Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 €45.45

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

eightyfish wrote: »
    It's more the hassle of removing and then re-installing all my programs and media. I'm still 50/50. It's a great price, and 7 looks good - but in terms of speed it seems almost identical to XP.
    i don't think so. i sent away my win7 laptop last week, and was stuck using my brother's XP laptop instead. i find XP to be much slower than 7. even doing all the usual things to speed it up (CCleaner, defrag, etc), it still took longer to respond to programs opening, booting up, and they would be similar spec laptops as well.
    win7 is a great OS imo. there's a lot of little features that really make it nice, like snap (bringing a window over to the side and auto resizing it).
    i have found some program incompatiablities (most older games though) but with a little effort, i've got them working.

Eh, did someone delete my post?
    you linked to torrents for win7 iso's. what did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

whiteman19 wrote: »
    you linked to torrents for win7 iso's. what did you expect?

Er, what's wrong with that? It's legitimate software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

if you have 4gb ram, a relatively new machine, get the 64bit version. otherwise, save yourself the hassle.

and yes this cd key works from clean install. it will install regardless you have a windows already or not.

Er, what's wrong with that? It's legitimate software.
    but an illegal way to get it.

• Advertisement

but an illegal way to get it.

No it isn't. Torrents are not illegal. Sharing copyrighted files is illegal.

Jesus. You try and help people. Won't waste my time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Technically true, but in practise they don't check.

I've bought off them a couple of times, no problems, just pick the name of a nearby college/school.

What happens if they find out you are not a student?

No it isn't. Torrents are not illegal. Sharing copyrighted files is illegal.

Jesus. You try and help people. Won't waste my time again.
    yes, is windows 7 not copyrighted material?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Chuck Norris tracks you down and gives you a round house kick.

Good prices for students software.

yes, is windows 7 not copyrighted material?

I think you know what I mean. It's not cracked, hacked or anything like that. It's as legitimate as downloading it from Microsoft directly..

Mod edit; Kotek Besar, when your post is deleted, DO NOT re-post the same thing again.

• Advertisement

I think you know what I mean. It's not cracked, hacked or anything like that. It's as legitimate as downloading it from Microsoft directly..
    but are you paying for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's more the hassle of removing and then re-installing all my programs and media. I'm still 50/50. It's a great price, and 7 looks good - but in terms of speed it seems almost identical to XP.

Let me put it this way. If you install Win 7 and everything goes to plan, you won't regret it.
    One thing, it takes a long time to download and can pause for hours during it, if you go ahead, be aware of that.

but are you paying for it?

Isn't that what the question was about? Buying it from Software4Students and installing as a clean install, hence the need for an RTM ISO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Apogee

No! It's an upgrade only so wont boot unless booted from within windows

So you must already have an OS to do this. Once you already have an OS you can upgrade to win 7 with this disk, and during this upgrade you can then upgrade over your existing install or do a clean install
    seraphimvc wrote: »
    if you have 4gb ram, a relatively new machine, get the 64bit version. otherwise, save yourself the hassle.

and yes this cd key works from clean install. it will install regardless you have a windows already or not.

Can someone actually confirm this? Can you use this CD/DVD to install Win7 onto a clean, formatted hard drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Apogee wrote: »
    Can someone actually confirm this? Can you use this CD/DVD to install Win7 onto a clean, formatted hard drive?

Yes you can. http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭LowOdour

pieface_ie wrote: »
    Chuck Norris tracks you down and gives you a round house kick.

Good prices for students software.

Lets say they decide using Chuck Norris is too expensive in these recessionary times, is it more than likely they will just bill you for the full amount of the software. Im suprised you are not obliged to use a student account to purchase stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭podge3

... but in terms of speed it seems almost identical to XP.
    I would disagree.

I upgraded my Dell Dim 3000 from XP to 7 and I find 7 much faster. Actually, the MS Win7 install checker program said that my computer was unsuitable for Win7 but I proceeded anyway.

Granted, my Xp was a few years old and was probably clogged up a bit with software but I still believe my machine is running much faster on Win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

podge3 wrote: »
    Granted, my Xp was a few years old and was probably clogged up a bit with software but I still believe my machine is running much faster on Win7.

See that's the thing. My XP is clean - I don;t have too many programs installed and I run CCleaner/defrag etc regularly, also I hibernate rather than shut down. So it's zippy.

Found another bench test that recommends XP over 7 in terms of speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I have vista business 32 bit, is it worth upgrading to this to improve gaming in general, but fps in particular?

64-bit Windows 7 Professional x64 ISO
    32-bit Windows 7 Professional x86 ISO

Kotek I appreciate anybody going out of their way to help people on the site, but i can't understand why you think its ok to download copyright software? I think there were free trial copies or it may have been beta copies before win 7 was brought to market and maybe these are copies of this??? Maybe i'm missing something, i'm not having a go at you, i can't stand microsoft either :D

omerin wrote: »
    Kotek I appreciate anybody going out of their way to help people on the site, but i can't understand why you think its ok to download copyright software?
    Microsoft permit it and host it (through Digital River) for anyone to download. It's free to install and try for up to 30 days, before having to enter a valid Product Key and activate.

I think there were free trial copies or it may have been beta copies before win 7 was brought to market and maybe these are copies of this??? Maybe i'm missing something, i'm not having a go at you, i can't stand microsoft either :D
    No, they're RTM ISOs. Full Retail versions. Same as in the shops.

To clarify, as per the MS EULA, it's the Product Key that's being purchased and the right to use the software, as opposed to the software itself.

• Advertisement

Curiosity got the better of me. Downloading...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Apologies, i didn't see your original post with the link. I thought you linked to a torrent :o

Apologies, i didn't see your original post with the link. I thought you linked to a torrent :o

I did as well, but someone deleted that, for some reason.

podge3 wrote: »
    I would disagree.

I upgraded my Dell Dim 3000 from XP to 7 and I find 7 much faster. Actually, the MS Win7 install checker program said that my computer was unsuitable for Win7 but I proceeded anyway.

I disagree also, Windows 7 runs fantastic and much better than xp on my machines. Never mind all the extra features.

center15 wrote: »
    I disagree also, Windows 7 runs fantastic and much better than xp on my machines. Never mind all the extra features.

I've been convinced, I'm downloading it at the moment, will install tonight.

I've been convinced, I'm downloading it at the moment, will install tonight.

Where are you downloading it from?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I did as well, but someone deleted that, for some reason.
    No links to torrents allowed.

I'm going to download when I get home and try it out.

center15 wrote: »
    Where are you downloading it from?

See OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭Basq

A few things to say..

Firstly, I deleted your post earlier Kotek Besar. I'm sorry I didn't mention why but I was rushing out the door. The reason I deleted it was because it linked to ThePirateBay, and although the file may or may not have been copyrighted, I'm not comfortable with having links to that particular torrent site.

Secondly, I'm unsure of the legality of this. Can someone please direct me to some literature / reference that Microsoft are hosting these files via DigitalRiver? I find it hard to believe as I've been in situations where I've been quoted €30 - €40 for replacement operating system media alone. And I've asked if there was an ISO option and was told there wasn't.

Maybe there was smoke being blown up my ass, but I'm finding the legality of this all a bit grey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

LowOdour wrote: »

Buying the student version for a non-student is a breech of the licence, which means you do not have a licence. It will be treated the same as if you had a warez version.

Advertisement