when you are on the P.M.E you can register with the teaching council to receive a registration number for these purposes...Is this true.. thanks

I have my application for the PME in since December for UCC. Just wondering how you have your place already when PAC offers are supposed to be out April 1st?

Freaking me out a bit now that you have your school and all, is this the norm around?

Dont worry..im a deferral from last year..i had only one subject and went back to do a one year hdip to add an academic subject..i think they were about 15 people this happened too..we couldnt find teaching practice with one subject..so we were allowed defer to do a hdip..once off i think...then we were allowed look for placement before this years offers...be prepared for the placement chase i went to 22 schools before getting a place and that was with help from the placement officer which ye wont get...some people will end up with schools in limerick kerry and waterford and be expected to make it into Ucc in the afternoon to do classes.

So therefore offers are on the 1st of april with less places than usual due to this

• Registered Users Posts: 40 laser08

Hi guys

I am a qualified accountant who does not see a future for me in accountancy as a career. I would love to do teaching and I am seriously considering applying for the Hibernia course. I know the situation in relation to jobs for business graduates is poor but just how bad is the job situation and what are the chances of finding employment post qualification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

laser08 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I am a qualified accountant who does not see a future for me in accountancy as a career. I would love to do teaching and I am seriously considering applying for the Hibernia course. I know the situation in relation to jobs for business graduates is poor but just how bad is the job situation and what are the chances of finding employment post qualification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If I were you, I'd stick with the accountancy. I'm not sure about Hibernia but there is a 10% limit for business graduates on the PME as people with business related degrees are ten a penny. Just think of the situation you are in now? Are you married/single/kids/mortgage or are these things you want in the future? If you want them in the future don't consider teaching as it will take 5/6 years to get anything decent. The job situation is brutal at the minute and has been with a number of years and I think it will continue for another few years. Have you ever taught before? I would consider job shadowing (if a school would take you) to see what a teacher does everyday. I hope that answers your questions. Best of luck with your decision.

• Advertisement

Youll need a second subject apart from business related ones...hibernia will take your 12 grand not a bother but youll be more or less on your own...theres a reason why a 10% limit in the universities on business graduates....remember anyone doing commerce or commerce with a language or arts with economics will all be eligible..so your talking 300-400 people each year in most universities...even if only 50 want to go teaching thers only 15-20 places on the pme and they will all have a second subject...if your serious about teaching you should be looking at a one year hdip to pick up another subject...but again your talking 6-8 grand and youll get no grant as you have a level 8 degree...

Youll need a second subject apart from business related ones...hibernia will take your 12 grand not a bother but youll be more or less on your own...theres a reason why a 10% limit in the universities on business graduates....remember anyone doing commerce or commerce with a language or arts with economics will all be eligible..so your talking 300-400 people each year in most universities...even if only 50 want to go teaching thers only 15-20 places on the pme and they will all have a second subject...if your serious about teaching you should be looking at a one year hdip to pick up another subject...but again your talking 6-8 grand and youll get no grant as you have a level 8 degree...

Thanks for the response. I have done some texting before and loved it so I wouldn't be taking a punt on whether I'd like the job or not. I would be qualified to teach business, accountancy and economics so that's 3 subjects but you think I would need more than just business related subjects? Surely a professional qualification is likely to carry some weight in a job search. Also do you mind me asking if ye are teachers or what are you basing your assessment on? Cheers

Read back the last few pages and youll see where im coming from...also with the new 2017 teaching council guidelines youll have tp check whether you have enough credits to teach all the buisness subjects ...most degrees will only carry enough credites to teach either or of the business subjects to leaving cert level ie economics or accountancy and therefore they allow you teach business studies to junior cert level...all info here is from personal experience as a pme student this year and also being 34 with a lot of experience in other sectors....id advise you to read back my posts on this thread to see the realities of the pme presently....also my first port of call would be to google teaching council 2017 and u will get a pdf explaining each curricular subject and what qualification is needed to teach them...it is being tightly reigned in from 2017 so some subjects even specify certain modules u must have covered in your degree...hope this helps...hope im not beong negative..but after visiting over 35 schools just to secure teaching practice for the pme you get a bit like that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for the response. I have done some texting before and loved it so I wouldn't be taking a punt on whether I'd like the job or not. I would be qualified to teach business, accountancy and economics so that's 3 subjects but you think I would need more than just business related subjects? Surely a professional qualification is likely to carry some weight in a job search. Also do you mind me asking if ye are teachers or what are you basing your assessment on? Cheers

Look at the figures.
    Roughly 53000 sat the Leaving Cert last year (figures for English (both levels), which almost everyone would have taken).

Business 16876
    Accounting 6475
    Economics 5048

About 59000 sat the Junior Cert. (again, taking the three English levels as the total number).
    Business Studies 33176

So, just over half the school cohort take a Business subject at Junior and about half take one at Leaving, though of course there will be doubling up there.

Without a subject outside the Business sector, such as a language, or even better, Maths, you're not giving yourself much of a chance of hours, let alone a full-time job. Ludicrous numbers doing the PME in practically every subject as it is.

Meant also to say most leaving cert subjects state that you need a minimum of 60 etcs credits with at least 10 or 15 at 3rd level studied as college modules...therefore i doubt your degree will cover this for accountancy economic and business..also most pme courses require a minimum 2.1 degree or 40 qualifying points but some ie trinity is 42 or 44 which is a 1.1 plus masters...could be wrong though

Read back the last few pages and youll see where im coming from...also with the new 2017 teaching council guidelines youll have tp check whether you have enough credits to teach all the buisness subjects ...most degrees will only carry enough credites to teach either or of the business subjects to leaving cert level ie economics or accountancy and therefore they allow you teach business studies to junior cert level...all info here is from personal experience as a pme student this year and also being 34 with a lot of experience in other sectors....id advise you to read back my posts on this thread to see the realities of the pme presently....also my first port of call would be to google teaching council 2017 and u will get a pdf explaining each curricular subject and what qualification is needed to teach them...it is being tightly reigned in from 2017 so some subjects even specify certain modules u must have covered in your degree...hope this helps...hope im not beong negative..but after visiting over 35 schools just to secure teaching practice for the pme you get a bit like that...

Cheers for that. Appreciate your honesty, since you have been through exactly what I am considering doing. Do u mind me asking what your background was and if you have had any luck getting a job yet. I know the situation is bad but just trying to get sense of how bad from people with experience in the sector.

Thanks for the response. I have done some texting before and loved it so I wouldn't be taking a punt on whether I'd like the job or not.

I'm sorry but maybe it's a typo but was is texting? (Obviously I know what it is in terms of your mobile ðŸ˜႒ Do you mean you have wrote text books - this is VERY different from teaching a class of thirty students with various learning styles / SEN etc.)
    I would be qualified to teach business, accountancy and economics so that's 3 subjects but you think I would need more than just business related subjects? Surely a professional qualification is likely to carry some weight in a job search.

Everyone will a professional qualification - there are just no jobs so you're shortlisted on specific qualifications/experience/knowing the school etc.
    Also do you mind me asking if ye are teachers or what are you basing your assessment on? Cheers

Teacher with a few years experience in lots of schools.

I'm sorry but maybe it's a typo but was is texting? (Obviously I know what it is in terms of your mobile ðŸ˜႒ Do you mean you have wrote text books - this is VERY different from teaching a class of thirty students with various learning styles / SEN etc.)

Everyone will a professional qualification - there are just no jobs so you're shortlisted on specific qualifications/experience/knowing the school etc.

Teacher with a few years experience in lots of schools.

Texting!😹 Big typo. That should have read teaching! I do apologise. Good to hear that your a teacher, looking for good advice for people in the profession. And every business teacher is hardly going to have be a qualified accountant so it's hardly fair to say everyone will have a professional qualification.

Texting!😹 Big typo. That should have read teaching! I do apologise. Good to hear that your a teacher, looking for good advice for people in the profession. And every business teacher is hardly going to have be a qualified accountant so it's hardly fair to say everyone will have a professional qualification.

Do you not think having a teaching qualification is not a professional qualification? Being an accountant will not serve you any benefits - it may even hinder your chances of employment as you could be classed as 'over qualified'. And do you think that you would be the only teacher who would not have worked in other industries?

• Advertisement

Im only starting the pme this year the college had to defer as us we couldnt find teaching placements..its really hard just to find that....for eg. In ucc pme you go to your placement school monday and friday...on wedenesday ur in college all on tuesday and thursday its school till 1 pm then into ucc for classes in the afternoon...doesnt sound too bad unless you realise that schools on list of placements are in limerick parts of kerry the depths of west cork...they say it has to be within a 30 km radius but with the poor response from teachers within schools to mentor the radius has moved out to about 80 kms in some cases...last year my options were kilmallock and dungarvan...to be in college by 2 o clock...actually impossible....again read back my posts to learn more

Advertisement