Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art O'Neill Challenge 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I wouldn't have thought you were a great one for navigating in the Irish mountains but the crack should be good anyway!

Thats the point. you navigate and ill follow:D
    good craic yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

4 stars (good)
    mithril wrote: »

From a couple of recces and a close reading of the maps, this is what I am thinking of doing:

Walk initially from Kippure House across the river (not sure where bridge is ?) along shoulder of Ballybrockan Hill until connect with road. Looks to be about 1KM. Not sure if any of this is runnable?

About 4KM run on the road to Ballynultagh Car park.

2KM jog on good stony trail to top of Black Hill.

4.5KM walk on rough ground over Billy Byrnes Gap until connect with forest trail near intersection of Ballinagee River and Gowran brook.

2 KM run on forest trail southwards until reach the R756 just south of Ballinagee Bridge

3KM run on a forest trail until reach the Glenreemore Brook.

2km walk following the river until reach Art's Cross.
    Ascend the ramp here.

1 KM walk on rough ground south west until reach Three Lakes.

1 KM walk due south until reach river.

1 KM walk south following river until reach Table Track forest trail.

3.5 KM run on Table Track south east until reach finish at Barravore.

Comments?

DCM done & dusted, it's time to refocus.

3 of us registered for this (including navigator!).

are ye planning to 'run' this, as above, or go the run/hike option?
    easypace run to Kippure, pick up backpack and 'run'?

we hope to do a few recce's in November, (when the legs have recovered a bit), i'll keep you posted here if anyone wants to join us

all observations/advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

4 stars (good)
    Well my intention is to run the whole way. if you've got a competant navigator in your group then you've nothing to loose giving it a go yourselves. Recces are a very very good idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 FatFastard

I'm interested in doing a day time running recce of this some weekend in November if anyone is interested.

Thanks

James

4 stars (good)
    FatFastard wrote: »
    I'm interested in doing a day time running recce of this some weekend in November if anyone is interested.

Thanks

James

3 of us will possibly be heading out early on Sunday 14th, i'll post on here.

but i would hope to get out at least 2/3 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

4 stars (good)
    Looking like loads of people fancy a recce first.

I'm definitely going to have a look as I'm undecided whether to run the full route (first preference) or run - walk.
    Nav is a bit rusty, haven't done night nav for years, hoping it'll all come flooding back.

It would be great if anyone heading out for a look posted here and maybe we could get some groups together to suss out the route.

4 stars (good)
    Lads, if you want I can meet you all some evening (An hour or two after work would be no problem for me) and I can go through the specifics of how to navigate your way on the Art O Neill. I can go through the big features to watch out for (which makes 95% of the nav very easy), where you most likely to wrong, and how to recover youselves back onto the route. It wold be good to do this before recces, so that you know what to pay attention to on the recces.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Hi Guys and Girls,

Seems like everyone on here intends to run it or do the hybrid. I will be having an information evening for all ultra's and will be putting the details from the evening on the web for those who can't make the evening themselves.

I was thinking of having the information evening just before xmas but Enduro makes a good point, information would be better used during recces. Enduro was going to be nabbed for the information evening anyway (thanks Enduro!).

I will aim for mid november with this. I will post on the site and here when I have finalised the details, I will aim to have it organised this week.

Lot's more people have entered as runners or hybrids this year so far. Its great to see....

Gearoid

4 stars (good)
    ezikel wrote: »
    Enduro was going to be nabbed for the information evening anyway (thanks Enduro!).

:D It's amazing the things you can find out on boards!

Sounds like a great idea.

An information night for ultras and hybrids will take place on Wednesday 17th November at 7pm upstairs in Basecamp, 108 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1.

This is specifically for those who will be running all or some of the route, to help with your recce work in the next few months.

The all emcompassing information and final details night will be on the 5th of January. When we will have all the info on weather conditions and exactly what it will be like en route!

Can folk email info@artoneillchallenge.com if they plan on attending the running info evening?

Thanks

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

jb-ski wrote: »
    3 of us will possibly be heading out early on Sunday 14th, i'll post on here.
    An information night for ultras and hybrids will take place on Wednesday 17th November at 7pm upstairs in Basecamp, 108 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1.

This is specifically for those who will be running all or some of the route, to help with your recce work in the next few months.
    I'll be intersted in both of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I've recently recorded the mountain section from Kippure House (Ballinabrocky) to Glenbride using my gps. I'll shortly be recording the remainder of the trek to Glenmalure and can forward the gpx file to whoever wants it.

(I'm presuming that nobody will get lost navigating the roads out to Kippure House - even though some failed on the previous occasion to turn left at Stone Cross, Ballinascorney. A good place for a steward this time!)

:)

4 stars (good)
    Gravale wrote: »
    I've recently recorded the mountain section from Kippure House (Ballinabrocky) to Glenbride using my gps. I'll shortly be recording the remainder of the trek to Glenmalure and can forward the gpx file to whoever wants it.

(I'm presuming that nobody will get lost navigating the roads out to Kippure House - even though some failed on the previous occasion to turn left at Stone Cross, Ballinascorney. A good place for a steward this time!)

:)

hi, Gravale, i'd be interested in looking at this, can you post it here, or send it to me, please.

Anyone like to join us for a run, or recce of part of this next Sunday morn?
    all suggestions on good starting point (place to park etc) welcome. one of the lads is a competent navigator, but we want to be as familiar as possible with route,in daylight :eek:

we'll be going to info night on Wed 17th, but wouldn't mind a few 'hilly' miles
    in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

GPX files are not accepted as attachments on this site, so I've sent you a private message seeking your email address.

:cool:

hi all,

more info on the challenge HERE

4 stars (good)
    hi all,

lol... Will we have to call each other "dude" on the challenge ?

Will you post a reminder about the radio programme closer to the date.

No worries Git101

Should be a good show. The guys in the video you just saw will be making regular appearances to let us know how the preparation is going.

Hope the preps are going well and nice work in the marathon....

4 stars (good)
    hi all,

cool:)

I see in the Ultra Runners list of must haves is the sealed seems waterproof jacket and leggings.

Would the ones for sale in Lidl be suitable? For anyone with experience of being caught in freezing weather while out for a run?

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101115.p.Mens_Rain_Jacket

And of course, there's ladies jackets and legging on sale too.

4 stars (good)
    Hope the preps are going well and nice work in the marathon....

Thanks, the conditions for the marathon were perfect. I hope you can arrange the same for the AON :D

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Aimman wrote: »
    I see in the Ultra Runners list of must haves is the sealed seems waterproof jacket and leggings.

Would the ones for sale in Lidl be suitable? For anyone with experience of being caught in freezing weather while out for a run?

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101115.p.Mens_Rain_Jacket

And of course, there's ladies jackets and legging on sale too.

If you're at the talk on wednesday we can go into gear questions in more detail. The lidl and aldi stuff tends to be pretty good quality, especially for the price. However its generally not top quality. If conditions are extreme enough that could be the difference between being comfortable and having a serious problem.

In the case of that particular jacket, I'd say its not very breathable at all (only the lining is breathable, if you read the specs carefully), so I wouldn't go near it for something as long as the Art O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Well, I've just been talked into this crazy mess too.

I reckon I'll definately drive up and have a recce prior to the race (possibly the weekend of the 4th as I'll prob be up for the nav course)

looking forward to it already :D

Hi all,

Looking forward to catching up with everyone later,

I will have A4 handouts with the route for note taking purposes, the same map that appears on the website, however I would recommend that you bring your own sheet 56 if you want to mark up maps and go for detailed notes.

See you later,

G

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Thanks to Enduro and Gearoid for the talk last night.

Very informative for those like myself not familiar with this type of event nor the route.
    Enduro made it look quite easy: 200m here, 400m there and before you know it, you find yourself in Glenmalure lodge by the fire.:)

One the thing Enduro emphasised on was good gear & good gear and more good gear as it could get pretty rough & tough in the mountains.. Santa could be early this year:)

4 stars (good)
    911sc wrote: »
    Thanks to Enduro and Gearoid for the talk last night.

Very informative for those like myself not familiar with this type of event nor the route.
    Enduro made it look quite easy: 200m here, 400m there and before you know it, you find yourself in Glenmalure lodge by the fire.:)

One the thing Enduro emphasised on was good gear & good gear and more good gear as it could get pretty rough & tough in the mountains.. Santa could be early this year:)

+1
    Some fantastic info and advice.
    Looks like there'll be a good number of runners, should be great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

4 stars (good)
    Cheers to the lads for giving up their time last night. Very informative.

Enduro made it look quite easy: 200m here, 400m there and before you know it, you find yourself in Glenmalure lodge by the fire

LOL. I know. It doesn't seem as bad when it's broken down like that.

It was a good night. Glad to hear there will be navigators doing pacing too, might make things handier for me. That, and the foil lined survival bag :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

cheers for the info last night lads.

regarding the good gear, more good gear and maybe some more good gear... would it be possible to post up a potential "shopping list" of good gear.

i know last night there was mention of base layers and breathable jackets, power stretch top/leggings but it would help if ppl posted up examples of this good gear (lowe alpine leggings, silva head torch etc) so ppl can source them in stores/online just incase ppl turn up with Lidl gear(perfectly acceptable for day to day wear but wouldnt want to be stuck at Art's Cross in January with it) on the night?????????

Anyone out doing Recce's at the weekend?

tentative group recce date for a could be sunday 5th of december. the nav course is happening on the 4th for those signed up for that. Idea would be to car pool and do the arts cross section and meet after in the glenmalure lodge.

I will stick it up on the site when i have confirmed things and let you know here.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    tentative group recce date for a could be sunday 5th of december. the nav course is happening on the 4th for those signed up for that. Idea would be to car pool and do the arts cross section and meet after in the glenmalure lodge.

5th would be good for me.

I presumed that the recce would be walking but the thought crossed my mind that people may be running it.
    What gear for the recce, walking or running ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement