Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's a great shame he went into that bush and made a double early on but he gave us a great subplot in what was an exceptional tournament.

His Sunday was fantastic and his smile on 16th after that fantastic putt today is why I and many others will continue to support him. Still enjoying everything despite how things unraveled.

He's a hero and onwards to the WGC at Firestone and the US PGA. Cheers for the excitement this weekend Paddy :)

He kinda makes you believe doesn't he?

That smile on the 16th today was magic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He's just an all-round great guy. Simple as that.

When you look at the demise of so many golfers who were hugely successful eg being Duval who popped up briefly this week it makes you respect the hunger paddy has even more.

He's a fighter. Born to compete. Problem being he competes with himself more so in the recent past but I've no problem with that as he will keep popping up every so often like the Honda and this week.

On to the next one now Padraig!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

ForeRight wrote: »
    He's just an all-round great guy. Simple as that.

When you look at the demise of so many golfers who were hugely successful eg being Duval who popped up briefly this week it makes you respect the hunger paddy has even more.

He's a fighter. Born to compete. Problem being he competes with himself more so in the recent past but I've no problem with that as he will keep popping up every so often like the Honda and this week.

On to the next one now Padraig!

+1

Huge positives to be taken from this week. Best I've seen him putt in years, holed a load of long ones just like Padraig of old.

If not for a bad tee shot on the 6th, who knows? -3 for the last 13 holes would have won it for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Ye what?? Care to elaborate??

Elaborate on what? My comment related to the 6th. I said at the time if he made double bogey his chance of winning was over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Elaborate on what? My comment related to the 6th. I said at the time if he made double bogey his chance of winning was over.

Sorry, it was in relation to the second quote, not yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I found this paragraph very interesting. It explains the last two holes while showing what a class act Padraig is.

Towards the end Harrington began to be conscious his play might affect Australian Marc Leishman, who was leading, and that then impacted on his game.
    "It was an inconsequential finish but it is still disappointing," he said.
    "I was always trying but I went to the toilet at 17 and Marc had bogeyed the one before and he wanted to hit his tee shot and I wanted to get out of the way and at that stage it was really about trying to get into the clubhouse.
    "I was trying to get out of Marc's way and I didn't really focus in on what I was doing."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2015/0720/716106-harrington-takes-positive-from-st-andrews-showing/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Padraig back in action this week at Firestone. He said on Facebook he tweaked his knee a bit but it should be ok. Dunno what his record is like at that course, I know he's not played it in a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eric the Eagle

He had a great chance to win it back in 2009. One shot clear going onto 16 but had a triple bogey, went in the water. Tiger won it in the end. Hopefully he plays like that again (apart form the 16th!)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

He had a great chance to win it back in 2009. One shot clear going onto 16 but had a triple bogey, went in the water. Tiger won it in the end. Hopefully he plays like that again (apart form the 16th!)

Was that the one where they were put on the clock near the end and Harrington seemed obviously affected by it? I remember Tiger being pretty classy afterwards, defending Paddy's pace of play and saying there shouldn't be a slow play warning at that point in a tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

loadwire wrote: »
    Was that the one where they were put on the clock near the end and Harrington seemed obviously affected by it? I remember Tiger being pretty classy afterwards, defending Paddy's pace of play and saying there shouldn't be a slow play warning at that point in a tournament.

Yes, that's the one. I think it was John Paramor who put him on the clock. Totally unnecessary to do this for a final group. They weren't that far behind as far as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

abff wrote: »
    Yes, that's the one. I think it was John Paramor who put him on the clock. Totally unnecessary to do this for a final group. They weren't that far behind as far as I remember.

They were told on 16th fairway IIRC and he seemed to rush his 3rd shot, hit it long into trouble. That was the start of his downfall IMO as he really looked like winning. He did something similar the following week in the PGA when leading or thereabouts and we all know about his form since then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

fullstop wrote: »
    ... and we all know about his form since then.

Yep, current Honda Champion and adding another PGA next week.
    Yes, I still believe

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭newport2

fullstop wrote: »
    They were told on 16th fairway IIRC and he seemed to rush his 3rd shot, hit it long into trouble. That was the start of his downfall IMO as he really looked like winning. He did something similar the following week in the PGA when leading or thereabouts and we all know about his form since then.

Remember that class 8 iron Woods hit into that green too to a couple of feet.

As Woods himself said it had developed into a great battle and it was disappointing the way it fizzled out after official intervention.

"Harrington, while not blaming the slow-play policy, conceded that he was rushed out during a series of shots in the rough on his way to making a triple bogey, going from a one-shot lead to a three-shot deficit.

Woods was more direct in his comments to the Irishman as they shook hands on the 18th green.

"Like I was telling him out there, 'I'm sorry that John got in the way of a great battle,' because it was such a great battle for 16 holes," Woods said. "And unfortunately, that happened."
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Actions against slow play should be enforced at all times... regardless of circumstances. Watching Padraig close out the Honda Classic this year, whilst great to see him win, was painfully slow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Always felt P was one of the few players who actually fancied themselves against Tiger, most capitulated

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

2 over par 72 to start

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

paulie21 wrote: »
    2 over par 72 to start

Tied 44th. Hopefully he'll be around for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

77 players, what will they cut it to

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

No cut this week

BOB81 wrote: »
    No cut this week

Great - seems only right with a field like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭death1234567

How does he qualify for this wgc event? The Honda win?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

finished tied 49th, +4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

How does he qualify for this wgc event? The Honda win?

Yup

dball wrote: »
    finished tied 49th, +4

Hope he pulls himself up the leaderboard this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Good man paddy!!!!

Can't believe he was stupid enough to play a game of tennis. I heard Spieth went for a swim in his pool last week... again stupid, sure anything could happen in the run up to the last major.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

HighLine wrote: »
    Can't believe he was stupid enough to play a game of tennis. I heard Spieth went for a swim in his pool last week... again stupid, sure anything could happen in the run up to the last major.

Heaven forbid they might spoil your entertainment by having fun and staying in shape...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ronjo

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Heaven forbid they might spoil your entertainment by having fun and staying in shape...

Emmmmm I think he was being a bit sarcastic..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Just had a look at Padraig's website and this is the final paragraph of his review of last week's tournament.

"Enough about me though, because it was Shane's week. What a great performance, I don't think I have ever been so nervous watching golf. I got to see the last six holes as I was flying up to Whistling Straights. It is definitely easier to be playing rather than watching!! He was the deserved winner and an extremely popular one. We have become good friends over the last few years and I am thrilled for him. We got to have a little celebration here in Sheboygan last night and it was great to be able to congratulate him. I have found that too often when you win out here there is no one around. It was a quiet affair but still great fun. Well done again Shane, I'm absolutely thrilled for you."

Just shows yet again what a class act Padraig is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

An absolute hero

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement