Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its amazing the way he bounced back in the 3rd round yesterday - in the 4th round today after the difficulties at the start of the 4th round last night.

And of course that birdie on 18 after the double bogie on 17 today - and making such a good job of said 17th hole in the play off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slave1 wrote: »
    All this talk about the win and The Masters, what about THE RYDER CUP

Well he would need to play enough counting events in Europe, while playing mostly in the US - or make a major leap up the rankings.
    Darren could pick him of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

-9 for the back nine this week, -1 for the "Bear Trap" including todays double bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Senna wrote: »
    Delighted for him, such a big putt to hold on 18 to force a play off and I'm sure Burger is one for the future.

P.s I love Monday golf, from 2pm in work we just sat infront of the TV and it just ended in perfect time to head home for the day.

Public sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭G1032

HighLine wrote: »
    Padraig getting massive plaudits all over the twitersphere... except from Justin who didn't consider him worth mentioning... perhaps us Boardsies should remind Justin who won today?

https://twitter.com/JustinRose99/status/572458881726746625

Just wtf is his problem? That's really really odd from Rose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

G1032 wrote: »
    Just wtf is his problem? That's really really odd from Rose.

He's under the same management team as Berger. For all we know the tweet was sent out by someone in marketing.

Relax lads :) we don't need the approval of Rose, Padraig is our petal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

who gives a flying **** what Rose thinks.:pac: This is Padraig's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Great stuff from Padraig today. I'll openly admit I was one of the serious doubters about whether he would ever be back in contention, never mind a winner. This has the potential to completely reinvigorate his career. Will really enjoy watching him in Augusta.

Well done Padraig!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Just calming down now and going back over some of the best moments from today..

A small thing that stands out for me is:
    On his way to the play off he stopped to sign an autograph for someone.

The Sky commentators picked up on it instantly saying it showed the kind of guy he is.

I think that small moment sums up PH perfectly.

Probably 99% of other golfers (ok so maybe that's a biased fugure) wouldn't have even noticed the lad looking for the autograph in that high pressure situation, but Padraig, with possibly the remainder of his career in the balance, stopped and signed the autograph..

What a gentleman, what a sportsman, what a LEGEND..!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Well roger me rigid with a radish.

That is indeed, as they say, 'back' all right. One might almost say, 'with a bang'. 'Boom goes the dynamite' even.

Didnt see it coming, but very impressive given the difficult years wandering in the wilderness, and delighted for Ireland's greatest ever sportsman. Admirable character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I actually had few quid ew on Berger, but I could not be more happy for Harrington.

You can say or hate him all you like, but the one thing nobody can say about him is that he is a bottler or a quiter. Never once did I hear him moan or whinge. He kept believing, he kept on trying and today should be a inspiration to us all to never give up.

I never thought I would see the day he would be in Top 5 again never mind winning. Really am pleased for him and hopefully he can maybe spring another run for a major again.

When you see the player Tiger is now who imo is just a moaner and quiter and the fighting instinct in Harrington I know which rather I would look up to. Tiger is maybe the greatest but even he does not have the bottle of Harrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

PARlance wrote: »
    He's under the same management team as Berger. For all we know the tweet was sent out by someone in marketing.

Relax lads :) we don't need the approval of Rose, Padraig is our petal :)

Hope you're right. I think Rose is a decent guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

I am over the moon for Paddy ..... what a shot to flag on the par 3 play off hole .... #hero

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Didn't get a tap done today because of Mr Harrington, legend

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

:)

In early 2011 – someone very close to me was in St Luke’s Hospital in Rathgar– they treat very serious types of cancer there. Treatment can be painful, long and terrifying, for the patient in particular, but also their family.

But – Luke’s is an incredible place – with charity at the core. It also prides itself, on the patient experience. During a particular low point, in the months of being there – I went for a walk around the gardens. And behind a hedge row, rather out of place , a putting green – a perfect putting green.

Amazing – such a brilliant idea. An escape and peaceful oasis from the fear and dark hole of cancer. I looked around for an explanation – almost hidden in modesty, a plaque to commemorate Paddy Harrington. I was speechless (as loved Padraig from his majors) – but what a class understated thing to do.

The next day – I had my putter with me. I had not been playing golf much, before or during – but this was almost the re-introduction to golf. An escape.

But – anyway – that little tale, is a little insight, of how class a bloke Paddy and his family are.

So tonight – I’ll raise a glass (Almost 4 years on) to Padraig and his dad – and say , your right lads , never give up. There is always hope – and if not , moments of joy in our darkest hours.

http://www.friendsofstlukes.ie/products.88.html#

(Picture 2 of 15)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Thanks for the story fix. The green is cut twice a week, paid for by the friendsofstlukes

:)

In early 2011 – someone very close to me was in St Luke’s Hospital in Rathgar– they treat very serious types of cancer there. Treatment can be painful, long and terrifying, for the patient in particular, but also their family.

But – Luke’s is an incredible place – with charity at the core. It also prides itself, on the patient experience. During a particular low point, in the months of being there – I went for a walk around the gardens. And behind a hedge row, rather out of place , a putting green – a perfect putting green.

Amazing – such a brilliant idea. An escape and peaceful oasis from the fear and dark hole of cancer. I looked around for an explanation – almost hidden in modesty, a plaque to commemorate Paddy Harrington. I was speechless (as loved Padraig from his majors) – but what a class understated thing to do.

The next day – I had my putter with me. I had not been playing golf much, before or during – but this was almost the re-introduction to golf. An escape.

But – anyway – that little tale, is a little insight, of how class a bloke Paddy and his family are.

So tonight – I’ll raise a glass (Almost 4 years on) to Padraig and his dad – and say , your right lads , never give up. There is always hope – and if not , moments of joy in our darkest hours.

http://www.friendsofstlukes.ie/products.88.html#

(Picture 2 of 15)
    Ah that's magic.......and what a brilliant idea.

Lads - when is the replay on sky.

Maybe there isn't a replay ?

No replay.

It was all a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Apparently around 11:30 tonight.

• Advertisement

No replay.

It was all a dream.

It does feel a bit strange lads.

Have to say - thanks to all on here - it was truely an epic collective online experience.

Like - in the old days when the world got together to listen on radio. Except this was a couple of online golf nerds.

Now - PARlance - that was an EPIC thread.

:D
    gladrags wrote: »
    Apparently around 11:30 tonight.

3 pints please :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Final Round replay now 9.30 to 12.30 , Sky Sports 4.

Winning so early in the year makes it as good as a 3 year exemption, can plan his season on both sides of the Atlantic now without over playing like last season.

Can someone explain that? what exemptions does he get for this. Is it all majors this year? USA tour next year? Majors next year?

I'm on cloud nine here. Such a fantastic person. Happier than I was after Liverpool, my team since 1978, won; happier than the afterglow of beating England in the rugby. Just delighted for him. That last iron having been repeatedly interrupted on the tee, amazing stuff, after splash half hour before. The young fella never had a chance really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Im still very emotional over today.

I know I had a laugh about Padraig over the last couple of years but I really never lost complete confidence in him. He's just too hungry and hard working for it.

I still think he's going to give us another epic Sunday evening in a major. Wether he wins one or not I don't know but I firmly believe he will be well in the mix at some stage.

Final Round replay now 9.30 to 12.30 , Sky Sports 4.

God, I might just watch it all again!

vienne86 wrote: »
    God, I might just watch it all again!

Watch it... I might start updated the thread as he goes along :)

Par on 8, steady start.
    Be great if he could hang in for a T10 spot.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Im still very emotional over today.

I know I had a laugh about Padraig over the last couple of years but I really never lost complete confidence in him. He's just too hungry and hard working for it.

I still think he's going to give us another epic Sunday evening in a major. Wether he wins one or not I don't know but I firmly believe he will be well in the mix at some stage.

me too obvioulsy :P

I know we did get into a joke on this thread - over last few years.

I'll be honest - I had serious doubts at times.

But - I was the same as above - I didn't think he could win in US - but The Open or Irish Open was on.

Another Open would/will be epic - but he had in my eyes another 5-6 efforts at one.

Watch it... I might start updated the thread as he goes along :)

Par on 8, steady start.
    Be great if he could hang in for a T10 spot.

Genius idea, go for it, I'll be reading!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Please don't! :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement