Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

HighLine wrote: »
    Oh come on! Did Rory's actions leave you that scarred? I think I have see him lose it twice on a golf course.

Anyway... it's great seeing Padraig in such good spirits... and his excitement for The Masters is almost like it's his first time again!

I agree with both points. I never really mind seeing stuff like what Rory did earlier as long as it's not a regular thing. Just shows he cares, we all get mad on the course I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

He was the last person interviewed on the Late Late only a few weeks ago when they thought he was washed up and that they were just fitting in a guy plugging Dunnes Stores gear. It's like Match of the Day - if you play well you get on the show first!

Interesting comment that he thinks his rivals fear him when he's in the zone. I think he's right. Be great to see him there more often and how they react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Sorry don't get you - which day ?

Today
    or
    release of clothing.

The timing of the free T shirts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

He was the last person interviewed on the Late Late only a few weeks ago when they thought he was washed up and that they were just fitting in a guy plugging Dunnes Stores gear. It's like Match of the Day - if you play well you get on the show first!

Interesting comment that he thinks his rivals fear him when he's in the zone. I think he's right. Be great to see him there more often and how they react.

As I was watching it - I was curious what Reed would make of Padraig. As Reed wouldn't have been around him too much.

Reed is fast - I'd imagine (fix's brain here) that Padraig's carry on would drive Reed nuts. I was watching Reed's face and his body language a bit - there was a bit of looking up and down with his caddy.

In fairness (more in the playoff) the notebook looking was nuts by Padraig.

But then Padraig won - was all a bit crazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Better than breaking it I suppose.

One of the things that made me a Padraig fan, zero petulance. For all the ups and down his on course demeanour doesn't change. Still laugh at the time he came up the 18th eating an ice cream after missing the cut by miles at the Wentworth PGA some years ago.

• Advertisement

As I was watching it - I was curious what Reed would make of Padraig. As Reed wouldn't have been around him too much.

Reed is fast - I'd imagine (fix's brain here) that Padraig's carry on would drive Reed nuts. I was watching Reed's face and his body language a bit - there was a bit of looking up and down with his caddy.

Buddy reckons he wrecked both Poults' and Reeds game completely on the day. ;-)

I'll be 100 % honest and say it crossed my mind.

Well - not with poults - as poults hasn't got it in stroke play end game.

I knew poults would go - but was fascinated how Reed would cope.

Padraig's carry on was a joke. One time - I sort of didn't care as he won - but if someone was doing it to my man - I'd be throwing clubs :D

Nonsense, they were right up on the group in front before Poulter started hacking. Watched it all live and it was only from 17 on that Padraig got noticeable slower which was understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Just watched paddy on the late late.Hes just a gent of a man. You can just feel the positive energy from him!

I was thinking after, i would genuinely struggle to think of such a universally admired and more importantly loved sportsperson of our generation.for example, in soccer, robbie and roy keane divide opinion, in rugby, no doubt some irrational munster "fans" resent the fuss made over BOD compared to ROG, maybe katie taylors in your face chistianity isnt everyones cup of tea. I could go on and its all just my own opinion. Dont get me wrong i am huge fans of all the aforementioned.

The only one i can think of that reached the top of their game and who i think is universally loved and admired would be ken doherty.

Just my opinion and im sure ive missed some who would be in the same category but to me paddy is the ultimate sports personality in this country both for the die hards like us who follow him week in week out and the neutrals out there who have a passing interest generally. He's a great ambasesdor for the countrybin general and always conducts himself with dignity and integrity....hes a living legend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

Really enjoyed that interview with Padraig tonight. Short and sweet, but can't say anything negative about Tubridy - I thought he handled it just right.

• Advertisement

I would say he intimidates guys for sure, in all kinds of ways. And I'm sure he's well aware of it and plays to it. People are generally intimidated by what they don't understand and when it comes to Harri I'd say they're flummoxed. Even the man himself hardly knows what's coming next a lot of the time!

Like, the way he congratulated Berger on the first tee for the play off was textbook intimidation. Big handshake, controlling the moment, like a statesman. Same with the manufactured wait on the 17th the second time around. Sure McIlroy is his buddy and even slags off his slow play. It's a strength that Harri plays to.

I would say he intimidates guys for sure, in all kinds of ways. And I'm sure he's well aware of it and plays to it. People are generally intimidated by what they don't understand and when it comes to Harri I'd say they're flummoxed. Even the man himself hardly knows what's coming next a lot of the time!

Like, the way he congratulated Berger on the first tee for the play off was textbook intimidation. Big handshake, controlling the moment, like a statesman. Same with the manufactured wait on the 17th the second time around. Sure McIlroy is his buddy and even slags off his slow play. It's a strength that Harri plays to.

So - is it gamesmanship ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Great stuff by paddy on the late late. I could listen to him all day. The shouts at the end from the crowd "go on Padraig" were brilliant.

he is such an open and likeable fella.

So - is it gamesmanship ?

To an extent, absolutely. I think he's too smart not to realise what his assets are and how to use then. Like, during his Gaiety talks he spoke about the moment with Garcia crossing the Barry Burn in 07 at Carnoustie. If you remember, they came head to head crossing the 17th/18th bridge and Garcia smiled awkwardly in acknowledgement of the situation. Harri chose to interpret it as Garcia being smug. Now he admitted that he wasn't fully sure if Garcia was being an arse. But by interpreting it as a smart Alec smile he responded by blanking Garcia. Did it intimidate Garcia in the context of what followed? It appeared to. Harri just doesn't get himself into enough situations anymore where that stuff has an effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

To an extent, absolutely. I think he's too smart not to realise what his assets are and how to use then. Like, during his Gaiety talks he spoke about the moment with Garcia crossing the Barry Burn in 07 at Carnoustie. If you remember, they came head to head crossing the 17th/18th bridge and Garcia smiled awkwardly in acknowledgement of the situation. Harri chose to interpret it as Garcia being smug. Now he admitted that he wasn't fully sure if Garcia was being an arse. But by interpreting it as a smart Alec smile he responded by blanking Garcia. Did it intimidate Garcia in the context of what followed? It appeared to. Harri just doesn't get himself into enough situations anymore where that stuff has an effect.

Hmmm...I really don't think he was playing at any mind games on the 17th during the playoff...he made several attempts to address the ball and it sounded like there was a building site behind him, they had already started taking down spectator stands nearby. He looked seriously flustered and pissed off with it, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭abff

It great (not really) how everyone who has an opinion expresses it as a fact. I think it's very unfair to accuse Padraig of gamesmanship unless you know for sure that his behaviour is deliberately contrived in order to put off his opponents. And I don't see how anyone could arrive at that conclusion unless you had a conversation with him where he admitted that it was part of his arsenal.

One of the biggest gentlemen in the game being accused of gamesmanship lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think 'lovably credited with being wily' is more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

One of the biggest gentlemen in the game being accused of gamesmanship lol!!

I don't think it's gamesmanship as such but I do agree with a lot of what Seve says.

Yes Padraig is undoubtedly a gentleman.
    However I would also suggest that he is a man who plays to win and is well aware of how his play is perceived by playing partners and competitors alike.

Faced with this - does he do the "gentlemanly" thing and chage his game (speed) to suit those around him? No - he does what he believes is best for him and his game irrespective of the affect it may have on those playing with him and plays at the pace that is best for him. As he is 100% entitled to do so.

Thats not gamesmanship - that playing to your strengths in my opinion.

On a slightly off topic note on Reed being rattled. I don't think he looked happy after he got wet on the home stretch and if anything looked kind of stroppy.
    Did anybody else notice Poultors facial reaction to Reed holing out on 18? At the time - it looked to me like Reed walked on his line but I could have that a**ways to be fair.

4 days on btw and I'm still smiling about Monday. This weekends play is just a bit of a come down now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

I think your way off the mark here, he's not the quickest cat in the world thats for sure, but I don't think he tries to intimidate any one, his game may, as they know when he is on he can hit the shot.
    As for the "Manufactured" wait on 17 in the play off, apparently it was a couple of guys emptying bins into a buggy from the corporate stands. He said in an interview afterwards he was not going to hit the shot till he was ready, and quite rightly so, after what he did in regulation play. Was Berger intimidated by the hand shake or the wait? I wouldn't of thought so, I'd say he was intimidated by the quality of shot and the fact he is in a play off with a 3 time major winner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We need to change this thread title to give P his Legend status, simple as...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I wouldn't call it gamesmanship but he did control the moment with the handshake. Big outstretched hand and pulled him in ever so slightly.
    It's just a asserting dominance probably doesn't even know he's doing it, we're all creatures from the animal kingdom after all. Certain people are naturally more dominant over others.
    Anyone read "the naked ape" it's a good read.

Reckon your way off on the 17th though. The shot was amazing and a killer blow.

I think it would be naive not to think a man who has gorged himself on sports psychology all his career - he was passing out 'Golf is not a game of perfect' by Rotella to his amateur buddies back in the 90s - wouldn't be aware of how to use his 'presence' to the full. I'd say he prides himself on it. He was beaming telling Tubridy that his colleagues fancy him when he's over a must make putt. I'd say he loves the idea of psyching out rivals. Maybe I'm totally wrong. Sure it's just an opinion. I'm not claiming any of it as fact.

I think it would be naive not to think a man who has gorged himself on sports psychology all his career - he was passing out 'Golf is not a game of perfect' by Rotella to his amateur buddies back in the 90s - wouldn't be aware of how to use his 'presence' to the full. I'd say he prides himself on it. He was beaming telling Tubridy that his colleagues fancy him when he's over a must make putt. I'd say he loves the idea of psyching out rivals. Maybe I'm totally wrong. Sure it's just an opinion. I'm not claiming any of it as fact.

Exactly. The world number 1 can be labelled childish yet it doesn't seem that poor aul Padraig can delve into a bit of gamesmanship at any stage. But then that's not fact either.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

I remember it clearly. Padraig had just hit two in the drink and looked like he was doing a Van de Velde.... Definite smirk from Garcia as they passed.... that's what I thought at the time. No way it was sympathetic smile, or anything like it. Wasn't a nice guy then, may have mellowed a bit since. Was great to see Padraig beating him again at the PGA. Was dead right to blank him first time. He got beaten but wanted to make it all about him. Go on Padraig! Loved the interview.

I don't know what Padraig was doing with his notebook.

Must see can I find footage. But would put most people off.

Not sure if it was intentional - or part of his mental process. Maybe Padraig was just nervous - in a strange way, there was more on the line for Padraig.

I love the guy - but

go to 1hr53mins in this.

Reed is waiting to putt watch.

Is there any need of half of that in fairness?

Is there any need of half of that in fairness?

I think he is just nervous.

But was watching it myself - going , what is he doing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I remember it clearly. Padraig had just hit two in the drink and looked like he was doing a Van de Velde.... Definite smirk from Garcia as they passed.... that's what I thought at the time. No way it was sympathetic smile, or anything like it. Wasn't a nice guy then, may have mellowed a bit since. Was great to see Padraig beating him again at the PGA. Was dead right to blank him first time. He got beaten but wanted to make it all about him. Go on Padraig! Loved the interview.

"I remember it clearly"

Your hatred and bitterness speaks volumes. You must be very proud of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭JohnnyLocke

I don't know what Padraig was doing with his notebook.

Must see can I find footage. But would put most people off.

Not sure if it was intentional - or part of his mental process. Maybe Padraig was just nervous - in a strange way, there was more on the line for Padraig.

I love the guy - but

go to 1hr53mins in this.

Reed is waiting to putt watch.

His notebook is a chart of the greens. Most players on tour use these. Reed also uses his chart. Go to 2hr 13 mins. This is standard procedure with the pros nowadays. This isn't gamesmanship or deliberate slow play? It's routine!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement