Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I traveled on Monday and then spent forty minutes with Pete Cowen on Tuesday, then left it at that. As I was in the Wednesday pro-am, I wasn't to pushed on seeing the course on Tuesday. I watched the Manchester City and Barcelona game and then went out for dinner with Bob Rotella. It was my first time seeing both Pete and Bob this year. Pete gave me a few pointers but in general thought what I was doing was right. Bob and myself had a good chat over dinner about what I am doing and I explained to him that I feel that I turned the corner last weekend. By separating my mental approach from the outcome of a good or bad shot it made a huge difference to me. He agreed with what I was saying and was happy to hear that I had found the solution myself.

http://www.padraigharrington.com/contact.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You know with this 2.5yr exemption he has a fair chance of making the Top 25 career money earners which will earn him another years exemption should he choose to use it, 43 now, almost 46 when his current exemption runs out, top 50 exemption gets him to 47 and a top 25 would get him to 48, that's pretty much his career...and all this assumes he does not win again which would of course give him (possibly) other exemptions

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I'd certainly say he's waking up this morning feeling a whole lot better about life. Hopefully he enjoys this one, think he's coming home for a week or two which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its just sinking in with me this morning what has happened here - and im loving it.

Back in top 100 in the world for first time since 2011 (I think)

PGA card for 2 years - plus I think the rest of this year - because this win gives him an exemption

Most importantly of all - he now can enjoy the benefit of having the self belief that he can actually do it - that this win should give him.

Most impressive though was the way that the win was achieved inspite of not always having a perfect game throughout the tournament.

What a man - what a legend

Old diesel wrote: »
    Its just sinking in with me this morning what has happened here - and im loving it.

PGA card for 2 years - plus I think the rest of this year - because this win gives him an exemption

Most importantly of all - he now can enjoy the benefit of having the self belief that he can actually do it - that this win should give him.

Most impressive though was the way that the win was achieved inspite of not always having a perfect game throughout the tournament.

Showed great mental strength on this front. He's the first player in 11 years to win a PGA tour event having had two double bogeys in the final round.

• Advertisement

Showed great mental strength on this front. He's the first player in 11 years to win a PGA tour event having had two double bogeys in the final round.

In a way because he actually got the win - its almost better that it happened that way.

Gives the win more substance given that he had to really battle back to win having hit some difficulty.

in fairness - I think he was showing definite signs of moving in a better direction in recent months

Even in Pebble Beach a few weeks ago - I don't think the end result reflected what he did there - it was really 2 trible bogies that messed him up - the rest of that tournament showed promise I thought.

Its also good for him to see what HE can do

In a way because he actually got the win - its almost better that it happened that way.

Gives the win more substance given that he had to really battle back to win having hit some difficulty.

in fairness - I think he was showing definite signs of moving in a better direction in recent months

Even in Pebble Beach a few weeks ago - I don't think the end result reflected what he did there - it was really 2 trible bogies that messed him up - the rest of that tournament showed promise I thought.

Its also good for him to see what HE can do

Yeah at Pebble Beach he should have made the cut but didn't, followed that up the week after by making the cut at Riviera. I'd say making that cut was a bit of a load of the mind, allowed him to play with the freedom we saw this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

eh? We all love Caroline here!

I was commending her..a great boost to give him before heading out...ie to back himself.

Good woman Caroline, sure as hell beats "what time will you be back at" or "again" or "you're not playing tomorrow too?"

Can't keep up with this thread, great post interview here, sounds like he had a good dinner Sunday night with Shane and Stephen Grant, living the dream eh

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/03/02/padraig-harrington-news-conference-after-winning-the-honda-class.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Loire wrote: »
    I was commending her..a great boost to give him before heading out...ie to back himself.

tis alright. tis alright. I've calmed down now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wasn't he ranked top 100 as recent as 2013, sure didn't he play McDowell in WGC matchplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Just watching it now. I adore Harrington and I'm delighted with his win but his pace of play is shocking. There's no doubt in my mind it affected Reed. I don't blame Padraig though, I blame the tour for not doing anything about slow play. 3 and a half for 11 holes. Poulter too, on the hole he had the 7.

Padraig's caddie on the 17th 'are you happy with the club'? Padraig said 'Ahhh I think I have the right club'. ffs any caddy worth his salt would of stepped in there and reassured him he had the right club.

Well done again anyway, Padraig.

Legend.

Tilikum wrote: »
    Just watching it now. I adore Harrington and I'm delighted with his win but his pace of play is shocking. There's no doubt in my mind it affected Reed. I don't blame Padraig though, I blame the tour for not doing anything about slow play. 4 hours for 12 holes. Poulter too, on the hole he had the 7.

Padraig's caddie on the 17th 'are you happy with the club'? Padraig said 'Ahhh I think I have the right club'. ffs any caddy worth his salt would of stepped in there and reassured him he had the right club.

Well done again anyway, Padraig.

Legend.

I think having followed them over the course of the day they seem to have it as part of their routine that they both ask each other are they happy with everything before the shot. Also I think Ronan followed up Harrington's "I think it's the right club" by saying "Yeah it's definitely the right club." He was proved to be correct as well in the play off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I think having followed them over the course of the day they seem to have it as part of their routine that they both ask each other are they happy with everything before the shot. Also I think Ronan followed up Harrington's "I think it's the right club" by saying "Yeah it's definitely the right club." He was proved to be correct as well in the play off ;)

He hit 5 iron on the 17th then 6 iron in the play off. That's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

It's actually only two years since Padraig was in the top 50. I remember when he was playing in the WGC matchplay and it was touch and go whether he would stay in the top 50 and qualify for the next WGC a couple of weeks later. At the end, it depended on whether or not Shane Lowry won his next match at the matchplay. Shane lost and Padraig scraped in in 50th place.

He stayed in the top 60 for another couple of months and then began to slide down the rankings. Hopefully, he will build on this week's performance and get back into the top 50 and stay there for a while. It would be great to see him qualify for the Olympics, but he will need a lot of strong performances to get there.

His win guarantees him a card until the end of the 2016/17 season. It will make it a lot easier for him to plan his year, but I hope we will get to see him play a few tournaments in Europe in addition to his PGA Tour events.

I agree that one of the most impressive things about his win was the way he bounced back from the double bogey at the 17th. That showed great fortitude and was reminiscent of his Open win at Carnoustie. I remember at the time someone saying that "Padraig doesn't do simple" or words to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

slave1 wrote: »
    Good woman Caroline, sure as hell beats "what time will you be back at" or "again" or "you're not playing tomorrow too?"

Can't keep up with this thread, great post interview here, sounds like he had a good dinner Sunday night with Shane and Stephen Grant, living the dream eh

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/03/02/padraig-harrington-news-conference-after-winning-the-honda-class.html

Class-

God, he gives so much - so much more than most modern sport people.
    Joy to listen. What actual golf fans want.

Even the press - have to get use to him again.

Wasn't he ranked top 100 as recent as 2013, sure didn't he play McDowell in WGC matchplay.

Your right - my mistake - just read an article from 2013 which implied that he was number 77 at that time.

Ironically - the article was written about a nightmare round of 76 that he shot in a US event.

my apologies

Tilikum wrote: »
    He hit 5 iron on the 17th then 6 iron in the play off. That's what I was told.

In the interview I read, linked a couple of pages back he says it was a 5 iron both times:
    Q. What was the club on 17?
    PÁDRAIG HARRINGTON: 5‑iron both times. Three‑quarter 5‑iron both times. I'd have hit 6‑iron if there wasn't water short‑‑ actually the water left of it was pin‑high. That was the danger area for me. That would have been a really perfect 6‑iron, so a three‑quarter 5‑iron. I tend to play my best golf in the windier conditions to have soft enough greens that I can hit knock‑down shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

In the interview I read, linked a couple of pages back he says it was a 5 iron both times:

Video of that full interview here:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

abff wrote: »
    I remember at the time someone saying that "Padraig doesn't do simple" or words to that effect.

you could hear the commentators beginning to whinge about slow play and him taking his time consulting with caddy and being exact in the various yardages when he was taking his approach shot on the 18th. It was this precision that won him $1 million. I never understand when the commentators start with this moaning, if a player is permitted a certain amount of time and they want to use it then so be it, especially with what was at stake yesterday.

• Advertisement

Padraig - sort of said, what had been said on here earlier.

Winning on the PGA is typically going to be a sprint - and harder set ups, is where he feels it will not be a sprint. This is his chance.

Sadly - I don't think that has changed now. And week to week , these young lads with 5/6 under pars - will be frequent. On good scoring - easier courses.

Will be interesting to see how he manages his schedule. He has literally had no plan for the last while. Not sure at this stage - if family will move over - he seems too settled in Dublin. But the lads living in Florida - have a major advantage over the rest.

Realistically it is only a few years to go.

There are still many concerns for me about his game.
    His putting is still an issue.
    He has mental lapses. But all golfers do.

But Padraig is never going to get fully out of his way - as Bob would say.

The positives - he is swinging very well. Winning gives confidence - more serious than all that - He is back in his job. The insecurity of were he was - has not been mentioned , must have been some weight on him and his family.

One other thing - that has to be mentioned - the pace was terrible , his notebook checking on green must have been hard for the guys playing with him - I wonder was it the breaks - or a mental routine.

I'm delighted - but the whole thing was a bit mental. It was like The Rumble in the Jungle - Padraig had the experience when needed.

'slow' play, sure they were close enough to the crowd ahead of them, who in turn were close enough etc. etc.
    I was loving it all so enjoying it all the more, great Irish golfer in the sun, thoughts of next weekend spring to mind...

Will be interesting to see how he manages his schedule...

I think he will remain faithful to his current sponsors invites and then without the need to use them to get his card he will cut back and play tournaments and courses that suit him as a player, in any case he always was one for LOTS of golf a la Els

slave1 wrote: »
    I think he will remain faithful to his current sponsors invites and then without the need to use them to get his card he will cut back and play tournaments and courses that suit him as a player, in any case he always was one for LOTS of golf a la Els

Yes your right - he will stay miles away from the dire -21 events.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

Sensational victory. Played really well when the pressure was on. Here's hoping for major number 4 this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭ronjo

Playing 5 weeks in a row might actually be good for him. It might keep him out of his own head when he has tournaments to play and not weeks on end to dream up a new improved change to his swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Well done Padraic, I love it when the begrudgers and hurlers on the ditch get a kick in the nuts, great example to all sports people in a slump in form, there's another major to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

I think he needs to overhaul his swing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Fair play, I had written him off to be honest. It just shows you that a lot of golf is in the head and if Padraig can forget what's in his head for a 9 holes he can still compete at the top end. Huge surprise to see him turn it around on the back nine. If he can putt as aggressively in other tournaments he might have a chance for another win. His cards still have too many ups and downs for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The positive I can take out of it is that he could have won it by 10 shots if things went a little better, slightly better decision making, I thought he had missed his opportunity on the Sunday night and gave him little chance on the Monday, when think of the putts etc that did not sink I hope for another major

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement