Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    JAnongate ^^^ :pac:

227970.jpg

The only JAnongate is the same as everybody else in Kildare. For keeping the sheep in.. :o OUT

I dont think there anything hugely wrong with what Jim Walsh said. He was simply quoting somebody else, and nothing he said was untrue with regard to the abortion process.

I hate the way the word unfortunate has become the easy out for cowardly contributors to essentially not give a direct opinion when they are asked for one.. Like Ivan Bacik did just there... Instead of saying "I think what he said is a disgrace", she uses that mealy mouthed phrase "I think what he said was unfortunate". What he said had nothing to do with fortune. It wasnt bad luck. He said what he said because he meant it. Pat should pick them up on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Yup.

Bloke had a point about the sanitisation of the language around the whole subject.

It reminded me of that primetime (?) Episode where a bunch of talking heads were having a lovely time discussing child rape by priests and it took a guy in the audience telling us what happened to him to hammer through the reality of it. giving us IMO the most riviting 5 min of telly I'd seen in years .

He left the pannel embarresed by showing them while they were talking about it for weeks they really didn't get it ay all .

Very strong parallels here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Yup.

Bloke had a point about the sanitisation of the language around the whole subject.

It reminded me of that primetime (?) Episode where a bunch of talking heads were having a lovely time discussing child rape by priests and it took a guy in the audience telling us what happened to him to hammer through the reality of it. giving us IMO the most riviting 5 min of telly I'd seen in years .

He left the pannel embarresed by showing them while they were talking about it for weeks they really didn't get it ay all .

Very strong parallels here.
    I think your referring to Michael O'Brien's appearance on 'Questions and Answers' in 2009.

He gave an incredibly moving account of the abuse he suffered as a child in an industrial school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think your referring to Michael O'Brien's appearance on 'Questions and Answers' in 2009.

It turned out that fellow had also spoken in an unsanitised fashion about how great his time in the industrial school was and then apparently changed his unsanitised story once compensation was on the table.

http://www.nationalist.ie/news/local-news/o-brien-accused-of-betraying-abuse-victimsn-former-mayor-hurt-by-vindictive-attack-1-2252769

When you are dealing with politicians (be they senators, TDs or local Mayors) there is no such thing as "unsanitised" language. It's all thought out to make a point at the time.

• Advertisement

FFS pat what is it with you and the diddly eye music !

And todays show is brought to us by the lab party and the " tax for pat " campaign .

Je-sus

Theyre practically saying filthy foreign broadcasters , coming in here stealing our ad revenue.

This is shameless stuff

And that boys and girls , is WHY the government want to remain involved in broadcasting.

Are we seriously ment to believe no one text pat to say RTE should be privatised.

No one ?

Propaganda at its finest. No wonder RTE were the last to tell us the IMF was coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

That Donegal lady is one feisty lady & she is absolutely right, prison is too easy for those cowardly thugs. :mad:

It's a typical public service response.. We arent getting the same money in, so it's obviously a problem with people not paying enough, and nothing to do with Tubridy, Mary Wilson, John Murray, George Lee any of the other sacred cows in the organisation.. And nothing to do with all the money they had to pay for those court cases..

Same as the council, bring in water tax without fixing all the leaks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

These scum should be shipped off to an island off the coast and left to fend for themselves. Or better still, drop a truckload of them off and let them fight it out, Battle Royale style.

It sort of slowed down in momentum... appropriately enough.

I wonder is Barry O'Leary interested in the reasons why this chap didnt want to set up his company here, or is he busy slapping himself about the latest bunch of short term jobs he's created?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Travellers ??

I'm shocked .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Cops are useless, they should be set targets for arrests, tickets and asbos, same as the rest of us have targets to meet in our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

the_monkey wrote: »
    Travellers ??

I'm shocked .

careful-now.jpg

Disgraceful that these gurrier families are getting rental allowances?

Infact I would immediately stop ANY allowances they are getting from the state - including child benefit - as clearly these families are not looking after their children & bringing them up in any sort of acceptable manner.
    As with the earlier discussion with Minister Burton these state supports are actually supporting and indirectly encouaging these behaviours.

In the first segment we had the Minister for Welfare refusing to do anything to reduce welfare and stop it being a lifestyle choice.

And 15 minutes later we had the result of this "ahh sure poor them give them a few more grants there" attitude. If these lads were forced to go out and work for a living they wouldn't have time to terrorise their neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Beaker is very cranky these days.

A blow by blow account of a forceps delivery, and many other procedures that take place in a delivery ward, would be equally gruesome and traumatic to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Beaker is very cranky these days.

If you had to listen to Aver idle Power every morning you would be too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

touts wrote: »
    In the first segment we had the Minister for Welfare refusing to do anything to reduce welfare and stop it being a lifestyle choice.

Maybe that's because for the vast majority of people on welfare it is not a choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Brian o Domhnal the weasel that uses your taxes to buy time for his legal defence , demanding that the documents be presented to him as gaeilge

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ff-senator-demands-probe-into-expenses-is-conducted-in-irish-29329236.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I was having a lie in this morning (heavy night), but Beaker woke me up. :mad:

Maybe that's because for the vast majority of people on welfare it is not a choice.

I'll lay good odds that the guys tearing up that housing estate wouldn't accept a job if you offered them one yet are first in the queue for anything that's going.

I'll lay good odds that the guys tearing up that housing estate wouldn't accept a job if you offered them one yet are first in the queue for anything that's going.

OK, but what has that got to do with what I posted?

OK, but what has that got to do with what I posted?

OK Well if we reduced and capped welfare down to a level where companies could offer jobs at internationally competitive rates people would have no choice but to take them if they wanted more money for a holiday or booze.

OK Well if we reduced and capped welfare down to a level where companies could offer jobs at internationally competitive rates people would have no choice but to take them if they wanted more money for a holiday or booze.

Two recent ERSI reports found that the only people who are better off on the dole are those with 2 or more children and are also claiming rent supplement. These make up just 3% of those on the live register. The other 97% would be be significantly better of working than remaining on the dole. The issue is still very much the lack of new jobs being created in the economy, lowering welfare rates won't change this.

I quite sure Pat is aware of these of reports, but he chose to imply that there all these people out there turning down jobs because they pay less than the benefits they would lose . This simply is not the case. Pat is prone to being very selective in what stats he uses when it suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Who'ld offer them a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Those two meetings that Joan Burton was talking about is ridiculous, I was at both and the first one was a bunch of people (they did a role call too) sitting around a table and told by two people about all the options available that lasted about 20 to 30 minutes.The second was where a woman just printed out the jobs on the welfare site that might suit.But I was already after seeing them in the days before, so what's the point in that?I don't need someone to look for the jobs for me.I can do that myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement