Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 €45.45

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Buying the student version for a non-student is a breech of the licence, which means you do not have a licence. It will be treated the same as if you had a warez version.

Utter jibberish, did you even take a minute to look up the terms.
    From their website

"Students and family members including parents and guardians"

Lots of boardies will have siblings/parents/children who are students and can avail of this offer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

Basq,

I bought the student version when it came out - it is hosted on digital river alright. You are buying the licence key, not the media itself - they send you a link to the files, but you could equally well use a friend's physical media to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

basquille wrote: »
    Secondly, I'm unsure of the legality of this. Can someone please direct me to some literature / reference that Microsoft

The company is registered as Software Asset Management Ireland 8-9 Hanover Street East (website) and they are listed on Microsoft's website as an authorised education reseller. Search here for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

basquille wrote: »
    A few things to say..

Firstly, I deleted your post earlier Kotek Besar. I'm sorry I didn't mention why but I was rushing out the door. The reason I deleted it was because it linked to ThePirateBay, and although the file may or may not have been copyrighted, I'm not comfortable with having links to that particular torrent site.

Secondly, I'm unsure of the legality of this. Can someone please direct me to some literature / reference that Microsoft are hosting these files via DigitalRiver? I find it hard to believe as I've been in situations where I've been quoted €30 - €40 for replacement operating system media alone. And I've asked if there was an ISO option and was told there wasn't.

Maybe there was smoke being blown up my ass, but I'm finding the legality of this all a bit grey

Don't know about the exact legality of it, but those download links (via DR) have been available for a very long time all over the internet, since October 2009 in fact.

If MS had a problem with them being available they would have been zapped.

Save yourself 40quid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

gambiaman wrote: »
    Save yourself 40quid!

No. You're not saving anything. You still need to purchase a Product Key - the licence to use the software.

Acquisition of the software itself, either using physical media or via download, is free.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/default.aspx

EDIT: Should have said. Official MS site, with 30 day trials of W7 along with other software trials. Download, burn to disc, install, enter product key which you've bought.

Alternatively, you can buy off that website linked in the 1st post, choose to download W7 from their own hosting, or wait for the package to arrive. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,830 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cheers all.

The links hosted by DigitalRiver stay, but no more links to sites like ThePirateBay.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Isn't that what the question was about? Buying it from Software4Students and installing as a clean install, hence the need for an RTM ISO?
    i get ya now. apologies, i thought you were linking to warez material that was cracked so no need for a product key.
    it's just a bog-standard ISO file you linked to with nothing done to it but you still need a product key to use it. have i got that right? :)

No. You're not saving anything. You still need to purchase a Product Key - the licence to use the software.

Acquisition of the software itself, either using physical media or via download, is free.

I know that, Basquille was saying he had been quoted 30-40euro for a replacement media.
    He had his product key already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I have used software4students site myself for 3 upgrades for friend's laptops (all students) They are hosted online however they are not ISO's, there are setup files which install over the operating system on which they are run. However they key is really the valuable part as you can use any Windows 7 upgrade ISO (once the versions match) and these keys will work. This is how I did it as I wanted a clean install.
    There's nothing illegal about it. Microsoft are pretty much giving it away because they know students are not going to buy the €180 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You can download the file from digital river and install it.

Once the 30 days are up not much happens but it says you copy is illegal.

You can then:

Step 1: Click Start, All Programs, Accessories. Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator. Enter your administrator password.

Step 2: Type the following command and press Enter:

slmgr -rearm

Note the space after slmgr and the hyphen in front of rearm.

Step 3: Restart Windows 7.

This will give you another 30 days.

You can do this up to 120 days after which you need a key.

This is not a crack, it uses a Microsoft-supplied utility called the Software License Manager.

slmgr as above.

This tool ships with Windows 7.

If you dont mind reinstalling 3 times a year W7 is basically free ;-)

Also you computer will work like clockwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

slave1 wrote: »
    Utter jibberish, did you even take a minute to look up the terms.
    From their website

"Students and family members including parents and guardians"

Lots of boardies will have siblings/parents/children who are students and can avail of this offer

If they are no longer a student, which is what was asked, then the licence expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

a question i asked but has slipped under the radar was - is this worth getting as i have vista 32 business with 4gb ram (max computer can take) in terms of improving gaming and general performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CircusIntro

jor el wrote: »
    If they are no longer a student, which is what was asked, then the licence expires.

My god you are a fool , Just admit you are talking rubbish:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

My god you are a fool , Just admit you are talking rubbish:rolleyes:

Criticise the post, not the poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm thinking of getting this for the parents, as their machine is dog slow on XP. I'll certainly download the trial to see what's what. But what happens?
    Will everything be removed when the upgrade is performed, or is everything (photos/music/documents/etc.) left alone?
    And same if we don't keep it after the trial. Is everything put back where it was, so to speak.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Soarer wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting this for the parents, as their machine is dog slow on XP. I'll certainly download the trial to see what's what. But what happens?
    Will everything be removed when the upgrade is performed, or is everything (photos/music/documents/etc.) left alone?
    And same if we don't keep it after the trial. Is everything put back where it was, so to speak.
    If there pc is running dog slow an upgrade is not going necessarily help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah I know that.

But it's the cheapest option available!

AFAIK, you can't do an upgrade from XP to 7, full install only
    You would have to backup their docs/pics/music/vids etc to external media, full install 7 and if you wanted to go back to XP , format, full XP install and copy back their docs etc

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yeah I know that.

Not really. RAM is very cheap these days and a clean up costs nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

omerin wrote: »
    a question i asked but has slipped under the radar was - is this worth getting as i have vista 32 business with 4gb ram (max computer can take) in terms of improving gaming and general performance?

Yes, I'm running 7 64-bit no driver issues and you need 64 bit for over 3GB ram as 32bit can't see 4GB even if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

You can get most Microsoft software (including Windows 7 and Visual Studio, but excluding Office) for free if you are a student member of ieee computer society, and in a registered college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah I know that.

Depends. You could buy a newer old PC for €70 and sell the old one for €20 and that might be massive speed jump.

A fresh install of any version of windows tends to speed it up, simply because you're uninstalling all the crud thats been installed, which slowed it down in the first place.

I've also noticed that the latest versions of apps like zone alarm, avg, spybot, seems to be a lot more demanding on old hardware then they used to be. On some older machines I've switched to MS Security Essentials, the default windows firewall, and its made a big difference.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Let me put it this way. If you install Win 7 and everything goes to plan, you won't regret it.

Okay - installed. And you're right, I don't. First impressions after about half an hour of using 7 are great. I'm glad I upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭g0g

Looks like a good deal! Looking for some advice on possible upgrade. I currently run Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0 Build 6002). Computer has 4GB RAM.

1) Is this likely to make my computing experience any better? Don't really have any problems at present, but seems like a great value cheap upgrade!

2) Hard to understand from the site, but would I need to backup everything first or can I simply upgrade the system and leave all programs, user files, media where they are now and still have them sitting there under the new system?

g0g wrote: »
    1) Is this likely to make my computing experience any better? Don't really have any problems at present, but seems like a great value cheap upgrade!

Yes. W7 is far superior to XP. It runs even faster than a well maintained XP on my laptop.
    g0g wrote: »
    2) Hard to understand from the site, but would I need to backup everything first or can I simply upgrade the system and leave all programs, user files, media where they are now and still have them sitting there under the new system?

Yeah, you need to copy everything off and reformat. There is an option to save your old files during the install, but it's better to start fresh. It is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

cheers op downloading now, do you need to download both of the links on the receipt or is one like the other? one is 2.2 gb and the other is 2.8 gb. anyone done this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

sorry just read one was the 64bit version:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

if i install using the trial can i buy a copy from the link and use that key with the version i have already installed?

Advertisement