Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

4 stars (good)
    mithril wrote: »
    I think that was me!

Not you mithril. My group was all done by 12:45.
    Besides, we've never shared synchronised vomiting out car windows at speed.
    It's a long painful story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice piece about it on The History Show on Radio 1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Not you mithril. My group was all done by 12:45.
    Besides, we've never shared synchronised vomiting out car windows at speed.
    It's a long painful story.
    No, I don't think we have You weren't the only group then that took a wrong turning on the hill. Finishing by 12:45 with a walking group is pretty good going allowing for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

4 stars (good)
    No, I don't think we have You weren't the only group then that took a wrong turning on the hill. Finishing by 12:45 with a walking group is pretty good going allowing for that.

It depends on when you start...

Been trying to estimate how much time was lost by my map messing. For Ballynabrocky we were moving at a steady speed but not with as much confidence as if on a path, direction wise we were only a few degrees out which added only a little distance along side the walls, much of which was eliminated by missing out the loop in the road. So I'm going to estimate somewhere in the region of 5 minutes.

Up at Three Lakes I was way off bearing, unforgivably so. As a positive it was to the left rather then right so we were in effect straightening a dog leg. Ground rising when it should have been falling was the sign. In the end we didn't add much distance but the extra climb and element of doubt within the group must have added a toll. In terms of time lost I'm guessing about 10 minutes.

More practice. Always more practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

@ PositiveNegative.
    (a view from a non-participant who has lead groups of friends and strangers in the hills)

I think your honesty re the mishaps will be greatly appreciated. To take on the Leaders roll at such short notice in such an event was a brave thing to do. 10 mins over 55km is nothing and I know from experience that leading a group is a hell of alot harder than looking after yourself no matter how strong You or They are.
    The stops to get back on track will be the last thing anyone will remember in a weeks time as without you they might never have got thru it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

3 stars (average)
    Didn't run any of it and found the whole thing completely manageable. It was a great event and fair play to everyone involved in the organising. It was an absolutely brilliant experience.

The only difficulty I had was that I got mixed up between groups very early on when three groups kind of merged into one another for a short stretch. Anyway, before I knew it I found myself in a completely different group and definitely noticed that it was far better organised than the first. I was grateful for the mix up because I had no previous experience for this kind of event so I felt I needed that extra sense of security under those foggy conditions.

Would love to know the numbers that completed against those that dropped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

anybody know when the last person was finished and are there times been posted for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Will be posting times tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay. Been wrapping it up and catching some zzzzzzzzzzzzzz's Last walkers got in around 17 hours with the bulk coming in around 15 to 16 hours. Enduro blitzed it in 7 hours 13 min.

Well done to all for the great efforts and maintaining the smiles!

G

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

3 stars (average)
    I'm pretty sure my group was the group that fairly motored past groups on the road after giving them a tour of the bog :o

However, after our veir, we relocated pretty quick given that we had just crossed a small stream and due to the slope of the hill.... The chap with the GPS said I was clearly still wrong... despite him having a GPS with a blank screen and a dot on it... very helpful.

After 15 extra mins of bog trotting we hit the track. And looking back up the hill at the lights everywhere, we appeared to be the only group to hit the track! Lights everywhere lol

Pretty uneventful for the rest of the day exculuding the dodge porridge and lack of coffee... for which i was well disappointed about.

In relation to Ultramans aunti, I do enjoy motivating people... even more so when it saves me a 10km walk back down hill. She was getting up that hill, even if I had to drag her by the leg.

Oh, and the big smile when someone dropped out after saying I was wrong and pretty much insulted me by saying we weren't going quick enough... I do love the feeling of been right. Oh how Karma is a Bit*h

*(If Niall or myself insulted anyone by our sense of humor, pace, naving ability or other general shinaganians, we're probably not going to apologise.... however do feel free to join us some other time for some Wicklow fun, the organisers take no responsibility for us :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Well, the sore legs and arms have recovered.

I did the hybrid after previously harbouring thoughts about doing the full ultra. This was a running theme with hybrids I spoke to, something along the lines as, "I was going to do the full but thank @*^£; I didn't!'

Arrived at Dublin Castle around 12.30am just as sleet started falling. Earlier that night I tried to catch a few Zs after work but spent an hour just staring at the ceiling bricking myself at the prospect that lay ahead.

Good nervous atmosphere in the castle as everybody asked why they were doing it and did anyone have a clue about the route!

So off we went for the first 25km. Found myself in a nice little group, lots of camaradie and chat. Was acutely aware not to go off too fast so was happy to see that my group were happy to run at 5.20mins/km pace, a full minute per km slower than I would normally run 25km. A few drunks and taxi drivers shouted encouragement as we made our way out to Templelogue. Surreal experience running through Dublin at that time.

Still felt good and was happy with the pace until we got to the start of the climb towards Bohernabreena. Not sure what happened but started to go backwards and was losing touch with the group despite the relatively slow pace. Very frustrating. Then before I knew it, a thick blanket of fog descended and i couldn't see the group who were just 50 metres ahead despite headtorches and reflective vests.

Was feeling pretty low at this point. 15km in and already struggling. Got the head together and kept the legs going and turned off the road towards Kippure. Walked some of the steeper parts of the climb that was now covered in ice. Despite feeling pretty demoralised, it was incredible to be out on that road, covered in ice, surrounded by snow/frost and no one at 3.30am or so. Eventually, the road levelled out and much to my delight, the legs started working again and before I knew it, I was flying, catched some of the people who passed me and started in to pull in some of my original group.

Eventually started to catch large groups of walkers who were great, shouting encouragement and leaving you plenty of space to pass. Never ran with a head torch before but I'm a convert now, something incredibly liberating about running down a pitch black road with just a head torch for company. I was enjoying the run at this stage with the kms just ticking by.

Got to Kippure House feeling great. I went to add my name to the fast walking group where I'm pretty sure OCNOC was taking names. Signed up to his group with the order to be ready in ten minutes. Changed into my walking gear and was ready to go when i realised I had to water in my camelbak. A 10 min wait meant I missed OCNOC's fast group. But it wouldn't be the last time I saw him.

Signed up to the next fast group which was Zoran and Seamus. So off we went and almost immediately I began to doubt my ability to stay in the fast group. The ascent out was pretty tough on the legs as was the fast pace. Almost from the start, it was clear that navigation would be difficult. A group ahead of us had gone off course within 200 metres of leaving Kippure House. My group managed to find the track and we were on the road in no time.

Road was fairly uneventful, just a hard slog through freezing conditions with ice crystals forming on coats and bags. Visibility was pretty poor at this stage. Reached Black Hill after a tricky ascent with the trail covered in ice.

The route to Art's Cafe was more eventful however. I found this the toughest mentally. We couldn't see further than perhaps 40 metres ahead and it was impossible to see the lay of the land. We struggled a bit here navigational wise but never seemed to go too far off course. But it was frustrating at the time given tired legs and head, the thought that we may have walked extra kms was a killer. I think we spent several hours walking along the side of mountains, a real ankle breaker given that you were constantly twisting your ankle in the same direction. Also the fact you couldn't measure your progress was tough. Might as well been blind folded.

Eventually we got down off the mountain, found some houses and eventually Art's Cafe. I was thinking to myself, I wonder where I would be if I went with OCNOC's group. I found out 15 mins later after his group came in after us much to the delight of Zoran and Seamus ;)

After some quick porridge, we regrouped with smaller numbers and pushed for the last 12k. This section was spectacular. The sky was now a beautiful blue, and, we were assured, the route was fairly obvious. Up the mountains again, a brief stop at Art's plaque and then to tackle the climb to Art's Cross. This was hell on the legs coming at 51kms. It's a fairly technical climb which was made more difficult with the ice. Not a good combination for tired bodies and minds. The lake at the top was complete frozen over as was most of the terrain which made walking easier if not sore on the feet.

Once at the top, I could sense the finish and just took off down the valley and crossed the line around 2pm. Garmin reads 9 hours 28 mins of moving time but altogether was around 12 hours.

Superb event in every sense, from organisation, marshals, guides, and fellow competitors. Great camaraderie and at the finish, you could tell, despite our best efforts, every one of us was as proud as punch with ourselves.

Garmin recorded a total distance of 57.81kms with elevation gain of 1585 metres. Not a bad day's work.

ocnoc wrote: »

Pretty uneventful for the rest of the day exculuding the dodge porridge and lack of coffee... for which i was well disappointed about.

Sorry about that ocnoc the flavoured porridge ran out before you got there, that damn GPS eh! As positivnegative says "practice, always practice". For next year I am going to try to have an illy coffee stand in Ballinagee Bridge to make up for it!

G

1 Eoin Keith 7.13.50
    2 Tim Charnecki 7.31.38
    3 Adrian Tucker 8.00.40
    3 Paul Tierney 8.00.40
    5 Christian Nachtigall 8.21.27
    6 Kevin Grogan 8.22.13
    7 Jarlath Hynes 9.02.30
    7 Brendan Murphy 9.02.30
    7 Tomy Brennan 9.02.30
    10 Paul Flannery 9.19.50
    11 Jeff Fitsimons 9.35.46
    12 Fred Hammond 9.38.19
    13 William Rock 9.55.06
    13 Donnacha Cuttriss 9.55.06
    15 Shane O shaughnessy 9.57.20
    15 Robert Williams 9.57.20
    17 Pauline Brady 9.59.05
    17 John Casey 9.59.05
    19 Brian O Meara 10.13.13
    20 Stephen o Sullivan 10.18.50
    20 Denis Flynn 10.18.50
    22 Aidan Blake 10.25.53
    22 Mark Lyons 10.25.53
    22 Derek Arnold 10.25.53
    25 Kevin O Riordan 10.49.18

321 Final Walker 16.56.00

3 stars (average)
    I have been recieving a few emails asking what happened on the first hill.
    Putting it bluntly - it went wrong! V wrong.

The group was pretty stretched out. I was nervous, as would any sain person be bringing a group of 15 (plus hangers on) into the hills at night in zero vis. The objective was also slightly different. Instead of attempting to drop everyone, we had to keep everyone together... So I took the lead and Niall took the end to make sure no one fell off the back. We were moving along nicely. I was watching my compass like a hawk. I hit the summit, or what I thought was the summit and at point A) I swapped positions with Niall. Foolishly, I assumed he knew where we were on the map and he contuined to walk. I wasn't paying much attention to what was going on now that I was at the back of the group. After 10mins or so Niall stopped (point B)... I ran up to him, jumped a stream... (the thought, oh **** went through my mind). We debated what stream we were at, whipped out the compasses, corrected our direction - had the argument with the guy with the GPS and I went off on my compass only, praying to hit the track. At point C, the guy with the GPS said I was drifting and we should be heading way to the south (as we were heading west), I said, trust me, I've done this before... (compass only at night in a dark Finnish forest counts right?).
    I eventually hit the track and had a massive sigh of relief. A women exclaimed that we had lost almost an hour in time, looking at my track, we were only out for 56mins so she was away with the fairys. Looking back up the hill, there were lights everywhere, none of which were even remotely near the track. To my utter disgust, the O'Boyle had past us out and the group wasn't really up for a fast death march to satisfy Nialls and my ego's.

O%20Dear.jpg

hey ocnoc, that wasn't too bad an error given the conditions and the fact that N had just taken the reins. Probably seemed worse cause ye were just out of the blocks. Thanks for putting that up. I think the challenge has definitely highlighted to people who can't nav, how hard nav actually is. Might lead to more people potentially learning how to nav.

AON Uncut: Just finished scrubbing the bejaysus out of those porridge pots :o

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    Eventually managed to write a report but I'm afraid that like the Art O Neill Challenge it's an ultra :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Git101 wrote: »
    Eventually managed to write a report but I'm afraid that like the Art O Neill Challenge it's an ultra :o

Great report. I also nearly came a cropper at the same road as you did at the end. The road looked so nice and flat rather than the rocky trail. I saw footprints going in both directions. Decided on the trail as it stuck to the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Well written, atmospheric account.
    I think the runners might have avoided some of the worst weather because I never remember it being that bad.

"On a sour note, near Tallaght we had just caught up with and passed a chap when 3 scumbags attacked him. The cowardly bastards ran off as we sprinted back to help him. He withdrew from the event soon after."

This is shocking.
    Although we joked about this as a possibility, I never really thought it was a hazard. Do you know anymore? Was the guy injured or just badly shaken?

when I left after the ultra start and headed out the road I saw a flashing headlight pointing back towards Dublin and immediately thought "oh no, not so soon?"

Stopped and spoke to the man and he had reported that he had been jumped by three scumbags. Luckily, Git101 and co ran back to his aid. He was the last walker and they waited for the last walker to go by before making their move.

i waited with him until his wife came to pick him up. He was shaken and sore in places where they had made contact, but he was in Glenmalure the next day to pick up his bag.

Grateful to Git101 and Co for sorting him out and I will be getting the cops to follow the last walkers the next time.

Will be adding another item to the mandatory kit list also: sledgehammer

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

ezikel wrote: »
    Will be adding another item to the mandatory kit list also: sledgehammer

That will play havoc on us weight weeny ultra runners! Will a tack hammer do for us? The theory being we'll strike back once and then run away like the knights in Monty Pythons Holy Grail, run away!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 My2Cents

4 stars (good)
    Great event! Any sign of the times being posted for us mere mortals who didn't make the top 25?

4 stars (good)
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great report. I also nearly came a cropper at the same road as you did at the end. The road looked so nice and flat rather than the rocky trail. I saw footprints going in both directions. Decided on the trail as it stuck to the river.

Thanks nerraw1111
    What really has me annoyed about that was that I had the EastWest Maping map in my pocket, it would have only taken a minute to check ...lesson learned !
    Well written, atmospheric account.
    I think the runners might have avoided some of the worst weather because I never remember it being that bad.

Thanks mithril
    I spent a good while hanging around on Black Hill during a hail shower, I'm sure that tainted my view.
    I would guess that while running you may not notice the elements as much.

3 stars (average)
    Thanks nerraw1111
    What really has me annoyed about that was that I had the EastWest Maping map in my pocket, it would have only taken a minute to check ...lesson learned !

The eastwest map stopped just shy of when you needed it

4 stars (good)
    ocnoc wrote: »
    The eastwest map stopped just shy of when you needed it

I think the "Wicklow mtn West" map does stop short but the "Lugnaquilla & Glendalough" map has the Glenmalure valley bang in the centre.

I know because I looked at it enough afterwards, my tear stains are still visible on it..:o

Funny thing, when I went online to buy the maps I discovered the guy who did them only lives a stones throw from me. I was able to stroll up and collect them from his house. I must say I'm very impressed with the detail on them.

4 stars (good)
    jeffontour wrote: »
    That will play havoc on us weight weeny ultra runners! Will a tack hammer do for us? The theory being we'll strike back once and then run away like the knights in Monty Pythons Holy Grail, run away!!!!

Would this help Jeff ??

5347772118_0c7bc04669.jpg
    Ham by Chris Cassidy1, on Flickr

was thinking more Andy Dufraine from Shawshank Redemption but I think you have come up with a more fun option Git101! :pac:

My2Cents wrote: »
    Great event! Any sign of the times being posted for us mere mortals who didn't make the top 25?

will have them up by tomorrow. sifting through it now. our plan to have each walker/runner recorded as they came in according to the registration sheet went out the window when ye all came in in packs of 25 and 30!

Next year: dibbers. Definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 17 My2Cents

4 stars (good)
    Great thanks, again excellent event - judging from the accounts above our groups unplanned detour at Black Hill doesn't seem too bad after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Very well done to you all. What a ferocious challenge!
    I hope you are all suitably proud of yourselves.

• Advertisement

HI all,

I have put results and walkers we have times for (the bulk of the walking group) up on the site. There are errors in there for sure so I am putting my hand up now. Some of the later ultra runners came in clumps of walkers so for this reason an ultra runner might have been given a time which was 1hr.50min slower than his actual time. Not to worry, we have all the times recorded and they are 100% accurate so please drop a line to artoneillchallenge@gmail.com if I have screwed you over with a much slower time and I will amend the records. we also have every hybrid and ultra time to Kippure.

Biggest lesson learned this year: will use dibbers in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement