Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

BonCourage wrote: »
    What subject did you pick to do? Now I'm dreading the interview bit? One of my friends got an email saying he didn't get music! �� So they did shortlist!

I chose Irish and I'm bricking it now about the interview. I haven't the first idea about the curriculum or that! :eek: But at least there's still a week to prepare!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BonCourage

Irish is my second subject! That's why I didn't pick it haha ! I'd say just have a look at the curriculum, maybe some language teaching methods or some **** hahaha! Can't believe I have to perform, I didn't realise that was a thing haha

Irish is my second subject! That's why I didn't pick it haha ! I'd say just have a look at the curriculum, maybe some language teaching methods or some **** hahaha! Can't believe I have to perform, I didn't realise that was a thing haha

English is my second, never mentioned anything about it in the email though so I don't know what's up there! And yeah I'll give a general kind of sweep over it and hopefully that'll see me through :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 confusedcar

I have my hibernia interview thursday 10th March for the post primary april intake, my 2 subjects are irish and french, has anyone any idea about questions for the interview? and if ill be asked both french and irish as well as an english part in the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone heard anything from maynooth yet for post primary?

• Advertisement

English is my second, never mentioned anything about it in the email though so I don't know what's up there! And yeah I'll give a general kind of sweep over it and hopefully that'll see me through :)

Out of curiosity, on the Irish interview list, are there many people on it! My friend is doing English and she has 40 people on the list - spread over 4 days! For music there's on 14/15 over 1 day! not sure if music just is not popular or whether they cut people out or what's the craic!

Out of curiosity, on the Irish interview list, are there many people on it! My friend is doing English and she has 40 people on the list - spread over 4 days! For music there's on 14/15 over 1 day! not sure if music just is not popular or whether they cut people out or what's the craic!

There's 20 people, all on March 10th. From what I can make out there's only one day of Irish interviews, but I can't say for sure! Each one's scheduled for 15 minutes, which shouldn't feel like too long (hopefully) :P

Does anyone know when the PAC colleges usually reply to applicants? :)

Yo Easca Peasa,

PAC for second level PME - NUI offers are out 1st April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ClareMongan

Does anyone know which PME employers would consider having the best reputation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Does anyone know which PME employers would consider having the best reputation?

Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭daithi09

I have a 2:1 chemistry degree and was looking into teaching chem/bio. Like most science degrees it's four years for the level 8, now with the masters added on that's 6 years to teach leaving cert science? There must be a quicker way to become a science teacher?

Is there part time masters available? I take it there cant really be due to the amount of time you spend in schools over the two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

daithi09 wrote: »
    I have a 2:1 chemistry degree and was looking into teaching chem/bio. Like most science degrees it's four years for the level 8, now with the masters added on that's 6 years to teach leaving cert science? There must be a quicker way to become a science teacher?

Is there part time masters available? I take it there cant really be due to the amount of time you spend in schools over the two years.

Hibernia do a part time masters. their teaching practice times are 2x7weeks and 1x10 week over the 2 years.

Maybe check your degree and see if it's on the TC list. There might be some modules that you have done that would qualify you to teach other subjects also(if you're lucky). Also it might be worth asking the TC if you needed to do any extra modules that would be able to add on to your JC Science/Chemistry combo (physic/maths/applied maths/biology). The more subjects you have the better your employability.
    After qualifying you would need to be prepared to sub and travel at the drop of a hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

You can do a 4 year concurrent degree to teach Junior Science and a Leaving Cert Science in a few Universities.
    When you have a Chemistry degree already the PME is probably your only option.
    It would be worth contacting Declan Kennedy in UCC and asking him if he can do anything for you.

Also be aware the the job situation is fairly grim.

Thanks guys, yeah the course is on the list all right, think I can teach math/physics and possibly bio as well as chemistry. However another two years of study and 12k later to possibly get a job subbing is a bit of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Thanks guys, yeah the course is on the list all right, think I can teach math/physics and possibly bio as well as chemistry. However another two years of study and 12k later to possibly get a job subbing is a bit of a risk.

Highly unlikely to be able to teach all four subjects, most degrees would only get you two subjects, although there are exceptions of course.

Corkgirl what did you mean Declan Kennedy might be able to do something for them? Just wondering what that expression means :)

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Highly unlikely to be able to teach all four subjects, most degrees would only get you two subjects, although there are exceptions of course.

Corkgirl what did you mean Declan Kennedy might be able to do something for them? Just wondering what that expression means :)

Oh yeah I meant I might be able to get one of the others along with the chemistry.. I did maths modules every year, I also did biology until 3rd year and had a physics module in first year. Not sure if I need to have them the whole way through college but it does mention on the application that if you have 10 ects from physics or bio along with a chemistry degree you may qualify to teach them too?

Oh yeah I meant I might be able to get one of the others along with the chemistry.. I did maths modules every year, I also did biology until 3rd year and had a physics module in first year. Not sure if I need to have them the whole way through college but it does mention on the application that if you have 10 ects from physics or bio along with a chemistry degree you may qualify to teach them too?

Sounds good, even if there are some shortfalls in the subjects, the Teaching Council can advise. You'd be able to complete modules along side the PME (hard work but doable).

It's a risky course to undertake, jobs are few and far between and obviously there's a huge time and financial commitment. I love teaching Science though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No you must have 60 credits in the specific subject up to 3rd year or higher with at least 10 credits at 3rd year or higher to qualify to teach it. You must also have at least 10 credits in each of the other two science subjects to qualify for JC science. The modules studied in any subject must also cover certain specified content.

I sounds like you might also have a chance with biology or maths depending on number of credits and content covered or you might not have much to add on.

But again, the jobs situation is dire. I wouldn't recommend anyone with a good chemistry degree waste 12k to spend years subbing then probably end up with a part time CID.

Sounds good, even if there are some shortfalls in the subjects, the Teaching Council can advise. You'd be able to complete modules along side the PME (hard work but doable).

It's a risky course to undertake, jobs are few and far between and obviously there's a huge time and financial commitment. I love teaching Science though :)

Just wondering is there a shortage of teachers in any subjects? I thought science and maths were kind of in demand these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just wondering is there a shortage of teachers in any subjects? I thought science and maths were kind of in demand these days?

Languages and Home Ec. Though most of the Home Ec jobs on offer are just maternity leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Keehar

I love teaching Science though :)

Hi, I'm about to start my PME in Science. I was wondering which Science subjects you teach?

I'd agree about language teachers. I think there was a perceived idea about Maths teachers being in short supply a few years ago when the media was talking about non qualified teachers. I suppose the advantage of Maths is that every student studies it and every school has to have maths teachers.

I teach Chemistry.

Hey everyone, does anyone know when we hear back about trinity? I've heard it could be early April, or sooner!

Hey everyone, does anyone know when we hear back about trinity? I've heard it could be early April, or sooner!

My interviewer said it'd be about a fortnight! Which makes it as early as some time next week! :O I think she was just estimating however, so it could well be longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

Hey everyone, I have my place on the P.M.E this year in U.C.C and I have my school got also.

Just wondering if the rumors about being paid for covering free classes, breakfast and homework clubs etc.. are true.

I have heard that even in when you are on the P.M.E you can register with the teaching council to receive a registration number for these purposes...Is this true.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭auskid

In response to a previous question about teaching subject teachers in demand....

A principal in a P.M.E placement interview the other day told me he has been advertising for a home economics teacher for two years and cant get one and he said Irish teachers are hard to come by aswell,,,,large community school in Cork City

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

auskid wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I have my place on the P.M.E this year in U.C.C and I have my school got also.

Just wondering if the rumors about being paid for covering free classes, breakfast and homework clubs etc.. are true.

I have heard that even in when you are on the P.M.E you can register with the teaching council to receive a registration number for these purposes...Is this true.. thanks

Historically VEC/ETB schools used to pay for anything extra. I don't know if this has changed in today's horrible teaching climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

My undergrad degree isn't listed on the degrees for going into a PME course. What do I need to do in order to get it assessed for the purposes of secondary teaching?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

slingerz wrote: »
    My undergrad degree isn't listed on the degrees for going into a PME course. What do I need to do in order to get it assessed for the purposes of secondary teaching?

If you click down through 'How do I register?' on this page http://teachingcouncil.ie/en/Registration/How-do-I-register-/ you will find the list of stuff they need. It's quite a palaver, including transcripts from the college(s).

Check the requirements in this document to be sure you're not wasting your time.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Curricular-Subject-Requirments-after-January-2017.pdf (.pdf)

Advertisement