Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Yesterday Irish Bond rates hit a record level and the EU were meeting to discuss ways to take voting rights off small nations like Ireland. But Myles couldnt fit it into RTE's flagship current affairs show with the pressing need to discuss survivalist gardening, nappie prices and CSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Sean O' Rouke would be a much better stand-in for PK. Myles has me reaching for the dial within 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Could Mary Louise O'Donnell not go to create writing classes or drama classes if she needs to get this out of her system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

WTF was that all about ?

seriously what was the public service in that peice about some evangelist ?

there was something borderline offensive about the way it was done too, almost mocking - particularly with your wan doing all the accents.

i think pats losing the plot. this was almost something i'd expect from turbidy at his most politically unaware (remember the "have you ever met working class people " routine )

:)

Why doesnt Pat give a bit of his field to build a school on..

• Advertisement

Whoo-hooo, Ditch watch!!

What will we find today? bottles, cans and other sh1te

for gods sake he's back on the bloody rubbish again !

oh if ONLY there was something serious going on in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given how dirty the Irish are I think the ongoing campiagn is reasonable.

Is Pat avoiding the bye-election issue today?

Poly wrote: »
    Is Pat avoiding the bye-election issue today?

Dont know Poly.... but knowing Pat, I wouldnt be surprised if a band who looked similar to this was in studio to give us two chicken-pickin' songs before the end of the program....

Hayseed_Dixie__wideweb__430x213.jpg

• Advertisement

ah now here. whats a court case leading to a by election and supreme court challenge got to do with the national interest when theres nappies in bushes to be tackled !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ah now here. whats a court case leading to a by election and supreme court challenge got to do with the national interest when theres nappies in bushes to be tackled !

you mustn't have been listening yesterday no? The day the judgement was actually handed down?

tbh wrote: »
    you mustn't have been listening yesterday no? The day the judgement was actually handed down?

Yeah, but it's still a developing story:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1104/donegal.html

Rte's flagship current affairs show should really be all over this

yup.

yesterday it was happening live, today shouldve been the time to have some guest on talking about the ramifications of it.

if VB can do it that night , kenny can cobble something together a full 24 hours later.

i mean listen to the crap he's going on about now.

is anyone interested in what that old biddy is going on about?

think of the comedy gold were missing if he'dve got eoin harris on !

FFS, Government actively conspiring in denying people democracy and PK gives us spuds
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yup.

yesterday it was happening live, today shouldve been the time to have some guest on talking about the ramifications of it.

if VB can do it that night , kenny can cobble something together a full 24 hours later.

i mean listen to the crap he's going on about now.

is anyone interested in what that old biddy is going on about?

think of the comedy gold were missing if he'dve got eoin harris on !

In fairness, there's nothing really new that can be brought to it - it's been discussed to death on all the shows yesterday. Granted, I didn't know about fine gael getting involved, but all the analysis has been done.

having said that, no, I'm not interested in the spuds thing either, and yes, I would prefer by-election analysis to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Here we go, a token 5 mins.

gas isnt it.

didnt know the house was suspended twice today.

by the by, if anyones interested our 10yr bonds near hit 8% today during pats show.

apparently thats not news either.

by the by, if anyones interested our 10yr bonds near hit 8% today during pats show.

8% . Game over, please insert €70 billion to continue

• Advertisement

At 12. Newstalk went to Donegal first, now the bond rate story within 20mins.

PK show was a failure today. Has Pat been muzzled?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

`Yea I'd say RTE were told to ignore it. BUt saying that, Pat kenny show has gotten very 'lightweight' I must say

i must admit.

the potatoes section was a bit mad.

i mean WTF was that all about considering the day thats in it ?

fillers ok for the silly season but theres genuine news breaking and developing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Kenny's show is rapidly going downhill. The second hour was always a bore but now it seems its creeping into the first hour too. And there's no other station to turn to mid morning current affairs wise.

telekon wrote: »
    The second hour was always a bore but now it seems its creeping into the first hour too.

yeah I noticed this too... it's fast becoming the case that only the first half hour of the program is topical or interesting... The rest of the show is
    - something US-related or
    - somebody talking about a book
    - some hayseed band
    - the lovely Ella talking agriculture
    - Mary Louise O'Donnell's Drama Society..
    - Valerie Cox's rubbish hunt..
    - Tina Leonard reading from "The Dummies Guide To Consumer Affairs"

boring, boring, boring... cmon Pat you're turning into Tubridy ffs..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If ever a programme has succumbed to the culture of "dumbing down" in recent months it's Today with Pat Kenny.

According to the programme's own website "....Pat Kenny assesses the main news stories of the day and goes behind the headlines to bring you the very latest."

On most days now, this only holds true for the first half an hour. After that the programme can degenerate into a kind of magazine type radio show which tries to be all things to few people. A bit like RTE television's Afternoon Show on the wireless.

Today's programme was a perfect example. Excellent opening report into the failure of the Department of Education to deliver on their budget, followed by some mediocre stuff, followed by a load of rubbish.

Pat Kenny has often questioned TDs in relation to the number of (or lack of) sitting days in Dáil Éireann. Yet when something of interest was actually taking place there while he was on air, the PK show was down in Leitrim or somewhere talking about spuds.

Maybe thats what they mean by "going behind the headlines".
    Along way behind them. And hardly an assessment of "the main news stories of the day" that listners expect from a flagship current affairs programme.

Perhaps the trend towards a lifestyle type show with less emphasis on real news is out of Pat Kenny's hands. I could say that he deserves better as one of the best broadcasters on radio. In fact he does, and more importantly, so does the listener. But the unfortunate thing is that the presenter seems comfortable and totally at ease with the dumbing down of his own programme.

very good item at the moment on the permanent government.

but then again its the first half hour like you guys pointed out.

proof of the pudding will be to see where he goes after this.

still, riviting stuff about what goes on behind the scenes in gov depts.

proof of the pudding will be to see where he goes after this.
    It's friday, he will cut the weekly review short to bring on the yer wan, the perky little chef, to tell us how to correctly serve fresh lobster vol-u-vents dressed with a drizzling of 1954 port combined with a reduction of quails testicles.

Yeah, I dont get the whole cooking thing either.. They bring in four (usually high enough profile) guests.. and then cut them short lest she might burn the spuds... You think they would give them at least 45 minutes.. it's probably the best part of the show in the whole week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Nice book-ending on today’s programme:

John "I'm not really FF" McGuinness at the start, and
    Des "I'm not really FF" Peelo at the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement