Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yakuza wrote: »
    Is this a repeat of the other day? Why is Daly on - just cos she's a woman?

Mullen choosing stats to suit him self...90% of those *who responded* doesn't indicate a population-wide opinion. Usually only those with extreme opinions or want the status quo to change will bother to respond to such a poll.
    Also, they excluded psychiatrists that didn't suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Dear god, is there never an option to get two moderate contributors to discuss a topic... Always has to get the extremists, that foghorn Clare Daly and Bible Basher Ronán Mullen..

Generally I know I'm in the right if I'm on the opposite side to whatever Claire Daly or Ronan Mullen are arguing for. That's why I have feck all idea what way to go on the abortion issue. Every crackpot in the nation seems to be involved on one side or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

A balanced debate in Ireland means letting the extremists talk over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Personally, I think pro-choice is the most reasonable position. Having an abortion is a very personal decision to make, but the choice to do so or not should be there for each person to make for themselves, and not have it denied them by wild-eyed, salivating bible-thumping extremists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've always hated Josephine Feely for her smugness last year when she came out and said "Revenue with sit down with businesses and work out if they are viable or not".... As if people trying to run private business were choosing school projects and she was going to judge their worthiness... No interest, of course, in maybe starting with their own loss making business that hasnt mandatorily lost a single employee (bar those that got promoted to Europe) even though they presided over the biggest crash in the nation's history..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

The Gestapo would have been proud of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I've always hated Josephine Feely for her smugness last year when she came out and said "Revenue with sit down with businesses and work out if they are viable or not"....

Same as the banks Jon,

it would make you sick

I've always hated Josephine Feely for her smugness last year when she came out and said "Revenue with sit down with businesses and work out if they are viable or not".... As if people trying to run private business were choosing school projects and she was going to judge their worthiness... No interest, of course, in maybe starting with their own loss making business that hasnt mandatorily lost a single employee (bar those that got promoted to Europe) even though they presided over the biggest crash in the nation's history..

There must be something in the water in that department that breeds smugness or something. I was at a talk a few years ago with Frank Daly (one of her predecessors and now in NAMA) and the first thing he said to us was along the lines of "I hope everyone here is tax-compliant". It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but it fell flat. This was around the time of the Mahon tribunal. Only the fact that I was a guest at the talk held me back from reflecting out loud about the irony of his wry little comment. Sanctimonious tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

A thing that annoys is government helpline numbers.

1890' calls cost a lot. Usually between 15c to 30c per min. They cost the gov practically nothing, but the user plenty.

Then we hear that alzeimers charity running a freephone number... (and good on them, because they do cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I though the EU built the roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

touts wrote: »
    Generally I know I'm in the right if I'm on the opposite side to whatever Claire Daly or Ronan Mullen are arguing for. That's why I have feck all idea what way to go on the abortion issue. Every crackpot in the nation seems to be involved on one side or the other.

The second I hear the "A" word I change station ... I refuse to have my ears assaulted by loudmouth cretins (from either side).
    IMO Gene Kerrigan's proposal in yesterdays Sunday Indo is the only practical workable solution and the sanctimonious can go on living in cloud cuckoo land.

A thing that annoys is government helpline numbers.

1890' calls cost a lot. Usually between 15c to 30c per min. They cost the gov practically nothing, but the user plenty.

I abhor them too, I use www.saynoto1890.com to see if there's an alternate (or if there's an "from outside ireland, call +353 1 blah blah" on the website). Landlines are part of my home and mobile phone packages, Locall numbers aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah FFS , why am i listening to the fecking lion king ?

My folks are bringing my kids to it in a month or so, I'm kinda jealous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Yakuza wrote: »
    I abhor them too, I use www.saynoto1890.com to see if there's an alternate (or if there's an "from outside ireland, call +353 1 blah blah" on the website). Landlines are part of my home and mobile phone packages, Locall numbers aren't
    There is another website: http://forget1850.com/
    They also have an app for mobile devices. They will give you the equivalent landline number for lots of 1850, 1890 etc etc numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

First an ad for the boot lady-boy revenue and now one for lionking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I've always hated Josephine Feely for her smugness /QUOTE]

Did Josephine Feely confirm that there is a 1.4% surcharge for paying by credit card ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Its a charge from the credit card companies.

The Irish public should cop themselves on and vote FF back in. Everything will be free again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

withless wrote: »
    Its a charge from the credit card companies.

The Irish public should cop themselves on and vote FF back in. Everything will be free again.

A charge from the credit card companies ? when I pay my motor tax on line I don't incur an additional charge - indeed when I pay any utility bill by credit card I don't pay a surcharge - I was surprised that Pat didn't pick her up on this or maybe like me it was one of those did I really hear that moments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Interesting use of punctuation.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    A charge from the credit card companies ? when I pay my motor tax on line I don't incur an additional charge - indeed when I pay any utility bill by credit card I don't pay a surcharge - I was surprised that Pat didn't pick her up on this or maybe like me it was one of those did I really hear that moments

Normally, when you buy by credit card, the credit card company takes a percentage of the amount as a cost, but the retailer absorbs that as they have a margin built into the price of the item. Ryanair do the opposite and take the p1ss by charging per ticket (even though it's one transaction). It would appear that in the case of the property tax, Revenue aren't prepared to suffer any reduction in their income from it by virtue of a charge from the credit card company, so they add it on to what you pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Good to see a cop on the end of a grilling for a change. Allowances are still a gravy train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I always find it amusing when people say "Ah Paddy, the Government and Bertie told me to buy a house so I bought one".. Probably the only time that they "took the advice of the Government".. I bet they didnt take the Government's advice to pay the property tax.. But it now suits them to blame somebody else for the fact that they bought a house at the height of the boom..

I always find it amusing when people say "Ah Paddy, the Government and Bertie told me to buy a house so I bought one".. Probably the only time that they "took the advice of the Government".. I bet they didnt take the Government's advice to pay the property tax.. But it now suits them to blame somebody else for the fact that they bought a house at the height of the boom..

Agreed but you have to admit the former FF/PD government did actively contribute to inflating a property bubble & then actively encouraged people to invest in property. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Callan57 wrote: »
    Agreed but you have to admit the former FF/PD government did actively contribute to inflating a property bubble & then actively encouraged people to invest in property. :mad:
    Mammy O'Rourke actively encouraged us all to buy Eircom shares, but most of us didn't. Anyone who does something just because they are actively encouraged by a politician deserves to get stung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Callan57 wrote: »

True, but they did lot more damage than that. The Regling/Watson Banking Report stated that Cowen's 2007 Budget added markedly to the overheating of the economy. Government spending increased by more than 11% in 2007 and 2008. The report went on to say that there were opportunities to mitigate the risks and create a cushion to the recession, but that these opportunities were not taken. Instead, "the policies of government and culture in the banks “added fuel to the fire". So a lot more lost their jobs or had their income reduced then otherwise would have happened. As a result a lot more people are now having difficultly with their mortgages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

After listening to that Garda rep this morning, it suddenly dawned on me why former FF minister John O'Donoghue spent thousands upon thousands of taxpayers money on limos to ferry him (and his missus) around.

The cars are faster than helicopters !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,495 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was lucky.
    I was offered thousands and bombarded by letter to upscale, extend, buy new car etc etc by the E.B.S.
    I didn't bite and remained in a home I could afford. I was wise as it turned out.
    However I would be hesitant to blame a younger, less-experienced couple for taking similar offers to be fair.
    It is easy to judge and be wise in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Pat is doing a great job of pointing out the huge amount of holes and lack of clarity on really important points in that ridiculous bill and the fact that the majority of people think it doesn't go nearly as far as its needed, you can hear how exasperated he is in his voice.

• Advertisement

The Garda training college is similar to a maternity hospital ......is this joker for real? He should be honest and admit his concern is his own position only :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement