Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK there is a quota on Business graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ciaran795

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me a bit of advice in relation to the PME and the Subject Declaration Forms in being eligible to teach subjects.

I'm thinking of applying for the PME and, from looking into the process, I have to declare the subject(s) I intend to teach upon application. I'm in my final year of my undergrad, studying a double honours Chemistry and Statistics degree, and hoped to be able to put down Chemistry and Maths as these subjects.

However, I found from looking at the relevant Subject Declaration Forms that, whilst I can teach LC Chemistry, I cannot teach JC Science as I have not done Biology at any point in my degree. To my amazement, I also found myself just short of the requirements to teach Maths despite having studied it for 4 years, as I haven't done any specific module related to Geometry (there was only one I could have done (in 4th year), but as I chose the Statistics pathway in my degree it was never open for me to take).

Whilst I would like to teach, I feel I would be pretty unemployable if I was only officially registered with the Teaching Council to teach LC Chemistry if I pursued the PME! Is there any way around this issue? I've heard of teachers before taking on subjects they're not registered to teach before but I've been told that that's being pretty much closed off now. Any information or advice would be appreciated....Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id definitly look into you would imagine you are very close to having the full deck with maths bar geometry, perhaps you may have to take a geometry module and biology module or two next year then go for pme again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dickie10 wrote: »
    id definitely look into you would imagine you are very close to having the full deck with maths bar geometry, perhaps you may have to take a geometry module and biology module or two next year then go for pme again.

You can apply for the PME regardless (they'll be happy to take your money!). But first I would check it out with the teaching council like Dickie10 says, just ring them up and find out what modules you would have to do as it would seem on the face of it that it is pretty close to chemistry and maths.

It only takes 1 subject to 'register' with the teaching council then it's up to the school to put you in where they need a teacher. In the space of 2 years during the PME you could get the extra modules (although with science subjects like biology I'm not too sure if you would have to do labwork so it might clash with times on the PME course.).

Anyway, I wouldn't give up just yet if it's something you're really keen on. It just might mean a bit more extra study (and cost!). Maybe prioritise the maths first if needs be as that's a core subject with a higher chance of getting sub work.

Now that you're in college is there the possibility of sitting any geometry modules in the next term?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭EveT

Hi there,

is there any info on the hibernia interview available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi guys,

I'm about to apply for the PME in primary education (Sept 2016) in Mary I and also Hibernia, anyone have any tips for the interviews, what sort of things I should zone in on etc? I've been really lucky to do a bit of work experience in various school and worked with a lot of different types of SEN, class sizes, nationalities etc.. is this something I will get to talk about or is more so why I want to be a teacher?

Also anyone in galway or limerick, did you avail of any classes for irish in prep or grinds?

Any information would be great.

Thanks a million in advance,

Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rossoc

Hi guys,

I'm about to apply for the PME in primary education (Sept 2016) in Mary I and also Hibernia, anyone have any tips for the interviews, what sort of things I should zone in on etc? I've been really lucky to do a bit of work experience in various school and worked with a lot of different types of SEN, class sizes, nationalities etc.. is this something I will get to talk about or is more so why I want to be a teacher?

Also anyone in galway or limerick, did you avail of any classes for irish in prep or grinds?

Any information would be great.

Thanks a million in advance,

Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 9 GraceM1

Has anyone sent in their application to Hibernia and received no call for their interview? I'm waiting two weeks now!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Exam results out Friday, will be applying for the Post Primary PME through Pac and Hibernia. Hopefully I've done enough to get the 2.1 :o

Could someone shed some light on the 2 month Gaeltacht requirement for the Teaching Council? A few questions:

Do you have to be working in the Gaeltacht, or just living there?
    What are your options for verifying it? Utility bills? An employers or landlords reference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Just wondering about a few things.

- does the job situation in Ireland look like it might improve in the next say, 5-10 years for NQT's?

- What's the reason for the number of people applying to the PME going down the last few years?

The late application deadline for the PME is February 17 and I'm considering applying to all of the Uni's offering it. I have an Arts degree from UCD with a Major in English and a Minor in Film Studies.

I have been working in the fitness industry and doing a lot of travelling in the years since I graduated and never really did anything related to my degree. My GPA just about qualifies me to get on the PME.

Is there any point applying though? English is the only subject I really want to teach (And PE but my fitness qualifications don't count for anything there). I hear teachers with just one subject find it pretty hard to get hired.

I imagine I'd struggle to get onto the course, then even if I do, I'd struggle to find any meaningful employment after the two years. I'm kinda sick of living abroad at this stage and doing teaching in Dubai/ Asia or somewhere doesn't really appeal to me.

Any advice would be great, even if it's negative!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

CM24 wrote: »
    - does the job situation in Ireland look like it might improve in the next say, 5-10 years for NQT's?

Can't honestly see why it would, every year hundreds more get added to the gang 'waiting on things to improve'.
    CM24 wrote: »
    - What's the reason for the number of people applying to the PME going down the last few years?

People finally realising the reality of the jobs situation/worsening of teachers' conditions (and pay) generally.

with just one subject prob wouldnt be worth it for the money thats involved plus two years. people prob apply because they love the subjects and career and working with young people things will prob improve in a few years, but its really about being in with schools more than anything to get jobs part time, if your happy enough to do subbing or other adult ed contract work from time to time to fill gaps then you could go for it. im not reliant on getting a full time number for a few years so it suits me and my lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 4 confusedcar

I'm just about to apply for PAC PME's now as well as to Hibernia and possibly Trinity and UL even though I only have a third class honours degree.

Since last September and until this May, i have been working in a school doing one to ones, having my own resource classes etc, but for a period of about 16-17 weeks a teacher was out sick and as it was only week to week cover ( and the fact it was mainly Irish classes and thats one of my subjects), the principal and vice principal asked me to cover those classes (2X 1st year/2nd year/3rd year/TY/5th year and 6th years).

Would this experience give me a better and more realistic chance of getting a PME in a university? or would i still need at least a 2.2 to have a chance?

Any advice would be great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I'm just about to apply for PAC PME's now as well as to Hibernia and possibly Trinity and UL even though I only have a third class honours degree.

Since last September and until this May, i have been working in a school doing one to ones, having my own resource classes etc, but for a period of about 16-17 weeks a teacher was out sick and as it was only week to week cover ( and the fact it was mainly Irish classes and thats one of my subjects), the principal and vice principal asked me to cover those classes (2X 1st year/2nd year/3rd year/TY/5th year and 6th years).

Would this experience give me a better and more realistic chance of getting a PME in a university? or would i still need at least a 2.2 to have a chance?

Any advice would be great!!

No it wouldn't. It doesn't count for the Nui entries. Hibernia will take anyone though so it should help with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Does anybody have any tips on how to prepare for the Irish interview specifically for primary PME applications? Is a fluent standard expected or can you get by with a reasonable/good level of Irish? Thanks :)

Boeing777 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any tips on how to prepare for the Irish interview specifically for primary PME applications? Is a fluent standard expected or can you get by with a reasonable/good level of Irish? Thanks :)

I know people who're applying to the Mary I Primary PME. They say that it's expected you'd have a pretty solid standard of Irish. Not fluent, but something above basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lexa15

Is the closing date for the PME Primary not the 11th of March? I see someone has mentioned Feb 17th?

Which college do people recommend for the PME? St Pats, Marino or Froebel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lani

Would someone new able to advise me here?

I am thinking of applying to do the Masters in Post Primary Education through Hibernia. I have an Arts Degree in English and Geography.
    I'm unsure how to fill in my subject declaration form. Due to illness I missed a couple of my exams and stupidly never did the repeats however I still got a 3rd class honours degree.
    If I have the number of ECTS necessary for the teaching council would they consider my absent exams as a pass by compensation?
    I have been on to both the teaching council and Hibernia about this but neither will help me.

if you have the ects credits to fulfill the requirements you should be ok. make sure to read subject requirements on website teaching council like geography needs at least 15 human and 15 physical, but i would say your covered. it would be quite hard to get into any courses bar maybe hibernia with a 3rd class degree though, but depends on numbers applying, i believe their down quite a bit this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 stressedcao

Hi everyone,
    Im currently applying for the PME primary on PAC. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for the personal statement form they want you to fill in. Does anyone know where I can find it? Does it appear when you have finished your application or something?
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

Hi everyone,
    Im currently applying for the PME primary on PAC. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for the personal statement form they want you to fill in. Does anyone know where I can find it? Does it appear when you have finished your application or something?
    Thank you

There's no actual personal statement form, you just submit your own document. The personal statement is not actually compulsory for the programme, but I'd say it's best to send one in.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

I'm also applying for the PME Primary, has anyone any advice on which would be better to put first option between Marino or Pats? Also has anyone any advice on writing the personal statement? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

Hey Everyone, any advice on PME secondary interview! Really nervoous!! didn't realise that we have to perform !!! They're on next week!

Thanks in advance!

BC

BonCourage wrote: »
    Hey Everyone, any advice on PME secondary interview! Really nervoous!! didn't realise that we have to perform !!! They're on next week!

BC

What college is that for? :eek:

Trinity! Sorry, should have said that!

Trinity! Sorry, should have said that!

Well feck :( I applied and they were talking to both my referees, but I've heard nothing back from them yet. I'll keep the faith for another while :o

Sorry I don't know any more than you as regards the interview, but the very best of luck! :)

Check your junk, mine was in junk! Also, English was released at 12. I chose music and I didn't get an email til 6!

Check your junk, mine was in junk! Also, English was released at 12. I chose music and I didn't get an email til 6!

Just checked my junk and sure enough there it was :eek: Thanks BC, not all heroes wear capes! :D

• Advertisement

What subject did you pick to do? Now I'm dreading the interview bit? One of my friends got an email saying he didn't get music! �� So they did shortlist!

Advertisement