Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tmpj

Hi Tmpj, unfortunately we don't have that feature. But you can check the allowance remaining by using the code *100*6# this will tell you expiry date and allowance remaining. If you buy another bundle before the first one expires you get a bonus of extending both the time AND the allowance e.g. If you have 2 days and 100mb allowance remaining when you purchase another 7 day bundle you will then have 9 days with 450 mb allowance. This 'stacking' of bundles allows you to manage your data use more easily.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul, that helps considerably. Perhaps there is someone who could create a small app that checks the bundle balance periodically based on the above and notifies when balance is reaching the end?? This should be a simple task.

My experience this weekend was positive too.. I was even able to listen to a live web radio with Winamp (shoutcast streaming stations) WHILE DRIVING! which, I did not expect to happen:)

I didn't remove the proxy but it still works fine for me:rolleyes:

BR
    One Happy Customer

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ubuntulinux

Paul

Good to see Tesco mobile listening to customers and resolving issues quickly,now what about some Apple and Android for desert.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi W,

What is your experience>? Is data working for you? What kind of device have you got?

We are having an intermittent 3G issue that we are looking at so i would recommend that you switch off 3G data for the moemnt. Note also that Data Roaming as a setting needs to be on.

regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

My phone is an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade, running a Froyo 2.2 ROM. I have data enabled, and also roaming enabled. At work at the moment in south dublin and the phone says the mobile network type is HSDPA.

Installed the android speedtest.net app and got a 288kbps download speed test result.

As for experience, out at home it says the mobile network type is EDGE, but prior to switching from meteor the phone registered 3G.

So I guess is this type of speed expected on the tesco network?, i.e. should the phone indicate 3G as was the case under meteor, or is it a device/configure issue? Setup the APNs as described in this thread.

Thanks for any assistance

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Hi Paul,

My phone is an Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade, running a Froyo 2.2 ROM. I have data enabled, and also roaming enabled. At work at the moment in south dublin and the phone says the mobile network type is HSDPA.

Installed the android speedtest.net app and got a 288kbps download speed test result.

As for experience, out at home it says the mobile network type is EDGE, but prior to switching from meteor the phone registered 3G.

So I guess is this type of speed expected on the tesco network?, i.e. should the phone indicate 3G as was the case under meteor, or is it a device/configure issue? Setup the APNs as described in this thread.

Thanks for any assistance

W.

Hi W,

Yes, sounds like its setup correctly and working as expected. Even though the phone will inidcate HSDPA when you are in areas of 3G coverage our highest download speeds are 3G at around 400kbps . Upload is around the same speed.

You may not have Tesco Mobile 3G coverage around your home place (our geographical coverage is provided by O2 and will be the same as with an O2 SIM). You probably have Meteor 3G coverage in that location based on your experience.

With EDGE you will get download speeds of around 40-70kbps.

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Paul,

Any chance I can give you my details to get a Micro SIM sent out?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Paul,

Any chance I can give you my details to get a Micro SIM sent out?

Thanks.

Hi Epic,

Please PM to me and I will have Care send one out to you.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

hi paul sorry only getting back now about the proxy issue .my phone is a sony c510 its set up properly but wont load anything witout proxy enabled..also me and two other reletives are not getting texts from people on three since today ive my own three phone and have tested with that text are sending just not being recheved on the tesco phones whats going on are 3 and tesco havin communiction problems between eachothers networks ?was fine before today.i know there were issues with o2 data today is tesco mobile being hit with problems too as your on the o2 network

jay93 wrote: »
    hi paul sorry only getting back now about the proxy issue .my phone is a sony c510 its set up properly but wont load anything witout proxy enabled..also me and two other reletives are not getting texts from people on three since today ive my own three phone and have tested with that text are sending just not being recheved on the tesco phones whats going on are 3 and tesco havin communiction problems between eachothers networks ?was fine before today.i know there were issues with o2 data today is tesco mobile being hit with problems too as your on the o2 network

Hi Jay93, It should work fine with or without the proxy os dont worry about removing it if its causing you issues (data will be unrestricted anyway). We were not affected by O2's data issues. i will check into the 3 text issue as i had not heard of an issue here. regards Paul

jay93 wrote: »

Hi Jay

We have checked and texts from 3 to Tesco Mobile are delivering OK.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

hi paul thanks for the reply!i have just left the proxy enabled as the 3G service works perfect with the proxy on..still havin the texts problem tough .even webtexts from three wont go through to your network..however the people i have been sending them to live in the same area as me could suggest a cell problem in the area..really wanted to use the last of my free texts with three but they are now useless as most people i know are on tesco!looks like ill have to go get tesco credit now even tough i cant afford it!thanks for your help paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

I've encountered problems with texts also when texting someone that was on holidays in Spain.
    They are Vodafone clients and were able to send and receive texts from Ireland and the only 2 texts they didn't receive were sent by me via Tescomobile.
    In both cases the messages showed on my iphone as having been sent and I've had no problem texting within Ireland.
    Does anyone know if there is a problem texting someone that is abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Cant text my bro in Canada.

All networks have some international destinations that are a problem for international texting. We have issues with Vodafone Spain and a few other destinations presently. We are working on these issues and expect to resolve before end May.

Regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Still not much use discovering that people are not receiving text messages until AFTER they return to Ireland.
    I sent 2 texts to my sister who was in Spain for the past 2 weeks in response to texts she had sent to me. These texts were both only received by her this morning - a day after she got back to Ireland!

To a non techie person it wouldn't seem an insurmountable problem if Vodafone customers in Spain can text Tesco Mobile customers in Ireland successfully but the reverse doesn't work.

Bottom line is that like most people I wouldn't have expected a text message sent on 6th March to be delivered on 18th March when recipient is back in Ireland.
    If customers knew there are problems then they can try other options but if they don't then it is really up to Tesco Mobile to alert customers.
    As far as we know I was the only person to encounter texting issues and am also the only one that was using Tesco Mobile

logonmar wrote: »
    Still not much use discovering that people are not receiving text messages until AFTER they return to Ireland.
    I sent 2 texts to my sister who was in Spain for the past 2 weeks in response to texts she had sent to me. These texts were both only received by her this morning - a day after she got back to Ireland!

To a non techie person it wouldn't seem an insurmountable problem if Vodafone customers in Spain can text Tesco Mobile customers in Ireland successfully but the reverse doesn't work.

Bottom line is that like most people I wouldn't have expected a text message sent on 6th March to be delivered on 18th March when recipient is back in Ireland.
    If customers knew there are problems then they can try other options but if they don't then it is really up to Tesco Mobile to alert customers.
    As far as we know I was the only person to encounter texting issues and am also the only one that was using Tesco Mobile

Hi logonmar, I fully accept this is not a good experience and it is our top priority to resolve. We do have a wide coverage on 2 way international text with some exceptions which we will have plugged in May. regards Paul

I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

Is there any news on webtexts. Im still waiting for them on Tesco before moving.

jamesbrond wrote: »
    Is there any news on webtexts. Im still waiting for them on Tesco before moving.

No major update yet. Still expecting to have them around early summer

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

Just seen the latest range of phones Paul anymore due out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭long_b

Any update on full HSDPA speeds Paul?

wilford wrote: »
    Just seen the latest range of phones Paul anymore due out soon?

Yes, some more on the way over the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Any update on full HSDPA speeds Paul?

No update as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Paul

I am having trouble with the apn settings on my Samsung Galaxy S. Settings I am currently using are:

NAME: Tesco Mobile Internet

APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com

PROXY: 10.1.11.19

PORT: 8080

USERNAME: not set

PASSWORD: not set

SERVER: not set

MMSC: http://mmc1/servelets/mms

MMS PROXY: 10.1.11.19

MMS PORT: 8080

MMC: 272

MNC: 11

AUTHENTICATION TYPE: PAP

APN TYPE: Internet + mms

Basically with these setting I can get an edge / H connect for a few hours and then all of a sudden my connection will dissappear and the apn settings will no longer appear in Access Point Names. If I reboot my phone the settings will reappear and I can get a connection again. I get the same issue if I use the WAP and MMS settings sent from http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Any ideas? Driving me nuts for the past 2 days

franman wrote: »
    Paul

I am having trouble with the apn settings on my Samsung Galaxy S. Settings I am currently using are:

Basically with these setting I can get an edge / H connect for a few hours and then all of a sudden my connection will dissappear and the apn settings will no longer appear in Access Point Names. If I reboot my phone the settings will reappear and I can get a connection again. I get the same issue if I use the WAP and MMS settings sent from http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Hi Fran

The settings are correct.

This sounds phone software related. Is this an operator variant (Voda, Meteor etc)? It sounds like the software is trying to reset the APN settings.

regards
    Paul

Paul

Actually on second thoughts..

You dont need the proxy for internet...this shouldnt be affecting but it might be causing you an issue. Also turn authentication to Net Set also

PROXY: not set
    PORT: not set
    AUTHENTICATION TYPE: not set

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Hi Fran

The settings are correct.

This sounds phone software related. Is this an operator variant (Voda, Meteor etc)? It sounds like the software is trying to reset the APN settings.

regards
    Paul

Phone was bought new and sim free from amazon.co.uk. I'll try the new settings you suggested and see do they make any difference. Failing that do you think it could be a sim problem or should I just reset to factory default settings and start again? Im currently on stock 2.2.1 firmware.

Phone was bought new and sim free from amazon.co.uk. I'll try the new settings you suggested and see do they make any difference. Failing that do you think it could be a sim problem or should I just reset to factory default settings and start again? Im currently on stock 2.2.1 firmware.

Hmm, should be no issue then. Unlikely to be SIM related but its a small possibility I guess that the SIM is faulty...

Try the new settings and if that doesnt work try a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clarkeed

Hi Paul,
    my htc desire has been working great on the internet, but today for the first time someone sent me a mms and it keeps on failing! i have two APN's setup as per your post re: update for android phones but mms wont come through any ideas?

Hi Paul,

also comes up with message not downloaded "generic network failure" after mms fails to download.

Cheers in advance

clarkeed wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

also comes up with message not downloaded "generic network failure" after mms fails to download.

Cheers in advance

Hi Clarkeed

Can you list out the settings you have in the MMS APN? You need default or MMS in the APN Type on some android phones

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

Hi Paul,
    i have the following settings on my HTC Desire for mms

Name: TMI MMS APN
    MMSC:http//mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy:10.1.11.19
    MMS Protocol : wap 2.0
    MCC: 272