Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 €45.45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

eoinf wrote: »
    if i install using the trial can i buy a copy from the link and use that key with the version i have already installed?

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

If I buy this, is there a time limit as to when I use the key to activate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

No, activate whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

i just got 2 copy's no questions asked 1 down load copy and one copy in the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

spider_pig wrote: »
    i just got 2 copy's no questions asked 1 down load copy and one copy in the post :D

You can have a million copies, you are buying the 25 digit product key which will only activate one install.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does this offer allow upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit for €45?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

cgarrad wrote: »
    You can have a million copies, you are buying the 25 digit product key which will only activate one install.

i know that yea iv 4 laptops so i need to buy another two i bought 1 disc so at least ill have a disc and the rest will be down load copys where ill just need the key from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Nephew wrote: »
    Does this offer allow upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32 bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit for €45?

I don't think you can upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit. You'd need to do a full install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Adyx wrote: »
    I don't think you can upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit. You'd need to do a full install.

You won't be able to upgrade though from Vista 32 to Win7 64.
    If you format and do a full install (as in, boot up off the DVD), Windows 7 64bit will install fine.

However, bear in mind that the 'Ultimate' version is not €45, only Professional is.

Ultimate comes in at €117.45 on that site.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, these 'updates' can be used to boot up from the DVD and do a full install without issue (or for just activating a current trial or, I'd assume, non-legit version).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ordered one of these yesterday for a new HTPC/media server, went for the 64bit and gonna be installing from boot. Thanks again OP.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks Vertakill.

I kind of phrased it wrong. I meant to type does this upgrade disc include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7 Professional? If not, can I buy the 64 bit W7 Pro upgrade licence for €45 and do a clean install of 64 bit W7 Pro even though I only have a licence for 32 bit Vista Ultimate.
    Vertakill wrote: »
    You won't be able to upgrade though from Vista 32 to Win7 64.
    If you format and do a full install (as in, boot up off the DVD), Windows 7 64bit will install fine.

However, bear in mind that the 'Ultimate' version is not €45, only Professional is.

Ultimate comes in at €117.45 on that site.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, these 'updates' can be used to boot up from the DVD and do a full install without issue (or for just activating a current trial or, I'd assume, non-legit version).

can I buy the 64 bit W7 Pro upgrade licence for €45 and do a clean install of 64 bit W7 Pro even though I only have a licence for 32 bit Vista Ultimate.

Yes. Your licence for 32 bit Vista Ultimate is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I got this and installed last night and had my machine connected to my router as I thought I might be asked to activate at some time and it's after doing something to my router. Cannot access internet from any of my machines now :(

I'm putting it down to something I did and have to say the full install was very quick. Now just to get all my machines back online.

Going to buy this today, just a quick question though.
    My OS (vista 32) is on the C: drive on the pc and almost all of my media other programs are on a seperate D: drive in the pc.

If I do a full install, the programs and media on the D: drive will be left intact?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Going to buy this today, just a quick question though.
    My OS (vista 32) is on the C: drive on the pc and almost all of my media other programs are on a seperate D: drive in the pc.

If I do a full install, the programs and media on the D: drive will be left intact?

Cheers

Provided C: and D: are actually 2 different HDD's, you'll be able to do format/install on C: without interfering with D:.

If, however, they're 1 HDD split into 2 partitions, then yes, you'll erase everything on both C: and D:.

For everyone else, bear in mind these are 'Upgrade' disks so, the installer expects to see a windows folder somewhere on any of your HDD's before it installs.

There's a couple workarounds for it that are very, very easy to do if you happen to find yourself in a situation where it says your CD key is invalid.

The easiest one takes place during the installation process and it involves you not putting in your product key during the initial installation and that's the one I'd recommend. You then put the product key in once you're inside windows and everything works grand.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Provided C: and D: are actually 2 different HDD's, you'll be able to do format/install on C: without interfering with D:.
    This is true, with the caveat outlined below.
    If, however, they're 1 HDD split into 2 partitions, then yes, you'll erase everything on both C: and D:.
    This not so much. I went from 32 bit XP to 64 bit Vista and the other partitions on the hard drive were left intact. However, programs installed on D may no longer function if they were installed with dependencies on the registry in Vista. This would also be applicable if 2 separate drives were used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

For everyone else, bear in mind these are 'Upgrade' disks so, the installer expects to see a windows folder somewhere on any of your HDD's before it installs.

There's a couple workarounds for it that are very, very easy to do if you happen to find yourself in a situation where it says your CD key is invalid.

The easiest one takes place during the installation process and it involves you not putting in your product key during the initial installation and that's the one I'd recommend. You then put the product key in once you're inside windows and everything works grand.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

Complete rubbish.

Your OS will be installed on a partition, which can be 1 drive divided into 10 partitions if that's what floats your boat.

In fact, your drive must be partitioned BEFORE windows is installed anyway (if you wish to partition, and the windows DVD will do this for you should you wish).

If your drive is already partitioned with an OS on 1 partition, when you boot form the windows media, it will see both partitions, and you can install to whatever partition you like.

Also, as has already been stated numerous times, you can do a clean install with the 'upgrade' disks no problem. Its the exact same software as the 'full' licence disks, its merely the content of the licence that is different, NOT the software.

Windows 'upgrade' disks have been full versions of the software since Vista. (maybe even before, can't remember)

Thanks for the info folks, I've two seperate drive in my pc. I'll ensure that I back up all programs on all drives, just to be safe. I can reinstall everything later.

I'll leave the media, music & movies etc on the d: drive.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i have a new laptop. software trial is over. just wondering if I buy this is it just a matter of inputting a new product key when I buy it or do I need to totally uninstall and reinstall the windows package?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

i have a new laptop. software trial is over. just wondering if I buy this is it just a matter of inputting a new product key when I buy it or do I need to totally uninstall and reinstall the windows package?

Thanks.

Did your new laptop not come with Windows?? :confused::confused:

Is there no Windows key on a sticker on the laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thanks.

Sounds like you're referring to microsoft office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

sorry i meant microsoft office. it came with windows alright but the office package was only a trial version so it is now looking for a product key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

sorry i meant microsoft office. it came with windows alright but the office package was only a trial version so it is now looking for a product key.

Check this, if you're a student or have kids who are...
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Different versions of Windows 7/Windows XP/Visual Studio and lots more are free if you are a 3rd level computing student, from MSDN Academic Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I

foxerv1 wrote: »
    I

I agree.

I agree.

Stupid iPhone died before I could finish posting......

What I meant to say was I got a similar package through herself's lit software facility, a W7 Ultimate upgrade, and I can confirm it worked fir a full fresh install, so I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

On another note mine only cost me a tenner so if anyone in lit hasn't already done it I can tell you how :)

For everyone else this is a cracking deal and im tempted to pick it up myself. Does it genuinely work even if your not a student?

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Does it genuinely work even if your not a student?

Well, you have to declare that you're a student or the parent / guardian of a student. Haven't heard of them knocking on anyone's door looking for proof though.

Well, you have to declare that you're a student or the parent / guardian of a student. Haven't heard of them knocking on anyone's door looking for proof though.

Cool, il give it a shot later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

I have ordered a laptop from Dell,and I should be receiving it in the next few days.
    The unit I am getting has Windows7 Home premium pre installed and it will be used by my daughter (student), as well as the rest of the family.
    I want to upgrade to Windows7 Professional to take advantage of this great deal.
    If I purchase this upgrade will I just have to enter the product license code via the Windows upgrade software that comes pre installed with Windows7 premium on my laptop to upgrade to Windows7 Professional,or will I still have to download and burn the software to media to get the upgrade installed.
    Also will it state in the upgraded OS this license is issued to my daughter or will it be free from any such name or such restrictions.
    Also is there a time limit on the use of this software,or is this license for good.

Advertisement