Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the worst thing you have ever seen in real life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I saw a woman being run over by a truck at a shopping centre..She was crossing the zebra crossing with her pram and truck went over her but the pram got wedged at an angle between the axle and back wheel...I can still hear the child screaming...

I also saw a woman being sucked under a truck in Christchurch, I was sitting in traffic at the lights and the woman walk out in front of a bus and the truck took off and caused a vacum that sucked her under, I can still see her body freezing up and the truck wheels dragging her along the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Probably a skanger mother cracking her wee lad across the face and knocking him to the ground.

What was the little lad doing though? Making noise in a public place? If so I thoroughly approve of this lady skanger, more power to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

When I was about ten I saw a cow about to give birth, basically it was walking around the field with a calfs head hangin out of its arse... I will never forget the image!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Maverick88 wrote: »
    The guy mentioned previously with the back to front legs was in Wexford last Tuesday/Wednesday outside Shaws. He was kneeling down but instead of his legs being behind him from the kneecap down they were out in front of him. Didn't realise he was begging

Yeah I seen him in Wexford town too. He really does get around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The number on the weighing scales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

over 900 posts in 6 months is not exactly "rarely" posting now is it?

This forum as in After hours. Thought you would have had more than 2 thanks for such an intelligent and witty comment though.

Also guess i'll have to video tape and document my next trip to Palestine with the IPSC just in case i mention it here and need to upload it if it's validity is called into question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

This forum as in After hours. Thought you would have had more than 2 thanks for such an intelligent and witty comment though.

Also guess i'll have to video tape and document my next trip to Palestine with the IPSC just in case i mention it here and need to upload it if it's validity is called into question.

Well, not all of us have the same creative imagination as you El Horseboxo...

And I'm surprised that you don't have a whole camera crew following you around on your adventures, considering the action packed, life-endangering exploits you are involved in (and which are meticulously recounted on your various boards.ie instalments). :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

mikom wrote: »
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

is this from a movie or something? dumb ass post either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

A suicide attempt and my friends almost dying in a car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ballinue

In my younger days I was a member of a sub aqua club and we were regularally called out on drownings and sometimes the person drowned would
    have been missing for in some cases many months and be in a bad state
    of decomposition, hardly recognizeable as human.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Seen two lads stab and try and kill a man with butchers knives in front of the guys own kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Worst thing I seen was one of my neighbours just taking off on holiday and leaving a dog to starve in the back garden. Some crazy lady keeps putting food through a fence though:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

cool get the vid with the IPSC and another Flotilla massacre !!!

Irish need to worry about their own people instead of running around looking for the next poor other country who needs our help and money, tell the other countries, "sorry lads, theres a recession, cant make it this year"

tits:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Saw a man fall off a ladder while painting my local football club, the walls were fairly high he was painting, bust his head open and broke a leg, he wasnt seriously injured thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Well, not all of us have the same creative imagination as you El Horseboxo...

And I'm surprised that you don't have a whole camera crew following you around on your adventures, considering the action packed, life-endangering exploits you are involved in (and which are meticulously recounted on your various boards.ie instalments). :o

I.m sure anyone who attempts to stand up for Palestinians rights in gaza/israel is going to have to put up with some action packed, life endangering "adventures" unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

When i was a kid my folks had a cab office in doorset street and one night i was in there and this guy that worked there his freind came in and he let him in the office and he was heroin addict he took out a needle in front of me and was lookin for a vein /sick if i see a needle i now go pale and some times pass out.

Biggins wrote: »
    Sadly for that incident, yes.
    He never got over it - I think he killed himself (I could be wrong but I think so).
    I can understand the depths of depression that he must have suffered.

You see things that as soon as you do, you wish to heavens you hadn't of seen - for you know they will effect you deeply.
    Its at times like that, you wish to "something", that you could turn back the clock.
    Good, im glad he killed himself. How anyone can just "observe" in situations like that is beyond me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good, im glad he killed himself. How anyone can just "observe" in situations like that is beyond me.
    Plus he actually waited for the vulture to spread its wings to get a better shot, then chased it away and brought her to a feeding station AFAIR.

That said, his ending and the demons who brought him there was sad. I can't sit and judge another for not helping. His example may be an extreme, but I ask you, have you ever stood by watching a scene unfold, a scene where you could have helped, but through fear or simple inaction did nothing? Few of us, even the best of us, could answer that question with a truly honest no. I call anyone who does a liar, if only to him or herself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Maybe you should step back and consider the bigger picture, there were obviously thousands of similar children in similar states of starvation, I'm sure the photographer was pretty much surrounded by these situations.
    Also how do you know the photographer didn't help the child out after the picture was taken? Another point is what would you have done? Do you think it inhumane to take the picture/ I think its possibly doing more damage to not take the picture and show the whole world the reality of starvation in the 3rd world. In fact I'd be fairly confident that this picture incouraged alot of people to donate more to the likes of Concern etc.
    Bit of a stupid comment to say that the photographer deserved to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

jonsnow wrote: »
    I.m sure anyone who attempts to stand up for Palestinians rights in gaza/israel is going to have to put up with some action packed, life endangering "adventures" unfortunately.

Lets examine something shall we...
    A group of kids had been throwing rocks at an APC and a soldier in it opened fire on them. One of the kids was riddled with bullets in front of me. I was in a doorway just behind the kids.

"I was in a doorway right behind the kids"

People in doorways 'right behind' anyone getting shot at - gets shot too!.

Well time I spoke up..

I was going to recount some experience's for the thread, but after reading about other's who have seen their close friends & relations die, or get seriously injuried mine pale into insignificance.

Sure, in 25yrs of military service I've seen lots of things. I've seen the Israeli Defence Forces seemingly & routinely bomb wide area's of South Lebanon for nothing more that to harass.

I've seen two Israeli soldiers on a mine sweep blown to bits, one unfortunately hanging on whilst he was disemblowed and his jaw blown away. Only to die on our post waiting for an IDF 'copter.

I've been involved in the rescue/recovery of the bodies of five young children who brought an unexploded 155mm HE bomb into their home - how they achieved this no one know's, although most suspected it was brought in to be used later as an IED.

I've received treatment for Post Traumatic Stress after my experiences in Lebanon - I'd one recurrent dream that I was a child, back in my bedroom in the flat in Ballymun, and opposite was Thomas Clark tower and atop the tower was an Israeli compound whose tank fired at my bedroom night & day.

I was on leave in Israel and was almost caught up in a suicide attack, I escaped thankfully but the scene's are still very real and stay with me.

But that was all work, and not my personal life.

Outside of work I've had it very easy compared to those in this thread who've decided to be honest & open with their tales, and now (these days) I can disassociate my private & working lives and I've had it damned easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

LoanShark wrote: »
    I saw a woman being run over by a truck at a shopping centre..She was crossing the zebra crossing with her pram and truck went over her but the pram got wedged at an angle between the axle and back wheel...I can still hear the child screaming...

I also saw a woman being sucked under a truck in Christchurch, I was sitting in traffic at the lights and the woman walk out in front of a bus and the truck took off and caused a vacum that sucked her under, I can still see her body freezing up and the truck wheels dragging her along the road..

Superquinn, Carlow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Mousey- wrote: »
    uckily there was a trained nurse out on the piss at a chipper down the road and knew what to do.

She knew to call an ambulance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Another bad thing I've seen were a group of kids, half of whom had lepracy jump onto the car I was in, begging for food. The worst thing was that you couldn't give them anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've received treatment for Post Traumatic Stress after my experiences in Lebanon - I'd one recurrent dream that I was a child, back in my bedroom in the flat in Ballymun, and opposite was Thomas Clark tower and atop the tower was an Israeli compound whose tank fired at my bedroom night & day.

That wasn't a dream, that actually happened, I used to live in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

poisonated wrote: »
    Another bad thing I've seen were a group of kids, half of whom had lepracy jump onto the car I was in, begging for food. The worst thing was that you couldn't give them anything.

Yeah I remember seeing that, I used to live in Ballymun.

DonJose wrote: »
    That wasn't a dream, that actually happened, I used to live in Ballymun.

That was me throwing rocks at your sister's bedroom :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Childbirth, its not a spectator sport

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Childbirth, its not a spectator sport

Speaking as one who been a spectator twice - it was the most wonderful & beautiful thing I've ever seen.

When my son was born I cried like a baby, I couldn't stop. I was totally blown away & over whelmed by the whole experience. Even now, 18 yrs later it still bring a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A woman collapsing with blood streaming from her eyes in my work. I didn't know what to do so I ran a few doors up to the chemists and shouted for help. She died a few minutes later.

I wonder now if I should have stayed and continued to hold her hand while she passed away instead of running for help. Everyone else was just standing staring at her... Poor lady.

• Advertisement

jiltloop wrote: »
    Maybe you should step back and consider the bigger picture, there were obviously thousands of similar children in similar states of starvation, I'm sure the photographer was pretty much surrounded by these situations.
    Also how do you know the photographer didn't help the child out after the picture was taken? Another point is what would you have done? Do you think it inhumane to take the picture/ I think its possibly doing more damage to not take the picture and show the whole world the reality of starvation in the 3rd world. In fact I'd be fairly confident that this picture incouraged alot of people to donate more to the likes of Concern etc.
    Bit of a stupid comment to say that the photographer deserved to die.
    Exploiting a young child near death for a photo op is one of the most morally reprehensible things ive ever heard of in my life. Its a human being, not a fcukin piece of art.

Advertisement