Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

What generally happens with these public jobs is that they are given to old pals, and the whole concept of impartiality takes a back seat.. when impartiality should be paramount.

The investigation into Prime Time Investigates was lead by the BAI, who is headed by ex RTE head Bob Collins.... who was then put in the position of investigating the company he used to run, whose board is headed by Tom Savage... whose missus was advising the person who was slandered in the Prime Time Investigates program.

I wonder when they were all sitting down to engage in serious discussions about the case, did anybody ever get confused and think they were at a wedding.
    Callan57 wrote: »
    And if it were anyone else Terry would be vocal on the perception of conflict of interest & she would be waxing lyricial about how if she were advising said person she would have advised about the importance of appearances.
    It's all very incestous whatever way you dress it up. :confused:

Agree with all the above, except to say that this is inevitable in a small country, unless you bring in outside people for these posts.

Which is what happens in court cases involving medical malpractice, for example, where UK experts are brought in because our own will just know the people involved. It has also happened in the case of the current financial regulator (and should have happened with the previous one as well, so you wouldn't have this "green jersey" nonsense).

In the case of the BAI, you would need exclusively people from another jurisdiction and probably further than the UK, in order for investigators not to know investigatees.

In the case of Terry Prone, there were two arguments originally - one was over-exposure and the other was conflict of interest. The fact that she appears on TV3 where, AFAIK, her or her family have no interest, should answer that.

Possibly producers should refuse her. However, the possibility of being "well in" with her, so that same producers, might, at some stage, secure future employment with her, would mean a selfish interest might over-ride the "greater public good". C'est toujours comme ca.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

God I hate David Quinn.
    He's on now debating abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

land (w)ankers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think I met this guy down at the Supervalu selling genuine Italian leather jackets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Did you purchase?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think I met this guy down at the Supervalu selling genuine Italian leather jackets.

Ha! Is that scam still ongoing? I remember running across a fella twice in the early 00s selling leather out of the boot of his car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

mike65 wrote: »
    Ha! Is that scam still ongoing? I remember running across a fella twice in the early 00s selling leather out of the boot of his car.

That guy pulled up outside a pub I worked in a few years ago while I was at the front door having a smoke.

Asked me for directions to Dublin before telling me his was in a hurry to the 'Aeroporto' to fly back to 'Italia'.

He then showed me the contents of his car boot telling me he had to sell them there and then as he couldn't bring all these fine quality leather jackets back home.

Thats when I started laughing and told him to stay going.
    He asked me if he could flog some of the stuff in the pub. I said no, but he could ask the punters out for a look if they were interested. Most weren't, but one poor mug parted with a ton for a jacket who's sleeves fell to shreds within a week.

Meanwhile Valentino was on his way to the next town with his aeroporto story, a car boot full of crap and €100 extra in his arsé pocket.

He popped up as the subject of one of Joe's shows in the meantime and hasn't been seen since.

Turned out he was about as Italian as a bowl of rice crispies.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Did anyone hear Myles Dungan trying to discuss the US presidentail election this morning . He couldnt help himself , constantly droning on about how wonderful the Democrats are and how nasty the Republicans are . Typical irish media .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Did anyone hear Myles Dungan trying to discuss the US presidentail election this morning . He couldnt help himself , constantly droning on about how wonderful the Democrats are and how nasty the Republicans are . Typical irish media .

Much as I dislike Myles Dungan, I think he has a point on this one.

Oh for Gods sake! Who's this? Is it Miriam is it Clare? I can hardly tell one bland female voice from another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Miriam.

"beat him to death and then burned him alive" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Miriam.

Where's Pat?? I thought he always made a reappearance at the start of september?? :confused:

What the fup is this???? She's playing a record! Pat doesn't even play records... how is this current affairs?? :rolleyes:

Actually I liked that version a lot. (but yes :mad: music? its not 11 am yet!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

mike65 wrote: »
    Actually I liked that version a lot. (but yes :mad: music? its not 11 am yet!)
    Was that Ray Davies at the Olympics? (I missed if she introduced it!) Loved it.

He was.

There literally needs to be a "literally" jar in every studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Miriam taking 10 minutes of airtime to yak about yesterdays gaelic football match. Who says this country is f*cked?

btw, I Wonder how she took to being called "Marion" by what she herself descibed more than once as "Consumer Wizard:rolleyes:" Tina Leonard?

Did the GAA fella on the phone just call her Marion aswell??!! :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sudzs wrote: »
    Did the GAA fella on the phone just call her Marion aswell??!! :eek::D

yeah I heard that as well.. There used to be somebody called Marion that worked for RTE, but she hasnt been in in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ah Pat, it's Sept 3rd, for the love of God will you come back .... I literally, absolutely can't stand that fake accent of Miriam's on a Monday morning (or any time for that matter) and how many more records is she going to play???? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

europa11 wrote: »
    Miriam taking 10 minutes of airtime to yak about yesterdays gaelic football match. Who says this country is f*cked?

btw, I Wonder how she took to being called "Marion" by what she herself descibed more than once as "Consumer Wizard:rolleyes:" Tina Leonard?
    I heard it as Marium:confused:

Shows back to normal length today.

Zadie "my child goes to daycare..."

Marium of the 6 nannies "daycare?? what's that?? "

;)

Ok I may be what some of you think of as a leftie pinko liberal.

But jeebus h cripes, listening to John Lonergan saying that what kids in Moyross are missing is self confidence, makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

But jeebus h cripes, listening to John Lonergan saying that what kids in Moyross are missing is self confidence, makes me sick.

Over confidence and no fear is the problem with the youths on these types of estates

Over confidence and no fear is the problem with the youths on these types of estates
    One of the texters made a good point - what about the kids in these areas that behave themselves and keep the heads down at school. There is no extra help for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

I can imagine him lecturing some poor 80 year old that just got robbed and beaten within an inch of his life that it was really his fault. He is part of the society that abondoned the 4 young thugs that just assaulted him. If he had cared more about them as schoolkids they wouldn't have had to hold a hot iron to his feet until he told them where his post office book was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

touts wrote: »
    I can imagine him lecturing some poor 80 year old that just got robbed and beaten within an inch of his life that it was really his fault....
    That's a bloody ridiculous characterisation of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

That's how he comes across to me. It's no more ridiculous than the "Saint John" view some people seem to have of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I don't think it's that far off tbh, he's one of those public servants (like ex garda chiefs) who seem to know what has to be done....after they retire.:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement