Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 €45.45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You can just activate anytime upgrade from the start menu with the key, I think.

The only place with a name is the user settings and you can have multiple users.

I don't know about the legal expiration time, but it won't deactivate itself or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kind of a waste of money unless you really need the features of professional though...
    Home premium will be perfect for the majority of users unless you want to connect to a domain...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

tman wrote: »
    Kind of a waste of money unless you really need the features of professional though...
    Home premium will be perfect for the majority of users unless you want to connect to a domain...

I will need it to connect to my work domain via citrex server.

THANKS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I will need it to connect to my work domain via citrex server.

THANKS.

You are some idiot (Also read your thread about amazon pin ,You need someone to look after you !) Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Infraction issued to galait for personal abuse..

.. cop on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

galait wrote: »
    You are some idiot (Also read your thread about amazon pin ,You need someone to look after you !) Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.
    I certainly do not need anyone to look after me,I have been around a long time,my post today about Amazon was a genuine post to get feedback from other members of this forum.
    Some idiot,your the idiot:D

Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.GOOD TO KNOW !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

I certainly do not need anyone to look after me,I have been around a long time,my post today about Amazon was a genuine post to get feedback from other members of this forum.
    Some idiot,your the idiot:D

Citrix Xenapp or XenDesktop does not require the client os to connect to the domain.GOOD TO KNOW !!!!!!!!!

Believe me you do

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Off with his head. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks to the OP for the link-I have ordered it. Quick question if you don't mind-with Vista can I just throw the disc in and run the upgrade or do I have to backup/format the C:? :-)

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

cianr wrote: »
    Thanks to the OP for the link-I have ordered it. Quick question if you don't mind-with Vista can I just throw the disc in and run the upgrade or do I have to backup/format the C:? :-)

Many thanks!

If you have 32bit Vista, you can only 'upgrade' to Win 7 32bit. You'll have to format/reinstall to put x64 on.

If however you have 64bit Vista, you should be good to go for 64bit Win 7.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

If you have 32bit Vista, you can only 'upgrade' to Win 7 32bit. You'll have to format/reinstall to put x64 on.

If however you have 64bit Vista, you should be good to go for 64bit Win 7.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the reply DG. I have 32bit Vista installed and bought the 32bit version of Win 7 - so I can just throw in the cd and forget about it? Or would I have to back up everything on the C:?

Many thanks for the help!

cianr wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply DG. I have 32bit Vista installed and bought the 32bit version of Win 7 - so I can just throw in the cd and forget about it? Or would I have to back up everything on the C:?

Many thanks for the help!

If you have important data that you need to keep, I would always advise you back up, just in case anything goes wrong.

However, I'd be confident that you'd be fine. If you were upgrading from XP, you'd have to do a full wipe, but with Vista you can 'upgrade'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Don't forget if your a student Windows server 2008 R2 - is free.

server 2008 r2 is basically the same as windows 7 except its designed as a server/workstation. With a few tweaks its the exact same as 7 with no features missing.

Free for students through the www.dreamspark.com website.

Its authenticated through you college email, only takes about 10 minutes to get an account and the licence key from microsoft. Downloading the iso could take a bit longer.

Only caveat about this method is that server 2008 r2 is 64 bit only.

If you have important data that you need to keep, I would always advise you back up, just in case anything goes wrong.

However, I'd be confident that you'd be fine. If you were upgrading from XP, you'd have to do a full wipe, but with Vista you can 'upgrade'.

That's great DG, many thanks again. Looking fwd to upgrading to a shiny new OS when I get back next week! (Sad, I know!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

landyman wrote: »
    Don't forget if you are not a student then Windows server 2008 is free for 240 days.

Trial version
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=13C7300E-935C-415A-A79C-538E933D5424&displaylang=en
    If you need more time to evaluate Windows Server 2008, the 60 day evaluation period may be reset (or re-armed) three times, extending the original 60 day evaluation period by up to 180 days for a total possible evaluation time of 240 days. After this time, you will need to uninstall the software or upgrade to a fully-licensed version of Windows Server 2008.

How to extend the Windows Server 2008 evaluation period
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948472

google windows 2008 workstation for tips on how to get more bells and whistles for it

usual tip of partioning your drive so windows goes on C: and your data goes on D: for when you have to do a clean install in 240 days time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

server 2008 r2 is basically the same as windows 7 except its designed as a server/workstation. With a few tweaks its the exact same as 7 with no features missing.

Free for students through the www.dreamspark.com website.

Its authenticated through you college email, only takes about 10 minutes to get an account and the licence key from microsoft. Downloading the iso could take a bit longer.

Only caveat about this method is that server 2008 r2 is 64 bit only.

Is there any important differences between Win 7 and server 2008?

Kevin! wrote: »
    Is there any important differences between Win 7 and server 2008?

It requires a little config to get going

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/converting-free-windows-7-server-into-a-workstation/444308?tag=photo-frame;get-photo-roto

Apart from that, remember its 64bit only so it wont work on the earlier atom netbooks or some of the older pentiums..

Once its set up to a "workstation" level with all the areo bells and whistles going, I can't tell the difference between it a win 7.

And best of all its FREE :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/converting-free-windows-7-server-into-a-workstation/444308?tag=photo-frame;get-photo-roto

Apart from that, remember its 64bit only so it wont work on the earlier atom netbooks or some of the older pentiums..

Once its set up to a "workstation" level with all the areo bells and whistles going, I can't tell the difference between it a win 7.

so it's 64-bit only? Does that mean it will work ok with my 32-bit Core 2 Duo 6420?

AFAIK, all core 2 duos are 64-bit. Not the case with the older core duo. The only mainstream modern processors that are not 64-bit are the earlier atoms.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29755
    64-bit

Monotype wrote: »
    AFAIK, all core 2 duos are 64-bit. Not the case with the older core duo. The only mainstream modern processors that are not 64-bit are the earlier atoms.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=29755
    64-bit

you're correct, i'm an idiot.

answers my question so, Microsoft Server 2008 it is!

• Advertisement

Make sure its the R2 version based on 7, not the older 2008 version based off Vista :D

Make sure its the R2 version based on 7, not the older 2008 version based off Vista :D

cool, anyone had any issues running games or other general annoyances with Windows Server 2008? (this might be a question best suited to the Tech forum).

Only if you're a student :(

Wish I was still a student...

quarryman wrote: »
    cool, anyone had any issues running games or other general annoyances with Windows Server 2008? (this might be a question best suited to the Tech forum).

The only thing i havnt had working in Microsoft Security Essentials.

Apart from that nothing

Stuff like fallout, crysis and call of duty ect all work :pac:

The only thing i havnt had working in Microsoft Security Essentials.:

Dammit, that was one I actually wouldn't mind having, best AV I've used in years.

quarryman wrote: »
    Dammit, that was one I actually wouldn't mind having, best AV I've used in years.

Yea i was a bit annoyed at that, Its targeted at home users so im not suprised it didnt work on 2008 R2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

It's been like that for a year. There's no hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

anyone know if this W7 is a "single build" only limit or can i reuse it on a different PC if im looking to upgrade some components?

• Advertisement

I think it counts it falls under the retail category. They might not give you full flexibility since you are supposed to be upgrading your windows from a previous version. It's definitely an end user product though.
    You're supposed to have windows already on your hard drive, so it depends on how much is being changed. You might have to think of some good excuses if you need to ring them up.

Advertisement