Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Great video.

Managed to make an appearance leading out the ultras before I copped on what i was doing. :D

Git101, that tache is more recognisable than Willie O'Dea's!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

4 stars (good)
    Git101 wrote: »
    Good video..

Enduro, that was one big backpack, don't tell me you ran the full race with that on :eek:

That was me arriving to Dublin castle, having parked up my bike nearby. So my race backpack was actually inside that one (I used a Columbia Mobex for the race, or the hamster tent as DaPope likes to call it :)... light, stable and compact)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great video.

Managed to make an appearance leading out the ultras before I copped on what i was doing. :D

Is that you in the yellow hat having a "jaysus, what way do I go" moment ?
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Git101, that tache is more recognisable than Willie O'Dea's!

I'm not quite sure how to take that :eek:
    That moustache has Samson like qualities, without it I'd be weak as a kitten :D
    Enduro wrote: »
    That was me arriving to Dublin castle, having parked up my bike nearby. So my race backpack was actually inside that one (I used a Columbia Mobex for the race, or the hamster tent as DaPope likes to call it :)... light, stable and compact)

That's mad !! You cycled to the start and then ran won the AON.
    I thought that you maybe thought the AON was too easy and packed loads of water bottles into the big backpack to make the challenge more interesting :D....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

You cycled to the start and then ran won the AON.
    I thought that you maybe thought the AON was too easy and packed loads of water bottles into the big backpack to make the challenge more interesting :D....

It was actually full of rocks, he did some Mountain Meithal work on the way...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    ezikel wrote: »
    It was actually full of rocks, he did some Mountain Meithal work on the way...:cool:

I bet most people think that's a joke but I think it may actually be true ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Good video..

Your own one isn't bad either!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I had spent over two hours assigning sometimes reluctant walkers to the various leaders at Kippure House. I was hoarse by 6.20am when I found myself on my own in Kippure House with twenty-two "where's our leader-you promised us a leader" walkers. After a bit of "will you take this group?" from some assertive-type guy I eventually left with them at 6.30am.

Before Ballynultagh Gap we caught up with the previous group and paused for a while in the bitter cold. For the rest of the journey to Baravore everything went well, apart from losing three people at Ballynultagh Gap and another few at Ballinagee Bridge. We crossed the finishing line in the area of 16.45 hours.

Problems? None - except one girl who insisted on entertaining everyone with her tinny transistor radio on the road walk to Ballynultagh. Eventually I had to ask her "Would you mind if we didn't have to listen to that radio?" She said ok and then had a cigarette before we ascended Black Hill.

My own club, the Irish Ramblers, provided seven guides. I'm pleased to say that their navigation was flawless and each one acquitted themselves admirably.

I'm looking forward to next year and hoping I'm not the last one out of the blocks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Did it this year and, on reflection, 'enjoyed' it. Anyone know if its running again in 2012? I noted today that the AON website is down.

Hi All,

Yes the 2012 cahllenge is going ahead and the website will be going live in the next two weeks.

I will set up a new thread on boards for it once it is up.

Gearoid

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭scottyboy1973

Thanks a mill - will it be the Friday night into Saturday again?

S

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Excellent news. One of the best events of the year.

same format Fri Night/Saturday....just like Art and Red Hugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

4 stars (good)
    excellent stuff! might give this a go again and see can i finish it :) any chance we can cycle the first 1/2 haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

This is great news!! Let the training begin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tommytommy

hi all... Is this an event that takes place every 2 years or will there be an event happening in january 2012? I have been speaking with a few people who have said there will be no event this year... I don't want to train in vain you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

4 stars (good)
    tommytommy wrote: »
    hi all... Is this an event that takes place every 2 years or will there be an event happening in january 2012? I have been speaking with a few people who have said there will be no event this year... I don't want to train in vain you know?

No such thing as training in vain, there's nearly always an alternative race :)

Anyway, I got an email from Gearoid saying the event would be going ahead on the 6th/7th january. There might be a backup date as well in case it's pissing rain that weekend according to the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

4 stars (good)
    If you read a couple of the posts above yours you would see that it is confirmed for 2012 already!

4 stars (good)
    To be fair, the actual dates weren't mentioned on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Any sign of the website to get up and running?

TheBody wrote: »
    Any sign of the website to get up and running?

hi all. Website www.artoneillchallenge.ie will be ready on Wednesday next. More or less the same format as last year with categories for runners, hybrids and walkers. 6th jan is the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Thinking about this again this year, and im looking for something to do. Now, to run or to do the hybrid...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

3 stars (average)
    Last year a lot a couple of idioits did the hybrid, they flogged themselves on the run to Kippure and were then completely shagged for the mountain terrain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭watercarrier

ocnoc wrote: »
    Last year a lot of idioits did the hybrid, they flogged themselves on the run to Kippure and were then completely shagged for the mountain terrain.
    a couple of idiots guides got lost aswell if memory serves me right

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

3 stars (average)
    a couple of idiots guides got lost aswell if memory serves me right

Yup, I was one of them.
    If competent navigators were struggling at points - can you imagine the carnage if there were no guides :D

There were a lot of people who were unprepared physically for the challenge, if you disagree, just look at the large numbers that got the bus back from the Wicklow Gap road.

You should always challenge yourself, but be realistic.

I think I was more vexed by one particular hybrid/ultra that didn't have the right kit, couldn't navigate but said she knew where she was going cause Eoin told her(?), and my mate found her lost and freezing on route, gave her his kit and got her as far as the Wicklow Gap road before she got on a bus. Its such foolishness that darkens my view of it.

So maybe painting everyone with the one brush was overly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 tommytommy

Thanks for the information Stark... Sounds like quite the slog, i am looking forward to the challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

4 stars (good)
    Last year a lot of idioits did the hybrid,

a little harsh maybe:)
    kingQuez wrote: »
    Thinking about this again this year, and im looking for something to do. Now, to run or to do the hybrid...

If you can navigate, or join up with a couple of others who can, run it.
    Easy pace to Kippure Checkpoint, then get out again as quickly as possible.

The downside of joining a group there is that you're only as fast as the slowest person in the group.

And Recce, Recce, Recce.

4 stars (good)
    You can pretty much decide at Kippure if you're doing the hybrid or ultra. Start out as if you were running the ultra regardless. As ocnoc said, you're going to be ****ed for the mountain section if you treat it as a race to Kippure followed by a cool down hike.

4 stars (good)
    Can’t speak of cnoc’s experience but I had a great time doing the hybrid last year. And didn’t see a single idiot. Not one.

Good craic on the run out to Tallaght. It started snowing so you had this amazing experience of running down country lanes in the dead of night with just a head torch to see where you’re going.

Got in with a nice bunch of people and great guides at Kippure. Super night and day in the mountains with a great atmosphere throughout. In my group there were people of all abilities so don't be put off by the challenge.

Myles Dungan did it last year and did a piece his RTE history radio show. Worth a listen as it shows a fun event with a view from the back of the pack. Literally. Think he was last over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bpollard

Yup, I was one of them.
    If competent navigators were struggling at points - can you imagine the carnage if there were no guides :D

There were a lot of people who were unprepared physically for the challenge, if you disagree, just look at the large numbers that got the bus back from the Wicklow Gap road.

You should always challenge yourself, but be realistic.

I think I was more vexed by one particular hybrid/ultra that didn't have the right kit, couldn't navigate but said she knew where she was going cause Eoin told her(?), and my mate found her lost and freezing on route, gave her his kit and got her as far as the Wicklow Gap road before she got on a bus. Its such foolishness that darkens my view of it.

So maybe painting everyone with the one brush was overly harsh.

Bit my lip and promised myself I would say nothing but heres a couple of points from my point of view:
    I spoke with Ocnoc shortly after the event last year and to be honest dont agree with most of the above based on following reasons;
    1. Our group took off like a hares straight from Kippure on immediate uphill which knocked the wind out of me personally. A lot of the group could not keep up with pace straight away.
    2. Guides were fresh and did not take into consideration some of group had run first portion no matter what pace they ran at. Start off moderately and build up pace would be my recommendation.
    3. I dont believe anyone who completed hybrid were physically unprepared. There is at least 2 of those who pulled out at final checkpoint that I know personally, were able to run 50km mountain races comfortably not too far either side of this event.
    4. One of the members of our group was fit enough to continue from final check point but stated he was demoralised by the fact we were one of the first to leave and even though we pushed hard we seem to be losing track on all other groups.
    5. If there were no guides a lot of people would not compete in event. The fact that you volunteer allows people like not confident enough to navigate to compete. I know I appreciate this.
    6. Cannot understand how someone cannot have right kit when we have kit check at sign in. wonder do we need to complete kit check as we leave Kippure house.
    7. I believe that was the first group walk that some guides ever took on so it was a learning curve for quite a few people. So in my opinion guides should not be so quick to fault others. My own personal issue was I got ill and dehyrated which was naive and appreciated the eventual help from guides.
    8. We have all had to pull out of races\events in the past as stated by a guide last year and it is naive to think this is down to fitness or being unprepared.

With the role of guide comes great responsibility. Hopefully some of the guides have learned from this experience on the importance of motivating group & keeping them together. Rather than accusing those of us who pulled out on last stage of being unprepared and idiots, maybe the guides should analyse the % of their groups that pulled out of the event compared with other groups. lets be honest people in the group I was in considered themselves advanced so thought of themselves as well prepared.

My two cents.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭watercarrier

Yup, I was one of them.
    If competent navigators were struggling at points
    maybe painting everyone with the one brush was overly harsh.
    cant be called competent if they got lost;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement