Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

That Cox one and her scavenger hunt across the nation is laughable. Calling to people's doors with bills...leave it up teh environmental officers...it's bad enough we're paying one person to do it let alone a reporter and a sound recordist as well. Nothing ever seems to come of it either.

The cooking slot is so out of place (and who honestly doesn't know what a slow cooker is???)...it's a curent affairs radio show...leave the cookery demos for the mid afternoon Mooney shows or the TV equivalents, especially as JonathanAnon says during the most decent 30 minutes of the friday show when they have a panel who get interrupted for canapés or some other crap with 10 minutes left.
    Why is this cookery woman even on the payroll? (and that's not because she's not Irish btw)

The piece on NI shopping was interesting (but nothign there that any savvy shopper didn't already know really)....until we got the shill texts in after the 11 news calling for the heads of any NI shoppers to roll and for their pensions/dole/wages to be cut, disgrace, economic treason etc.

What a crockpot of a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Jesus who cares about some orphan that was adopted and then found his real parents???????????????? About 25 mins of it and now onto another 10 minutes of the most drawn out boring sports news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sealgaire wrote: »
    Jesus who cares about some orphan that was adopted and then found his real parents????????????????

Was thinking exactly the same thing.. We got a half hour of interesting, topical stuff... Pat took a break, spoke to Shane Coleman for about two minutes, then took another break... and I was thinking, is this where he heads off on some uninteresting tangent?? Then straight into that boring adoption story.. The format has definitely been changed to have less political stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Agree with earlier posters that the show is not what it used to be. The contributors really are a detriment to the show - especially Valerie Cox, and that unbearable Marie Louise lady.

Being in his early sixties, it wouldn't surprise me if Kenny has already planned his retirement date from the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pat decides to have a chat with pensioners today to see how theyre hacking the life retired.

a prison officer and a gardai.

yeah , thats NORMAL pat. whats the matter couldnt find any retired tesco shop workers on the golf course ?

a texter even called him on why he was only talking to PS workers but got dismissed out of hand.

jesus the vast majority of people would kill to be on those pensions and he's making out like theyre just subsisting. hell most workers would kill to be earning it as a wage.

shoddy shoddy work.

• Advertisement

^ Yeah that's a good point... The local guard in my home town area, retired recently from the "force"... The man is not more than 50 and look mid 40s.. He was straight into a job in Customs And Excise, for which he is now paid along with his pension.. ...

One of the things about pensions that really pisses me off is the way that ex public servants can serve the minimum amount of years for their particular sector (which can be as low as 21 years), then receive a pension while also setting up their own business or doing another job... This allows them to run their business with a subsidy from the state... and every private business has to then try to compete with them???? Surely this is completely anti-competitive...

ex-Public servants should be given a choice... a) take the pension and dont work or b) work in another job, and receive NO pension until they retire from work completely..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

The contributors really are a detriment to the show - especially Valerie Cox, and that unbearable Marie Louise lady.

The Marie-Louise O'Donnell one is horrendous. It's like listening to Avril "the famine was a shared experience between the British and Irish peoples" Doyle. Like Doyle, she's a stereotype of the nasal horsey D4 Fine Gael type. She's superficial, shallow, vacuous and inane. She dumbs down RTÉ Radio 1 in a way which I could never have envisaged. She should be on whatever is The Sun of Irish radio: RTÉ should not be it.

Kenny is superb - organised, well researched and really on-the-ball on current affairs. However, he demeans his entire show by having such a wannabe D4 snob trying to be something she isn't: a woman of the people. This is the same Marie-Louise O'Donnell who was on The Midnight Hour some years back ranting against the Irish language and stating that the money given to Irish should be given to ... opera! I really enjoy opera, but that woman, at that moment, was everything which people who want to promote classical and opera in Ireland do not need.

It's time for the producers of Today with Pat Kenny to raise the intellectual and educational level of the show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Dirigent wrote: »
    Nice book-ending on today’s programme:

John "I'm not really FF" McGuinness at the start, and
    Des "I'm not really FF" Peelo at the end.

I can't abide McGuinness - he wants the best of both worlds. Hopefully, the people in his constituency will see as much in the next election and evict him. I doubt it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

“So Valerie, you found a bag of sh1t. But the question is, where are all my listeners gone?”

(sunglasses on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Bonds heading for 9%

FF still LYING to us...

Below......Latest Image of Pat via Studiocam

english-bulldog-dog-muzzle-leather-dog-muzzle-british-bulldog_LRG.jpg

• Advertisement

FFS. Poetry. I think he's reading this and trying to wind us up.

Edit : Current affairs my ass, he is avoiding anything current today. Expect a rushed snippet of real news about 11.50.

The hush-up is on in Pravda

From the RTE website:
    Rock solid, right in the middle of the morning, Today With Pat Kenny assesses the main news stories of the day and goes behind the headlines to bring you the very latest.”

So todays show we have :
    Pensioners
    Ditchwatch
    Travel
    Another Tony Blair hanger-on selling a book.
    More organic spuds.
    Guy with guitar.

Since FF were rattling cages about being harshly treated on Frontline, the radio show has gone to pot.
    Has Pat kowtowed to his FF handlers?

Was down to twenty minutes today Poly... He took a break at 10.20, and came back with the Rubbish Hunt... nothing topical about it any more.. Not impressed Pat, not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Neil Delamares just gone down in my opinion for stooping down to the pat kenny show. But at least hes making kenny look like a plank for trying to be funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Unfunny Friday Pat Kenny style.

Watch out Joe :eek:

Its actually turning out to be a bloody good programme today.

Nothing to worry about after all Joe, the unfunny Friday monopoly is all yours.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Lapin wrote: »
    Its actually turning out to be a bloody good programme today.

Nothing to worry about after all Joe, the unfunny Friday monopoly is all yours.

I was gonna say too.

Good panel, well organised. Something different for a blowy November Friday.

I'm just waiting for Poly.. he'll be eating humble pie today.. :D This is what The Pat Kenny Show should be about.. oh hold up.. Mary Louise O'Donnell... wonder what we'll get from her today, Othello? Merchant Of Venice ? Maybe the pound of flesh reference may be apt in terms of the rogue bankers...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

bar the odd singing segment its a really good show.

in fact its probably the most brutally honest pats been in ages in some of his statements.

cant see the gov handlers being happy with alot of this but fair play at least were finally getting something meaty.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Puzzle35

Excellent show today. Finally some sense on the airwaves. Nice to see David McWilliams finally getting some decent air time and recognition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

This was excellent radio, this is what Pat Kenny is good at, and the kind of thing he should be doing more often.

Great to hear Olivia O'Leary too. She is one of the sharpest commentators out there, I'd love to hear her do more than the occasional drivetime diary.

I'm just waiting for Poly.. he'll be eating humble pie today.. :D

Great show today, I think Pat must have had a read of the thread:D
    Although I think it has more to do with DmcW assembling the guests today.
    There was no FF hidey holes today.

The American economist was particularly cutting. Just heard him again on newstalk now.
    I presume Tubridy will be grilling him tonight?

Tubridy has Gilmore on with him tonight, Poly.. Should be interesting.. It'll be like the Dáil, except with FF in opposition..
    Comedian and actress Dawn French will be joining host Ryan Tubridy for a chat on 'The Late Late Show' tonight.The presenter will also be joined by Labour leader Eamon Gilmore and Munster rugby star Alan Quinlan.Comedian Jason Byrne will also be dropping in for a chat. Musical entertainment will be provided by Two Door Cinema Club and Cerys Mathews. Watch 'The Late Late Show' tonight at 9.35pm on RTÉ One.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Rebelheart wrote: »
    The Marie-Louise O'Donnell one is horrendous. It's like listening to Avril "the famine was a shared experience between the British and Irish peoples" Doyle. Like Doyle, she's a stereotype of the nasal horsey D4 Fine Gael type. She's superficial, shallow, vacuous and inane. She dumbs down RTÉ Radio 1 in a way which I could never have envisaged. She should be on whatever is The Sun of Irish radio: RTÉ should not be it.

Kenny is superb - organised, well researched and really on-the-ball on current affairs. However, he demeans his entire show by having such a wannabe D4 snob trying to be something she isn't: a woman of the people. This is the same Marie-Louise O'Donnell who was on The Midnight Hour some years back ranting against the Irish language and stating that the money given to Irish should be given to ... opera! I really enjoy opera, but that woman, at that moment, was everything which people who want to promote classical and opera in Ireland do not need.

It's time for the producers of Today with Pat Kenny to raise the intellectual and educational level of the show.

She does drive me mad sometimes but comparing her to Avril Doyle....oh that's cruel.;)

I've heard a couple of good pieces she's done on the show. Credit where credits due, I thought the report on the day care centre for the elderley this week was very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Poly wrote: »

The American economist was particularly cutting.
    I liked the line - the 11% still supporting Cowen in the polls would be the easiest people in the world for a con artist to con.

20 mins of current affairs, now the Perfumo affair.

I think Friday's show was more down to DmcW rather than RTE.
    Now back in Montrose, we are staying on message.

Paddy O'Gorman spend more time hanging around dole offices and homeless shelters than any tramp I've ever come across.

Lapin wrote: »
    Paddy O'Gorman spend more time hanging around dole offices and homeless shelters than any tramp I've ever come across.

He's tapping them up for money for a new hat...

Pat got loads of compliments on Friday's live current affairs....... so no doubt we'll now be having some yank on the phone promoting his book on the significance of the potato in contemporary opera..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

He's tapping them up for money for a new hat...

Pat got loads of compliments on Friday's live current affairs....... so no doubt we'll now be having some yank on the phone promoting his book on the significance of the potato in contemporary opera..

Not far off, however he seems to be British...

turning over....:(

• Advertisement

He's stealing from Moncreiff now.

Moncreiff always gets good craic out of this guy, Mick O'Hare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement