Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Fortrath

4 stars (good)
    Hi, Could a link to the results please be posted here, or on the Homepage of Art website. On my laptop, I can't get visibility of the 'tabs'. Thank you. Super event. Well-organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

4 stars (good)
    I'd the same trouble.

http://www.artoneillchallenge.com/baby-art

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Outsider Magazine tweeted Enduro's winning route on their Garmin page.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63100743

Very interesting to compare the route with your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's interesting. How much route choice do you have on the Art O'Neill Challenge? Are there just three points you have to hit along the way or a larger number of mandatory points?

I'd imagine there will be many people downloading Enduro's route from Garmin Connect (thanks!) and using it as a template for next year. I hope you managed to slip in a few false loops there Enduro, to throw people off your trail when you're defending another fine win.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

That's interesting. How much route choice do you have on the Art O'Neill Challenge? Are there just three points you have to hit along the way or a larger number of mandatory points?

When I did it the previous time we followed all the nav points as per the organisers notes, same this year. Enduro had an even better time on that occasion and took a similar route to this year I think but I'm sure he'll be the best man to discuss that.

I like it as an event as it's not very "race" like if you know what I mean? Not too intense and if there were to be loads of mandatory points on the route I think it would take away from it. I'm unlikely to be at the pointy end of events any time soon so maybe that is reflected in my relaxed attitude to the whole route choice thing though!

My plan had been to get recces in and take more of an Enduro line this year but that never happened. Even if it had I wouldn't have been on his heels for long once we hit the off road so it's all just talk. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »

and the moral of the story is Recce, Recce, Recce,
    (added to Enduro level of pace across very difficult terrain:))

2 mandatory checkpoints and a finish line (which was the hardest for us to find bizarrely enough!), otherwise any route you want,or feel is fastest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)

I'd imagine there will be many people downloading Enduro's route from Garmin Connect (thanks!) and using it as a template for next year. I hope you managed to slip in a few false loops there Enduro, to throw people off your trail when you're defending another fine win.

You have to hit three check points, Kippure, Art's Kitchen and finish. There isn't much route choice in that everyone has to follow the same general direction. People can differ in what line they take across the mountain, be it follow a river or stay high.

Given the conditions last week, navigation was criticial as visibility was practically zero so my group's route involved a bit of zig zagging and it looks like we stayed far too high on the mountain than necessary. I also took a slightly different route to the second checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Antigrav

nerraw1111 wrote: »

I like the way Enduro's route goes right through the middle of the biggest of The Three Lakes. Either:

1. It was completely frozen (pictures showed otherwise)

2. He was travelling so fast he didn't sink (unlikely after 40+ km)

3. Enduro is God

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

4 stars (good)
    Wow - 6 hours 12 mins moving time! well done Eoin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

3 stars (average)
    Maybe he swam it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

I will let you respond to that one Enduro! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

4 stars (good)
    He appears to have dissappeared since running the race! Maybe he has gone into hibernation for the rest of the winter! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

3 stars (average)
    jb-ski wrote: »
    and the moral of the story is
    Recce, Recce, Recce

Sorry.. i just threw up at the use of such foul language...
    Fi H wrote:
    Wow - 6 hours 12 mins moving time

Moving time can get stopped if you go below a certain pace. Say 18min/k. This can happen going up steep climbs or taking a leek or just bad GPS reception.
    Frozen ground = faster moving as one doesn't sink in bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

4 stars (good)

It looks pretty good looking back at the track I took. I was wondering how well I'd managed. Pretty much spot on. I really love the challenge of navigating these things. The mist actually added to the enjoyment (even though it did slow things down)

4 stars (good)
    jeffontour wrote: »
    When I did it the previous time we followed all the nav points as per the organisers notes, same this year. Enduro had an even better time on that occasion and took a similar route to this year I think but I'm sure he'll be the best man to discuss that.

Quite similar indeed. I'd say I was more accurate last year though, since visibility was fine (I never used a headtorch, in contrast to this year)

4 stars (good)
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Maybe he swam it?

:D As Ezikiel implies... somewhat unlikely!

I think that just illustrates a point I'm always emphasising... GPSes are not entirely accurate. And even if they were, the maps may not match their accuracy. They're an aid, but they're not authoritative. Useful guidlines.

I actually walked on the eastern edge of the lake. I was very happy to have hit it so accuately from Art's cross. As I'm sure you all realise, it's not straightforward, and it was still misty at the time I was there.

4 stars (good)
    Fi H wrote: »
    He appears to have dissappeared since running the race! Maybe he has gone into hibernation for the rest of the winter! :D

I might get a short report up soon. If I get some spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Enduro wrote: »
    It looks pretty good looking back at the track I took. I was wondering how well I'd managed. Pretty much spot on.I really love the challenge of navigating these things.[/B] The mist actually added to the enjoyment (even though it did slow things down)
    :D As Ezikiel implies... somewhat unlikely!

I think that just illustrates a point I'm always emphasising... GPSes are not entirely accurate. And even if they were, the maps may not match their accuracy. They're an aid, but they're not authoritative. Useful guidlines.

I actually walked on the eastern edge of the lake. I was very happy to have hit it so accuately from Art's cross. As I'm sure you all realise, it's not straightforward, and it was still misty at the time I was there.

This is what the ordinary walker/runner(like me) taking on any of the Hill Challenges around the country should learn from Enduro.
    But a special note to those who are part of groups it is a Challenge with a little bit extra for your Leader.

And for those with GPS remember maps and compass are around along time and its vital to be able to use them

4 stars (good)
    ocnoc wrote: »
    Sorry.. i just threw up at the use of such foul language...

@ ocnoc, please explain??

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    @ ocnoc, please explain??

I always say that recc'ing is extremely bad luck in the IMRA races.... I enjoy the surprise of finding out that a climb is steeper or the ground is wetter than i expected. Adds more fun to the races.... the unknown fear factor hence the adrenaline buzz increases :) it was meant completely in jest

4 stars (good)
    ocnoc wrote: »
    I always say that recc'ing is extremely bad luck in the IMRA races.... I enjoy the surprise of finding out that a climb is steeper or the ground is wetter than i expected. Adds more fun to the races.... the unknown fear factor hence the adrenaline buzz increases :) it was meant completely in jest

i'd figured there might be some mountain/hill runner 'etiquette' with regard
    to Recce's!

but was I glad to have a mental picture of where we were going with such poor visibility on the night, thanks to a few trips up in December. (that's us soft road-runners for you:D)

i hope to do my 1st Imra run in Feb (obviously without R.....)

I might get a short report up soon. If I get some spare time.

looking forward to this!

3 stars (average)
    i'd figured there might be some mountain/hill runner 'etiquette' with regard
    to Recce's!

Its actually the in thing to do. I just enjoy the surprise of whats over the next mountain top.... Although a map generally gives you a fair idea of what to expect.

But yes - IMRA rocks..

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Antigrav wrote: »
    1. It was completely frozen (pictures showed otherwise)

2. He was travelling so fast he didn't sink (unlikely after 40+ km)

3. Enduro is God

I thought it was obvious - number 3 is the correct answer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

4 stars (good)
    Jesus lads, get a room already!

4 stars (good)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOm-kc9M4kw

Outsider posted this on facebook! Nice taster of the challenge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's a pretty cool vid, makes me regret making a decision not to go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    Good video..

Enduro, that was one big backpack, don't tell me you ran the full race with that on :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Git101 wrote: »
    Good video..

Enduro, that was one big backpack, don't tell me you ran the full race with that on :eek:
    Was that Git101 captured in the 12th second?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    Was that Git101 captured in the 12th second?

Well spotted sir, sharp eyes indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement